Transfer Rumours Thread 2019/20 Season

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tangfastic

Re: Transfer Rumours Thread 2019/20 Season

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:06 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:15 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:31 pm
I think we’ve got a few holes in the squad and/or a few positions ( like full backs) where we won’t know how the players get on until they start in League 1. The glaring thing, for me, is the lack of strikers. That must be a priority. Especially since we offloaded Harrison... surely there’s got to be a strategy behind that.

We could do with some wide players coming in, too, but while Roberts and Rowe are still here they’re cover for Lankester, Edwards ...and Judge.

If we are going to start League 1 with pretty much the squad we’ve got now I have no idea how strong we’ll be. League 1 is new ground for us. I think the key could be how well our youngsters adapt and push on... Downes, Dozzell, Kenlock, Lankester, etc. If these kids do well then no real need to bring in players.
Two glaring things. First is what you have mentioned a lack of strikers and we need at least one more of them. The second one is our defence that is awful, really poor defence. It's been a problem for few years though.
Could it be our defence has found its level? Expecting Chambers and Nsiala to be first choice CB’s. The full backs - Kenlock at LB and anyone of Donacien/Emanuel/Woolfendon at RB. For me, no idea how they’ll get on until we start the season. Just expecting League 1 strikers to be less prolific and maybe more slower. Would have liked a fit James Collins to be in the defence, but just not fit enough.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:51 am

I'm not overly worried about League One forwards and what damage they could inflict on the team. Maybe it is a cause for concern but there's greater worries in life than what may come at our defense from August. There's a few useful strikers down there but nothing what I'd call prolific.

Either the team will adapt straight away in August and treat is as business as usual, or a struggle will occur and we'll find ourselves out of depth over time and in something of an adverse position. Evans and Lambert must realize the team as before isn't really equipped to challenge for a promotion opportunity. The latter may wish to get things done, while the other invariably remains aloof and only makes occasional appearances or attempts to undertake actions when felt forced or compelled to.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:46 pm

saint jude wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:51 am
Either the team will adapt straight away in August and treat is as business as usual, or a struggle will occur and we'll find ourselves out of depth over time and in something of an adverse position.
Or......., could be 17 years of mid table, League One mediocrity?

Thats being both positive and negative.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:24 pm

Positive and negative is how to short circuit a battery, not sure such contrasting fields will work for the team next season. Has to fall one way or the other, there's little in the way of middle ground. First season should set the trend of what to expect from there on.

News Now has little concerning team activity from viewing right now. Queens Park Rangers got some interest in Alan Judge and could make a move but Lambert dismisses any rumor / speculation. Some random reports from today's game in Germany, (there are) no other transfer activities you need know of.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:02 am

No, there's nothing in this, Saint. Apparently Judge tweeted that his Shepherds pie was smelling like his birds bush ......., some journo read, "Shepherd's Bush"; put Tu & Tu together, got Desmond, (who's a QPR fan) ......, nothing in this.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:31 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:06 pm

Could it be our defence has found its level? Expecting Chambers and Nsiala to be first choice CB’s. The full backs - Kenlock at LB and anyone of Donacien/Emanuel/Woolfendon at RB. For me, no idea how they’ll get on until we start the season. Just expecting League 1 strikers to be less prolific and maybe more slower. Would have liked a fit James Collins to be in the defence, but just not fit enough.
As things stand this defence is a SHOWER. Creaky and geriatric Chambers plus two average/poor full-backs. Emmanuel was sent back by Shrewsbury for a reason and when I watch him in action it doesn't surprise me at all. His progress seems to have stalled and the same applies to Kenlock. Are you convinced by the latter? I'm not.

Woolfenden ? This is a new higher level for him and hard to anticipate consistent, good performances from him.

Donacien? Maybe but let's not forget that Lambert didn't give him a chance last season.

The only one we could count on in my opinion is Nsiala.

And after what Lambert has said yesterday : 'We can’t buy anybody, that’s the fact of it' I'm not looking forward to the season as we won't be a threat.

