Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

The end is nigh

Sheffield Win
14
93%
Ipswich Win
0
No votes
Draw
1
7%
 
Total votes: 15

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 19861
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:23 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:02 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:47 pm
He had to take Jackson off!! The guy was injured and we had no striker on the bench ffs
No striker on the bench! Mike we havent got any strikers at the Club! That’s why we’re going down.

Safe journey home mate. I will be glad when this utter shyte season is at an end.
That's what im saying, we had no choice to play with nobody up front, it hardly matters in the grand schemeof things.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 19861
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:24 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:31 pm
Ando wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:02 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:47 pm
He had to take Jackson off!! The guy was injured and we had no striker on the bench ffs
It would seem the only reason Jackson would come off. All the strikers at the club are now injured. 1 game left and the hell will be over
Ben morris?
Been injured for months.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 11452
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Back in sunny Spain

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:03 pm

Unless somebody within ITFC at a high level gets a grip of this we’re in for another horrible season next year.

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 8605
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by saint jude » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:09 pm

It says something when I'm kind of "pleased" we only kept the opposition restricted to two goals. Caught game highlights and by and large they should have registered far more than they did. Our first attempt on goal occurred in the final minute also ? Seriously, what the f*ck..

Arguably the most disappointing, ineffective and forgettable season I've endured with this club side since 1995 but even back then you had wins at Anfield and an exciting victory over Manchester United to compensate for it. Maybe one or two other moments along the way that don't necessarily warrant recognition.

Not going to berate any one individual at the club today, be it playing personnel or management. Feelings either abundantly clear or simply going over old territory. We've tried for 17 years to make it back as a top level team and failed, only thing left to wonder is how long will it take to make it out of the third league next season. Unless radical changes are undertaken either in the summer or implemented as soon as possible in the league from August, very little in the way of change is going to occur.

User avatar
hallamblue
Posts: 23875
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:10 pm

Ive lost count of the number of SEASONS that this Club has been hampered by multiple , long term injuries. It’s crippled us every season.

Why so many injuries ????

Poor training methods?

Bringing in injury prone players ?

I don’t know that it is , but I think Lambert and his back room team has to get a grip of this situation . A club might have a season of injuries , but not multiple seasons like Town has done . You don’t get “ bad luck” every season. There is something wrong with our “ systems” and this needs looking into - urgently this summer.

MasseyFerguson
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:50 pm

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:07 am

The most disappointing thing for me is how we have gone down with a whimper after a brief period where we seemed to be playing a little better.

The fear I expressed then was that the points we were picking up had less to do with our apparent improvement in form and more to do with the circumstances of the opposition teams. The last few matches have confirmed my worst fears and I'm now very worried about next season.

PL has been great in terms of reconnecting the club with the fans but, in his primary role of getting results, he has been nothing short of awful. I do not subscribe to the ' these are not his players so don't blame him' mantra. He is not a fool. He knew what he was taking on and he obviously felt he could make a difference. He has failed miserably.

In the January window he brought in new blood. While acknowledging the constraints he operates under there is no doubt that the results have by and large been dire. People say the football has been better. It may be marginally easier on the eye but it is toothless and clueless.

I have gone from depression about our fall from grace to anger about the ineptitude of a manager in whom so many people have placed their faith. I am dreading next season.

tangfastic
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:59 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:10 pm
Ive lost count of the number of SEASONS that this Club has been hampered by multiple , long term injuries. It’s crippled us every season.

Why so many injuries ????

Poor training methods?

Bringing in injury prone players ?

I don’t know that it is , but I think Lambert and his back room team has to get a grip of this situation . A club might have a season of injuries , but not multiple seasons like Town has done . You don’t get “ bad luck” every season. There is something wrong with our “ systems” and this needs looking into - urgently this summer.
Well I’m not sure about training methods, but what we should not be doing is bringing in injured players or ones with histories of injuries. I would be very worried about bringing Keane in or Collins. We need hardy, durable players. Looking at Webster and Didsy.... how were their clubs able to get these guys fit and firing all season whereby they were always on the treatment table here?

If we have to balance the books and can only bring in 3-4 players on a budget, then Lambert has got to be very shrewd and try and steer us away from crocked players who break down easily.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 19861
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:10 am

I agree, Keane is not the answer, we can't carry passengers at all next season, Collins too needs offloading along with Huws, Adeyemi, Sears and Ward, all crocks that will offer nothing for us.

