10 Years Ago Today

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Shed on tour

10 Years Ago Today

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:59 pm

We were the talk of football in this country.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: 10 Years Ago Today

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:30 pm

Was this just prior to the Messi-like Pussyskin arriving?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:01 pm

Somebody we appointed who reckoned he would take us back to the promised land within 2 years. :wink:
Can’t believe it was 10 years ago.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:09 pm

Yep, and that somebody offloaded JR in replacement for a feckin goal M A C H I N E?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:45 pm

That was the day this sh*t really started.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:48 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:45 pm
Yep it sure was.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:45 pm
Front runner in the “UNBELIEVABLY TRUE STATEMENT OF THE YEAR” award.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:50 pm

The day after Jim Magilton left.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:51 pm

He had to go, Tolly Cobbold was being drunk dry.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:00 pm

....and if ME had given MM the same level of financial backing he wasted with RK I don’t believe we would be in the mess we are now. I know some of you guys have moved on and are already looking forward to next season, but after 60 years supporting Town I’m still feeling pretty raw and down hearted about it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:51 pm
He had to go, Tolly Cobbold was being drunk dry.

I liked the bloke as a player but disliked his appointment as Manager.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:09 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:00 pm
....and if ME had given MM the same level of financial backing he wasted with RK I don’t believe we would be in the mess we are now. I know some of you guys have moved on and are already looking forward to next season, but after 60 years supporting Town I’m still feeling pretty raw and down hearted about it.
Andy, trust me I haven't moved on, it's still raw with me too but I have to deal with it in a way that doesn't completely f*ck my head up because for a time i really was struggling with it, I need to believe things will take an upturn

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:11 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Charny
I think we all feeling raw and down hearted about it but are trying to put a brave face on.
Before the recent home game against Birmingham Mike asked me when it would really hit home and I said for me when the fixture list comes out for next season.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:24 pm

I’m glad to hear it’s not just me feeling totally depressed and pissed off about it. Maybe I need to shake out of it and move on. Hopefully going to the Nou Camp next week (Subject to ticket availability) to watch Barcelona v Liverpool will help, although that could depress me even more by reminding me of the 70’s era when we only lost to them twice in 10 consecutive meetings.

TWTD ‘s

Maybe I need a holiday !

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:05 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:24 pm
I’m glad to hear it’s not just me feeling totally depressed and pissed off about it. Maybe I need to shake out of it and move on. Hopefully going to the Nou Camp next week (Subject to ticket availability) to watch Barcelona v Liverpool will help, although that could depress me even more by reminding me of the 70’s era when we only lost to them twice in 10 consecutive meetings.

TWTD ‘s

Maybe I need a holiday !
Hopefully you will get tickets as should be a great game to attend.
Went to the Borussia Dortmund V Bayern Munich Champions league Final at Wembley in 2013 and it was a great game to watch as a neutral.
Put paid to the theory that a fantastic atmosphere couldn't be created at the new Wembley as both sets of supporters created a wall of noise that day.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:20 pm

This has got to be regarding the appointment of Keane back in 2009. In retrospect is was a bold move, for a while at least there was something of a frenzy in the media and Town message boards (participated along with it) but hindsight is often a useful instrument.

Evans would have orchestrated the venture but fact of the matter being the name in question proved of no greater use than his predecessor Magilton or Jewell, McCarthy, Hurst etc thereafter. At least in terms of team progression or the expectations that came with it. Admired him as a player, Yes he was something of a bully at times and some of the incidents on field were highly questionable, but as a leader and motivator there were few better.

Just a shame that couldn't be replicated at managerial level. Can't recall the last team coaching job Keane has undertaken, at least within the UK. Perhaps that speaks certain volumes, some things aren't meant to occur.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:27 pm

Bad appointment yes, but Keane is a part of the problem. One of the factors. The sh*t had started when Magilton was allowed to waste loads of cash. Magilton gave us nothing to remember, the team was sliding down the table and it had to be Dos Santos doing wonders to keep our season alive.

His successor Keane turned out to be a poor one. He failed, that's obvious. He's been our third worst manager behind Hurst and Jewell. Some poor signings but he made us hard to beat on many occassions and I can't remember a single game where we were actually embarrassed. Norwich away 1-4 kind of maybe but we were down to 10 men in the first half.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:01 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:05 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:24 pm

TWTD ‘s

Maybe I need a holiday !
Hopefully you will get tickets as should be a great game to attend.
Went to the Borussia Dortmund V Bayern Munich Champions league Final at Wembley in 2013 and it was a great game to watch as a neutral.
Put paid to the theory that a fantastic atmosphere couldn't be created at the new Wembley as both sets of supporters created a wall of noise that day.
You certainly get around Shed, I thought I loved my football but you take it to a different level and clearly get great enjoyment from it.

