Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

The end is nigh

Sheffield Win
93%
Ipswich Win
No votes
Draw
7%

Total votes: 15

Frosty
Forum Owner

Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:07 am

Image Sheffield United v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 27th April 2019– 15:00

Bramwell Lane

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

Absolutely No Respite.....

Easter Monday's visit of Swansea presented us with our last opportunity to do "The Double" over any side this season and in true Ipswich tradition we choked on the day, the result was never really in doubt as the Swans won with ease to send us crashing to our Twenty Fourth League defeat of the season, quite a staggering figure and not something I envisaged last August. I think it is fair to say that our faint hopes of climbing above Bolton Wanderers evaporated too so I think we can now safely say there has not been a single crumb of comfort to come out of this heinous season, it just could not have been any worse.

The game itself was a pretty turgid affair with little in the way of quality on display from either side although Swansea clearly had the better of things and looked the slicker outfit throughout, Paul Lambert said we were much better than we were at Preston, I would say marginally as it was still pretty powder puff in most areas. Many questions are being asked about Lambert's persistance in a formation that clearly isn't working and hasn't done for the majority of his time here, while part of me thinks his hands are tied some of the time I cannot help but think Two up front is the least we can be entitled to expect. I will argue all day long with anyone who thinks Kayden Jackson is poor, I think the lad is ok and there is a lot more to come, he would benefit massively from having a partner up front who he can feed off as he clearly is not a lone striker, he likes to drift wide and makes some good runs but the support is laughable, I really hope he is here next season to prove many of the doubters wrong as I think he could excel in League one.

There were One or Two who disappointed me, playing the 4-3-3 or whatever it is demands the wide men work their socks off and while Alan Judge does this I can't help but think at times Gwion Edwards is something of a liability, yes he has ability but so often he just drifts along, defensively he can be lazy too and the guy is very powder puff in the tackle etc, another who needs to take a long hard look at himself is Andre Dozzell, once being touted as a Premier League star in the making the lad now looks miles off that level, his languid style certainly doesn't help but I just get the feeling when watching him that he thinks he is Billy big bollocks when he is anything but, another who really is pushed off the ball all too easily and where is the creativity he is supposedly known for ? The odd pass here and there is nowhere near enough, at one time I was worried about losing another star in the making, now I kinda think just let him go. others are passing him by, Jack Lankester to name but one.

Backing The Boys

Next season is going to be new territory for virtually all fans who still follow the Town, League One is something very few of us have encountered before, Paul Lambert promises this brave new and exciting world which we will all enjoy, I think most are sensible enough to know it will be no stroll in the park but I think it is easy to get a bit too cautious when things have been so bad this season, after all a few games back we were more than matching teams that are still vying for promotion to the Premier League and that was no fluke, we will be playing at a lower level and our youngsters will benefit from the hardships they have had to endure this season, some of the teams in this division can play a bit of that we are aware but Sunderland are often used as a yardstick to measure how tough things could be for us and while they are a decent side we did give them a couple of maulings last season so again yes we should be cautious but no way should we go into next season with trepidation and fear.

I really hope the last Three or Four games do not deter the fans from sticking firmly behind Lambert and Co, it really is vital we have the unity Lambert craves and he is not slow in pointing out how critical it could be, we all know his PR is top notch but he clearly does have a point, a team that has the fans with it is that much stronger and next season, especially in the early weeks it will be priceless to how we adapt to life at a lower level. I have seen a few already questioning Lambert as being the right man and while I fully understand it I really don't agree with the thought that we may be better looking elsewhere, for me that would be suicide and while it clearly isn't going to happen we don't want to have a divide grow among the fan base again so soon, changing manager every few months has never been our style and hopefully it won't be the case anytime soon.

Our Last Away Day

Saturday will be the last time, for a while at least, that I travel to back the boys as a Championship club, as each milestone arrives it really does hit home as to the reality of the situation but we will face it full on, have a laugh, sing our hearts out and back our team from the first whistle to the last. It couldn't really be ending much tougher than a trip to Second place Sheffield Utd who with a win will be in touching distance of the promised land, while I nwould love us to upset the applecart against the scum of the North I just cannot see it, I think it could be a very uncomfortable day for the Boys in Blue with a pretty emphatic win for the Blades, at least we should get out in One piece !!! Oh the Joy.

