NOW FOR PROMOTION

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Relegation. Now for Promotion

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:44 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:03 am
marko69 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:22 am
number 9 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:34 pm
If you want a reality check, go back and read the articles when Hurst was appointed manager. There was infectious optimism and we all know how that turned out. I think we need to start the season brightly. I’ve given Lambert a pass for this season, but I fully expect him to have the young guns firing. If not and we struggle, I’m afraid that may tip the balance in the wrong direction. I don’t want to think about that, and I do think we should be capable of at least making the playoffs. So, fingers crossed Lambert gets it right!
👍 to all of this.
Not from all of us there wasn't, Myself, Charnwood and Rossi were totally against the Hurst appointment and i 'm sure there were others.
Yes, the three pessimistic amigos aside! :D

In a completely non sarcastic way, I admire having the insight to know that a manager is going to be Shyte, and proceeding henceforth with opinions on it. It must be a gift.
After witnessing Paul Hursts pre season interview last season, I was more excited THEN than I am now of Lambos forthcoming League One season. How wrong could one be!!

But after watching Messi last night......, who really gives a f*ck. It’s all just “joke” football compared to that.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:32 am

See everyone's right sometimes 😂😂

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:51 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:44 am
derick_ipsw wrote:
marko69 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:22 am

👍 to all of this.
Not from all of us there wasn't, Myself, Charnwood and Rossi were totally against the Hurst appointment and i 'm sure there were others.

In a completely non sarcastic way, I admire having the insight to know that a manager is going to be Shyte, and proceeding henceforth with opinions on it. It must be a gift.
After witnessing Paul Hursts pre season interview last season, I was more excited THEN than I am now of Lambos forthcoming League One season. How wrong could one be!!

But after watching Messi last night......, who really gives a f*ck. It’s all just “joke” football compared to that.
The only insight i had was the guy had no experience dealing with championship football or players, to me it was a crazy decision. Regarding Lambert, i said a few weeks back he brought the club and the fans together and the only thing that's missing is wins. If we don't start well in League 1 the natives will turn and all PL's excellent PR skills will count for nothing. He has to start winning a lot of football matches and quickly.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:10 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:51 am
marko69 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:44 am
derick_ipsw wrote:

The only insight i had was the guy had no experience dealing with championship football or players, to me it was a crazy decision. Regarding Lambert, i said a few weeks back he brought the club and the fans together and the only thing that's missing is wins. If we don't start well in League 1 the natives will turn and all PL's excellent PR skills will count for nothing. He has to start winning a lot of football matches and quickly.
Here’s the thing.... do you think we could have got Paul Lambert in a year ago? Personally, his appointment would have been highly controversial and unpopular. I’m backing Lambo, but his time here has been made far more easier due to the f*ck up by Hurst. And also the disharmony created during the latter part of Mick’s spell.
So many wanted a young, up and coming manager then ( I did) and looking back it was probably due to the fact it was the was the polar opposite of Mick. Not sure an experienced manager would have been supported by the majority of the fans then and it could have been an upward battle to win them over. There would be constant moans of how we’d let slip a Hurst or a Ross through our fingers. Maybe trying to look at this as a positive, but can’t help feeling for us to take to Lambert and give him an extended honeymoon period we had to go through the disastrous Hurst experience.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Relegation. NOW FOR PROMOTION

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:15 pm

Lambert had to put right things OFF the pitch, even before things on it believe it or not cus the club was dying, that particular scenario was down to McCarthy not Hurst.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:15 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:15 pm
Lambert had to put right things OFF the pitch, even before things on it believe it or not cus the club was dying, that particular scenario was down to McCarthy not Hurst.
Cant disagree with that. MM caused a major rift with the fans, Hurst was just out of his depth and thought he was actually better or cleverer than he actually was, which i think a few of the senior players took a dislike to.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:23 am

Mr Lambert I suggest you end this season with 3 performances that leaves the fans with a good feeling.. A lot is riding on the next 3 games. Swansea needs to be a win and then Sheffield United and Leeds promotion issues. If we produce performances and God help us some wins this will sell more season tickets and make people really look forward to next season.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:36 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:23 am
Mr Lambert I suggest you end this season with 3 performances that leaves the fans with a good feeling.. A lot is riding on the next 3 games. Swansea needs to be a win and then Sheffield United and Leeds promotion issues. If we produce performances and God help us some wins this will sell more season tickets and make people really look forward to next season.
Ok then try 2 performances. :astroll:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:21 am

Against Sheffield United & Leeds? 'Sno happenin'!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:17 pm

6 points, or is it pints.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:58 pm

What’s most worrying is that there is very little sign of any improvement, in fact it appears to be getting worse. Often after relegation has been confirmed players and teams get improved performances having got rid of the pressure brought on by fear, Fulham are a prime example.