User avatar
Dubai Blue
Posts: 4338
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:18 pm
Location: Dubai, UAE

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:07 am

Reckon Sears could do a job for us next season BM. His injury record is not so bad either.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 19861
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:27 am

I don't want to be paying someone who is out until December at least, get rid.

tangfastic
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:36 am

I don’t see how we’re going to offload Freddie and Huws easily. Both in contract (Huws has 2 more years) and both injured.

I’m with DB.... Sears could well have something to offer. In a terrible season, he did actually play well at times and scored a few crackers.... even though he started the season 4th or 5th striker.

As for Huws, can’t see how we’ll ever get any kind of game time out of him. Why we gave him a four year contract with his injury record I’ll never know?

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 19861
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:38 am

Just reading back through this thread and in particular prior to kick off and pretty much every single post was expecting a "heavy defeat", "a mauling", an "embarrassment" and yet there seems to be a sense of disbelief that we were outplayed and well beaten ? OK we were poor but come on, who the hell expected anything less and as Lambert says we didn't roll over, they are just much better than us, in fact they are better than everyone else in this Division as well, there looked like there was Two division's between the Two sides, well guess what there is !!

We've just been Relegated for crying out loud and it was their promotion party day waiting to happen, I think it actually went better results wise than I expected for sure, of course it wasn't good and never in doubt but it means nothing in the context of next season, it will be a completely different animal at a far lesser standard than Sheff Utd every week. We have to greatly improve and we all know that but I think a bit of perspective until this fuckfest of a season is done is needed.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 19861
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:43 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:36 am
I don’t see how we’re going to offload Freddie and Huws easily. Both in contract (Huws has 2 more years) and both injured.

I’m with DB.... Sears could well have something to offer. In a terrible season, he did actually play well at times and scored a few crackers.... even though he started the season 4th or 5th striker.

As for Huws, can’t see how we’ll ever get any kind of game time out of him. Why we gave him a four year contract with his injury record I’ll never know?
Come to an agreement with Huws and pay up his contract in some shape or form, he has just had another setback FFS, he's fooked. Sears is a difficult one as I have been saying had he been fit and playing you would have seen a different kayden Jackson and I stand by that, however Sears will be lucky to be fit to play until next January so our season will be well shaped by then, we can't afford to wait in the hope he returns as anything like the Sears some think is the answer, for me he will never be the answer.

mugen1
Posts: 345
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by mugen1 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:49 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:59 am
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:10 pm
Ive lost count of the number of SEASONS that this Club has been hampered by multiple , long term injuries. It’s crippled us every season.

Why so many injuries ????

Poor training methods?

Bringing in injury prone players ?

I don’t know that it is , but I think Lambert and his back room team has to get a grip of this situation . A club might have a season of injuries , but not multiple seasons like Town has done . You don’t get “ bad luck” every season. There is something wrong with our “ systems” and this needs looking into - urgently this summer.
Well I’m not sure about training methods, but what we should not be doing is bringing in injured players or ones with histories of injuries. I would be very worried about bringing Keane in or Collins. We need hardy, durable players. Looking at Webster and Didsy.... how were their clubs able to get these guys fit and firing all season whereby they were always on the treatment table here?

If we have to balance the books and can only bring in 3-4 players on a budget, then Lambert has got to be very shrewd and try and steer us away from crocked players who break down easily.
But I think that's a major concern right there. Webster & DM would both fall into the category of injury prone players if you viewed their time with us. Once they've left Portman Road their new clubs get a good season out of them.
This suggests that there is something fundamentally wrong with our training methods. I can't understand why after a series of managers this hasn't been identified & rectified. As Hallam points out it is season after season & I fear next season will be more of the same :(

tangfastic
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:10 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:43 am
tangfastic wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:36 am
I don’t see how we’re going to offload Freddie and Huws easily. Both in contract (Huws has 2 more years) and both injured.

I’m with DB.... Sears could well have something to offer. In a terrible season, he did actually play well at times and scored a few crackers.... even though he started the season 4th or 5th striker.

