Transfer Rumours Thread 2019/20 Season

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Andym

Re: Transfer Rumours Thread 2019/20 Season

Post by Andym » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:31 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:13 pm
I would imagine Harrison leaving is because we have someone lined up. I’d hope so as selling to a League 1 rival could bite us on the bum, so hoping it’s an upgrade. With only 2 fit strikers at the club we could do with 2 more strikers.
My memory has faded with old age, I can't think who the 2 fit strikers are. I'm sure someone will enlighten me.

I am very surprised we are selling a striker when we have so few. There is never a guarantee that we will secure the signing of anyone else, however "lined up" they are.

On the other hand, we do need to reduce the size of the squad, and having got rid of those out of contract, you can only move on those players that someone else wants.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:09 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:31 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:13 pm
I would imagine Harrison leaving is because we have someone lined up. I’d hope so as selling to a League 1 rival could bite us on the bum, so hoping it’s an upgrade. With only 2 fit strikers at the club we could do with 2 more strikers.
My memory has faded with old age, I can't think who the 2 fit strikers are. I'm sure someone will enlighten me.

I am very surprised we are selling a striker when we have so few. There is never a guarantee that we will secure the signing of anyone else, however "lined up" they are.

On the other hand, we do need to reduce the size of the squad, and having got rid of those out of contract, you can only move on those players that someone else wants.
Norwood and Jackson. Sears is the other senior ‘striker’ who’s long-term injured and we’ve got a couple of kids long-term injured( can’t remember names at moment).

TBH... there’s not any substance to who we might bring in, but I can’t believe we’d sell a striker ( a proven League 1 striker) at a loss without having someone in mind. I have a feeling Lambert’s targetting Conor Washington and I wouldn’t be surprised if we take a chance on Will Keane with all his injuries.

No, you’re right there’s no guarantee we’ll get THAT striker we want, but I’ve been quietly impressed that we did the business with Judge and Norwood pretty efficiently.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:01 pm

Folami and Morris are the two you are thinking of ⚽

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:47 pm

I suspect we will offer Will Keane a deal now we have players off the wage bill .

Could he link up with Norwood successfully ?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:52 pm

Ando wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:40 am
I never really pay attention to level of transfer fees that are banded around. They are what they are. What does appear to be happening is players are sold cheaper now a days but with a larger sell on clause. I would imagine that’s what may have happened with Harrison.

I think Evans approach has always been to offload an unwanted 0layer ASAP, because the players wages usually always outweigh the player’s price tag. I get the feeling we are clearing the decks ( wages wise), to allow incoming player(S)....you’d hope so anyway ! :lol:

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:06 pm

Will Keane could be a good league player, if and that’s a big IF he can keep fit. I’m afraid to say I don’t think that’s possible. But what do I know?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:43 pm

I’m like you - very nervous about signing another injury prone player , and he’s definitely that!

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:46 pm

With a reduced squad size, we can't afford to entertain injury prone players.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:00 am

I would be very concerned if we brought in Keane as we should have learnt harsh lessons by now through our injury history, but I wouldn’t be surprised that clubs steer clear of Keane (from his injury record) and we pick him up on a short-term deal. Gives him a chance to prove his fitness and cover the period when Sears and others are recovering.

I would still expect us to bring in another striker as a genuine replacement for Harrison. It’s asking a lot to expect Norwood to hit the ground running (and stay fit) and get us all our goals... it’s too much of ‘putting all our eggs in one basket’ and I can’t see too many goals from the midfield.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:11 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:00 am
.. it’s too much of ‘putting all our eggs in one basket’ and I can’t see too many goals from the midfield.
That is part of our problem. For all our midfielders, and we seem to have loads, they provide no goal threat. They rarely get in the box in support. And I'm afraid any striker who struggle without support. I know some people think we need to play 2 up front but I don't think it matters whether we play 1 or 2; they just need more support and better service.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:19 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:11 pm
For all our midfielders, and we seem to have loads, they provide no goal threat
Not even Judge? It's been years since we've had a creative midfielder who could score on a regular basis. Can anyone name the last?

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:35 pm

I think Judge will, but he hasn't yet. He's often too content to shoot from 30 yards. Successful teams get bodies on the area but we regularly fail to.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:53 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:19 pm
Andym wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:11 pm
For all our midfielders, and we seem to have loads, they provide no goal threat
Not even Judge? It's been years since we've had a creative midfielder who could score on a regular basis. Can anyone name the last?
Judge hasn’t scored for us yet. Would Tommy Miller be the last midfielder who scored regularly?

Maybe Nolan could weigh in with some goals.... he scored a few at Shrewsbury. I’d like to see Judge play behind the striker instead of out wide and he should be scoring. Bishop should also offer more of a goal threat

TBH... under Mick the midfield wasn’t set up to score or even create, just disrupt play and leave it up to the forwards or get a goal from a set-piece.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:03 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:53 pm

TBH... under Mick the midfield wasn’t set up to score or even create, just disrupt play and leave it up to the forwards or get a goal from a set-piece.
I was going to say this in my post. It's worrying that with a significant change in personnel and 2 managers down the line, there's little evidence of change.

