Woman’s World Cup

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Woman’s World Cup

Post by marko69 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:15 pm

Ando wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:55 pm
marko69 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:13 am
I didn't see the France game because Scotland 1 England 2 and Scotland 1 Japan 2, so feck off Women's World Cup.
What’s wrong Marko? Best set of results for Scotland in a World Cup since Archie played :D
And then VAR came along and ruined it. Said it before on this forum on some thread somewhere about VAR being a complete joke...... and so it’s proved yet again. And this is only a handful of games at a World Cup.

The Archie days are indeed missed.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:36 pm

The Scottish GK coming off her line ..... or not, would have made no difference to that first penalty shot . The Argie bloody MISSED , because she shot straight at the keeper . Absolute bollox decision - again.

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:57 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:15 pm
Ando wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:55 pm
marko69 wrote:
I didn't see the France game because Scotland 1 England 2 and Scotland 1 Japan 2, so feck off Women's World Cup.
What’s wrong Marko? Best set of results for Scotland in a World Cup since Archie played :D
And then VAR came along and ruined it. Said it before on this forum on some thread somewhere about VAR being a complete joke...... and so it’s proved yet again. And this is only a handful of games at a World Cup.

The Archie days are indeed missed.
I’m not a lover of VAR, we appear to be going from looking at clear and obvious black & white decisions to just about anything, clear and obvious should be judged against what the naked eye sees. I refer to the Lingard goal against the Dutch . The purpose of VAR was to stop these types of debates and get more decisions correct, however all it seems to be doing is ripping the soul out of the game

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:05 pm

No, the saved pen was slightly down to her right, Hallam. Was actually a decent (and legal) save. The retake was straight but poor Lee Alexander was too worried about the positioning of her feet to focus on the actual penalty kick.

But they’re opening an even bigger can of worms with the “goalkeeper at penalties” thing. Every keeper takes a step forward. You watch the inconsistency next season.

And, It’ll anger fans. Dodgy, crucial VAR decision ——> jovial supporters leaving stadiums, met with irate supporters due to incompetent new rulings. That anger will be out there on the streets if they’re not careful. It’s like they’re trying to recreate 70s hooliganism. What happened tonight in that last few minutes of Scotland’s World Cup campaign; (can’t speak for the Old Farm) but if that’d been Easter Road or Shitecastle, would’ve been a feckin riot.

Should’ve listened to my own advice and NOT tuned in after the Japan game.

Having said that, ......, up to 3-0, they were absolutely fantastic. 👏👏👏

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:16 am

marko69 wrote:
Totally agree. Women playing or talking about football should be made illegal. They have not got a clue. You would not see us lads talking about Netball or Knitting. How can you take it seriously when they don't understand the offside rule.If we had not of put TV's in the kitchen they would never of known the game exists.Some of the crap they talk about football is unbelievable and it is getting worse.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:28 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:16 am
marko69 wrote:
Totally agree. Women playing or talking about football should be made illegal. They have not got a clue. You would not see us lads talking about Netball or Knitting. How can you take it seriously when they don't understand the offside rule.If we had not of put TV's in the kitchen they would never of known the game exists.Some of the crap they talk about football is unbelievable and it is getting worse.
Sitting here pretending to have both hands on a wooden spoon and doing a “stirring the pot” motion! You crack me up, Deeko Boy! 😂

Deek says: “What you doin’ stirring pots? That’s a woman’s job!”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:33 am

Said it all along, this VAR is total bollocks, crap, and will, no is, ruining the game, we are slowly turning it into a mockery.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:23 am

Totally agree! The penalty retakes are a travesty!!!! It needs to be, and I am sure it will be, changed after these initial teething problems. If not, the game is f*cked

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:23 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
marko69 wrote:
Lol, can’t wait to meet you Derek. It will be interesting !

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:03 pm

This VAR is a sick joke. Defenders have to run around with their hands behind their backs, GK have to stay inside the net...complete trash. Nothing like rewarding a shot that completely misses the net by giving a redo after VAR shows she is six inches off the line.

And marko, Scotland needs to come up with a VAR bribe after these two rulings

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:20 pm

Watching this Norway v Oz game....... few of the women spitting? Oh dear. Not a good look at all.

Oi...... no swallowing jokes, Deeko Boy!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:58 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:20 pm
Watching this Norway v Oz game....... few of the women spitting? Oh dear. Not a good look at all.

Oi...... no swallowing jokes, Deeko Boy!
Dam. :lol:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:04 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:23 am
derick_ipsw wrote:
marko69 wrote:
Lol, can’t wait to meet you Derek. It will be interesting !
Unless you invite me to one of your Tupperware parties that ain't gonna happen. :roll:

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:33 pm

VAR strikes again during England game. Something has to change, not so much for the players but for the fans.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:41 pm

Something will change alright. Enough people will have had enough of it and they'll have no alternative but to abolish the goddamn thing. Last years World Cup suffered as a result of it, it's up to whoever implemented the horseshit idea to begin with to realize it's causing adverse effect for the most part and accept it was a short venture, but ultimately a failed one.

Said before competition as a whole from a personal level is going by largely unnoticed. They're into the elimination phases about now if correct and in truth don't know who's participating and who's gone by the wayside. I'd take it as a given that the United States are still involved but there's a certain degree of apathy towards the whole endeavor. No offense to women's sport but this can't compete with the usual men's tournaments every two and four years.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:42 am

I'm not understanding some of the posts. Why is it just can't see Women's football as just that?

They are NOT competing with the men's game, they are just playing football, and why shouldn't they?

