Brentford FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Chance of back to back wins?

Brenford Win
23%
Ipswich Win
23%
Draw
54%

Total votes: 13

ipswichtownNo1

Re: Brentford FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:58 pm

Ando wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:55 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:33 pm
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:49 pm

Away on holiday and just managed to catch the last 10 mins of first half on sky app. SHOCKINGLY POOR !

Have a good holiday No1, don’t spoil it watching our lot it’s getting depressing. Hope you’re staying somewhere nice.
How did you get the extra games up on the sky go app?
Arr well thats why i only got the last 10 mins of first half. Cant get red button games on skygo which i wasnt aware of. Finally i googled it and you need to download the sky sports app and use your normal sky login info and bingo, all the games are there to view.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:43 pm

Yes indeed, as already stated by some, a really poor performance, pretty much turned as early as Quaners terrible miss which should have put us ahead, game over with Downes unfortunate slip.

I think tonite looked very much like the lads have given up which considering what they've been through is hardly surprising. Still we haven't been put out of our misery but it's now imminent. Fantastic atmosphere once more which made it bearable. ITID

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:48 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:43 pm
Yes indeed, as already stated by some, a really poor performance, pretty much turned as early as Quaners terrible miss which should have put us ahead, game over with Downes unfortunate slip.

I think tonite looked very much like the lads have given up which considering what they've been through is hardly surprising. Still we haven't been put out of our misery but it's now imminent. Fantastic atmosphere once more which made it bearable. ITID
Well fu k em. If they have given up why should we continue to provide that sort of support. What they have been through is mostly down to them. To play like that is unacceptable, if the wanna give up and cruise to league 1, maybe start paying league 1 wages now. Maybe they might buck thiwr ideas up and try ffs

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:

I think tonite looked very much like the lads have given up
I didn't think it liked like that. I thought they were really trying hard. But we were just completely outplayed. Defence ripped apart. No creativity.. No goal threat. Tactically outplayed too, they came at us with width and we had no answer at all.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:16 pm

Ando wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:55 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:33 pm
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:49 pm

Away on holiday and just managed to catch the last 10 mins of first half on sky app. SHOCKINGLY POOR !

Have a good holiday No1, don’t spoil it watching our lot it’s getting depressing. Hope you’re staying somewhere nice.
How did you get the extra games up on the sky go app?
I watch it on my tv using a little black box called iptv, I can pretty much watch any Premier League or Championship Match live even on a Saturday afternoon, I doubt it’s legal but it’s readily available and easy to use, like you I’ve never mastered how to select a match using the App and have been restricted to watching the main game which was one of the reasons I bought my black box !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:19 pm

Andym wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:51 pm
Bluemike wrote:

I didn't think it liked like that. I thought they were really trying hard. But we were just completely outplayed. Defence ripped apart. No creativity.. No goal threat. Tactically outplayed too, they came at us with width and we had no answer at all.

.... add to that Brentford’s pace and purpose and slick passing and you have it in one. I know it’s always different watching on tv compared with being at the game live, but like you from what I witnessed I thought we tried hard and played with energy but we simply aren’t good enough to play in this League. Personally I find it so sad that we’ve declined this badly over recent years as I honestly never expected to see us drop out of the Championship. Sadly I’m in the camp where I think there’s a serious risk of the decline rolling over into next season and I have little confidence in us managing a quick bounce back. I desperately hope I’ve got it wrong, unfortunately I think that’s unlikely.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:25 am

Not sure why bothering to respond. Maybe having a user account for eleven + years, maybe having an interest in his particular club side for many seasons before it. Fact of the matter is it's a sh*t state of affairs whichever way you view it.

4 wins in 41 games, a minus 35 goal tally, eliminations in cup games at the earliest opportunity to inferior opponents, easily the worst season I've been involved with here which once again goes back considerable time.

Seemed to be a clear lack of confidence this evening, players accepting their fate and total deficiency of even trying to put something together. Execution has been averted for another week, all that's left is for Birmingham to administer the last rites at home this Saturday. It's a shame for those who get to witness most weeks as a live audience but the situation we're at is no-one's fault but our own.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:15 am

Andym wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:23 pm
Plenty of effort but that's all. Embarrassingly poor in all areas. Don't think we have had a shot this half. After a few half decent performances, this one makes you wonder how much we might struggle in league 1.
Struggle in League One? With our 'magnificent' youngsters whom the large number of our fans keep bigging up?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:07 am

Andym wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:51 pm
Bluemike wrote:

I tend to agree... just outplayed by a very slick, technically better side. There was effort there, but we had no outlet and just gave the ball back to Brentford who seemed to bypass our midfield at ease. It did seem men against boys for a lot of the time.

Our best chance to get something out of the game was only being 2-0 down with 10 mins to go and Brentford easing up. Judge should have scored late and that would caused a bit of worry.... but well beaten.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:59 am

I don't think we necessarily need to be too worried. Totally outplayed but in several recent games we have matched championship opposition and with a bit of luck we could have won several drawn games.

