Transfer Rumours Thread 2019/20 Season

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Transfer Rumours Thread 2019/20 Season

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:45 am

I still don't get a lot of the negativity towards Chambers, we all know he ain't the best defender in the world but christ you would think he was the worst, it is no coincidence that the couple of times he had a proper player alongside him (Collins) there wasn't an issue, at the start if the season he was often covering the vast spaces left by that prat Knudsen who some seem to rate, we also had Kenlock learning his trade and at times struggling, there was no one single thing that was the issue, it was a culmination of things of which Chambers was a small part, a woeful keeper was a major factor !!

I think with Toto becoming a regular and Woolfy breaking through we need another good solid CB and a RB with cover for both Fullback positions. If people really think Chambers is going to be phased out anytime soon you are going to be very disappointed.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:46 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:45 am
I still don't get a lot of the negativity towards Chambers, we all know he ain't the best defender in the world but christ you would think he was the worst, it is no coincidence that the couple of times he had a proper player alongside him (Collins) there wasn't an issue, at the start if the season he was often covering the vast spaces left by that prat Knudsen who some seem to rate, we also had Kenlock learning his trade and at times struggling, there was no one single thing that was the issue, it was a culmination of things of which Chambers was a small part, a woeful keeper was a major factor !!

I think with Toto becoming a regular and Woolfy breaking through we need another good solid CB and a RB with cover for both Fullback positions. If people really think Chambers is going to be phased out anytime soon you are going to be very disappointed.
I’ve always felt there’s feelings towards certain players going back years when they’re either Micks favourites or Mick’s not so favourites. Even though Mick’s gone, it’s still there. Even so, I think Chambo should be allowed to focus on his own game rather than take too much responsibility. He shouldn’t be in the side just because he’s captain. He was really looking ragged and making more mistake towards the end of the season. I truly believe he’ll be pencilled in to start games, but it depends how he plays and if Woolfy is as good as some make out. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Woolfy break in to team at RB as I don’t think Lambert rates Donacien and Emmanuel.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:29 am

Lambert has some interesting decisions to make that's for sure.

From my point of view what will be crucial to getting off to a good start will be having leaders on the pitch. Those leaders are going to have to come from the existing playing staff, at least to start with. This makes Chambers indispensable for me unless he has a serious wobble. Anyway given that he was an adequate defender (at least) for the Championship I don't see why he wouldn't be more than adequate for League 1 and provide much needed leadership at the bank.

The question for me is 'who will be the other leaders on the pitch?' Skuse is a senior player in MF but is he a leader on the pitch? Will Judge become a leader? Maybe we are short of a midfield general in the Magilton mould, we have many talented youngsters but we need experienced leadership there.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:02 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:29 am

From my point of view what will be crucial to getting off to a good start will be having leaders on the pitch. Those leaders are going to have to come from the existing playing staff, at least to start with. This makes Chambers indispensable for me unless he has a serious wobble. Anyway given that he was an adequate defender (at least) for the Championship I don't see why he wouldn't be more than adequate for League 1 and provide much needed leadership at the bank.

The question for me is 'who will be the other leaders on the pitch?' Skuse is a senior player in MF but is he a leader on the pitch? Will Judge become a leader? Maybe we are short of a midfield general in the Magilton mould, we have many talented youngsters but we need experienced leadership there.
Has Chambers got another job as well as Club Captain and landlord?!!! Definately taking on too much.

Maybe you misread Derrick when he called Chambo a *anker.

Agree that we could do with more true leaders.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:20 pm

Any forum members going to Germany for pre season? The site has been so quiet lately, it would be nice to read some reports.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:30 pm

Major has signed for Plymouth

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/danny-mayo ... -1-6135939

A distinct lack of ambition IMO
Stay with a Boss he knows, at the level he's comfortable at

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:09 pm

K L Blue wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:30 pm

Could not agree more. He’s apparently been one of League 2 best player’s for quite some time and you would have thought he would have looked at us as a step up with ambitions to get to the Championship. Good luck to the lad if he looks at things differently to most footballers and not go for the money/status aspect... but we need hungry, ambitious players here.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:11 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:20 pm
Any forum members going to Germany for pre season? The site has been so quiet lately, it would be nice to read some reports.
I’m going to the mini tournament in Meppen. Going on Saturday week to breathe in some German culture and beer and then watch the footy on the Sunday.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:38 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:02 am
Dubai Blue wrote:

Has Chambers got another job as well as Club Captain and landlord?!!! Definately taking on too much.