Quite easy, don't like it, don't watch it, some of the remarks have to be honest are close to sexist to me. Men play Hockey, wasn't that a women's sport originally?

On the whole the skill level of the women's game has improved no end but it is VAR that's spoiling it but also have to say this, the referees are not up to standard to which the game deserves. Even though the playing side has improved the refereeing side has not, quite appalling actually. The referees are turning more and more to VAR as get out clause, just passing the buck on really quite forward decisions.

Yesterdays game between England and and snivelling Cameroons though all decisions made by VAR was correct but like said before in an earlier post, its now Black and White no middle ground, for off sides the doubt was meant to favour the forwards, now they draw lines across the screen and its either on or off. No matter on the old clear daylight between defenders and attackers. The only doubts now of whether interfering or not if in an off side position

Like it or not women in football is here, been here for lot of years and its here to stay, will only grow more and more and i for one totally pleased they are. Look at the percentage of women spectators, i believe Ipswich is one of the higher percentages for women watching. No longer can just call out its a man's game, for now like it or not there's a man's game and women's game.. Deal with it

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:53 am

I'm interpreting it all as tongue in cheek humour, S&J........ TVs in kitchens and Tupperware parties, (yes both Derick) but he's kidding around.

Not a fan of any human being spitting, but the women need to stop copying the men with that behaviour. Next thing they'll be pushing in one nostril and blowing the mucus out the other. Not good.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:04 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:53 am
I'm interpreting it all as tongue in cheek humour, S&J........ TVs in kitchens and Tupperware parties, (yes both Derick) but he's kidding around.

Not a fan of any human being spitting, but the women need to stop copying the men with that behaviour. Next thing they'll be pushing in one nostril and blowing the mucus out the other. Not good.
Seen them do that in Tennis and squeal and grunt every time they hit the ball.

These are women playing though Marko, the ladies were left behind in the hotels, don't see gentlemen on the football pitches either. Yes agree its not nice, but its not right to see guys spit either, disgusting, get caught send them off whether men or women

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:19 pm

I loved watching yesterdays match.... Cameroon were bloody disgraceful, but it made it a must see match! The skill was good too, although I think they had been watching the Men's team defend far too much... Shambolic at times.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:22 pm

marko69 wrote:

All we need now is women to get a sense of humor and the world is f*cked. :D

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:28 pm

I agree with S&J, whether it is women or men playing, the VAR is a complete joke. In every sport, human error on the part of refs come in. There are missed calls, missed penalties, etc. That just adds to the drama of the games. I know you dont watch much baseball over there, but the umpire behind the plate is notorious for calling balls and strikes differently as the game goes along, or this one is known for calling a strike that is not over the plate if it is on the opposite side of the batter. You just have to adapt and move along. Going to VAR after every kick is destroying the flow of soccer and is tedious as they measure each call.

S&J also brought up how the refs are getting worse as they rely on VAR. This happened over the years in the NFL when they brought in instant replay, the refs stopped making calls and waiting for replay out of fear of being proved wrong. Lets all just agree refs sometimes get it wrong, deal with it as part of the game, and blow replays to hell and back.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:04 pm

Possibly no coincidence that the best ref at the event (that I have seen so far)is the one who referees in The Bundesliga - Bibiana Steinhaus.

A couple of years experience with VAR and lo and behold she didn't feel the need to be using it all the time. Plus of course she has to deal with those pesky men and their nefarious ways week in, week out so taking charge of the women must be a blessed relief.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:18 am

5 men and 1 woman behind the bar last night over here in sunny Majorca and she left them all standing with the serving etc, fit as f*ck too..... just saying lol.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:42 am

marko69 wrote:

You obviously didn’t see a Cameroon player do just that ( second half) !!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:55 pm

You must be joking? Really? Not good.

Deeko Boy says: “I know. She could’ve at least brought one of her Tupperware containers to catch that!” 😂

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:02 pm

Impressive game this evening.

Edge of the seat stuff with some excellent play. Japan running the Dutch ragged at times.

How the Dutch got away with that I will never know, but a happy household here with our second team getting through. Sure the Dutch side of the family were a little tense during the 2nd half!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:03 am

7 Euro nations and the USA remain? It’s turned into a Ryder Cup type affair. Can’t have the USA win this thing again. One of you Euros got to do it.

Yes, even you, Engerland!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:06 pm

Wouldn't care too much if the English did it. It's not like the men's version where all publishing and media cream themselves to a f**king frenzy the longer it goes on. Had to view progress to ascertain state of play and they got a last eight with Norway- I'd assume they're favorites to continue.

US face France which will be tough but they're the home nation and a partizan crowd will go a long way. Choice of venues seems strange. Of all games played since the group stages only two have featured in Paris, while none in Marseille. Guess it's to do with fitness levels and fair play so smaller stadia will fit in with stamina and suit the participants better.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:09 pm

So, I am confused. The call against Japan with the handball seemed really harsh to me. The arm was not in an unnatural position, the ball was kicked from about five feet from her, and she was moving the arm behind the back when it hit. Why didn't that go to VAR?

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:37 pm

Ohiotractorboy wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:09 pm
So, I am confused. The call against Japan with the handball seemed really harsh to me. The arm was not in an unnatural position, the ball was kicked from about five feet from her, and she was moving the arm behind the back when it hit. Why didn't that go to VAR?
It did.

They agreed with the Ref so no need for the long trot to the TV screen - you could see her talking to them and it was easy to see her saying "Its a penalty then"

It was harsh, but correct according to the latest interpritation of the laws. It's those that are the issue giving no leaway!! Surely there still has to be intent.