Prediction time : where will Town finish this season?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

How will Town do this season?

Top Two ( automatic promotion)
19%
3rd-6th ( play offs )
33%
7th-10th
29%
11th-21st
10%
Relegation zone
10%

Total votes: 21

hallamblue

Prediction time : where will Town finish this season?

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:29 pm

How do you think Town will perform this coming season?

Shed on tour

Re: Prediction time : where will Town finish this season?

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:37 pm

Going for 10th.
Think we will be around the playoff positions during parts of the season but when the business end comes around will start to fall away.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:44 pm

Top 2

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:58 pm

Ive gone 3rd to 6th … more out of hope than expectation. I would be happy with just being competitive for the season. It feels like forever since I saw us win a game.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:06 pm

Voted for between third and sixth but it's heart ruling heads truth be known. If the team finishes considerably further down then it will arrive as no surprise. Anyone who envisages a top two finish has their head in their as*.

Got an owner who doesn't give a sh*t and a manager whose judgment is still very much pending. Add to that a collective unit of players that aren't feasibly good enough to challenge. Common sense dictates auto promotion is between slim and zero. We're not of a standard, or prepared enough, in too many capacities. It's a shame to admit it but you got be realistic about what lies ahead.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:10 pm

Heart says top six.

Head says 7 -10.

I’ll go with heart for now.

It’s 3 1/2 weeks till kick-off and the transfer window is open till end of Aug. Is this vote a bit early?

A couple of shrewd (experienced) signings before we start would get me more optimistic.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:25 pm

I've gone for 11th - 21st, but hoping it will be towards the top end of that grouping. I see us as a mid table side at best.

I still remember when Fulham got relegate from the prem last time around. We played them at home early on and beat them 2-1. They passed us off the park with a young side but had no cutting edge. We were 2-0 up until in true MM style we sat back and conceded a late goal. If we can play with a similar style of decent football and finish mid table I'll be happy. I know I'm always pessimistic but I honestly can't see us being anywhere near the playoffs. Unless as Tang says we make some more signings we lack quality at the back and quantity (and perhaps quality - we don't know yet) up front.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:23 pm

Optimistic hat says top 2. Realistic hat says top 10.... but until I see the new look side and set up, anything is possible.

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:30 pm

Got to be top 6 our players are better than most or as good as. Got to be a little better defensively and lucky on the injury from.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:12 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:10 pm
Heart says top six.

Head says 7 -10.

I’ll go with heart for now.

It’s 3 1/2 weeks till kick-off and the transfer window is open till end of Aug. Is this vote a bit early?

A couple of shrewd (experienced) signings before we start would get me more optimistic.
Completely agree with all of that.👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:47 pm

I agree with Tang, a couple of experienced signings could make a world of difference and freshen things up a bit in the dressing room, but everything I read suggests our football club is gearing up for a lengthy stay in League One and doesn’t have the ambition or investment for a quick return to the Championship. It looks to me like we’re just happy to survive and stay in the Football League. Maybe if we’re sitting comfortable come the end of December ME will have a change of heart and give it a go but at this stage I think we’re looking simply to consolidate and dig in. I just pray we have a good start to the season as without it I fear panic could set in.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:04 pm

League & Cup double. League One Champions & Checkatrade Champions.

That last cappucino tasted funny.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:32 pm

I am still worried about our defence, scoring ability (say Norwood gets injured early), goal keeping (if Bart goes) and confidence.

Really keen to be wrong, but I only see mid table at 5he moment.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:01 pm

I'll say optimistically that it's gonna be midtable for us. Yes, optimistically midtable.

I genuinely don't know where some people take a bigger optimism from and say that we're gonna compete for the top positions. I'd like to remind some fact for those people: we are being owned by Evans.

He isn't serious about getting us back up at the first attempt. Not saying we need to chuck millions at it, but trying to do it on the cheap is the same old story. We can't even use meagre 450k from the Harrison sale. Moreover if he isn't willing to even put in part of what we receive in windfalls from Clarke and Mings transfers then you're never going to get anywhere.

Awful defence with creaky and geriatric Chambers plus two average/not progressing full-backs. Another geriatric one in Skuse in front of them. We need another striker. Plenty of needs and ... no money for transfers !!!

Evans isn't interested in funding any promotion ambitions. Our future under him looks bad. Even if we somehow get promoted we won't see any further investment. We will still cash in on assets and look to reduce costs.

I can't believe there are people that still stick up for him. He's a main reason why we are down at the level where we haven't been at for more than 60 years.

Midtable this season followed by League Two in 3 years time.
Last edited by Mach_Polish_Blue on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:17 pm

Jesus Mach, my post was positively optimistic in comparison to yours mate. :D

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:47 pm

Frosty, people forget about reality when being optimistic regarding our chances and future in general. This reality is marcus evans !

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:46 pm

If you take a view of the Green Un there's a leading article about how Lambert is 'out to win the league'. In fact he's quite resolute about the whole issue and team priority is to be in first place by end of season. Would have supplied a link but the pages there seem to be non co-operating, take a look in yourself if needs be.