We can't even use meagre 450k from the Harrison's sale to find a new striker. Only a freebie. That's why I find Harrison's departure inexplicable, stupid, stupendous but this is Ipswich Town under Evans and nothing changes. He is trying to claw the money back at every opportunity whereas we continue to decline. Some people still kiss his arse and will continue to do so even when we find ourselves in League Two in not so long.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:33 pm

Tyrone Ming's to Aston Villa for 20 million will mean a million coming our way but unlikely any will go on transfers I'm sorry to say.😬

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:11 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:31 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:06 pm

As things stand this defence is a SHOWER. Creaky and geriatric Chambers plus two average/poor full-backs. Emmanuel was sent back by Shrewsbury for a reason and when I watch him in action it doesn't surprise me at all. His progress seems to have stalled and the same applies to Kenlock. Are you convinced by the latter? I'm not.

Woolfenden ? This is a new higher level for him and hard to anticipate consistent, good performances from him.

Donacien? Maybe but let's not forget that Lambert didn't give him a chance last season.

The only one we could count on in my opinion is Nsiala.

And after what Lambert has said yesterday : 'We can’t buy anybody, that’s the fact of it' I'm not looking forward to the season as we won't be a threat.

We can't even use meagre 450k from the Harrison's sale to find a new striker. Only a freebie. That's why I find Harrison's departure inexplicable, stupid, stupendous but this is Ipswich Town under Evans and nothing changes. He is trying to claw the money back at every opportunity whereas we continue to decline. Some people still kiss his arse and will continue to do so even when we find ourselves in League Two in not so long.
I thought Harrison leaving could only mean we’ve got someone lined up. Still waiting, and if we’re only going for free transfers then we’re pretty well limited on quality. Don’t quite understand that yet. Harrison isn’t top drawer, but he’s good enough for our rivals and is proven at League 1 level. Unless we’re using the money on an expensive loan. We’ll see.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:06 pm

Tang: I think Wolfie will be better than Chambers, and could be along side Nsiala , he certainly put himself about with Swindon last season and grabbing a few goals, and personally I don't think there's a lot of difference between Div 1 & 2, a lot is boot and run type play, a little bit more physical, so in certain games we will have to roll the sleeves up, knuckle down to grind out results, we will certainly have to hit the ground running when we meet Burton Albion, who are no soft touch, but as proved in Cup games we always went out to lower league sides, but I'm sure Paul lambert will have the squad fit and ready, and Bart will be our Number one Keeper, and we have to accept that Marcus Evans will never invest funds in players proportionate to our needs, so I am not expecting too much from our squad in the first season in this division, but I would expect to be in and around 6th place, but we will see, its a long journey back to the championship, and the ball is firmly in Mr Evans court for any additions during the season.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:56 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:23 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:56 pm
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... e-16546102 Few extra quid for Town.
Derick please ! Few extra quid for Evans and his pocket.......Not for Ipswich ! We aren't going to benefit from that few extra quid nor is it going to make any positive difference.

It's going to reduce the amount he puts in.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:45 am

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:23 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:56 pm
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... e-16546102 Few extra quid for Town.
Derick please ! Few extra quid for Evans and his pocket.......Not for Ipswich ! We aren't going to benefit from that few extra quid nor is it going to make any positive difference.

It's going to reduce the amount he puts in.
Hiya Mach hope you are well. I was thinking the money was going to help with the extra 9 million in lost revenue from being relegated. I don't think for one minute ME is going to hand it over to PL to spend on the playing squad. :wink:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:39 am

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:25 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:39 am
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... -1-6147460 .............Never heard of him.

To be honest Derick I think this is likely to be the case with each and every player we’re linked with whilst we’re in League One, or at least in the early days. If we end up staying there a while I guess we’ll become more familiar and more knowledgeable of the lower level players but hopefully this won’t be the case.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:52 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... -1-6147460 .............Never heard of him.
If it is true that Grimsby have had a offer turned down and according to Lambert we won’t be paying fees for players then I don’t see this happening.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:00 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:52 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
If it is true that Grimsby have had a offer turned down and according to Lambert we won’t be paying fees for players then I don’t see this happening.
Unless we use the currency of a Drinan and/or Cotter swap deal.