Today is the day we know for sure if we have tickets or not, but with Liverpool receiving fewer than 5000 tickets we might just be unlucky. I’ve never been to a Champions League game in the modern era so it would be a new experience if it happens. I have been to the Nou Camp before in 96 but so much regret not being there in 77 or 79 when Town played Barcelona but in those days I had a huge mortgage and the financial constraints that go with having a young family.

For the younger guys on here, In both games Town took a first leg lead to the Nou Camp, 3-0 in 77 (lost on penalties) and 2-1 in 79 (lost on away goals).

TWTD’s.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:21 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:27 pm
Bad appointment yes, but Keane is a part of the problem. One of the factors. The sh*t had started when Magilton was allowed to waste loads of cash. Magilton gave us nothing to remember, the team was sliding down the table and it had to be Dos Santos doing wonders to keep our season alive.

His successor Keane turned out to be a poor one. He failed, that's obvious. He's been our third worst manager behind Hurst and Jewell. Some poor signings but he made us hard to beat on many occassions and I can't remember a single game where we were actually embarrassed. Norwich away 1-4 kind of maybe but we were down to 10 men in the first half.
I'm with you Mach. Magilton was the start of the slide. We needed someone who knew what he was doing at that point. I actually was excited about RK when it was announced, I thought it was ambitious. I think hindsight is 20:20 for many of us. At the time I couldn't fault the decision.

I'll add to that that many players were even then in their comfort zone and RK was right to want to make the team hungrier. As it turned out he either didn't have the motivational skills to do it or was up against more resistance than was imagined at the time. Or maybe even both.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:40 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:21 pm
Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:27 pm

I'm with you Mach. Magilton was the start of the slide. We needed someone who knew what he was doing at that point. I actually was excited about RK when it was announced, I thought it was ambitious. I think hindsight is 20:20 for many of us. At the time I couldn't fault the decision.

I'll add to that that many players were even then in their comfort zone and RK was right to want to make the team hungrier. As it turned out he either didn't have the motivational skills to do it or was up against more resistance than was imagined at the time. Or maybe even both.

You’re absolutely spot on DB with thoughts that mirror mine. Jim Magilton was a ridiculous appointment, he had no managerial experience whatsoever and was a complete rookie in the job. Like you I was excited when Roy Keane was appointed and for me this demonstrated Marcus Evans clear intent, I expected him to do so much better which wasn’t the case and pretty much ended his managerial career leaving him forever working as somebody else’s assistant.

Since Keane our appointments have gone from bad to worse. although I still think McCarthy could have been so much better if Evans invested in him. Sadly for us McCarthy was happy working on a shoestring so long as he was rewarded handsomely, the later being more important to him than winning.

Hurst’s appointment was a joke as was the transfer policy which has clearly proved the point “you reap what you sew”...and now we have Paul Lambert who for many the jury is still out on.

10 years of gradual decline which has taken us from Championship “Play Off” contenders to League 1 rookies, I guess if we’re all honest it’s been coming for a while.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:33 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Agree completely!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:28 am

Say again McCarthy could have had the contents of The Federal Reserve to spend on the team / new players but his style of negative, mundane tactics would have rendered any new additions void and redundant. Could have ideally have had a team of say Yashin, Beckenbauer, Puskas and Greaves et cetera, but for the good it could do, ultimately wasted in 'play not to lose' scenarios and 'a point is a good score' (regardless of venue or opposition)

Odd thing is (regarding Keane) I don't recall too well Evans providing the Irishman with substantial backing in terms of investment. That's not to say it didn't occur, but all many will remember of Keane's tenure was a mash of sh*t results and lame as* performances. Have to enquire why were subsequent managers after Keane not provided with the same level of money to make the team competitive (?)

Memory's somewhat eroded after so many years of ineffective, dismal standards and performance that allowances can be made in terms of factual recollection.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:36 am

SJ please click on this link:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/30543296

Check out the table bottom right.

