A Message From Marcus Evans

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

A Message From Marcus Evans

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:59 am

Club owner apologises to fans but says fightback starts now and Town will come back stronger

Town owner Marcus Evans has written a personal letter to supporters that will be published in the Club’s season ticket brochure that will go out at the end of this week. Below are extracts from the letter in which he outlines the Club’s plans for the future and the challenge of returning to the Championship…

Before I talk about the future, which I truly am positive about, I want to personally apologise to you for the position the Club finds itself in at the moment.

We tried something different at the start of the season. For one reason or another it didn’t work, and you will have your own views as to what went wrong, but clearly mistakes have been made and as owner, I have to take overall responsibility for that.

Now my responsibility is to take this great club forwards again. Paul Lambert, as our manager, is obviously a key part of that plan and whilst results on the pitch have not been as we would have hoped for, performances and entertainment levels have vastly improved and most importantly as the manager has had time to work with the players, most of whom will be the core of next year’s team, we have recently been competitive with the best teams in the Championship.

As our young team develops and improves, this foundation has to be encouraging to all of us as a positive indication that we are now going in the right direction. We will quite rightly expect this team to carry on with this competiveness in the lower league next season.

These players, who are still learning the game at the highest levels, all need a significant run of matches to consolidate their position in the first-team and whilst there is a place for one or two loans and players who can bring vital experience in the latter stages of their careers, the majority of the squad need to be younger players who will be improving week by week.

Where we don’t have talent in the building that is ready for developing in a particular position and it’s clear that we need to invest to improve we will do so but we will not bring in anyone who blocks our own players’ development and we will ensure we give our young homegrown players a run of games. They will make mistakes, but as long as they learn from those mistakes we will have a team that gets better and better.

We need players on the pitch who are the future of Ipswich for the next five or six years, not just for one or two seasons, whose development our coaches can influence and who are on the upward curve of their playing career.

Much of this was the plan for last summer however it didn’t work out the way we planned. In Paul Lambert and his team, we have a group of excellent coaches who are completely invested in the strategy.

I cannot doubt the loyal support you have shown the Club through thick and thin but now we need everyone’s support and togetherness more than ever.

We are playing the attractive, entertaining football that I think you want to see. I certainly do. I have seen the players applauded off in many games this season, even after defeat, so I think that shows you are appreciating the way Paul is getting the team to play. Of course, it’s about winning football matches though and that is something that we have to put right.

Paul, our general manager of football operations, Lee O’Neill, and myself have had numerous meetings over the last four or five months to discuss the future direction of the Club.

We are all united in the strong belief that our young players need to be given a pathway into the first-team and a chance to establish themselves at that level, not just a few games here or there but over a period of time. Developing and nurturing our own players and giving them first-team opportunities are at the core of our focus going forward. They will need patience but it’s the way forward for Ipswich Town. I want you to witness the excitement of a team developing week in, week out and see this turning this into a winning formula.

We will still retain that balance of experienced players around them of course. Players like Bart Bialkowski, Alan Judge, Luke Chambers and Cole Skuse will provide that guidance for our young players to progress.

As stated earlier it’s not our intention to bring in loan players in any numbers. We may have one or two but the plan is to provide that pathway for our young players, rather than use the loan market.

I have become much more hands-on at the Club since the turn of the year and that will continue. I’m not going to hide from the fact that these are challenging times at the Club but sometimes out of adversity you become stronger. That is our aim.
I am also putting plans in place to take Ipswich Town deeper into the local community, working closer than ever before with schools, charities and local organisations. There will be more on that over the coming weeks.

I know Paul has been amazed and humbled as well by the backing he, personally, and the team have received from you the fans and he is determined to repay that support in the years ahead.

With Paul as our manager, we have the right man to take us forward. I will provide all the support I can to him but we need your continued fantastic support as well.

It seems strange to say this but we are not a club in crisis , we are once again already developing our community roots; we are financially stable; we have a proven management team intent on doing things going forwards in the Ipswich way and whilst the foundations have already been laid to move onwards and upwards THE REAL FIGHTBACK STARTS NOW to get back into the Championship and then on from there.
Pleasing to hear Lambert is definitely going to be here, I think we all knew the kids were going to be a big part of next season and I think we all back that stategy.

ashfordblue

Re: A Message From Marcus Evans

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:39 pm

:roll: Yeh yeh, we've heard all this before from our elusive owner, get your arse out on the pitch with a loud speaker and bloody well talk to the fans face to face, not all this sitting behind your desk with written notes, do a John Cobbold or a David Sheepshanks get out there and meet and greet the fans, they will think more highly of you for the effort.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:39 pm

I can only imagine how excited the youngsters must be. Imagine being an academy player trying to break into the first team, and then things change and you become the impetus of the squad. I would have loved that sort of challenge as player. What a fantastic opportunity for these youngsters to prove their abilities and to begin shaping their careers.

