Preston North End vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Playing for Pride

Preston Win
50%
Ipswich Win
8%
Draw
42%

Total votes: 12

shamm

Re: Preston North End vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by shamm » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:25 pm

Cannot even go down with pride. I’m fearful for next season! :roll:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:57 pm

Well that was a deflating first half. Two brilliant strikes.... but leading up to those goals just defensive errors from Kenlock and Emmanuel. If we’re going with kids.... they’ll have to learn quick. Judge is trying his best... Bishop has also made some good runs. Give goals away and toothless. Same old. I’d expect to see Keane on pretty soon in the second half.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:59 pm

Not in it at all, Bishop far and away our best player, defensively very poor, down our right side looking very suspect, great save from Bart prevented it being Three.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:07 pm

f*ck, cant get into a Friday being a footie day, too many other distractions. Cant find a live coverage anywhere but have found Brum v Derby County which looks to have been an exciting first half. In all honesty as far as Town are concerned I can’t wait for this season to end and start again with a clean sheet, I just wish I could feel more optimistic about next season.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:14 pm

Without wishing to stir it (well, not too much!) I really don't understand why Knudsen took so much stick yet we tolerate Emmanuel and Kenlock. I guess it's the "one of our own" syndrome that me and they get less criticism. Defensively they are both liabilities.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:20 pm

It was a "that'll be that then" scenario......., now its "that'll really be that then"......., end the season.

shamm

Post by shamm » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:39 pm

Stop the clock please. 4-0

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:42 pm

This will help Sell season tickets. f**king disgrace. :x

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:05 pm

Oh dear. Maybe the players have now given up for the season? Can’t see Monday being any better .
An embarrassing end to an embarrassing season

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:06 pm

S

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:08 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:06 pm
S
Exactly! You make the point succinctly

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:25 pm

Probably the worst I've seen this season, I suppose given the events of last week it's hardly surprising, we didn't roll over we were just second best all over the pitch. Three more games to suffer before this torrid campaign is over.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:38 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:08 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:06 pm
S
Exactly! You make the point succinctly
It was a struggle to type the extra letters h I t and e.

I’m with Derrick. :)

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:17 pm

Andym wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:14 pm
Without wishing to stir it (well, not too much!) I really don't understand why Knudsen took so much stick yet we tolerate Emmanuel and Kenlock. I guess it's the "one of our own" syndrome that me and they get less criticism. Defensively they are both liabilities.
Well I think Knudsen got a free ride for 2 1/2 seasons. He made mistakes, but he was more solid than the current FB’s. But he was terrible at passing the ball. I don’t understand why he made the Danish side.

I like Kenlock... he’s made mistakes but how he is ( or any other ) going to learn when you’re not getting the chance?. He’s much better than Knudsen going forward, and it’s up to coaching to up his game defensively. He always wants the ball and wants to look up and give a pass to someone. As for Emmanuel, his first half was poor and I wouldn’t be surprised we let go of him.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:27 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:17 pm
Andym wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:14 pm
Well I think Knudsen got a free ride for 2 1/2 seasons. He made mistakes, but he was more solid than the current FB’s. But he was terrible at passing the ball. I don’t understand why he made the Danish side.

I like Kenlock... he’s made mistakes but how he is ( or any other ) going to learn when you’re not getting the chance?. He’s much better than Knudsen going forward, and it’s up to coaching to up his game defensively. He always wants the ball and wants to look up and give a pass to someone. As for Emmanuel, his first half was poor and I wouldn’t be surprised we let go of him.
I agree with much of what you say. Kenlock is good going forward. But defensively he isn't as good as Knudsen.

When he atrived, Knudsen was shocking. He took a lot of stick. He improved and still took a lot of stick. The home grown youngsters get a much easier ride from the fans. And when you look at how many goals we have
conceded this sesson I think I'd prefer a defender who can defend to one who gets forward better.

Probably the best answer would have been to play Knudsen as part of a central back 3 with Kenlock as a wing back. And as you say, I think Emmanuel will be gone.