At risk of repeating myself, we will get out of league 1 when we realise that at that level, attack is more important than defence. In a nutshell that means having a midfield that prioritises going forward over holding back. I didn't see that happen last season very much which is why I I don't think we will challenge for the playoffs in the coming season. Hopefully I'm talking sh*te as usual. 😂😂😂

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:38 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:03 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:53 pm

I was going to say this in my post. It's worrying that with a significant change in personnel and 2 managers down the line, there's little evidence of change.

At risk of repeating myself, we will get out of league 1 when we realise that at that level, attack is more important than defence. In a nutshell that means having a midfield that prioritises going forward over holding back. I didn't see that happen last season very much which is why I I don't think we will challenge for the playoffs in the coming season. Hopefully I'm talking sh*te as usual. 😂😂😂
Based on last year’s efforts, I can’t see many goals coming from midfield. The big factor, for me, is the slate has been wiped clean and we’re starting at a lower level without the burden of relegation ( yet). The League 1 players we bought and the youngsters have had a shitty year with relegation weighing us down. It’s time they stood up. Someone like Bishop should not be considered a youngster anymore and start controlling games. Same with Downes and Dozzell. And Edwards and Nolan should be at home at League 1 so they need to be important players.
Dunno.... I’m optimistic, but we need at least a couple more decent players.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:39 pm

Tommy Miller would walk into all Ipswich teams apart from 79- 83 imo. One of the most unsung hero’s to play for the club.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:53 pm

Miller was a good player and rose to the fore on occasion but not prepared to offer plaudits that seem unwarranted. People will differ but thought say Mason, Clapham, Jermaine Wright (for example) were of similar caliber but it's all about one fans perception.

On to present day you look at presumed starting positions from August and no one name stands out. Perhaps that's to be expected for a team in the third league of 'football' but you'd pick out names like Judge, Huws, perhaps Bishop, Nolan and Edwards to be more prominent than others in midfield. Once again in defense I don't possess the foresight as some others regards team action but get to learn of every game, score and performance nonetheless for the most part.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:24 am

Andym wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:35 pm
I think Judge will, but he hasn't yet. He's often too content to shoot from 30 yards. Successful teams get bodies on the area but we regularly fail to.
I think the midfielder to get into the box this season will be Nolan .

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:47 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:24 am
Andym wrote:
Well I’m hoping there’s going to be more than one midfielder :D

I know there’s tactics and formations and we have to keep some kind of shape, but I think the point Andy’s driving at is at times the midfielders need to burst their lungs to get into the box. Not have the odd one just allowed to add a body. If need be, take a risk and flood the box.

If we get caught out, weve got Skuse in the advanced sweeper role and if he’s still up to it he’d have to snuff out any counter-attack.
I suppose in the past we haven’t had that many creative, attacking players, but we also haven’t taken the risk to add numbers to the attack.

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:29 pm

I think Nolan will be very influential this coming season, he really started to look the part second half of last season. Keeping all our midfielders in the frame will be interesting.

Can’t see us buying another central midfielder unless PL starts using Skuse as a centre back.

Agree Tang last season we did not get enough players running past the ball and getting into the box. Huws does it well but I have a feeling we won’t see him in the first team again.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:13 pm

Yes, hopefully Nolan is “In The Mood, For Playing.” Probably need to be a certain age to understand that. And to have watched dodgy 70s Saturday night TV.

Did he not win player of the year at Shrewsbury during that Play-Off final season? Maybe he can recreate that form?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:20 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:24 am
Andym wrote:
Deffo this, was showing good signs of it prior to his injury.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:39 am

Ando wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:29 pm
I think Nolan will be very influential this coming season, he really started to look the part second half of last season. Keeping all our midfielders in the frame will be interesting.

Can’t see us buying another central midfielder unless PL starts using Skuse as a centre back.

Agree Tang last season we did not get enough players running past the ball and getting into the box. Huws does it well but I have a feeling we won’t see him in the first team again.
For all the midfielders we’ve got... I still think we need a hard as nails enforcer type CM. I think our midfielders could get bullied. Skuse may be a very good interceptor and reads the game well, but he doesn’t bully other midfielders and breaks tackles. The closest we may have is Downes, but he’s still learning the game and I don’t think he’s ready yet to impose himself in games.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:42 pm

Looks like the Bart transfer is off due to failed medical.
Apparently he has a knee problem.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:56 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:42 pm
Apparently he has a knee problem.
Shyte dead ball kick outs explained?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:07 pm

Sounds like Millwall made a meal of a minor knee problem to get Bart cheaper. I think it’s us that pulled the plug.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:29 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:07 pm
Sounds like Millwall made a meal of a minor knee problem to get Bart cheaper. I think it’s us that pulled the plug.
https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/ips ... -1-6124737

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:37 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:29 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:07 pm
https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/ips ... -1-6124737
That is a shame we could of done with getting rid. Chambers will have to send his newly ordered goalie gloves back. That tw*t will do anything so he gets a game. (except play well of course) :shock:

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:41 pm

I think £900,000 for Bart is not enough and they want him for less, when has he missed games because of injury in the last four season's?, I'm happy for him to stay as long as it doesn't effect us bringing other players in.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:24 pm

The problem for us now is even if another club do show an interest in Bart they are bound to come in with a low offer whether Millwall were trying it on or not.
Think this is a real blow for us as the fee might not have been as much as we would have hoped for but the savings in wages would have been substantial. Could have a impact on future signings as well.