Transfer Rumours Thread 2019/20 Season

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Transfer Rumours Thread 2019/20 Season

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 18, 2019 12:51 pm

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... -1-6057972
Ipswich Town are in advanced talks with giant Czech goalkeeper Tomas Holy.

Holy, who is 6ft 9in, is out of contract at Gillingham and available on a free transfer.

There has been significant progress regarding the deal in recent days but it is not yet complete, although there is a possibility it could be announced next week.

The Blues will be in the market for at least one goalkeeper this summer, with Dean Gerken likely to move on once the club's retained list is announced on Monday and early interest from three Championship clubs in Bartosz Bialkowski.

Holy, 27, played 52 games during an impressive season with Gillingham, having previously played for Czech giants Sparta Prague.

He's represented his country up to Under 18 level.
Town are in talks with Gillingham keeper Tomas Holy regarding a move to Portman Road when his contract with the Gills expires at the end of June.

The Daily Mirror reports that the Blues are close to clinching a deal and TWTD understands Town have indeed held talks with the 27-year-old 6ft 9in tall Czech keeper in recent days.

Rychnov nad Kněžnou-born Holy, believed to be the world’s third tallest keeper, came through the ranks at Sparta Prague but featured only for their B team - having spent time on loan at Graffin Vlasim, Viktoria Zizkov and Fastav Zlin - before joining the Gills in the summer of 2017.

Holy, who has won caps with the Czech Republic at U16, U17 and U18s levels, was linked with Arsenal last summer, was an ever-present for the League One side this season and in total has made 107 appearances.

Town have spoken to a number of out-of-contract keepers since the end of the season - we understand Exeter’s Christy Pym is, as per recent links, another to have been sounded out - with Championship clubs having already shown interest in Bartosz Bialkowski and with Dean Gerken expected to leave.

Gerken’s former club Colchester United are reported to be showing interest in re-signing the 33-year-old.
Don't know a thing about him but if he can kick a ball, catch a ball, command his box and come off his line it is better than what we currently have.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat May 18, 2019 1:03 pm

Holy f*ck!!!!!

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Sat May 18, 2019 1:49 pm

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat May 18, 2019 2:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 12:51 pm

Holy, who is 6ft 9in, is out of contract at Gillingham and available on a free transfer.

There has been significant progress regarding the deal in recent days but it is not yet complete, although there is a possibility it could be announced next week.

The Blues will be in the market for at least one goalkeeper this summer, with Dean Gerken likely to move on once the club's retained list is announced on Monday and early interest from three Championship clubs in Bartosz Bialkowski.

Holy, 27, played 52 games during an impressive season with Gillingham, having previously played for Czech giants Sparta Prague.

Town are in talks with Gillingham keeper Tomas Holy regarding a move to Portman Road when his contract with the Gills expires at the end of June.

The Daily Mirror reports that the Blues are close to clinching a deal and TWTD understands Town have indeed held talks with the 27-year-old 6ft 9in tall Czech keeper in recent days.

Rychnov nad Kněžnou-born Holy, believed to be the world’s third tallest keeper, came through the ranks at Sparta Prague but featured only for their B team - having spent time on loan at Graffin Vlasim, Viktoria Zizkov and Fastav Zlin - before joining the Gills in the summer of 2017.

Holy, who has won caps with the Czech Republic at U16, U17 and U18s levels, was linked with Arsenal last summer, was an ever-present for the League One side this season and in total has made 107 appearances.

Town have spoken to a number of out-of-contract keepers since the end of the season - we understand Exeter’s Christy Pym is, as per recent links, another to have been sounded out - with Championship clubs having already shown interest in Bartosz Bialkowski and with Dean Gerken expected to leave.

Gerken’s former club Colchester United are reported to be showing interest in re-signing the 33-year-old.
Don't know a thing about him but if he can kick a ball, catch a ball, command his box and come off his line it is better than what we currently have.
Not only that but when all our strikers manage to get injured again, at 6ft 9in we can play him up front. :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 18, 2019 9:48 pm

This Gills GK has been watched a good number of Prem Clubs.....so HOW the hell is he possibly signing for us? :shock:

Scroll down the article to get the views on him .......

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... t-13000991

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 18, 2019 9:53 pm

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 18, 2019 10:14 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:53 pm
Holy.........
Moly.......

