It's up for grabs now

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

It's up for grabs now

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun May 26, 2019 1:50 pm

ImageMay 26 1989 seems distant but on this day was tuning in to see an end of season game at Anfield between Liverpool and Arsenal. Don't recall much about the game for some reason other than relevant moments, viewed on a huge black and white TV that seemed to take up half a room.

Had been at the national stadium a few days previous to witness an FA Cup Final (loss) so there was no impartiality about who wanting to win for the game in question. Home side only needed a draw or to lose by one goal to retain the Championship (and pull of a double achievement) but the opposition stole it in (then) unprecedented style with a strike in added time.

People say it were the end of Liverpool's dominance within the game following the success of the 70's and 80's. Freshly scarred by the Hillsborough incident, they were not able to raise their game sufficiently. For anyone old enough to remember (or care) Arsenal were once a standard team that went years without winning or achieving a damn thing. This score was arguably the catalyst to better things and retaining previous stature.

Some still insist this were the greatest ending to a League season in history but feel Manchester City maybe eclipsed it with their own win in 2012. Nonetheless, on this day, and 30 years back, you can take a moment to relive the scenes and atmosphere on that evening. At the time there were little else like it, an experience you can't buy.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: It's up for grabs now

Post by marko69 » Sun May 26, 2019 3:43 pm

Remember the day well and read your post in full. What’s the relevance with the thread title? Do you mean the trophy itself is up for grabs between Villa & Derby?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun May 26, 2019 11:37 pm

It's what was said during commentary as Thomas came in on goal for the decisive strike.

"Arsenal come streaming forward now in what will surely be their last attack. A good ball by Dixon finding Smith, for Thomas charging through the midfield. Thomas - It's up for grabs now - Thomas, right at the end... An unbelievable climax to the League season"

If you recall the closing moments before it you'll picture Barnes near the opposition goal-line trying to get in on Lukic. In retrospect he should have just shot into the crowds behind and submitted a goal-kick. The Thomas strike would never have occurred, it's easy to suggest in hindsight but what's done is done.

One final point, speaking some years later, then manager George Graham spoke out in interview regarding the event.

"There was a team meeting in the hotel before the game. I told the boys "Look, everybody's expecting us to come up here, gung-ho because we've got to win 2 - 0. Don't worry about it, As long as it's 0 - 0 at half time , I'll be delighted, and then we'll have a go in the second half"

I said : "To be quite honest with you, when we have a go, if we get the first goal in the first 20 minutes, it's going to make them nervous and then we'll get the second. And in the last 10 minutes they'll be coming at us and we'll win 3 - 0". And the players just looked at me. That's the truth. I thought we would win three-nothing. I was close.

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon May 27, 2019 12:32 am

This game led to the 1 minute chat by Arsenal fans. Steve McMahon put one finger up to the Arsenal fans with one minute left and the rest is history. Arsenal fans taunted McMahon with the chant.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:31 pm

Cheers for clarifying, Saint. Definitely couldn't remember the commentary.

Great days. When no one was fanatical about Man Utd because they were sh*t.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 27, 2019 1:01 pm

And they are indeed sh*t again !!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon May 27, 2019 1:50 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:31 pm
Cheers for clarifying, Saint. Definitely couldn't remember the commentary.

Great days. When no one was fanatical about Man Utd because they were sh*t.
They were league runners up in the old first division the year before and won the FA Cup in '83 and '85, I wouldn't suggest that's the making of a poor team. Remember Bryan Robson saying years back when they could play like they could they were as good as Liverpool, people just assume they were garbage because no League Championships came to pass.

Incidentally, first game of the season August '89, who overcame Arsenal 4 - 1 ? Manchester United of all things. Have at it. (Also) Then owner Michael Knighton doing theatrics on the field before game time, quite a vivid recollection as it happens.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 27, 2019 3:13 pm

Aye but when the championships titles started being won, EPL's etc etc things dramatically changed. ....., and then after the Ole & Teddy show, that was it -----> everyone and their mutt had Utd shirts.

