Town to announce retained list on Mobday

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Town to announce retained list on Mobday

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 17, 2019 10:42 pm

EADT states in its headline that the squad could be possibly around 33.

Surely this is far too high for wages in a League One Club??

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... -1-6057370

hallamblue

Re: Town to announce retained list on Mobday

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 17, 2019 10:43 pm

NO I’m not pissed ...... this is what happens when bloody texting on a mobile phone !!! :lol:

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat May 18, 2019 8:27 am

I think the figure of 33 is just the number left if the out of contract players and loanees depart. It isn't taking into account any contracted players being sold / given away. I'm imagine we will have a squad size under 30.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat May 18, 2019 9:07 am

With all these extra games (long Cup runs 😋) and a smaller squad I only hope we can at last steer clear of injuries.

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Sat May 18, 2019 5:23 pm

Not unless something drastic changes with: I) Our training methods. II) Our training pitches. III) Our rehabilitation team/methods. IV) Forcing players back into action before they're ready.

Take your pick!

lucy

Post by lucy » Mon May 20, 2019 11:11 am

It's a shame to see Grant Ward go.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 20, 2019 11:20 am

No it isnt

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon May 20, 2019 11:22 am

No surprises in there for me. I expect Bart to be sold now and the giant keeper to come in from Gillingham.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 20, 2019 11:32 am

lucy wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:11 am
It's a shame to see Grant Ward go.
Has he actually gone? Don’t we have to provide his medical rehab support?

TBH... he’s not going to get a contract while unfit elsewhere and if he is training with us when he’s nearing fitness, I wouldn’t completely rule out a short term contract ( if he’s putting Chambo on his arse in training). For now, I don’t think he’s done enough to earn another year, especially when he can’t play for a while.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon May 20, 2019 11:38 am

Quite happy with that. Needed to trim the squad down, and what better place to start than the out of contract players.

We will never know what a fully fit Adeyemi could have done, but could we have taken the risk of giving another contract? Midfield is an area where we seem to have too many players anyway, so we probably will not miss what we never really truly had!

I will be interested to see the position with Huws and while I always liked what I saw on the few occasions I saw him play, I guess a lot depends on any interest shown by other clubs (who might feel they can lift the injury curse, as in McGoldrick and Webster's cases). Certainly do not think we are going to get a better midfielder (just less injury prone) than Huws with our budget constraints, so we might be better to work with him over the close season and even then not to take chances in rushing him back.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 20, 2019 11:46 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:38 am
Quite happy with that. Needed to trim the squad down, and what better place to start than the out of contract players.

We will never know what a fully fit Adeyemi could have done, but could we have taken the risk of giving another contract? Midfield is an area where we seem to have too many players anyway, so we probably will not miss what we never really truly had!

I will be interested to see the position with Huws and while I always liked what I saw on the few occasions I saw him play, I guess a lot depends on any interest shown by other clubs (who might feel they can lift the injury curse, as in McGoldrick and Webster's cases). Certainly do not think we are going to get a better midfielder (just less injury prone) than Huws with our budget constraints, so we might be better to work with him over the close season and even then not to take chances in rushing him back.
I don’t think we can ever be accused of rushing him back :).
Surely, between the player and the club there must come a point where they agree this can’t go on. Being considerate to Huws, it can’t be good to be a full-time rehab patient.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon May 20, 2019 12:54 pm

No problem at all with letting those go.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Mon May 20, 2019 6:41 pm

Particularly content with Knudsen's departure as I didn't like his attitude after the end of 17/18 season.

No problem with the departure of all released players to be honest.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 20, 2019 7:24 pm

Mach , I honestly think if some of the other senior players had been out of contract I could see the, being released too. And Im, thinking Sears, and Huws.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Mon May 20, 2019 9:07 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:24 pm
Mach , I honestly think if some of the other senior players had been out of contract I could see the, being released too. And Im, thinking Sears, and Huws.
Chambers could have been out of contract too but got an extension for his 'excellent' ... off the pitch stuff.