The Opposition – Sheffield United

Sheffield United formed on 22 March 1889 at the Adelphi Hotel, Sheffield (now the site of the Crucible Theatre) by the President of the Cricket Club Sir Charles Clegg.

The Wednesday had moved from Bramall Lane to their own ground at Olive Grove, and the tenants of Bramall Lane needed to create a new team to generate income. Sir Charles Clegg was incidentally also the president of The Wednesday.

Undoubtedly United's heyday was the 30-year period from 1895–1925, when they were champions of England in 1897–98 and runners up in 1896–97 and 1899–00, and FA Cup winners in 1899, 1902, 1915 and 1925, finishing runners up in 1901, and also eleven years after their cup final win in 1936. United have not won a trophy since 1925, bar those associated with promotion from lower-leagues, their best performances in the cup competitions being several semi-final appearances in the FA Cup and Football League Cup.

Their darkest days came between 1975 and 1981. After finishing sixth in the First Division at the end of the 1974–75 season, they were relegated to the Second Division the following season and three years after that setback they fell into the Third Division. They reached an absolute low in 1981 when they were relegated to the Fourth Division, but were champions in their first season in the league's basement division and two years afterwards they won promotion to the Second Division.

They did fall back into the Third Division in 1988, but new manager Dave Bassett masterminded a quick revival which launched the Blades towards one of the most successful eras in their history. Successive promotions in the aftermath of the 1988 relegation saw them return to the First Division in 1990 after a 14-year exile. They survived at this level for four seasons (being founder members of the new FA Premier League in 1992 after peaking with a ninth-place finish in the last season of the old First Division) and reached an FA Cup semi-final in the 1992–93 season before being relegated in 1994.

They would remain outside the top flight for the next 12 years, although they did qualify for the play-offs under Bassett's successor Howard Kendall in 1997 and caretaker manager Steve Thompson in 1998.

They were struggling at the wrong end of Division One when Neil Warnock was appointed manager in December 1999, and a financial crisis was preventing the club from being able to boost their squad, but in 2002–03 they enjoyed their most successful season for a decade, reaching the semi-finals of both domestic cups and also reaching the Division One play-off final, where they were beaten by Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Three years later, however, Warnock delivered a Premier League return as the Blades finished runners-up in the rebranded Championship. They lasted just one season back amongst the elite, before being relegated from the Premier League amidst the controversy surrounding Carlos Tevez, the player who was controversially signed by West Ham United and whose performances played a big part in their remarkable escape from relegation. Neil Warnock resigned as manager after the Blades went down.

The club struggled to come to terms with life back in the Championship, with a spiralling wage bill not being matched by the quality of the players brought in, and a succession of managers within a short period of time. The Blades did reach the Championship playoff final in 2009 under Kevin Blackwell, but a period of decline then set in. The 2010–11 season proved disastrous, with the club employing three different managers in the space of a season, which ultimately ended in relegation to League One under Micky Adams, meaning they would play in the third tier of English football for the first time since 1989, and only five years after gaining promotion to the Premiership.

In the 2011–12 season, the club finished third in League One, narrowly missing out on automatic promotion to rivals Sheffield Wednesday, and entered the playoffs. With victory over Stevenage in the semi-final, United missed out on an immediate return to the Championship after suffering a penalty shootout defeat to Huddersfield Town. The Blades again made it to the League One playoffs in 2012–13 after a fifth-place finish, but were knocked out by eventual promotion winners Yeovil Town.

On 3 September 2013 it was confirmed that Saudi Prince Abdullah bin Musa'ed bin Abdulaziz Al Saud of the royal House of Saud had bought a 50% stake in United's parent company 'Blades Leisure Ltd' for the fee of £1 with the promise of providing "substantial new capital" with the aim of returning the Blades to the Premier League as "quickly as possible".