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:56 pm

Wow So Impressed....

Think I have stopped crying now.. :astroll:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:55 pm

I think I’ll hazard a guess that to feel the overwhelming positivity, then you had to be physically present at Portman Road yesterday. From afar, I’m not really feeling the positivity to such an extent, and will read the crock of Shyte from the owner later on when more time is available.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:11 pm

I need the tissues :astroll:

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:19 pm

Why am I not convinced?

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:30 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:19 pm
Why am I not convinced?
Probably because like me, you are not impressed with words or people who just say nice things..

Only thing ever required within this club from Ownership to Management to Players was actions..

They do speak louder than words..

:wink:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:50 pm

Should have read something along the lines of :

"I apologize for playing a significant part in this clubs demise, my position is now untenable and have long outstayed my welcome. I promise things but they ultimately come to nothing but have tired now and in the past to appease people with random reassurances that are essentially futile. I tender my resignation from the role of ownership for the future prosperity of the club name"

At least with that I would have had more respect for the individual.

I don't know maybe I'm wrong or can't see the full picture. But view Evans as a disingenuous toad who (very) occasionally crawls out from under it's stone in extreme times of need. People say he's invested some 90 million into the club but don't believe it myself.

Guess that's the last we'll hear of him for some considerable time or at least until the next "crisis" arises. It's all words and no action, for fucks sake just invest some substantial money into the team, give Lambert something to work with to make next season competible. I don't know how some can remain in favor of the individual whenever you see it mentioned. That's all the time I'll allow it for now.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:57 pm

OK lets say that happens, who is writing the cheque for 180K tomorrow morning which I believe is the amount ME hands over every week ? Something like that anyway. Any offers anyone ? Then next week? Any takers on that week ? Or the next ? And the next ? Thought not.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:22 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:57 pm
OK lets say that happens, who is writing the cheque for 180K tomorrow morning which I believe is the amount ME hands over every week ? Something like that anyway. Any offers anyone ? Then next week? Any takers on that week ? Or the next ? And the next ? Thought not.
:roll: Gate receipts from yesterdays match will cover it, around £250k

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Couldn't agree more, Mike. On this site, we are, more often than not, pretty positive and constructive but if you happen to stray onto TWTD I am not sure why (or if) 80% of posters are Town fans (or have half an ounce of sense) they are so pessimistic! I have expressed recently that negative views are valid but without anything constructive attached other than - 'Evans needs to go' they just add to a downward spiral of depression. So - why not start with some constructive ideas about how things may be improved and some suggestions of how we can get behind such ideas? I could start it off but I am already reasonably happy with the swing towards positive football, nurturing young talent, PL's approach etc are taking us. Yes, we are relegated, no there is no guarantee of success in Lge 1 and yes Evans may not have thrown in an additional £10m a season over and above what he does anyway but who else is going to do it? Maybe we will get new owners at some point but I bet if we scrolled back 10 years, most posters on here and TWTD would have been doing back flips at the thought of ME taking ownership! I remember being at Carrow Road and most of the Town fans singing ''we're f@cking loaded!' - how silly do they feel now? Or maybe we get a Chinese consortium (like Wolves) and it works great - or maybe we we get the oyston's or the chicken farmers that screwed up Blackburn? People slate us (some on this site) to be careful what we wished for regarding MM - yet they are happy to do it all again when it comes to kicking out ME? Truth is, we just don't know what we are going to get (if anything), so lets get behind the direction we are going. If not, who can come up with some better (and credible) options to improve things?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:49 pm

My sentiments exactly Blue Wilf!

Let’s see what happens from here on in.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:35 pm

Couldn't put it better myself Wilf.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:00 am

This thread should be renamed the “politics / religion” thread. No harmony will shine through in this thread. But a good debate could. Hopefully doesn’t descend into anarchy and chaos.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:15 am

Mankind's eventual reaction following setback or adversity is to look for the positives and move forward. There's nothing unique here about those remaining resolute in optimism.

Of course our demise was sealed some weeks back, fans knew relegation was near inevitable. It's not as if we fell away on the last weekend or it was decided on one score or afternoon. Point being, (it) may have offered a cushion to the eventual dismay and bad feeling. I don't bother much with Those Were The Days but recent visits have been mixed.

What you can ascertain is that many of the fanbase have an issue with certain personnel within the club structure. Not saying they're wrong or right, what Mark said we don't need topics to degenerate into free-for-alls, but many have earned their right to speak out, be it by regular attendance or years of allegiance. Best guess solution : It's a sorry state of affairs but count your blessings and realize there's greater concerns in life than what occurs on (and off) the field.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:32 am

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:11 pm
I need the tissues :astroll:
Did not realize you got so excited over ME talking!! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:54 am

😆