Not saying they're unique. When I was at school, everyone was like Hallam........ Wearing a Liverpool shirt! :lol: (joking dear!! :D )
Seriously, grade three in a Geelong, (Australia) Primary School, 1977, several classmates had Liverpool gym kits. :shock: Looking back, the Scouse bstds must've thought it was a great idea to emigrate as well.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:00 am

Villa grabbed it yesterday. Well done to them, back where they genuinely belong ..... AND ..... a few quid thrown Hibs way for the John McGinn promotion clause. Happy days. 👏👏👏👍

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue May 28, 2019 10:32 pm

Recall you saying once you couldn't abide teams in Maroon colors (being a similarity to Heart of Midlothian would be the most feasible logic), you know, West Ham et cetera. Sure you insisted before Aston Villa were in so many words, 'far from a favorite club side.'

Didn't know where else to put this but as since we're on the subject, took in a view of News Now just recent for Town related transfer activities, and as an aside top story they're running is a feature on some manic incident following the game involving sets of fans at a gas station coming back from London. In short, I'd be more than prepared to offer plaudits to the winning team, but the actual behavior if true, of some of the fanbase, is simply unwarranted. Just about done with this issue now.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/ ... la-2917285

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:08 pm

Correct Saint, no love lost for the Villians, but been keeping a keen eye on Super John McGinn. Been a HUGE part of the Hibs scene and was sorry to see him go.

But also correct, Fk the Hertz, fk the "ammers, Fk the Villa, Burnley, Northampton, scuuuuuuunthorpe........ :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 31, 2019 10:40 am

I guess I wasn’t too fussed who won the play off final although I may marginally have preferred Derby with two ex Town players Waghorn and Marriott both who I liked whilst they were at Portman Road and neither who should have been allowed to leave.
I like the way Derby took a risk with Lampard who I think will come good, however had he started with either or both of the ex Town boys I think Derby would have given a better account of themselves and may well have won the game, I think the other ex Town player Mings looked good for Villa, however I can’t say I like him as a player as much as I do Martin Waghorn and Jack Marriott, the later who reminds me so much of Kevin Phillips, and what a great striker he was.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Fri May 31, 2019 6:20 pm

Did Marriott leave during Keane's tenure? What a bloody mistake that was. The most natural goalscorer to come out of our Academy,probably ever I suspect.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 31, 2019 9:27 pm

I'd say he left during Mick McCarthys era, RR. The memory is saying that it was in the recent past.

Always seemed to be out on loan at Woking......, and banging goals in.

Not too sure about the "probably ever" part in your post. You think? Was Rhodes from the academy?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:53 am

Marriott was offloaded in 2015. Spend more time loaned out to other clubs than appearances here. Truth be told I can hardly recall him at Portman Road. McCarthy would have been manager, in the end he was deemed surplus to future plans at the club. Has made something of a name for himself with subsequent clubs and appearances.

Nowhere near our best academy proteges. You look back with names such as Wright, (Tommy) Miller, Dyer, possibly (Darren) Bent and Naylor. All broke through into the first team if correct. Fair enough they're not all attacking options but the caliber of names alone push Marriott out the picture to some extent.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:40 am

Marriott was the cause of us unloading him, coming back for pre season hideously overweight, out of condition and unfit. I seem to recall he struggled to keep up with the others during pre season and was punished.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:22 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:40 am
Marriott was the cause of us unloading him, coming back for pre season hideously overweight, out of condition and unfit. I seem to recall he struggled to keep up with the others during pre season and was punished.
Pity we couldn’t have punished with another loan and kept him on the books a bit longer. That’s all hindsight.... I guess he wasn’t acting like a pro footballer and his face didn’t fit with Mick. I guess a new club benefitted him and got him to get serious about football. It is a shame as he was undoubtedly a natural finisher. I guess you can’t keep on extending contracts when the player isn’t showing the right attitude and not showing any improvement.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:18 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:22 am
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:40 am
Pity we couldn’t have punished with another loan and kept him on the books a bit longer. That’s all hindsight.... I guess he wasn’t acting like a pro footballer and his face didn’t fit with Mick. I guess a new club benefitted him and got him to get serious about football. It is a shame as he was undoubtedly a natural finisher. I guess you can’t keep on extending contracts when the player isn’t showing the right attitude and not showing any improvement.
I think you're probably right. MM just didn't like him, so he banished Marriott rather than mentor the young lad. Of course, Marriott may have just wanted to get away from that egotistical b*stard.