I just hope and pray the current downward spiral doesn’t carry over into next season.

derick_ipsw

NOW FOR PROMOTION

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:37 pm

After 29 matches and 3 wins you would think he would realize 4-2-3-1 does not work. :lol:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:55 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:58 pm
What’s most worrying is that there is very little sign of any improvement, in fact it appears to be getting worse. Often after relegation has been confirmed players and teams get improved performances having got rid of the pressure brought on by fear, Fulham are a prime example.

I just hope and pray the current downward spiral doesn’t carry over into next season.
You and me both. I did think we would be more at it to be honest after the Birmingham game with the pressure off but unfortunately its gone the other way. I have also officially dropped the Relegation from this thread. :wink:

derick_ipsw

Re: NOW FOR PROMOTION

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed May 01, 2019 6:09 am

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed May 01, 2019 5:31 pm

I am sure he will, I don’t think any manager would have kept this squad up with the injuries it’s had.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Relegation

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 06, 2019 9:18 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:44 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:20 pm
I think it will be confirmed at the home game against Birmingham
That would be awful if it happened on a home game. :shock:
It wasn't that bad as it turned out, fans were fantastic.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 06, 2019 9:33 am

Players I would deffo keep......

Dean Gerken
Luke Chambers
Josh Emmanuel
Toto Nsiala
Myles Kenlock
Luke Woolfenden
Gwion Edwards
Cole Skuse
Jon Nolan
Teddy Bishop
Flynn Downes
Andre Dozzell
Alan Judge
Kayden Jackson
Jack Lankester

From the U23's etc.....

Idris El Mizouni
Dylan Crowe
Bailey Clements
Corrie Ndaba
Ben Morris
Ben Folami

Players Unsure of whether to keep or not.....

Trystan Nydam
Janoi Donacien
Danny Rowe
Ellis Harrison
Freddie Sears

Players to release or sell if possible......

Bartosz Bialkowski
Jonas Knudsen
Jordan Spence
James Collins
Grant ward
Jordan Roberts
Tom Adeyemi
Emyr Huws
Simon Dawkins
Barry Cotter
Aaron Drinan

Compliment that with 4 or 5 good new signings in the right areas (Attack & Defence) and that looks a more than capable L1 squad with massive potential for improvement, backed up by the talented academy kids and we aren't far away, for me the Midfield lacks maybe just one good box to box Midfielder but Jon Nolan looks like he was the man for that job, other than that we are well stocked in that area of the field.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 06, 2019 9:51 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:33 am

Dean Gerken
Luke Chambers
Josh Emmanuel
Toto Nsiala
Myles Kenlock
Luke Woolfenden
Gwion Edwards
Cole Skuse
Jon Nolan
Teddy Bishop
Flynn Downes
Andre Dozzell
Alan Judge
Kayden Jackson
Jack Lankester

From the U23's etc.....

Idris El Mizouni
Dylan Crowe
Bailey Clements
Corrie Ndaba
Ben Morris
Ben Folami

Trystan Nydam
Janoi Donacien
Danny Rowe
Ellis Harrison
Freddie Sears

Bartosz Bialkowski
Jonas Knudsen
Jordan Spence
James Collins
Grant ward
Jordan Roberts
Tom Adeyemi
Emyr Huws
Simon Dawkins
Barry Cotter
Aaron Drinan

Compliment that with 4 or 5 good new signings in the right areas (Attack & Defence) and that looks a more than capable L1 squad with massive potential for improvement, backed up by the talented academy kids and we aren't far away, for me the Midfield lacks maybe just one good box to box Midfielder but Jon Nolan looks like he was the man for that job, other than that we are well stocked in that area of the field.
I largely agree with the deffo’s ... but think Gerken could be the one out of that list to leave. Could be difficult to offload Bart and don’t think Gerken’s taking his chances. I’d offload him whether Bart stays or not. Must be plenty of GK’s out there from PL or Championship who are 2nd or 3rd choice sitting on the bench who want games.

