Preston North End vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Playing for Pride

Preston Win
50%
Ipswich Win
8%
Draw
42%

Total votes: 12

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Preston North End vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:35 am

Agree completely regarding the Lambert bit, not so much in agreement with Bart, yes he won player of the season Three successive seasons but I don't believe that was correct, it was a typical Ipswich fans soft vote, last season it should have been Martyn Waghorn and the season before Tom Lawrence, just my view.

I think Bart is probably the worst kicker of a ball I have ever seen, his commanding of his box is p*ss poor, he cannot catch a cold when under pressure, stays rooted to his line when he should be helping his defence out, hardly ever speaks to his defence and reaction wise is often slow to his left side in particular, yes he makes a few world class stops which is what he is there to do, I would actually question if our defence at times is as bad as it it because of a lack of a dependable keeper behind them.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:55 am

If Bart had any sell-on value then that’s disappeared this season.

I’m only saying this as we might have to generate cash to bring in players or to balance the books. Based on this season, I’m not sure we’d miss him that much. On the other hand, I don’t think Gerkens any better. I’d prefer to keep Bart more than Gerken if I’m honest as the budget could be too tight to keep two senior GK’s on the payroll. I kind of expect Bart to be here next season as I can’t see too many clubs coming in for him and he’s said hes settled in Ipswich.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:57 am

Think that was the point I was trying to make regarding Bart, he was protected by a very defence minded team. Can not disagree with your player of the year suggestions. Those two in particular dragged the club through their respective seasons and without those players we would have been in league 1 much sooner.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:06 am

Ando wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:58 am
As for Bart, yes he has been well below what we have been used too over the years but he has been exposed by a fragile back four with some schoolboy defending at times, therefore any mistake Bart makes is magnified and not all the blame should be laid at his door.....
Do agree with this but on the strength of it, went and watched those highlights again........., he looks overweight and slow. Seems extremely late to all the party's!

But agree about defence. It has been an issue for years. Ipswich haven't (arguably) had a solid defender since Hermann Hreidarsson.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:09 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:06 am
Ando wrote:
As for Bart, yes he has been well below what we have been used too over the years but he has been exposed by a fragile back four with some schoolboy defending at times, therefore any mistake Bart makes is magnified and not all the blame should be laid at his door.....
Do agree with this but on the strength of it, went and watched those highlights again........., he looks overweight and slow. Seems extremely late to all the party's!

But agree about defence. It has been an issue for years. Ipswich haven't (arguably) had a solid defender since Hermann Hreidarsson.
Berra was pretty decent for us, can't see how Bart can get over weight he has more to do than the strikers :D thus burning more calories

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:11 am

Berra is good at reading situations, seeing potential danger......., but when caught, he's a flapper.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:27 am

Ando wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:09 am
marko69 wrote:
Ando wrote:

Berra was pretty decent for us, can't see how Bart can get over weight he has more to do than the strikers :D thus burning more calories

Bart must surely have burned a few picking the ball out of the back of the net!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:41 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:27 am
Ando wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:09 am
marko69 wrote:

Bart must surely have burned a few picking the ball out of the back of the net!
LMFAO Andy, very good.

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:58 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:05 pm
Oh dear. Maybe the players have now given up for the season? Can’t see Monday being any better .
An embarrassing end to an embarrassing season

Are you possibly suggesting that they actually got started.. :?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:33 pm

:lol: :lol:

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:28 pm

Earl Blue wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:58 pm
nicscreamer wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:05 pm
Oh dear. Maybe the players have now given up for the season? Can’t see Monday being any better .
An embarrassing end to an embarrassing season

Are you possibly suggesting that they actually got started.. :?
I’m sure I remember a 5 minute spell towards the end of january.... but I could have my years mixed up

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:02 pm

saint jude wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:55 pm
mugen1 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:14 pm
Played 43, won 4. Is this going to be some kind of unwanted record?
Make me eat my words ITFC, I'm dreading League 1 :cry:
Is that statistic really factual ? Can't be bothered to verify but won't dispute, sounds about correct in all truth. Simply embarrassing if not shameful. Can't be bothered to castigate the manager, it's a f**king futile endeavor. Three wins in 28 games tells it as it is but many will continue to continued plaudits and continued recognition. While you're at it you may want to take a moment to look at our managers previous win ratios with former club sides. Or don't.

I don't know what it is with managers at this club but for the last 15 years it's been one garbage appointment after another. Jim Magilton, Keane, Jewell, McCarthy, Hurst .... Seriously what the hell has happened here, this used to a team that was entertaining to watch and on the verge of accomplishments. It's been sh*t for as long as many can remember, of course the owner takes it's share of responsibility for lack of progress but am sick and tired of berating the individual when no change occurs or never forthcoming.

