Woman’s World Cup

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Woman’s World Cup

Post by marko69 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:52 pm

saint jude wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:06 pm
.......none in Marseille. Guess it's to do with fitness levels....
They chose not to do Marseilles due to fitness levels? Why? Were they asked to jog to Marseilles?

Not busting balls here, Saint......, genuinely not got a clue what you're on about with this? No doubt getting a taste of my own medicine when other people read my posts. :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:50 pm

In short, it's to do with the the women competitors. Stade Velodrome if correct is a large venue as is (those in) Paris so in the interest of fairness to the women they keep to smaller venues where there's less field to cover and makes the game more compact. Keep in mind you got some adverse weather over there at present time and any humidity can only compound a situation. Tight stadia with less space and area will benefit those participating. Just had the time to elaborate on this issue.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:59 am

Tuned into the England match last night just as the commentator said "she is getting sloppy". I thought wtf have i missed? :shock:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:28 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:59 am
Tuned into the England match last night just as the commentator said "she is getting sloppy". I thought wtf have i missed? :shock:

Don’t tell my next door neighbour that, she’ll be getting more excited than you Derick !

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:45 pm

Sorry guys, I’m gonna have to get behind the USA girls for the win against England. (Derick don’t start!)🙂

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:17 pm

I don't care who wins this night, in fact if the English do it more power to them. Seriously I'm just about indifferent with the whole issue. Let the four remaining teams face off and I think we'll just let things fall as they may. Phillip Neville seems a strange choice as team coach but if he can achieve a Final victory then you got to allow plaudits to the individual. Potential there to one day manage the men's division but perhaps that's getting too far ahead of one's self.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:33 pm

Honestly, if England can get past the USA tonight I reckon they will go onto win the whole thing.

Should be an interesting evening.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:33 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:45 pm
Sorry guys, I’m gonna have to get behind the USA girls for the win against England. (Derick don’t start!)🙂
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:13 pm

If this is what football is coming to then I will walk away from it

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:25 pm

Well England had chances , one slightly offside and the other a woeful penalty. Its a shame really cos the girls have played some good football up until tonight. Why white didnt get the nod for the penalty i dont know. Bad passing has also cost them tonight, i think they looked a little nervouos right from the start and gave usa too much respect. On their day i think they are better, and im sure the little errors will be sorted. Hope they win on saturday , they deserve something from this world cup. Whatever happens they should be proud.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:35 am

Sorry the England women could not progress to a final event. Nothing disingenuous, caught game highlights and on another day it could have gone their way. They got something to be proud of and gave fans at home something that was able to last a while. We've won it enough times, would have been fair to allow someone else the opportunity. Attempt to put up game highlights but embeds have proved problematic over time.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:14 am

I like the Women's game, just as much as the Men's. For decades now, over here the girls have been encouraged to play soccer while the boys played football (American, with pads and stuff).

The result is the USWNT has a vast pool of talent to draw from, and money and infrastructure behind it. I like that the US is the litmus test for other teams, and conversely, I like that other teams are catching up to them. The Lionesses have done themselves proud the last two Cups, and I am glad to see it. There are also other nations catching up in the women's game and I am hopeful it continues to grow.

To denigrate the game simply because it is women compared to men is, to me, a cheap analysis. You try to mark Alex Morgan.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:15 am

TODD66 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:37 pm
Ohiotractorboy wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:09 pm
So, I am confused. The call against Japan with the handball seemed really harsh to me. The arm was not in an unnatural position, the ball was kicked from about five feet from her, and she was moving the arm behind the back when it hit. Why didn't that go to VAR?
It did.

They agreed with the Ref so no need for the long trot to the TV screen - you could see her talking to them and it was easy to see her saying "Its a penalty then"

It was harsh, but correct according to the latest interpritation of the laws. It's those that are the issue giving no leaway!! Surely there still has to be intent.

Sorry for the late response, but thanks for this

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:50 am

Ball comes across, beautifully guided header into the net......
Son Scott, “Oh tidy!”
Me, “yeah, good goal.”
Scotty: “No. Her. Press. Feckin gorgeous!”

Unlucky England. I’d like to say you were robbed but all decisions seemed correct. Woeful penalty though. My granddaughter would’ve hit the ball harder.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:31 pm

Nobody mentioned that VAR was used perfectly in that last game by the way and England might have been given a goal unfairly......

