James Norwood - all you need to know about our new striker

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

James Norwood - all you need to know about our new striker

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:03 pm

number 9

Re: James Norwood - all you need to know about our new striker

Post by number 9 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:01 pm

I hope he scores goals for us. Does anyone know how we found him? Was it Lambert? Scouts??

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:35 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:01 pm
I hope he scores goals for us. Does anyone know how we found him? Was it Lambert? Scouts??
Don’t know, but he’s top scorer in the top four divisions along with Sergio Agüero... so he’s not top level, but that fact has to up his profile. The fact he’s out of contract must have been a big factor in us looking at him. We must have put scouts on him and it sounds as if he fits in with how Lambert wants to play.

I like the relationship between him and Tranmere. They respect him for not just the goals, but his all-round game and attitude and he obviously ran his heart out for Tranmere and is very respectful of them. The well wishes from both sides seems genuine and you don’t often see that. We’ll see how he gets on at a higher level, but he seems a genuine character who wants to push on and he’s a goal-scorer with a lot of graft.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:45 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:35 pm
number 9 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:01 pm
Don’t know, but he’s top scorer in the top four divisions along with Sergio Agüero... so he’s not top level, but that fact has to up his profile. The fact he’s out of contract must have been a big factor in us looking at him. We must have put scouts on him and it sounds as if he fits in with how Lambert wants to play.

I like the relationship between him and Tranmere. They respect him for not just the goals, but his all-round game and attitude and he obviously ran his heart out for Tranmere and is very respectful of them. The well wishes from both sides seems genuine and you don’t often see that. We’ll see how he gets on at a higher level, but he seems a genuine character who wants to push on and he’s a goal-scorer with a lot of graft.
Well he's no Tamas Priskin, but I'm very excited about Norwood! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:14 pm

9: "I wouldn't rate Priskin."
69: "Nor-Wood I."

Oh fk, I'll get ma coat........, but seriously though......., shitskin & Norwood in the same sentence, 9?? What ye doin' maaaaan?! JINXED!

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:11 pm

Welcome James.
I predict a minimum of 20 league goals for us next season...he's hungry to succeed so maybe there will be even more!!
Seriously,I'm very very pleased with this bit of business. He seems to be a smashing character and hopefully it'll rub off on the rest of the team.
Very optimistic that he'll be playing in the Championship next season.....with us.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:55 pm

HE LOST HIS KEYS
HE LOST HIS KEYS
HE FOUND THE NET
NORWOOD, NORWOOD, NORWOOD

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:35 pm

It's not just his goals, his all round game is very good , his runs off the ball creating space for others, it was evident in the play offs how he pulled defenders out of position, his awareness around the box, good first touch and non stop work rate are all good attributes, in our position to get the countries highest scorer for free is a reap coup and should be applauded, especially when a few championship clubs made offers !!!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:42 pm

Have we brought in Gerd Muller or something. Reading from some of the above link maybe one or two getting carried away or giving plaudits beyond boundaries of reason. No offense to the kid but seems a bit over-hyped this issue. Say again can't fully understand why Tranmere would sell to a rival now in League One, surely if he's that lauded it'd make sense for them to retain the player.

This should make way for one or two departures in our attacking options. Sears should stay but you got others like Harrison, Jackson, Lankester et cetera that could prove surplus for a new season. Not sure how long certain contracts run for but above all else it were only in recent time the team were dependant on one forward alone to get goals and now we got more options than ever before.

But it's about the effectiveness of those names and what they can contribute that remains. Going to be tough, very tough, to get back to the Championship League next season. Some of the names involved may have to work their asses off to deliver that opportunity.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:51 am

saint jude wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:42 pm
Have we brought in Gerd Muller or something. Reading from some of the above link maybe one or two getting carried away or giving plaudits beyond boundaries of reason. No offense to the kid but seems a bit over-hyped this issue. Say again can't fully understand why Tranmere would sell to a rival now in League One, surely if he's that lauded it'd make sense for them to retain the player.

This should make way for one or two departures in our attacking options. Sears should stay but you got others like Harrison, Jackson, Lankester et cetera that could prove surplus for a new season. Not sure how long certain contracts run for but above all else it were only in recent time the team were dependant on one forward alone to get goals and now we got more options than ever before.