I don't like to give them any adulation but credit where it's due you take a view at Norwich and the club set-up, i.e. manager, ownership, players brought in, team ethic and motivation. Clear polar opposite of ourselves. You can bang on about the respective histories but they got themselves some serious progress underway and painful as it is to acknowledge, a team that is going places and able to challenge.

Hasn't just been today for us, it's the culmination of many weeks of sub-standard scores and performances. Some again will bury their heads in their asses and envisage some bright future ahead but got a real hard time viewing it myself. Going to get worse if there aren't some radical changes ahead in areas that hardly require elaboration.

Incidentally just had the opportunity to view highlights, and Yes, it was all the above.
McCarthy was a good appointment. Magilton is a decent coach also, you don't work under Michael O'Neil if your crap..

Ipswich won't progress until proper investment happens. Until then the club will continue to trundle along going nowhere. It doesn't matter who the manager is in terms of meeting fans expectations, they won't be met because most of them are a fantasy. It does matter who is appointed though as the wrong appointment takes the club further down the downwards spiral, this season being a case in point.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:15 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:02 pm

McCarthy was a good appointment. Magilton is a decent coach also, you don't work under Michael O'Neil if your crap..

Ipswich won't progress until proper investment happens. Until then the club will continue to trundle along going nowhere. It doesn't matter who the manager is in terms of meeting fans expectations, they won't be met because most of them are a fantasy. It does matter who is appointed though as the wrong appointment takes the club further down the downwards spiral, this season being a case in point.
I agree with some of what you say. I thought Magilton did a decent job until he was given money to spend. His inexperience let him down then.

McCarthy was a good appointment and I expect he would have kept us in the Championship. But....

But I wanted him out. I don't regret it at all. I was bored to tears. If I dare say so I was bored before many others as quality of football and entertainment is more important to me than results.

The way I see it is like this. ME will only go when he's ready. I don't criticise him because the club is costing him a lot of money. I daren't think where we would be without him. And if he can / will "only" fund the club at a league 1 level, that's ok with me.....as long as we can play entertaining football in league 1. I'm not expecting miracles. I don't expect a quick return. We have had some matches recently that suggest we might at least be entertained.....although the last 3 or 4 games suggest otherwise. That is the challenge; to bring the fans back by entertaining us. The jury is definitely out on that one.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:45 am

Andym wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:15 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:02 pm

I agree with some of what you say. I thought Magilton did a decent job until he was given money to spend. His inexperience let him down then.

McCarthy was a good appointment and I expect he would have kept us in the Championship. But....

But I wanted him out. I don't regret it at all. I was bored to tears. If I dare say so I was bored before many others as quality of football and entertainment is more important to me than results.

The way I see it is like this. ME will only go when he's ready. I don't criticise him because the club is costing him a lot of money. I daren't think where we would be without him. And if he can / will "only" fund the club at a league 1 level, that's ok with me.....as long as we can play entertaining football in league 1. I'm not expecting miracles. I don't expect a quick return. We have had some matches recently that suggest we might at least be entertained.....although the last 3 or 4 games suggest otherwise. That is the challenge; to bring the fans back by entertaining us. The jury is definitely out on that one.
I tend to agree. I’m optimistic we can at least be at the top end of the table, but trying to reel in my expectations. If we are going to build then we might have to be a bit patient. In the meantime, I’m hoping to see better football and the team grow and develop, rather than a short-term sticking plaster approach that Mick had. He did that very well, but the effect was it low on entertainment and drove the fans away. We’ll see next season. PL’s PR drive has been very good so far, but I can’t see it lasting that long next season if we can’t get the results early on. Bringing in the right type of players in during the summer will be essential. It’s the experienced players here that worry me most.... we’ve got some decent youth with potential and some decent League 1 seasoned players, but we need that extra experience who can do a job on the field. Judge is a good start.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:05 am

To be honest I think we have already started to see the slow demise of Skusey as a regular this season and i think it will continue next season too, yes he will play a fair few games but won't be cemented in the team every week. It will be interesting to see if the rumour I heard about Chambo not starting today is true, Nsiala & A.N.Other seems to be the way we are going if it is true,I still see Chambers playing quite a big role next season which won't please some.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:34 am

Got some info ref that Mike. Can’t put it on media yet though . C ya soon xx

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:42 am

No worries, cya soon.

marko69
Global Moderator