I'll get me coat.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:49 pm

Like everything, there are pros & cons. My issue with VAR is solely how it’s done. The “Give us a f**king clue” air TV Shapes by the ref then going to a pitchside screen. It’s shocking. How they can’t have a grade A ref in a booth watching it and letting the ref know the decision.

Where is the God given rule that it MUST be the ref on the pitch who needs to decide??? They’re trying to make so many changes ——-> well change that. Get the decisions made QUICKER...... (like Aussie rules)

And for the men’s game..... (also like Aussie Rules) ——> slap an opponent who dives.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:05 pm

It were nothing like Belo Horizonte. Arguably (back then) our greatest victory over the English in a soccer capacity. This time gender aside, the result was expected and went to plan, but as before take nothing away from the opposition. I'd expect to play Netherlands in the showpiece event and if the lowlanders pick up a winning score that will warrant required plaudits and recognition. Only hope the game isn't spoiled to any great extent by any VAR horseshit that invariably arises during play and sportsmanship and dedication are evident.

Here is a comprehensive (of kind) rundown on the events of yesterday. An entertaining contest but no need at all to dismiss the losers, one last time they did themselves proud and inspired a nation to what would seem considerable extent.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/7/2/2 ... lex-morgan

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:14 pm

Hard luck to the England Ladies. They proved to be major competitors, even though they won nowt. :cry:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:51 pm

"Right that's it, it's finished. Get back in the kitchen and get the dinner made."

said Derick. :D

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:03 pm

We won the thing but won't be celebrating. Maybe nine, ten years back would have made something of it but not now. Fourth Championship for the nation but was hoping the Netherlands would see victory. Just wanted someone different to take the honor but it's been a good tournament, made a change from the nauseating effect of the men's version. Can see a long vacation away from it this time next year.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:22 pm

Congratulations the USA woman’s World Cup Winners. They just looked stronger and quicker throughout the competition, but I loved the way the English team is starting to get the
recognition they deserve.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:23 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:51 pm
"Right that's it, it's finished. Get back in the kitchen and get the dinner made."

PMSL 😂😂😂

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:30 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if some of those women were to tell Derick to get back in the kitchen and make dinner. :lol:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:56 am

marko69 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:51 pm

I don't think any of them know where the kitchen is...........there is more chance of finding most of them in the gents stood up having pee!! :shock:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:21 am

You mean a woman's World Cup star goes to the docs.......

"Got hair growing between my breasts doc. Seems to be growing around my belly button too."
Doc: "How far down does this hair go?"
"Right down to my balls, Doc."

Shouldn't joke. The game has changed. It's not like the 70s when my Auntie Julie (or Uncle ----> debatable) was playing for Middlesbrough.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:12 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:21 am
You mean a woman's World Cup star goes to the docs.......

"Got hair growing between my breasts doc. Seems to be growing around my belly button too."
Doc: "How far down does this hair go?"
"Right down to my balls, Doc."

Shouldn't joke. The game has changed. It's not like the 70s when my Auntie Julie (or Uncle ----> debatable) was playing for Middlesbrough.
"Shouldn't Joke" me and you? That is never going to happen. :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:59 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:22 pm
Congratulations the USA woman’s World Cup Winners. They just looked stronger and quicker throughout the competition, but I loved the way the English team is starting to get the
recognition they deserve.

My next door neighbour in the UK was appointed Head of Women’s Football by the FA in 2016 and Director of Football last year, since the day she was appointed she has been totally focussed on this years World Cup Finals and put the infrastructure in place to make it a successful campaign. I’m hoping she stays on for a further four years, but even if she doesn’t I’m convinced the structure she’s put in place including the appointment of Phil Neville as Team Manager has improved our chances of competing at the highest level and more important playing entertaining football that the public will pay to watch.

It was nice to see them all enjoying a team day out at Wimbledon yesterday, and talking about recognition, centre stage in the Royal Box too.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:00 pm

Not too sure about that Royal Box. Camera seems to focus on it quite a lot. What happens if you're sitting slightly raised to one side and scratching your bum cheek or something like that. Imagine the headlines?
"DJOKOVIC WINS AGAIN AS LUCY BRONZE HAS ITCHY A*$E"