In fairness to all of them, they get precious little support from our wide players. I think it just shows how short of quality we are all over the pitch.

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:14 pm

Played 43, won 4. Is this going to be some kind of unwanted record?
Make me eat my words ITFC, I'm dreading League 1 :cry:

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:27 pm

mugen1 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:14 pm
I watched the first half of the Burton v Portsmouth match today. It was dire. Gave me hope that we can survive at that level. But we do need to find full backs who can defend, a teamfull of players who can pass, and enough players getting forward into the box.

I believe the feel good factor that gas existed recently is partly based on a sense of relief that it's over and we can stop worrying, but also a misplaced belief we can win the league. We have had a few decent games that we might have won, but more recent performances have seen us display all the faults again; can't defend, no imagination , and one isolated up front. But I think Lambert will be aware that most of the squad aren't good enough.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:30 pm

What we have to remember with Knudsen is that he pretty much made it clear he doesn't want to be here, thinks he's better than what he is, at least Kenlock wants to wear the shirt and in my opinion is much better anyway and as Tang says can only improve with games, Knudsen played loads and is still sh*te.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:15 pm

I think this season can’t end soon enough.

However, I think despite the loss today ( it was always going to happen at PNE), these last few games will give Lambert the chance to really sound out some of our younger players . It will be invaluable to him in what must be viewed as an extended pre season, with 3 competitive games for them to stake their claim for place in the squad next season. It’s up to them to push themselves now.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:53 pm

I agree, these games are experimental, today we played Bishop, Downes, El Mizouni, Emmanuel and Kenlock so all very young. I am hearing Chambo is not being selected Monday as Lambert wants to look at somebody else, probably Ndaba.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:55 pm

mugen1 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:14 pm
Is that statistic really factual ? Can't be bothered to verify but won't dispute, sounds about correct in all truth. Simply embarrassing if not shameful. Can't be bothered to castigate the manager, it's a f**king futile endeavor. Three wins in 28 games tells it as it is but many will continue to continued plaudits and continued recognition. While you're at it you may want to take a moment to look at our managers previous win ratios with former club sides. Or don't.

I don't know what it is with managers at this club but for the last 15 years it's been one garbage appointment after another. Jim Magilton, Keane, Jewell, McCarthy, Hurst .... Seriously what the hell has happened here, this used to a team that was entertaining to watch and on the verge of accomplishments. It's been sh*t for as long as many can remember, of course the owner takes it's share of responsibility for lack of progress but am sick and tired of berating the individual when no change occurs or never forthcoming.

I don't like to give them any adulation but credit where it's due you take a view at Norwich and the club set-up, i.e. manager, ownership, players brought in, team ethic and motivation. Clear polar opposite of ourselves. You can bang on about the respective histories but they got themselves some serious progress underway and painful as it is to acknowledge, a team that is going places and able to challenge.

Hasn't just been today for us, it's the culmination of many weeks of sub-standard scores and performances. Some again will bury their heads in their asses and envisage some bright future ahead but got a real hard time viewing it myself. Going to get worse if there aren't some radical changes ahead in areas that hardly require elaboration.

Incidentally just had the opportunity to view highlights, and Yes, it was all the above.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:00 am

Caption contest

“Didn’t see that coming”

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:59 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:53 pm
I agree, these games are experimental, today we played Bishop, Downes, El Mizouni, Emmanuel and Kenlock so all very young. I am hearing Chambo is not being selected Monday as Lambert wants to look at somebody else, probably Ndaba.
I don’t think Chambers will be making as many games on League One as previously ( by me anyway), thought. Lambert did say s few weeks ago that time catches up with you at some point. I think if some of these youngsters can stake a bold claim in defence ( we do need young blood in there ), then Chambers’ Role may be consigned to Club captain and eventual coach . No bad thing to make a dignified back room move IMO. Still heavily involved but not on the pitch so much. Problem ya do we have the young CB’s ready to pick up that gauntlet ?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:48 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:59 am
Bluemike wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:53 pm
I don’t think Chambers will be making as many games on League One as previously ( by me anyway), thought. Lambert did say s few weeks ago that time catches up with you at some point. I think if some of these youngsters can stake a bold claim in defence ( we do need young blood in there ), then Chambers’ Role may be consigned to Club captain and eventual coach . No bad thing to make a dignified back room move IMO. Still heavily involved but not on the pitch so much. Problem ya do we have the young CB’s ready to pick up that gauntlet ?
Personally, Skuse is more of a worry for me than Chambers.