But it's about the effectiveness of those names and what they can contribute that remains. Going to be tough, very tough, to get back to the Championship League next season. Some of the names involved may have to work their asses off to deliver that opportunity.
Thing is Tranmere Rovers did not sell, His contract expires so making him a free agent and at 28 going on 29 years old not sure can describe him as a kid being honest.

Sears will be out most of the season and was never prolific in scoring. Lankester will need time for you could call him a kid. Last season we had nobody who could put the ball in back of the net. Never been a fan of just one striker for risks of injuries for one. We relied heavily on Murphy when last getting into the playoffs.Would love us to get another proven goal scorer

Maybe i'm reading your post all wrongly or maybe i totally am mistaken but not seeing your point. To win games you need to score, end of story and going by Norwood's track record he is a goalscorer. Lets see if he can do it in League 1 but going by what seen and heard looks likely he can

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:35 am

I think you need to learn how it works SJ.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:53 am

SJ, surely you must have heard of a Bosman free transfer ?It’s been over twenty years now since the ruling.

I’m conscious that any move could go tits up and be unsuccessful, but I think it’s a good signing to get a little bit excited about. Apart from the fact he’s a natural goal-scorer, he’s seems a strong character and a smart footballer.

This nearly makes up for the 10 million or so we lost out on Knudsen walking away on a free.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:33 am

Has Knudsen actually walked away yet? I didn't see any mention of him having found a new club. Maybe he'll be looking for a pay n play contract soon :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:36 am

A pay and play sh*te contract?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:54 am

I bet he’s a bit pissed off Mick got the Irish job, because I could see Knudsen linking up with Mick again if he’d got another Championship job. Been rumours that Middlesborough are looking at Knudsen and maybe abroad in Denmark/Germany.

I’m sure he would have left last summer for a fee, but there were other unexpected departures ( Waghorn, Webster, Garner) and I think we couldn’t afford to let another senior pro leave. Not that it did us much good.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:15 pm

He was a bloody liability when he did play for us though tang! Knudsen once he settled into the English game, I thought would go on to be a good solid defender. But he seemed to level out and was ( for me), always getting caught up field, and his constant jog back recovery used to infuriate me. Chambers was often left covering for him ( and getting flack from fans if he failed to cover sufficiently).

It’s a bit weird really because both Knudsen and Bart got International al call ups, yet Id say neither were stunningly good
“ internationals”...yet it seemed to inflate both players ego’s to the point they thought they could hold the Club to ransom. Knudsen more so.

Tbh I don’t think we will miss Knudsen, and I’m actually quite keen to see the back of Bart too. The latter’s basic game , leaving a lot to be desired.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:57 pm

Agree with that word for word

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Totally agree on everything said there also.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:32 am

Can’t say I agree with everything... but I can’t say I want to keep both Bart and Knudsen.

I know Bart’s weaknesses have been highlighted last season, but you don’t win Player of the Season three times in a row for nothing. Not sure if he was arrogant... he just under-performed badly when we needed him most. Time for him to move on.. bring in hopefully a few quid and get him of the wage bill. I think Bart’s been a decent servant to the club over the last few years and never has said a bad word about us. I wish him well.

As for Knudsen, I’ve never taken to him as a player. He could be a reasonable defender, but I thought he never hardly offered anything going forward (except Norwich) and his passing was woeful. Very pleased Lambert took a stand not to use him in the latter part of the season. We would have still got relegated anyway. I’m sure he thought plenty of clubs would be in for him in January.... think again, Jonas.

I Don’t think both Bart or Knudsen have held us to ransom. We should never have let contracts get to that stage. You could say Norwood held Tranmere to ransom, but I don’t think that’s the case. Tranmere got their money’s worth with Norwood.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:16 pm

Bart winning player of the season 3 years running was a total joke and indicative of the mentality of many Town fans im afraid, they love a favourite and look no further than that. First season yes, he deserved it, after that it should hsve been Tom Lawrence and Waggy last season. Barts awards are no more worthy than Chambo's was this season and we all know how many fans view that.

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:47 pm

Let’s hope Norwood is player of the year next season as it would likely to have been a successful season

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:46 am

If Bart is still here , Norwood could play like Messi, and still not get the POTY !!

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:16 am

Let’s hope Norwood has the same impact as this lot.

https://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-tow ... -1-6105933.

I skipped the para on Holt :D