In 2014 the Blades began to be described by areas of the media as "giant-killers", having reached the FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley, losing 5–3 to Hull City.

In 2014–15 the team reached the quarter-finals of the FA Cup and semi-finals of the Football League Cup, and despite being eliminated they remained in contention for promotion to the Championship.

United secured promotion back to the second tier of English football in the 2016–17 season under the management of lifelong fan and former Blades player Chris Wilder.

Last season United finished in 10th place on the table with 69 points.

The Manager – Chris Wilder

Form Guide

Sheffield United Last 5 Matches – Currently in 2nd place with 85 points

6 Apr Preston 0 - 1 Sheffield Utd

10 Apr Birmingham City 1 - 1 Sheffield Utd

13 Apr Sheffield Utd 1 - 1 Millwall

19 Apr Sheffield Utd 2 - 0 Nottm Forest

22 Apr Hull City 0 - 3 Sheffield Utd

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 24th place with 28 points

6 Apr Bolton 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

10 Apr Brentford 2 - 0 Ipswich Town

13 Apr Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Birmingham City

19 Apr Preston 4 - 0 Ipswich Town

22 Apr Ipswich Town 0 - 1 Swansea City

Marko's Caption Contest – THE DON CUP

Two captions to go for the 18/19 season. Three horse race; two previous winners and the other one who’s been in the top three every year!! Thanks to Tangfastic for bringing the Spandau song back into it....... Hibs had that song for Rob Jones, and it had all the judges singing “MOLE!” Great stuff.

Preston scores:

Tangfastic 5pts
Ando (moles as*hole) & DerickIpsw (we have a mole) 4pts
DerickIpsw (blob) & Frosty 3pts
Nicscreamer (grant) & Watership Down 2pts

LEAGUE TABLE

ANDO 102
DERICKIPSW 98
NICSCREAMER 95
FROSTY 76
BLUEMIKE 71
TANGFASTIC 69
AYLESBURYBLUE 64
BLUEBLOOD 55
NUMBER 9 50
IPSWICHTOWNNO1 39
WATERSHIP DOWN 26
BLUEPETER 22
KERRY BLUE 15
JOHNNYB 15
BLUE WILF 14
PATTHEGIMP 12
SHED ON TOUR 10
TODD66 6
MASSEYFERGUSON 6
BARMY BILLY 6
QUASAR 4
ASHFORDBLUE 2
MARVINBAY1973 2
GOLDANDBLACK 1
CHARNWOOD 1
KL BLUE 1
OHIOTRACTORBOY 1

Penultimate caption picture:

Match Referee – TBA

SHEFFIELD UNITED 2 IPSWICH TOWN 1

Ando

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ando » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:37 am

Will be watching the game from behind a cushion as I fear a horror show Saturday. I wonder how McGoldrick will celebrate his invevitable goal. 3-0 defeat. I can't find anything positive to say about this one.

Caption from Sheepshanks to this sheepshagger who gets his hair cut by a sheep shearer

Caption Evans tries to reconnect with the tractor boys by modelling himself on Worzal Gummage

Caption good job you have money coz there's no other way your getting your leg over with that comb over.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:06 am

Caption: M Evans does his Bobby Charlton impression.

Caption. M Evans introduces his "Minnie Me" Sidekick slowly.

Caption: M Evans shows his horrible hairy underarm growth

Caption: M Evans rests his wig on the unsold season ticket pile.
Last edited by derick_ipsw on Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:18 am

Was at Anfield for our last away game in the Premiership and will be at Bramall Lane on Saturday to see our final away game in the Championship for a while.
If we concede early can see it being a very long 90 minutes and the following scoreline.

Sheffield Utd 4 Town 0

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:08 am

A heavy defeat again... The team have given up. 4-0 to Sheffield

Caption - "Maybe he's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline". Marcus Evans tries to increase funds by partnering with Maybelline.

Caption - An unfortunate high wind catches Marcus' wig and slides it back a little.