The window opened a week or so later. In hindsight this is the moment when ME might have invested in some extra talent. I, like many others, believe that if this had happened MM would have taken us up, then he would have been the Messiah and not the Pariah :-)

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:07 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:36 am
SJ please click on this link:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/30543296

Check out the table bottom right.

The window opened a week or so later. In hindsight this is the moment when ME might have invested in some extra talent. I, like many others, believe that if this had happened MM would have taken us up, then he would have been the Messiah and not the Pariah :-)
I don’t know ( or anyone else, for that matter) the conversations between MM and ME at that time, but did MM batter ME’s door down and demand he invest when we were top? I never heard any kind of sly digs towards the lack of investment from Mick towards Evans. You do hear that from time to time from managers who want purse strings to be eased.
I think Charnwood made a point the other day about Mick being very content on his high salary here.... and I agree. If Mick had got that big warchest and it didn’t result in promotion, then that would shoot down the “Mick doing wonders on a shoestring” image. I think Mick was very content having a bunch of honest, but limited, players he could trust and not rock the boat and keeping the bar set relatively low. Not convinced Mick would have got us up with extra cash.... and I’m not sure he fought hard enough for it or even wanted it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:28 am

The fact is he's gone, done, finished, his comments yesterday don't sit well with me, yes he points it at the minority but it's fans like us suffering too so why rub our noses in it, glad he's gone, bitter and twisted.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:27 pm

Not sure why Mick keeps bringing up his ex-players reduced wages as if that’s the most terrible thing with the relegation. Just shows he wasn’t connected with the fan base and the town. Just his own little world with the players and the staff.He could have taken his own MM franchise to anywhere, it just happened to be in Ipswich. A footballer’s career is transitory and they also has the option to leave the club for better wages elsewhere... if they’re wanted elsewhere.... so why should anyone worry if players wages get slashed if they get relegated.

I think MM’s a bit cheesed of that the club isn’t completely in turmoil right now and not missing him more. He needs to stop all the sniping. I’ve read a few comments on TWTD where fans who supported him are starting to get weary of his unnecessary digs. It’s very easy to just say he’s sad... bla..bla..bla... without the extras.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:22 pm

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/s ... an-rhodes/

I hadn't realized Keane admitted he made a mistake on Rhodes. I'm with many of you as far as Keane's appointment as manager. I was impressed with ME's seemingly ambitious approach, and I was very excited about RK running the show. How surprising it was to see us struggle so badly.

Here we are 10 years forward. I kind of get a pain in my stomach now, when I think of Ipswich Town FC. I'm still confident we'll bounce back. Someone suggested to me recently that ITFC may cease to exist in my lifetime. That would be devastating. At least we're still breathing, even though we're probably on life support. I am very nervous about next season because if we get in trouble, I'm afraid we may not bounce back at all.

Isn't it about time things got better, FFS!

COYB!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:13 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:22 pm

I hadn't realized Keane admitted he made a mistake on Rhodes. I'm with many of you as far as Keane's appointment as manager. I was impressed with ME's seemingly ambitious approach, and I was very excited about RK running the show. How surprising it was to see us struggle so badly.

Here we are 10 years forward. I kind of get a pain in my stomach now, when I think of Ipswich Town FC. I'm still confident we'll bounce back. Someone suggested to me recently that ITFC may cease to exist in my lifetime. That would be devastating. At least we're still breathing, even though we're probably on life support. I am very nervous about next season because if we get in trouble, I'm afraid we may not bounce back at all.

COYB!
Are we really in that bad a state? Clubs in a far worse financial crisis than us and with a lot of in-fighting like Blackpool, Portsmouth and Coventry are on the up. Luton who were recently a non-league side are about to be promoted to the Championship. We’ve had just a bloody nose, a few broken bones and a battered ego rather than a club on its last rites on a life support system. Can’t say we’ll bounce straight back, but would be surprised if we spiral downwards completely out of control. Hopefully, this relegation is where we bottom out.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:30 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:13 pm
number 9 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:22 pm

COYB!
Are we really in that bad a state? Clubs in a far worse financial crisis than us and with a lot of in-fighting like Blackpool, Portsmouth and Coventry are on the up. Luton who were recently a non-league side are about to be promoted to the Championship. We’ve had just a bloody nose, a few broken bones and a battered ego rather than a club on its last rites on a life support system. Can’t say we’ll bounce straight back, but would be surprised if we spiral downwards completely out of control. Hopefully, this relegation is where we bottom out.
On life support is a bit harsh...agree with this " Hopefully, this relegation is where we bottom out."