As for Huws, can’t see how we’ll ever get any kind of game time out of him. Why we gave him a four year contract with his injury record I’ll never know?
Come to an agreement with Huws and pay up his contract in some shape or form, he has just had another setback FFS, he's fooked. Sears is a difficult one as I have been saying had he been fit and playing you would have seen a different kayden Jackson and I stand by that, however Sears will be lucky to be fit to play until next January so our season will be well shaped by then, we can't afford to wait in the hope he returns as anything like the Sears some think is the answer, for me he will never be the answer.
I don’t mean we have to rely on Sears being a main striker next season.... we need to bring in strikers... but I don’t see how we can offload him if he’s got another year on his contract and he’s long term injured. Who would take him injured and we’d also have to offer some duty of care with rehabilitation anyway. I think we’re stuck with him and come January he could be a handy squad player, especially at League 1 level.

User avatar
derick_ipsw
Posts: 2675
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: CHESTER

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:11 am

Why would you play Skuse at centre back when Chalabah is a centre half. PL has lost the plot i just hope in pre season he has a rethink because 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 just does not work. f*ck knows what the system was yesterday 5-5-0 unbelievable. You have got until the end of August PL if things haven't improved i want you gone!!

tangfastic
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:13 am

mugen1 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:49 am
tangfastic wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:59 am
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:10 pm
Ive lost count of the number of SEASONS that this Club has been hampered by multiple , long term injuries. It’s crippled us every season.

Why so many injuries ????

Poor training methods?

Bringing in injury prone players ?

I don’t know that it is , but I think Lambert and his back room team has to get a grip of this situation . A club might have a season of injuries , but not multiple seasons like Town has done . You don’t get “ bad luck” every season. There is something wrong with our “ systems” and this needs looking into - urgently this summer.
Well I’m not sure about training methods, but what we should not be doing is bringing in injured players or ones with histories of injuries. I would be very worried about bringing Keane in or Collins. We need hardy, durable players. Looking at Webster and Didsy.... how were their clubs able to get these guys fit and firing all season whereby they were always on the treatment table here?

If we have to balance the books and can only bring in 3-4 players on a budget, then Lambert has got to be very shrewd and try and steer us away from crocked players who break down easily.
But I think that's a major concern right there. Webster & DM would both fall into the category of injury prone players if you viewed their time with us. Once they've left Portman Road their new clubs get a good season out of them.
This suggests that there is something fundamentally wrong with our training methods. I can't understand why after a series of managers this hasn't been identified & rectified. As Hallam points out it is season after season & I fear next season will be more of the same :(
Bring back Hurst’s Modern Sports Science. :) I know what you mean.... somethings wrong as well as trading in shop-soiled goods.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 19861
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:17 am

Lucky we did play Skuse at CB yesterday or it would have been 4 or 5, that said I agree, we don't want to be seeing that as a regular thing next season. I don't think the events of yesterday should be taken too seriously though as the 5-5-0 thing was kinda forced on us, Jackson going off was just typical, I think from what I could see he tried to push Judge into a bit of an attacking free roll and it just didn't work, lets face it Downes, Bishop, Dozzell, Chalobah were all on the pitch and none of them are capable of playing as a striker under any stretch of the imagination.

tangfastic
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:27 am

Skuse did actually play there pretty well. In the same way, Knudsen played well in a 3 man defence. But it’s all so makeshift and can’t see Lambert going with 3 defenders and 2 wing backs to accommodate Skuse. It says something when Skuse goes into an unfamiliar role and outshines the real defenders.

Just waiting for the season to end and time for a clean slate. We could be struggling to have one fit striker for our last game.

User avatar
Shed on tour
Posts: 6992
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:21 pm

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:40 am

As I said to bluemike on the way up to Sheffield yesterday imo there is no way we should consider signing Keane due to his injury record.
Just be glad when the nightmare of this season ends next Sunday. As for next season I just don't have a clue how it is going to turn out. What I would say is I don't think that our problems are going to be resolved quickly but just hope we can get some sort of winning mentality back in the club.
Thanks for the company yesterday Mike although it seemed like we were never going to get there or back to Ipswich. I hope you remembered to feed that pussy! :lol:

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 19861
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:54 am

Great to spend the day with you Shed, enjoyed the company, and yes despite getting home so late the Pussy was sorted !!! LMFAO.

Ando
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ando » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:16 pm

Skuse did play well in the back 3 but pretty much as a sweeper, but this exposed the other two a little in particular Chambers. Playing skuse there is certainly something that could work next season.

I tend to agree with Mike in that what did we really expect from yesterday? Yes we were battered and we lacked any sort of quality however the lads never gave up and showed some grit and determination. Had the team rolled over it could have been much much worse. Saying that at 2-0 Sheffield did take their foot off the gas a bit.