Caption - Marcus shows off his new Thai bride

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:24 am

Now I’m Blue to the bone, but I’ll be totally honest with you, if Utd beating us heavily meant scum didn’t finish top, I’d go for that .

Tbh they will probably beat us anyway , so maybe I shouldn’t feel so guilty at wishing that .

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:51 pm

They’d need to win about 17-0 Hallam??? 😂😂😂

I think id rather the budgies stayed top than have that embarrassment.

And I personally spat coffee out laughing at the Thai bride. :lol: Keep at it guys.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:52 pm

ME .... “Anyone know a good dentist to recommend ” ?

Reply... “Where do you usually go” ?

ME... “ My hairdresser normally does both (so I get a good colour match) but I thought i’d try something different to improve my looks for next season”

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:57 pm

I want us to win but cannot see it happening. Best case 1-1 - worst case.... i just don't want to think of...but...

Can i just be the first person to say how great it is to see dirty Leeds and their moronic following once again screwing up potential promotion? If we can make sure both they and FLD (Frank Lampards Derby) stay down, that will be one of the few positives from the season!

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:28 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:57 pm
I want us to win but cannot see it happening. Best case 1-1 - worst case.... i just don't want to think of...but...

Can i just be the first person to say how great it is to see dirty Leeds and their moronic following once again screwing up potential promotion? If we can make sure both they and FLD (Frank Lampards Derby) stay down, that will be one of the few positives from the season!
A further rendition of my favourite chant from last season could get an airing on the 5th May then!

"Leeds, Leeds are falling apart again"! :D

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:30 pm

Here's hoping!

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:10 pm

Caption owners hair style mirrors his clubs playing staff....a bit thin on the flanks and at the back, nothing up top and what he does have is all over the place.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:25 pm

Inevitable loss I'm afraid

Caption.. Hello out there we're on the air it's football night tonight and may I add my thanks to Twink for my wonderful hairdo.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:13 pm

Caption. M Evans launches his new Ipswich Town postage stamp. How apt for someone who travels round the world but stays in the corner.

Caption. New Ipswich Town stamp causes Mach_Polish _Blue a problem....he doesn't know what side to spit on.

bluepeter

Post by bluepeter » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:00 pm

Caption
I'm gonna make a few bob selling tickets to Leeds fans.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:10 pm

Caption: Marcus Evans shows the importance of dental hygiene even if you're wealthy. (Not a good advertisement for English teeth :lol: )

Caption: Marcus Evans says he's ready to sink his teeth into league one football.

Caption: Mr Evans, it only takes a few bob to get those choppers nice and white...just a few bob, sir!

Caption: Marcus Evans introduces ITFC's new striker...he won't score many with his head, but he's quick as lightening. Unfortunately, he's only available during school holidays.

Caption: Marcus Evans takes debtor's first born son to balance the books.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:33 am

Voted for a Sheffield victory, there wasn't much in the way of decision time undertaken. Could lose by a substantial score, the players (ours) seem to have given up already and focus shall surely be elsewhere when the time arises. The big loss at Reading a year or two back, feel a similar thing could arrive here. Of course any score is immaterial regards what's left of our season, lose by one or eight it won't make a damn difference, but would hope to keep things respectable if nothing else.

Sheffield United 5 Ipswich 1

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:31 am

Caption:

Freddie Sears celebrates his new five year contact alongside owner Marcus Evans.

Caption:

A disconsolate Marcus Evans announces that final Season Ticket sales are 11,999 ... one short to trigger additional reductions.
Evans says: “ Oh what a pity!!!! I even counted all the ticket sales myself... what a shame.”

Caption:
Mick McCarthy has stated that he is sad to see Ipswich get relegated.
McCarthy says : “ Some of the lads are taking huge cuts in wages who were with me and who were brilliant for me.”
“The staff, I've no doubt people will be losing their jobs because of it so that's going to be sad.”.
This appears to be prophetic as Marcus Evans has started the cull by announcing that he has released his personal hair stylist.