It's easy to say this and that make bold proclamations but can Lambert really walk the walk on this. Of course the team is out to win the league, it's an objective anyone would envisage, but the manager needs to realize it's an ambition (that) we are unlikely to really fulfil.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:39 am

Better than having him say mid table will do surely ? I'm glad he's not as negative as some of the fans.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:37 am

Alternatively Mike, what do you base your positivity on huh?

Not criticising you mate, I guess there’s a lot of fans, myself included, who are somewhat gun shy after last season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:26 am

I think people are missing the point that we have dropped a level and the opposition will be inferior, our young players will develop and improve further. The likes of Nolan, Nsiala and Edwards were at the top end of the quality in League One when we bought them and should be again, players like Bishop and Lankester should excel at this level not to mention Huws if fit. We have signed the top scorer in the whole country who should score goals, a couple of additions defensively is what is required, apart from all that ai guess I see sod all reason to be optimistic.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:03 pm

:D I'm going for it, my trust is in Lambo keeping everyone fit, ( Huws especially) we do have a good enough side to get to the top 2, I think Wolfie will command the CH position with Nsiala, and we have a superb Midfield squad to choose from, I'm a little bit concerned about the RB position as its maybe our weakest link, so I think PL will dip into the loan market for a more established RB, and maybe another striker who can link up with Norwood, so apart from that we don't need to worry about cup runs, just get the league done and dusted top 2, COYB :D :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:49 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:03 pm
:D I'm going for it, my trust is in Lambo keeping everyone fit, ( Huws especially) we do have a good enough side to get to the top 2, I think Wolfie will command the CH position with Nsiala, and we have a superb Midfield squad to choose from, I'm a little bit concerned about the RB position as its maybe our weakest link, so I think PL will dip into the loan market for a more established RB, and maybe another striker who can link up with Norwood, so apart from that we don't need to worry about cup runs, just get the league done and dusted top 2, COYB :D :D
Can the above post be framed? :D

Bowled over with the positivity, Ash. You been on the same "doctored" cappucinos?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:57 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:01 pm
Midtable this season followed by League Two in 3 years time.
That's taking pessimism to whole new depths. I actually understand your despair.

Got to be confident though that over the next two seasons, if ITFC are only just avoiding relegation, something will be done. Fans revolt or a new buyer.

I'd settle for League Two if the club can bag the Checkatrade. Cappuccino anyone?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:46 pm

Even I can't see the team falling another division within three years but then take anti-depressants each and every day. Maybe they conflict with true feelings. Suppose the club has a very sub-standard season and finishes well in the lower reaches of the league (albeit safe) then you'd expect imminent changes at relevant level. People say the owner doesn't care to any great extent and perhaps they got a point but he's been with it long enough to address any real concerns that may further develop. One of those rare appearances / speaking out et cetera. He'd better have a viable plan if such a scenario were to occur.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:58 pm

I think we’ll win the league.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:13 am

I was prescribed antidepressants about 20 years ago (Seroxat) and then couldn't get a hardon, which of course made me even more depressed.
Imagine Ipswich Town FC being relegated to League Two .....AND .....; you couldn't get a hardon? Man, that'd be a rough period in life.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:31 am

Or, get a hard on at the wrong time! Two AM in the morning...sorry mum, I was just gonna have a cold pork pie & Branston pickle...honestly!😬

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:35 am

7t til midtable at best, is all i can see at present. We HAVE to hit the ground running as Burton are no mugs especially at home and then Sunderland at home i believe will define our season. Of course its early days but its also a mark of what this league is all about.

The championship is notoriously difficult to get out of but league one in a hard slog and sometimes it wont be pretty but its just as important to dig deep and grind out result in a long physical tough season.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:26 am
I think people are missing the point that we have dropped a level and the opposition will be inferior, our young players will develop and improve further. The likes of Nolan, Nsiala and Edwards were at the top end of the quality in League One when we bought them and should be again, players like Bishop and Lankester should excel at this level not to mention Huws if fit. We have signed the top scorer in the whole country who should score goals, a couple of additions defensively is what is required, apart from all that ai guess I see sod all reason to be optimistic.
Maybe to build on that.... if this pre-season we’d bought Nolan, Nsiala and Edwards then I’d think we’d be optimistic that we were buying decent League 1 quality players. Maybe add in Jackson. You can also add in the fact they’ve had a year to bed in.... flip-side to that is they’ve had a year of being burdened by relegation. I’ve got no problem with these players - they should do OK. Maybe it’s best to look positively and say we did our transfer business a year early ( and give some credit to Paul Hurst :D ). The big question for me is how the oldies (Chambers, Skuse) and the youngsters get on.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:32 pm

I think it's really gonna come down the our youngsters. If they can't step up in League One, I'll begin to question our academy as a whole. I'm confident they'll cope: they finished first in Group B...I'm assuming they may see some familiar faces playing in league one.

Like I've said before, I really don't think Chambers and Skuse are 90min players. I could be wrong, but I'm hoping there's a few younger players waiting to pounce on their chance.

I think the Everton loan will be a good fit. Is Joe Royle still at Wigan? I wonder if there's any loan potentials there?...he always keeps an eye on ITFC.