NOW FOR PROMOTION

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: NOW FOR PROMOTION

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 20, 2019 11:22 am

Good, not bothered about any of them, good news.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon May 20, 2019 11:38 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:22 am
Shame we could not get Sears off the wage bill as well seeing he wont be available until xmas!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 20, 2019 12:27 pm

That could still happen though, I reckon a few may be sold/ transfer listed

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon May 20, 2019 12:35 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:38 am
Bluemike wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:22 am
Shame we could not get Sears off the wage bill as well seeing he wont be available until xmas!!
But if he's contracted to us and injured we cant get rid of him....

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 20, 2019 1:04 pm

Definately more to go. We’ve still a squad of 34. These were the easy ones to offload.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon May 20, 2019 6:53 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:04 pm
Definately more to go. We’ve still a squad of 34. These were the easy ones to offload.
Agree, i think Jordan Roberts and Janoi Donacian will be sold or loaned out for a season.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon May 20, 2019 10:10 pm

We have to offload more because the squad is too big and we have to bring players in. When you look at the current retained list we don't have a decent fullback on the books. That's 2 signings we need. No wonder we have shipped goals from crosses. We also need a decent striker or two. So we need to ship out several. We seem to have too many central midfielders but unfortunately you can only get rid of the contracted players if someone wants them. So it'll be the better players that go....

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue May 21, 2019 7:20 am

Andym wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:10 pm
We have to offload more because the squad is too big and we have to bring players in. When you look at the current retained list we don't have a decent fullback on the books. That's 2 signings we need. No wonder we have shipped goals from crosses. We also need a decent striker or two. So we need to ship out several. We seem to have too many central midfielders but unfortunately you can only get rid of the contracted players if someone wants them. So it'll be the better players that go....
There’s a few young players like Nydam, Cotter and Drinan who don’t seem near the team. They could be loaned out or made available. Add in Roberts and Donacien who don’t seem part of Lambert’s plans. If We bring in two strikers and if we’re going one up top, then maybe Jackson or Harrrison might be sold as one of them could be surplus.
I suppose the real sticking point is would Roberts, Donacien, Harrison, Jackson be prepared to leave for lower wages so that they could get more game time elsewhere? I don’t want the likes of Edwards or Bishop to be sold to make squad space or a bit of revenue and that could mean we get quick cash, but stay longer in League 1. I would have thought, within reason, Evans would do the sums and work out it could be a good time to invest a bit and give us the best opportunity to get promoted. From a financial point of view, the longer we stay in L1 we lose out on revenue.
I wouldn’t mind Dozzell going as he could bring in a few quid and he hasn’t really done anything yet for us so that we would miss him. Not sure he’s tough enough for L1 anyway.
I think still we’ll see more players going out than in. That should be a good thing as too many players doesn’t mean strength, but means we’re continually trying to find a decent team ie more quantity than quality.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 21, 2019 8:17 am

I reckon Bart, Roberts, Donacien, Drinan, Cotter, Rowe and Harrison are certs to go.

I also think question marks remain with the likes of Nydam, Dozzell and Sears.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue May 21, 2019 8:56 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:17 am
I reckon Bart, Roberts, Donacien, Drinan, Cotter, Rowe and Harrison are certs to go.

I also think question marks remain with the likes of Nydam, Dozzell and Sears.
Forget about Rowe. I think Lincoln will offer him something and I think he wants first team football.

I’ve no idea how we’re going to offload Freddie when he’s got a year left on his contract and another 6 months of rehab. And PL triggered his Year option... I think Freddie’s staying. I’d like to see Nydam go out on loan if PL doesn’t fancy him... bad year, but has potential.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Tue May 21, 2019 9:56 am

I'd be very sorry to see Harrison and Dozzell go. Harrison, I still believe has goals in him and hasn't ,as yet ,had much of a chance to show us that. He hasn't had a decent run of games but does have a good goal scoring record at previous clubs.
Dozzell, as far as I'm concerned, is the only player we have with true passing vision. He may or may not be tough enough for Lg 1 but we won't know until we see him play in it.