I think judge had his poorest game for us with a few missed place passes, it's almost like he's trying to do too much.

As for Sears, I have always liked him as a player and is more intelligent with his runs than he is given credit for. He was great when he first arrived playing down the middle, then lost his way a bit when playing wide. I would certainly keep him, he is a proven goal scorer in league 1 and will give us another dimension when he does finally return.

I know Lamberts record is no better compared to PH however I'm not sure any manager would have kept us up. The transfer window loanees were a gamble and they have not had the impact we would have hoped for.

I really believe if we get another striker in, a pacer wide player and a centre back we will be very competitive next season. Lambert will have a full pre-season and if he gets the type of player he needs to fit into the system he wants to play we will do just fine.

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 3780
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:05 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:38 am
Just reading back through this thread and in particular prior to kick off and pretty much every single post was expecting a "heavy defeat", "a mauling", an "embarrassment" and yet there seems to be a sense of disbelief that we were outplayed and well beaten ? OK we were poor but come on, who the hell expected anything less and as Lambert says we didn't roll over, they are just much better than us, in fact they are better than everyone else in this Division as well, there looked like there was Two division's between the Two sides, well guess what there is !!

We've just been Relegated for crying out loud and it was their promotion party day waiting to happen, I think it actually went better results wise than I expected for sure, of course it wasn't good and never in doubt but it means nothing in the context of next season, it will be a completely different animal at a far lesser standard than Sheff Utd every week. We have to greatly improve and we all know that but I think a bit of perspective until this fuckfest of a season is done is needed.
I agree. There were times when we passed the ball around nicely despite being outclassed. Lots wrong with the squad and the tactics in my opinion, but it wasn't as awful as some make out.

tangfastic
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:00 pm

It’s got to the stage where we can’t expect the players to be totally focused and on top of their game. They still put in effort, but there’s something missing when you know it’s just a ‘rubber’ in a long, depressing season. I’ll give the team and the manager the benefit of the doubt for the moment.... the last few games have been under-par, but I think that’s more the situation rather than their desire taking hold.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 19861
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:08 pm

Agree with that completely Tang

Blue Wilf
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:19 pm

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:14 pm

We have to get the season done, not jump to conclusions or rash views about what the future holds, leave it all alone for a few weeks, re-group and go again. Now is not the time to judge PL - see where we are at Christmas and we can then start to criticise and/or worry. Until then, we just have to support the plan and keep the faith. Not easy but thats the truth.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 19861
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:59 pm

It would utter madness and bordering on ignorance to even contemplate changing the manager yet again !! OFF the field needed sorting as much if not more than ON it, sad but true, Lambert has done this brilliantly, I know for a fact that fans are returning next season because of him and I also know from mingling with lots of different fans at home and away that there would be serious issues return should he be sacked, however fans across the board also realise next season just has to yield results, myself included, I for one don't believe we will be disappointed but let's not write it all off just yet, as Lambert said, this club needs a complete rebuild, the real work has only just started.

User avatar
ashfordblue
Posts: 2233
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: Ashford Kent / was Felixstowe

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:57 am

I still say PL must play Luke Wolfenden at CB next season, not Chambers, he's had a super season on loan at Swindon, this is a wonderful chance to rebuild with our youth players, and no loan players coming in, in yesterdays game we seemed to want to play at 100 mph the whole match, so of course the passing was very erratic, we need someone in the centre, who can hold up play and get those defence splitting passes going, not like the hoof ball that was prominent yesterday, bloody awful to watch, and this is what most teams generally play like in DIV 1, so lets see how we do against Leeds, and then have a nice break for summer recess, and watch with interest what PL does with the culling, and what ME supplies PL in the way of funding for the BIG rebuild.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 19861
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:16 pm

I think Woolfenden will indeed play a part next season, and let's not forget Jon Nolan returning in the centre next season, he had started to look the real deal prior to his injury.

tangfastic
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Sheffield United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:33 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if Woolfenden is used initially as a RB. He’s played there also for Swindon and I think he would be more solid than Emmanuel.

I fully expect Chambers to be starting the season at CB. I would actually like to see Judge as Team Captain and Chambers to focus on his game on the pitch, without the extra responsibility of team captain. There’s more and more cracks showing in his game and he has to play well enough to justify his position in the team. I don’t think anyone would begrudge Chambers still being Club Captain.

Post Reply