Poor Chris Houghton

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

nicscreamer

Poor Chris Houghton

Post by nicscreamer » Mon May 13, 2019 12:07 pm

So another manager bites the dust. Its a cruel world for managers out there.

On the one hand I see why they have sacked him, but on the other he did get them to the premiership and kept them there... all be it by the skin of their teeth. Should they have given him time in the new season????? Comments on a postcard to "be careful what you wish for"

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Poor Chris Houghton

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 13, 2019 12:19 pm

I can't for the life of me see why they have sacked him, what the hell do they expect him to achieve over and above what he's done ? Ridiculous decision.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon May 13, 2019 12:29 pm

I think they were panicked by the last 20 games.... they were pretty dire and only survived because of Cardiff losing..... Maybe they want someone else to spend the summer Monday and think Chris has gone as far as he can. Its all very small margins at the bottom of the premiership.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon May 13, 2019 12:29 pm

Money not Monday

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 13, 2019 12:39 pm

I feel for the guy, but if the owners are concerned about the declining results since the start of the year and want something fresh, then is it better to do it now rather than sack him in October or November? I thinks it bloody harsh, but not surprised and can understand it due to the cutthroat nature of the PL.
I like Hughton and I think he’s done a great job there. It could work out better for him in the long run as his reputation hasn’t been damaged and I’m not sure he was building anything anymore at Brighton, just focusing on survival.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 13, 2019 1:18 pm

Wouldn't say "poor Chris Hughton"....... "Feckin loaded Chris Hughton" probably more accurate with a "go away" payment definitely in six figures at least. If the truth were known, it's probably a weight been removed from his back

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon May 13, 2019 1:57 pm

Careful what you wish for Brighton! Now where have I heard that before? :D

Brighton were pretty dreadful for the last few games. All good thing run their coarse and come to an end. Brighton clearly what to try a different direction.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:09 pm

Ando wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:57 pm
Careful what you wish for Brighton! Brighton clearly want to try a different direction.
Yep. Unfortunately could use Ipswich as an example for both the "wishing" and the "direction" there, Ando.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 13, 2019 2:32 pm

Just had a look at a form table for the last 20 games.

Brighton are second from bottom, with only Huddersfield below them. If that trend continues, then they’ll be in the sh*t straight away next season. I can see why Brighton made that decision. Do Brighton play the good guy and back a manager more through loyalty and appreciation for his work from the last few years OR be the bad guy and take a calculated risk and get rid of a decent bloke/manager due to the last 20+ games. I think it’s best for all parties... Hughton’s time is up, he gets a good payoff and leaves with his reputation unblemished AND Brighton have to back themselves to get a decent replacement.

Would Hughton consider League 1 if he hadn’t found a job by September/ October, say?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:37 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:32 pm
Would Hughton consider League 1 if he hadn’t found a job by September/ October, say?
:lol: in Lambo Tang trusts!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 13, 2019 2:47 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:37 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:32 pm
:lol: in Lambo Tang trusts!
I do trust in Lambo, but I can see the fans turning very quickly if we don’t start well.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon May 13, 2019 7:53 pm

Chris Hughton is a class act and a very good manager. Having said that, I do think that things had become stale over time and Brighton have struggled since December.

It probably was time got a change but they will need to bring in a lot of fresh talent on the playing front. That squad is poor. I can see them having another very difficult season ahead.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Mon May 13, 2019 8:03 pm

One half of brain: idiots, got them up, kept them up easy, then kept them up and got them to a cup semi.

Other half: negative football, maybe the fans fancied a change.

Just feels harsh as he has been ‘unjustly’ dismissed at other clubs.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:08 am

Put a curse on the bstds, AB......., they'll be in the Vanarama by 2023!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue May 14, 2019 3:13 am

After Brighton’s final result and survival, the owner probably said, “Phew!...that was close! Now get rid of that c*ck, Houghton!”.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:07 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:13 am
After Brighton’s final result and survival, the owner probably said, “Phew!...that was close! Now get rid of that c*ck, Houghton!”.
:lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue May 14, 2019 1:27 pm

Must have been an altercation with a higher authority within the club set-up. Something internal went wrong, issues with the players, maybe someone made a complaint, don't know the entire details. Bottom line they maintained their EPL status and got to within one game of an F.A. Cup Final, that surely represents something of an achievement.

Years back Jimmy Melia had a similar situation, actually went one better and made an FA Cup Final appearance although the team were not able back then to avert a top league relegation. Point being Melia may have been fired around that time but unable to recall right now. All said it's a questionable decision but as before there could well have been unsettling within the team and Houghton for this issue to arise.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:31 pm

Maybe the Brighton owner is a Liverpool fan and that 4-1 home defeat to City was the final straw! Could be as simple as that.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue May 14, 2019 1:38 pm

I can’t help think that nowadays 5 years at a club is good going.... especially the PL. Getting fired isn’t exactly an endorsement of high praise, but shouldn’t be necessarily seen as ‘youre sh*t’, but more as we have to try and change things before you get sh*t.

If the owners lost complete trust in Hughton they probably would have replaced him with 5 games to go.