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 18, 2019 10:45 pm

:lol: trust you lol

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun May 19, 2019 8:15 am

6 ft 9 !!!!

If this comes off, then I hope he uses his height to dominate on crosses. We’ve been missing that in a GK.

This could be going to extremes for us with one of the shortest GK’s in English football, Laurie Sivell, to one of the tallest.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 19, 2019 9:00 am

I’ve seen some you tube of him . Typical continental gk for me - he NEVER catches the ball. I hate GK’s that just constantly palm or bat the ball away, when it’s often just as easy to catch the thing and “ kill” the game for opponents.

Still, there is such a thing as coaching, I suppose!

EDIT:

Just seen this video and feel much more reassured of him now . Commands his area, does catch the ball and bloody hell he can throw the ball further than Bart could ever kick it !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQCkT2YjRC0

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun May 19, 2019 9:19 am

If he can be trained to header a ball for corners,we might be on to a winner,stick him up front with Norwood.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 19, 2019 10:50 am

Magicmark wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:19 am
If he can be trained to header a ball for corners....
Header a ball FOR corners, MM? Or header a ball FROM corners? Because I’m getting visions of another player grabbing him by the ankles and swinging him like a golf club! 😂

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun May 19, 2019 11:18 am

marko69 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:50 am
Magicmark wrote:
Header a ball FOR corners, MM? Or header a ball FROM corners? Because I’m getting visions of another player grabbing him by the ankles and swinging him like a golf club! 😂
marko69 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:50 am
Magicmark wrote:

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun May 19, 2019 11:21 am

At 6ft 9 he sounds like he'd be great at basketball.sign him up for the Harlam globe trotters :D

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun May 19, 2019 9:53 pm

Being tall is no safeguard against errors and individual mistakes. Best keepers are those with versatility and positional awareness. Could be a worthwhile attempt however, cover for Bialkowski and Gerken, and would expect one of the latter names to move during close season.

Looked on News Now yesterday for any other activity involving ourselves but nothing concerning. Expect one or two attacking names coming in, the players we brought in over time haven't really met expectation.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:37 am

saint jude wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:53 pm
Being tall is no safeguard against errors and individual mistakes. Best keepers are those with versatility and positional awareness
This is absolutely spot on, Saint.

I’ve kept quiet about Holy Moly 6ft 9in guy due to that very reason. Can’t speak for everyone’s experiences of watching football, but my view is keepers between 5ft 11in - 6ft 2in are usually the best for what you describe, Saint.

Petr Cech aside, towering keepers are sometimes guilty of making bungling errors and can be on the slower side getting down to near-post shots.

If signed, can only hope he is as versatile horizontally as he will be vertically.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 20, 2019 8:54 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:37 am
saint jude wrote:
Being tall is no safeguard against errors and individual mistakes. Best keepers are those with versatility and positional awareness

I’ve kept quiet about Holy Moly 6ft 9in guy due to that very reason. Can’t speak for everyone’s experiences of watching football, but my view is keepers between 5ft 11in - 6ft 2in are usually the best for what you describe, Saint.

Petr Cech aside, towering keepers are sometimes guilty of making bungling errors and can be on the slower side getting down to near-post shots.

If signed, can only hope he is as versatile horizontally as he will be vertically.
I don’t think anyone is saying that an ultra tall GK is better than a smaller one. If that was the case, then every GK would be at least 6ft 5’ . You’d think they would be better at dealing with crosses, but struggle a bit getting down to shots. But there’s always exceptions. I thought Peter Crouch’s strength would be his heading, but he seemed better with his feet, for example.
Bart is not small at all, but didn’t seem to have the confidence to go out and command the box. I’d say it is down to confidence and no small amount of bravery, rather than height, to deal with crosses. It would be nice to see our GK catch the ball whilst legally flattening an opponent at a set-piece, rather than another “oh f*ck, we’re going to concede here” moment.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:02 am

Yep Tang, you’re correct, neither Saint or my comment said that ultra tall keepers are better. Definitely not. Advantages yes, definitely, but just saying, from spectator experience, guys like Andy Goram, Jim Leighton etc...., lightyears better than the taller guys.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon May 20, 2019 2:27 pm

If you really wish to push the boat out you could seek out Simon Jorgensen, who at 6, '11 is not only the highest player in a goalkeeping position, but soccer as a whole. Spent some time with Accrington of all things.