Caption:
Marcus Evans laments that it wasn’t a good idea to conduct an interview whilst having his hair cut.
“ I just said ‘Money’s too tight to mention - cut back’ and the barber thought I was talking to him whilst he was trimming my fringe”.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:08 am

Caption: Marcus Evans reveals the new striker to score the goals to get us back into the Championship.
Unfortunately due to the financial constraint of being relegated to league 1 we could only afford to purchase this part of him.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:29 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:24 am
Now I’m Blue to the bone, but I’ll be totally honest with you, if Utd beating us heavily meant scum didn’t finish top, I’d go for that .

Tbh they will probably beat us anyway , so maybe I shouldn’t feel so guilty at wishing that .
Scummer !!! :D :D

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:46 pm

I can only see one result here, Sheff Utd to cruise to a 3-0 win.

Caption, ME says to his lad, Ahh this brings back happy memories, flogging Hooky tickets in car parks.
Caption, And this my boy is where I like to hide away from supporters, and PL when he's after funds.
Caption, ME says to camera man, yes Ipswich are dropping out and disappearing, just like my hair on top.

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:12 pm

Caption ME's 25 year old love child who's mother is a circus dwarf shows his father how to pull off a comb over

Caption settling out of court ME donates half his hair to a fat little bald kid (who can't be identified for legal reasons) who developed alopecia whilst watching every town game this season. ME's legal team had suggested compensation by way of a life time season ticket however the judge rejected the offer citing if offered ME would likely to have to stand trial for child abuse.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:19 pm

LOL, Funnily enough Ando, as an Alopecia sufferer I can relate to that !!!

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:21 pm

Ando wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:12 pm
Caption ME's 25 year old love child who's mother is a circus dwarf shows his father how to pull off a comb over

Caption settling out of court ME donates half his hair to a fat little bald kid (who can't be identified for legal reasons) who developed alopecia whilst watching every town game this season. ME's legal team had suggested compensation by way of a life time season ticket however the judge rejected the offer citing if offered ME would likely to have to stand trial for child abuse.

Caption Evans the Pratt forgot to remove his shower cap when using regaine for men

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:07 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:29 am
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:24 am

Scummer !!! :D :D

Lol “V “

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:56 pm

But they're promoted anyway. It was argued something like 99.9 per cent done. In other words, there's more chance of being struck by lightning and winning the Euro millions on the same day than them not having a promotion. First or second still sees a team promoted, of course they'll want to win the league - to add to their illustrious history and record of achievements.

On a final note the home game with Leeds we got on the end day could break or break the Yorkshire team's season. If we were to win - or they fail to - there's every chance they'll miss out on an auto spot. Hope scenes aren't repeated from a few years back for the very same fixture, when they caused a scene. Of course we'll need to see victory over Sheffield this weekend for any such scenario to come to pass. Kind of interesting in all truth.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:57 pm

saint jude wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:56 pm
But they're promoted anyway. It was argued something like 99.9 per cent done. In other words, there's more chance of being struck by lightning and winning the Euro millions on the same day than them not having a promotion. First or second still sees a team promoted, of course they'll want to win the league - to add to their illustrious history and record of achievements.

On a final note the home game with Leeds we got on the end day could make or break the Yorkshire team's season. If we were to win - or they fail to - there's every chance they'll miss out on an auto spot. Hope scenes aren't repeated from a few years back for the very same fixture, when they caused a scene. Of course we'll need to see victory over Sheffield this weekend for any such scenario to come to pass. Kind of interesting in all truth.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:18 am

Caption:

"As mentioned previously in my 5 part Plan, our intention is to use the Youth system moving forward. Let me start by introducing our new No Nonsence Centre Back"

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:19 am

Great preview once again ,thanks . Cant see anything but a mauling at the hands of Sheffield. No goals and a heavy defeat. 5-0 United :oops:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:04 am

Caption:

As part of the New Community Trust launch, Marcus Evans has reinforced the need to forge links between the club and local businesses. Marcused visited local hairdressers “Stevie Wondered” - a charity-funded business for visually-impaired hair stylists.