I’ve got a sneaky feeling Nydam might be offloaded. Pity, as I rated him above Downes and Dozzell for a while.

I think Harrison might be offloaded to create space for 2 strikers. Still think we need a midfield general with a nasty streak as for all the midfielders we have, we don’t have one with a bit of mongrel. And a right back... Emmanuel’s only good enough for back up at the moment.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 06, 2019 9:56 am

Funnily enough Gerken & Emmanuel were the two I moved around as couldn't make my mind up so I totally agree with your thoughts too, a new keeper would be fine with me.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 06, 2019 10:36 am

I also think it’s important to get some fresh faces in with a good attitude and not be too sentimental with familiar faces.

For example, Gerken should have been pressing Bart far more harder for that GK’s shirt. It says something that maybe he was too comfortable here. Someone like Ward should be more than capable at League 1 level, but he never bust a gut for us and I would prefer to keep a wide player like Danny Rowe than Ward. At least Rowe’s gone away and done well albeit at a lower level (but wouldn’t be surprised if we see him in League 1 at Lincoln). I think we’ve got a decent dressing room full of good blokes, but think we’re missing a bit of character. Apart from Judge and Chambers... I don’t see many leaders.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Mon May 06, 2019 10:47 am

Mostly agree with your list Mike but would like to keep Harrison. I think he has goals in him. He's been very unlucky this season with injuries at the wrong time and hasn't had a decent run of games to show us what he's capable of. I was quite excited about his pre-season performance v West Ham and felt then that he and Dozzell could work really well together with Dozzell's lovely intelligent through balls giving him plenty of chances. I hope we will get to see that happen next season. Thanks a lot to all the great posts you (Bluemike) have made this season and here's to next season hopefully battering teams in League 1. I feel very optimistic at the moment. Let's hope we get some early momentum in August. Winning is a good habit which we seem to have lost so maybe yesterday's win will have started a new trend!! COYB.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 06, 2019 12:30 pm

Bluemike wrote:

Dean Gerken
Luke Chambers
Josh Emmanuel
Toto Nsiala
Myles Kenlock
Luke Woolfenden
Gwion Edwards
Cole Skuse
Jon Nolan
Teddy Bishop
Flynn Downes
Andre Dozzell
Alan Judge
Kayden Jackson
Jack Lankester

From the U23's etc.....

Idris El Mizouni
Dylan Crowe
Bailey Clements
Corrie Ndaba
Ben Morris
Ben Folami

Trystan Nydam
Janoi Donacien
Danny Rowe
Ellis Harrison
Freddie Sears

Bartosz Bialkowski
Jonas Knudsen
Jordan Spence
James Collins
Grant ward
Jordan Roberts
Tom Adeyemi
Emyr Huws
Simon Dawkins
Barry Cotter
Aaron Drinan

I can’t believe in our financial position that we have so many players under contract !

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 06, 2019 1:02 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:30 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Dean Gerken
Luke Chambers
Josh Emmanuel
Toto Nsiala
Myles Kenlock
Luke Woolfenden
Gwion Edwards
Cole Skuse
Jon Nolan
Teddy Bishop
Flynn Downes
Andre Dozzell
Alan Judge
Kayden Jackson
Jack Lankester

From the U23's etc.....