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue May 21, 2019 8:03 pm

Lambert rates Sears can't see him going anywhere. Currently still the best striker we have at the club in my opinion.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 21, 2019 9:24 pm

And there in a nutshell is why we are down

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue May 21, 2019 9:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:24 pm
And there in a nutshell is why we are down
Yep

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:11 am

Just read this first instalment of other ‘big’ clubs life when relegated to the third tier in the EADT. These are for clubs who’ve had to spend a bit of time in League One before getting promoted. I guess you could now add Charlton to the list.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... -1-6082386

I’m not dreading next season and, in fact, looking forward to next season, but we might have to be prepared for some time in League One. If offered now, id happily take a top six finish with the lottery of the play-off’s. I think Top Two automatic promotion will be beyond us next season. I don’t think it’s going to be easy to just shake of the ‘not winning’ mentality into a side who’s puts a winning run together.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:00 am

It seems to me the secret is all going to be about scoring goals.. Something we have done precious little of this season. Score goals and we will get promoted back... Simples????

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:32 am

Not only scoring goals, but creating enough chances and stopping leaking stupid goals. We have to improve in this areas, too.

Best case scenario is we hit the ground running and confidence builds. I’m optimistic, but I’m prepared for a sluggish start. I’m not sure some fans will tolerate that for very long, though.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:45 am

nicscreamer wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:00 am
It seems to me the secret is all going to be about scoring goals.. Something we have done precious little of this season. Score goals and we will get promoted back... Simples????
I said something similar a few weeks ago. Luton's success was based on that. Loads of shots per game and getting bodies in the box. We have to shake off the MM mindset of passing and holding back.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:00 pm

Andym wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:45 am
nicscreamer wrote:
I said something similar a few weeks ago. Luton's success was based on that. Loads of shots per game and getting bodies in the box. We have to shake off the MM mindset of passing and holding back.
TBH... looking at players who are still there from the MM era .. there’s only Skuse and Chambers. The passing back ... or sideways... might be necessary at times, but I’ve got so frustrated in the past with someone like Skuse not getting the ball forward quick enough. Or usually, slowing the ball down, turning backwards and passing back to Chambers to lump the ball forward. I can see Skuse starting the season as a regular, but I think he’ll come under pressure to keep his place. I’m hoping Downes can improve and challenge for that defensive midfield place. He’s got more energy than Skuse. Actually, Skuse has got some decent passing in him, but doesn’t do it enough. I guess it’s the mindset thing.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:31 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:00 pm
Andym wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:45 am
nicscreamer wrote:
TBH... looking at players who are still there from the MM era .. there’s only Skuse and Chambers. The passing back ... or sideways... might be necessary at times, but I’ve got so frustrated in the past with someone like Skuse not getting the ball forward quick enough. Or usually, slowing the ball down, turning backwards and passing back to Chambers to lump the ball forward. I can see Skuse starting the season as a regular, but I think he’ll come under pressure to keep his place. I’m hoping Downes can improve and challenge for that defensive midfield place. He’s got more energy than Skuse. Actually, Skuse has got some decent passing in him, but doesn’t do it enough. I guess it’s the mindset thing.
I don't think the passing is the real issue. It's holding back. Passing the ball and standing still instead of pushing forward for the return pass. It's getting in the box so there is someone there to pass to. Its making sure if a cross comes in there are 3, 4 or 5 to aim at rather than a maximum of 1.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:35 pm

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:23 am

Its official, the BBC sport have put us in League 1. :(

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:28 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:23 am
Its official, the BBC sport have put us in League 1. :(
Fake News!!!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:16 am

Once we have got the Norwood sighing sorted we need to to be looking to sign a couple of Central defenders. I would hate the fact of starting the season with just Wolfenden, Toto and chambers.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:55 am

I would love Tranmere away to be our first fixture. Close to me in Chester and the Norwood connection. Anybody else got a preference?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:34 am

Not really, but if there is any club that for that first game is a pushover..... then I’d take that. One game shouldn’t dictate the season, but I really think we need a good start. I’d like to see the fans behind us right from the start.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:13 am

Fixtures list for 2019/20.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... es-2019-20

Burton first game away.... Sunderland first home game.... Peterborough next away game. I was hoping for an easier start so I’d say that’s not the case. It is what it is..... and at least the first home game will be buzzing.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:22 am

Im happy we have an away game first (im on holiday), but Sunderland will be a toughie and will show us where we stand in the league.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:29 am

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:22 pm

f*ck me I’m worried, I had no idea we’d let so many players leave without adequate replacements lined up.

I must stop enjoying myself following Bluemike across Europe.