Size aside if I had pick of goalkeepers past and present for next season I'd choose Lev Yashin. Obviously not feasible in any capacity but still the best I'd ever witnessed. Names like Southall, Oliver Khan and Maier not far behind. Would include William Foulke in it but more of a celebrity figure back in the day than a proven shot stopper or reliable figure. For presence in goal however you would do well to find none better.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 20, 2019 4:00 pm

Whatever this guys size is he will not be any slower at getting down low to his left side than Bart because it isn't possible !!

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Mon May 20, 2019 5:55 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:37 am
saint jude wrote:

I'm sure tall goal keepers have a massive advantage over a dwarf keepers,guess there are not many dwarf goalies lol

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:16 am

Daughter was in hospital at the weekend and myself and the Mrs went to the hospital cafe for a coffee. There was a dwarf couple sitting having lunch. I said to the wife, (being nice) “Aw that’s nice. A dwarf couple.”
My God. The look on her face??? :shock: It was as if I’d shouted out that everyone in the cafe were “C” words.

“Vertically challenged” these days, MM.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue May 21, 2019 9:16 am

marko69 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:16 am
Daughter was in hospital at the weekend and myself and the Mrs went to the hospital cafe for a coffee. There was a dwarf couple sitting having lunch. I said to the wife, (being nice) “Aw that’s nice. A dwarf couple.”
My God. The look on her face??? :shock: It was as if I’d shouted out that everyone in the cafe were “C” words.

“Vertically challenged” these days, MM.
I think the word ‘dwarf’ has got the thumbs up from the dwarf commmunity. Dwarfism is a genuine condition. They don’t like the term ‘midget’, apparently. And being shot out of cannons too often. Maybe the ‘C’ word to them is ‘cannon-fodder’.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:58 pm

Imagine if you met a female dwarf named Midge!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed May 22, 2019 12:21 am

number 9 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:58 pm
Imagine if you met a female dwarf named Midge!
I'd open the nearest window and let it out.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed May 22, 2019 6:11 am

Bluemike wrote:

He has been offered a new contract at Gillingham https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/ ... list-2019/

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed May 22, 2019 7:07 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:11 am
Bluemike wrote:

He has been offered a new contract at Gillingham https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/ ... list-2019/
Doesn’t mean he will agree to take that contract. I guess there are some players who are desperate to be offered new terms, whilst others are happy to let their contract run down so that they’re more attractive for other clubs as a free transfer. In the same way that probably Jonas Knudsen turned down a new contract here, knowing he will be inundated with offers from bigger clubs.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed May 22, 2019 11:06 am

Doesn’t mean he will agree to take that contract. I guess there are some players who are desperate to be offered new terms, whilst others are happy to let their contract run down so that they’re more attractive for other clubs as a free transfer. In the same way that probably Jonas Knudsen turned down a new contract here, knowing he will be inundated with offers from bigger clubs.

"Judas" Knudson, will be waiting a long time for bigger club. He has been waiting since December 2018 already. :lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed May 22, 2019 11:45 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:06 am

"Judas" Knudson, will be waiting a long time for bigger club. He has been waiting since December 2018 already. :lol:
I bet he wasn’t too happy that Mick got an international job.... I could see those re-united.
I can see Knudsen getting a club easy enough, but I bet he thought loads of bigger clubs would be coming in for him in January. We should have offloaded last Summer... and I think we would have, but so many other senior players decided to leave at the time.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed May 22, 2019 2:20 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:45 am
I can see Knudsen getting a club easy enough, but I bet he thought loads of bigger clubs would be coming in for him in January. We should have offloaded last Summer... and I think we would have, but so many other senior players decided to leave at the time.
It is unfortunate that, at a time when the squad need a thinking, we have lost what us in mg opinipn the only decent fullback we had. I don't like his off field attitude but on the field he was better defensively than anyone we have left.

I made the point previously that the squad is still too big yet needs strengthening. And it'll be hard to offload anti e except the better players who other clubs might want.

Personally I'd have tried to extend his contract in the hope of selling rather than letting him walk away. And if he stayed, then play him. I am aware many others disagree.