Idris El Mizouni
Dylan Crowe
Bailey Clements
Corrie Ndaba
Ben Morris
Ben Folami

Trystan Nydam
Janoi Donacien
Danny Rowe
Ellis Harrison
Freddie Sears

Bartosz Bialkowski
Jonas Knudsen
Jordan Spence
James Collins
Grant ward
Jordan Roberts
Tom Adeyemi
Emyr Huws
Simon Dawkins
Barry Cotter
Aaron Drinan

I can’t believe in our financial position that we have so many players under contract !
That doesn’t count the loan signings we’ve had obviously. 9 loan signings as well. Just had a quick look, but there’s only 4 players who’ve made more than 30 starts for us ( Chambers, Skuse, CHalobah and Pennington) and two of them are loans.
Another important factor.... no consistent starting line-up’s... it’s been mix n match. Hopefully, less is more from now on.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon May 06, 2019 1:52 pm

Today's the day when the players will be told if they are staying or going. The squad has got to be trimmed we just have to many players. There may well be some shocks.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:25 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:52 pm
Today's the day when the players will be told if they are staying or going. The squad has got to be trimmed we just have to many players. There may well be some shocks.
Why? Is Ross the alcoholic sparky fi Balerno going to be there?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 06, 2019 10:14 pm

RRanger wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:47 am
Mostly agree with your list Mike but would like to keep Harrison. I think he has goals in him. He's been very unlucky this season with injuries at the wrong time and hasn't had a decent run of games to show us what he's capable of. I was quite excited about his pre-season performance v West Ham and felt then that he and Dozzell could work really well together with Dozzell's lovely intelligent through balls giving him plenty of chances. I hope we will get to see that happen next season. Thanks a lot to all the great posts you (Bluemike) have made this season and here's to next season hopefully battering teams in League 1. I feel very optimistic at the moment. Let's hope we get some early momentum in August. Winning is a good habit which we seem to have lost so maybe yesterday's win will have started a new trend!! COYB.
Cheers bud, very kind. Yes next season could be a really fun journey, let's do our bit to make it just that

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue May 07, 2019 9:00 am

I see the suggested players to keep etc , but I think Lambert will be culling the squad even more than that. I’m sure I heard somewhere a squad size of around 20. Now we still need some defenders and strikers to come in so space has to be made for these newbies. So some players suggested to keep , I can see being released. We need fresh blood in to freshen squad up, and the strikers we have had haven’t been up to the task. No place for sympathy I’m afraid.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue May 07, 2019 9:18 am

hallamblue wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:00 am
I see the suggested players to keep etc , but I think Lambert will be culling the squad even more than that. I’m sure I heard somewhere a squad size of around 20. Now we still need some defenders and strikers to come in so space has to be made for these newbies. So some players suggested to keep , I can see being released. We need fresh blood in to freshen squad up, and the strikers we have had haven’t been up to the task. No place for sympathy I’m afraid.
If the squad is getting to be cut further, then there could be a few surprises. And the ones who stay in a reduced squad should be capable of playing 35+ games. We’ve got the obvious sick notes, but even players like Edwards, Nolan, Harrison, Bishop and Jackson seem to pick up knocks regularly. Skuse seems to be picking up injuries now as well. Agree there’s no place for sentiment and we haven’t the luxury of carrying players who are only fit half the time.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue May 07, 2019 1:18 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:00 am
I agree. And I think the whole style of play / player mentality needs to be looked at.
On the few occasions I've managed to watch Luton on tv this season, they have achieved success by going at teams. It's not uncommon for them to have had 20 or more shots in a game. Their mentality has been to put the emphasis on attack, and if they concede it doesn't matter because they'll score more than they let in. I think it will let them down next season - as I think Norwich will find it similarly difficult in the prem. Neither side is good enough at the back for their new division.

I was delighted with the performance and the result on Sunday. But watch the highlights and hopefully you'll see what I mean about the style of play / mentality of our team.
Our first goal came about because we had players in the box from a free kick and Downmes got on the end of a loose ball. This only happens for us from set plays. Compare that to Leeds' second goal. It came from open play and they got 5 players in the box. For their first goal, the ball went down the wing and 3 of their players burst into the box.
Look carefully at our second goal. A lovely move. But. Chalobah and Quaner are both involved in the build up. Both of them stop moving the moment they have delivered their final pass. Only Judge makes an effort to get in the box to folow up. This has been opur problem for many years; the midfield don't get up inot the box in support.

So yes, we need to trim the squad. But we need to change atttudes. And i know everyone hates Knudsen and he doesn't want to play for us, but look where the goals came from on Sunday. We need a left back as well as a right back.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 07, 2019 1:32 pm

Glad someone has finally mentioned the move for our second goal, absolute quality football.