Maybe you misread Derrick when he called Chambo a *anker.

Agree that we could do with more true leaders.
Tang he is definitely a wanker not banker I hope that helps. :shock:

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:48 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:09 pm
K L Blue wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:30 pm

Could not agree more. He’s apparently been one of League 2 best player’s for quite some time and you would have thought he would have looked at us as a step up with ambitions to get to the Championship. Good luck to the lad if he looks at things differently to most footballers and not go for the money/status aspect... but we need hungry, ambitious players here.
He is too one footed, would be found out at a higher level. No great loss in my opinion.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:37 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:11 pm
number 9 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:20 pm
I’m going to the mini tournament in Meppen. Going on Saturday week to breathe in some German culture and beer and then watch the footy on the Sunday.
Awesome wish I could be there too! If you feel like it, I’m sure we’d all love to read a report on the matches?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:19 am

Dubai Blue wrote:

Chambers is banned for the first game thank f*ck so hopefully the team starts with a clean sheet and he does not get his place back. He is not the answer we need another centre back. Hopefully Toto and Woolfenden become a solid partnership. :wink:

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:36 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:19 am
Dubai Blue wrote:

Chambers is banned for the first game thank f*ck so hopefully the team starts with a clean sheet and he does not get his place back. He is not the answer we need another centre back. Hopefully Toto and Woolfenden become a solid partnership. :wink:
One for you mate, looks like you will get your wish but looks like he will play upfront :D

https://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-tow ... -1-6137219

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:58 pm

Ando wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:36 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:19 am
Dubai Blue wrote:

One for you mate, looks like you will get your wish but looks like he will play upfront :D

https://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-tow ... -1-6137219
It all makes sense now.... offload Harrison and convert Chambers to a forward. I think we might need to offload Harry Wright though .... Bart would have tipped that around the post.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:49 pm

In yer dreams....

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:27 am

Have to say..... it’s still very quiet on the transfer front.

The transfer window is open till late Aug or early September so there’s still plenty of time, but I thought we might have seen more movement. Both in and out.

I don’t know if traditionally League 1 movements tend to follow the knock-on effects of transfers in the PL and Championship ie have to wait until PL/Championship clubs sort out their playing staff and deem certain players surplus.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:56 am

I see Daryl Murphy has been released by Forest..... Anyone think he might be worth bringing back again? Would be solid enough for league 1 im sure.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:09 am

He’s 36 now.... not sure how fit he still is. He definately would add a bit of muscle and nous up front, but not sure if he’d be prolific.

If he wants to keep playing, you’d expect him to drop down a level.... so possible. I’d prefer someone who’s not at the toe-end of their career TBH if we’re supposed to be building something new.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:32 am

Yeah I get that, just saw him against us last year and he was still a very physical presence. Maybe in League one (if hes still fit) he could be that solid tank up front to release players like Norwood and Judge to nip around and hassle the defenders.

He's certainly not one for the future, but we cant have every player being " for the future". We will need some good old heads in there.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:48 am

No to Murphy, can't subscribe to bringing back for another try. Age is a real adverse factor and we got a surplus of attacking names to choose from. I don't really rate any of them they're hardly prolific, but then this is a team in the third league of "football", we got to be realistic in what caliber of forward names are available to us.

As an aside, didn't realize Lampard had departed Derby County for the Chelsea post. Got news only within the last hour, they must have kept that covered up well. Too early to say but believe he'll fit in better in West London than his previous surroundings.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:58 am

saint jude wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:48 am
No to Murphy, can't subscribe to bringing back for another try. Age is a real adverse factor and we got a surplus of attacking names to choose from. I don't really rate any of them they're hardly prolific, but then this is a team in the third league of "football", we got to be realistic in what caliber of forward names are available to us.