If we’re going more with youth, then these experienced players should be playing pretty much of all the games next season to provide the spine of the team. Skuse was really of the pace yesterday and was outmuscled too often. He’s supposed to be our defensive midfielder and to add bite. Everyone didn’t really perform, but you tend to expect more from the senior players. We’ve got so many midfielders, but I think we need to add an experienced tenacious midfielder who can break tackles.
Seeing that has got me worried. We need that experience, but apart from Judge, I don’t see the experienced ones setting an example on the field.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:00 am

Agree Tang, Skuse was poor yesterday but then again they all were, I know it's hard and yes we should be entitled to better than what was served up yesterday but they must be totally shell shocked right now and I think it is hard for anyone to actually perform to their best in what remains of this fuckfest of a season, it just needs to be got out of the way and forgotten for a few weeks. I don't see anyone as regulars next season, Three or Four new faces will arrive with a couple of Loanees and I expect a bit of experience to be among them, certainly experienced enough for league One anyhow.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:38 am

Yes, this season has to come to an end.

For next season, I’ve got no problem with Hurst’s signings like Edwards, Nolan and Nsiala. They were decent League 1 standard which was why we signed them. Perhaps add in Harrison and/ or Jackson. However, I don’t think we can have more than 3 or 4 young players as regular starters. I think El Mizouni and Dozzell will be too lightweight to be considered anything other than squad players. I’d like to see Downes really impose himself more as he’s probably the most physical of the youngsters. Bishop needs to shed the tag of being a youngster and be seen as a senior player. Kenlock, too.
Maybe we can’t look too much into games like these, but hopefully Lambert will learn something from a drubbing ie the type of player we need to bring in. Much depends on our budget. The quality won’t be as high in League 1, but the physicality will still be there, if not more.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:47 am

Just managed to catch some highlights. Bart needs to go. He is f**king pish.

There was one passage of play in the 2nd half where Jackson lets a Preston player waltz on by from defence. That was weird. He also looked like a primary 7 kid desparate to score when the Preston goalie and defender made an arse of it. :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:14 am

I think Jack Lankester will be the real big hope alongside Bishop next season, Nolan, Judge, Edwards, Nsiala etc all perfectly good enough, agree about Bart Marko, been pish all season, and beyond.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:28 am

Only went to Deepdale once on a depressingly cold January 5 Saturday in 1980 when Town won a 3rd Round FA Cup tie 0-3. If it was a depressing place to visit when Town won I can’t begin to imagine what it would have been like yesterday. I bet it made you feel lucky waking up in Ipswich this morning.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:58 am

I think we will see our strongest line up Monday (whatever that may be). The players are doing a lap of appreciation so they need to perform. I think had yesterday mattered we would not have seen such a experimental team.

As for Bart, yes he has been well below what we have been used too over the years but he has been exposed by a fragile back four with some schoolboy defending at times, therefore any mistake Bart makes is magnified and not all the blame should be laid at his door. The fact that Bart was player of the year in successive seasons points to the fact that MM played a back 8, I know we want our keeper to perform but should they really be player of the year? Surely you would want your forward thinking players to be that.

Because PL plays a more open attractive forward thinking style when we loose possession our players are exposed individually and some have not been good enough. Put into the mix we have not really had a decent striker all season then we are going to end up where we are. Had Lambert come in and shut up shop we would have been back to the MM days, no further forward in terms of progressing the club.

We have not won many games and Lamberts record is poor in terms of points but he has given us our club back, it maybe one step back to take two forward. We have in the main challenged those who have said "be careful what you wish for" for those who challange what PL is trying to do I say to them "be careful what you wish for"

Right time for a coffee :D