Like others, I’ve never heard of the guy. He’s left Oldham, a League 2 club, half-way through the season to sign for Dundalk. Based on that alone, would that be the quality of player who would be better than Emmanuel or Donacien at RB?I think we’ve got enough unproven defenders in the squad, so I’m not sure how serious this interest is.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:27 pm

Looks like we could be getting a LB on loan. Another Everton loanee.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... rbutt-loan

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:17 pm

Decent signing if it comes off

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:20 pm

Good competition for Kenlock and contract up next summer so if does well we might get him for nothing.👍

ijjysmith

Post by ijjysmith » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:03 pm

Hello.

Everton fan here, but Dad’s a Tractor boy for life.

Unsure really how Garbutt will do for you guys. He played about 4 games for us ever. Put a decent cross in once in a meaningless Europa League game and we decided to give him a 5 year deal on nearly £30k a week as we were certain he was the next Leighton Baines.

He was not.

Apparently did well for Oxford last season so knows the league well. And it’s the end of his five years next summer so if he does well he’s a freebie for you after....on less wage of course.

Good luck for the season.

ijjysmith

Post by ijjysmith » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:18 pm

Oh he is better than Pennington I should add.

Different positions of course but Garbutt is a better player for me.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:12 pm

ijjysmith wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:18 pm
Oh he is better than Pennington I should add.

Different positions of course but Garbutt is a better player for me.

Thanks and hope you are right, Everton are on the up also hope you also have a good season.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:44 pm

ijjysmith wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:03 pm
Hello.

Everton fan here, but Dad’s a Tractor boy for life.

Unsure really how Garbutt will do for you guys. He played about 4 games for us ever. Put a decent cross in once in a meaningless Europa League game and we decided to give him a 5 year deal on nearly £30k a week as we were certain he was the next Leighton Baines.

He was not.

Apparently did well for Oxford last season so knows the league well. And it’s the end of his five years next summer so if he does well he’s a freebie for you after....on less wage of course.

Good luck for the season.
Thanks for that 👍. The fact that he’s 26 yrs and has experience of League One , will be just what we need : Experience! Good luck this season in PL .

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:51 pm

Deal done, season long loan. Good signing imo. Interesting to see where Lambert sees him playing.

https://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-tow ... -1-6157222

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:01 pm

Ando wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:51 pm
Deal done, season long loan. Good signing imo. Interesting to see where Lambert sees him playing.

https://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-tow ... -1-6157222
Oxford fans seem to rate him highly as a left winger/midfielder, but were very scathing when we appeared to bring him in just as a LB. Aparently pretty poor as a full back. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him as left winger to add more balance on the left and assist Kenlock. And also provide LB cover.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:04 pm

I wonder if Lambert has brought h8m in to be the wide left wing player in front of Kenlock ?

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:45 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:04 pm
I wonder if Lambert has brought h8m in to be the wide left wing player in front of Kenlock ?
If that's the case it only adds to the exvess number of mudfieders who won t all get a game.

Seems a strange move to me. By all accounts he gets forward well but is poor defensively. Exactly the same as Kenlock.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:03 am

Andym wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:45 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:04 pm
If that's the case it only adds to the exvess number of mudfieders who won t all get a game.

Seems a strange move to me. By all accounts he gets forward well but is poor defensively. Exactly the same as Kenlock.
Maybe, but if we’re likely to play just one up front and a back four then there’s 5 midfield places up for grabs (if you count the two wide attacking players). If you’re right, we’ve got a same for same player as Kenlock who’s poor defensively. But Maybe he would link well with Kenlock if played higher up the pitch and add a bit of defensive cover ( which Judge didn’t do).

I think the excess number of midfielders we have are in the central areas.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:08 am

I think it is more a case with Kenlock that he is a young player learning his trade in a struggling side who ultimately got relegated than being poor defensively, I saw a lot of good things in Myles that certainly weren't prevalent in Knudsens game like tracking back and not losing your damn man every time, not to mention getting caught under the flight of every high ball into the LB area, im sure he'll improve.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:31 am

Garbutt would seem to be ideal as a wing back in a back 5 however looking at some of the training and other comments I would think PL will go for a 4 2 3 1 playing judge behind the lone striker leaving garbutt to play on the left of him.