As an aside, didn't realize Lampard had departed Derby County for the Chelsea post. Got news only within the last hour, they must have kept that covered up well. Too early to say but believe he'll fit in better in West London than his previous surroundings.
It’s been a bit of an open secret for a while about Lampard. It may work out for him, but expectation levels are going to be far higher at Chelsea with an owner who’s pretty ruthless. And they have a transfer embargo. I would have thought Lampard would have been better to continue learning his trade at Derby. I think this move will go tits up for Lampard. He’ll get a honeymoon period, but it won’t last forever.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:21 pm

saint jude wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:48 am

Not sure we have a surplus of attacking names....

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:31 pm

Just seen a report that Murphy has been transfer-listed, not released. One year left on his Forest contract.

To come here, he’d have to sacrifice a lot in wages. I can’t see it due to that TBH. Looks like this next season will be his last season playing and I would have thought he’d be trying to look after himself and his family before retiring.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:35 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:31 pm
Just seen a report that Murphy has been transfer-listed, not released. One year left on his Forest contract.

To come here, he’d have to sacrifice a lot in wages. I can’t see it due to that TBH. Looks like this next season will be his last season playing and I would have thought he’d be trying to look after himself and his family before retiring.
Ah well that puts that to bed then

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:31 pm

I think we’ve got a few holes in the squad and/or a few positions ( like full backs) where we won’t know how the players get on until they start in League 1. The glaring thing, for me, is the lack of strikers. That must be a priority. Especially since we offloaded Harrison... surely there’s got to be a strategy behind that.

We could do with some wide players coming in, too, but while Roberts and Rowe are still here they’re cover for Lankester, Edwards ...and Judge.

If we are going to start League 1 with pretty much the squad we’ve got now I have no idea how strong we’ll be. League 1 is new ground for us. I think the key could be how well our youngsters adapt and push on... Downes, Dozzell, Kenlock, Lankester, etc. If these kids do well then no real need to bring in players.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:20 am

Someone close to the club i.e. a regular viewer will have to explain the entirety of our attacking options from August. Was understood to think we got sufficient cover in the area but others would beg to differ. What I can ascertain is that any names read available don't seem to be good or proficient enough but time will be the deciding factor.

Took in a view of News Now just recent and there's about zero information concerning activities within the club right now. Either Evans and his subordinates are going about business quietly or little's being done. The new season will be underway in a few weeks and bottom line some will argue the capacities of the team to do well, or sustain consistency over prolonged periods.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:09 am

SJ, we have only Norwood (new signing) and Kayden Jackson as strikers. Jordan Roberts is an option, but he’s really a wide player and I won’t be surprised to see him leave in the summer. Got loaned out to Lincoln and did bugger all.

Sears has a long-term injury (expected to be out till the end of the year). Ben Morriss and Ben Folami (both youth players) also have long-term injuries. They would only be seen as fringe squad players at best anyway. Another youngster Aaron Drinan has been on loan in Ireland and is fit, but not really expected to break into the first team squad.

Will Keane and Collin Quaner were loanees who’ve now left the club. Ellis Harrison got transferred to Portsmouth a couple of weeks ago.

Looking very threadbare up front, so expect Lambert to be looking to add 1 or 2 up front.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:52 am

Wouldn't want to go down the Murphy route again, we need someone far younger than him and I agree with you Tang that we have gaping holes in other areas thst need addressing first

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:15 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:31 pm
I think we’ve got a few holes in the squad and/or a few positions ( like full backs) where we won’t know how the players get on until they start in League 1. The glaring thing, for me, is the lack of strikers. That must be a priority. Especially since we offloaded Harrison... surely there’s got to be a strategy behind that.

We could do with some wide players coming in, too, but while Roberts and Rowe are still here they’re cover for Lankester, Edwards ...and Judge.

If we are going to start League 1 with pretty much the squad we’ve got now I have no idea how strong we’ll be. League 1 is new ground for us. I think the key could be how well our youngsters adapt and push on... Downes, Dozzell, Kenlock, Lankester, etc. If these kids do well then no real need to bring in players.
Two glaring things. First is what you have mentioned a lack of strikers and we need at least one more of them. The second one is our defence that is awful, really poor defence. It's been a problem for few years though.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:01 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:15 pm

Two glaring things. First is what you have mentioned a lack of strikers and we need at least one more of them. The second one is our defence that is awful, really poor defence. It's been a problem for few years though.
Agree completely.