While I would be very surprised if we were relegated again next season, I think last night should make people realise that promotion won't be easy either. I can understand the Detrick / Rossi bet, I wouldn't like to predict at this stage which half of the table we will finish in.

I'm still expecting a more enjoyable season as we play in a league where we can compete.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:58 am

Reality check time

We got out played, out muscled and got what we deserved. So? Give Brentford credit

Number of changes again, quite a few forced upon. Every team no matter how good lose from time to time. Just take it on the chin, we got out played on the night by the better team.
No idea how we hit the post mind and i do think PL is right that was massive turning point. We score and that would raised us up but we didn't score and soon after they did and huge slip up for second not long after but its one of the few game where we were actually out played in.

Nobody likes losing but at least can accept it more when the better team wins and that's what happened on the night, well played Brentford

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:02 am

I hate bigging up the opposition but I can’t believe just how much Brentford have improved over the period we’ve been in decline. As recent as 2008 they were playing in League Two, didn’t spend £1m on a player until 2014, and the club record transfer fee paid out is still only the £2.1m paid out when they purchased Andreas Bjellend from Twente.

I think 2008 was the first full year Marcus Evans owned Ipswich Town FC, now I just wonder if that’s just a strange coincidence.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:26 am

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:02 am
I hate bigging up the opposition but I can’t believe just how much Brentford have improved over the period we’ve been in decline. As recent as 2008 they were playing in League Two, didn’t spend £1m on a player until 2014, and the club record transfer fee paid out is still only the £2.1m paid out when they purchased Andreas Bjellend from Twente.

I think 2008 was the first full year Marcus Evans owned Ipswich Town FC, now I just wonder if that’s just a strange coincidence.
Brentford have definately both punched above their weight and are playing very good football.

I knew they decided to close their academy, which is controversial, but seems to be working.

Found that interesting and from an article in 2017 ... the reasons being... “

at a cost of around £2m a year, Brentford decided it was simply too much of a risk that their academy – with so much competition on its doorstep in London – would produce enough first-team players to make that investment worthwhile. Instead they are focused on recruiting young players between 17 and 20 who have been released by academies in the Premier League, as well as talent from “undervalued markets” overseas.
There isn’t much point in us going to scout young talent in lower league clubs as every Premier League club can out-spend and out-resource us. It’s actually a waste of resources/time for us, so instead we want to have in-depth knowledge on the ones who may be released from the big clubs.

Give them credit... they appear very shrewd in recruitment.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:51 am

Imagine the uproar if we closed our academy! Theres lots of ways to skin a cat, but I think with Ipswich being a fair way from most places, it is worth keeping the academy. And we have been lucky enough to produce some decent players through it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:08 am

Yeah but apparently ours are only bang average.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:14 am

nicscreamer wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:51 am
Imagine the uproar if we closed our academy! Theres lots of ways to skin a cat, but I think with Ipswich being a fair way from most places, it is worth keeping the academy. And we have been lucky enough to produce some decent players through it.
Agreed, not the intention to suggest we close the academy, but having a clear plan is essential.... like getting as many academy kids into the first team. Not sure playing a team full of kids will get us anywhere in League 1, but we should be getting more in and around the team from now on. That’s pretty much what Lambert has been saying. No point in having an academy if they just win the under 23 league and that’s it. It could well be the cheap option, but having an academy isn’t cheap either. Hopefully, next year some of these kids will kick on.

I’ll be honest, I got a bit cheesed off over the years when our academy gets praised so much and, yet, hasn’t produced that many players who manage 50+ appearances here and go on to a higher level. Was Conor Wickham the last one who went this route? Not having a pop at the academy, but it’s got to produce more first team regulars and ones that get sold on for decent profit.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:54 pm

We've just sold 16 yo Ben Knight for 1 Million and the boy Flores for a little bit less.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:31 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:54 pm
We've just sold 16 yo Ben Knight for 1 Million and the boy Flores for a little bit less.
True... and Charlie Brown to Chelsea for a million... that’s not peanuts. I’ve got no problem if one or two are sold at 16 for that money, if it helps finance the academy for others to make a mark here. It’s pretty harsh to say our youth are bog standard, but have we genuinely produced first team regulars or players that move on for big money?

The last big money we received for a youngster was Mings and he’s more from the Brentford model... was at Southampton academy, released and picked up via Chipppenham FC at about 17. Just saying.
Hopefully, in a year’s time we’ll have a few youngsters with 30 or 40 more first team appearances to go with their League One winners medal.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:34 pm

No we haven't, I think the years that Klug was kicked out into the wilderness by that fuckwit Keane had to catch up eventually.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:55 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:34 pm
No we haven't, I think the years that Klug was kicked out into the wilderness by that fuckwit Keane had to catch up eventually.
Very true . And an over-reliance on hairy-arsed blokes and loanees

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:06 am

Lol :lol: