Bolton struggling to start the season?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Bolton struggling to start the season?

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:51 am

They really do appear to be in big trouble. They can’t even fulfil pre season friendly commitments, and still owe staff their wages.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -pfa-loan/

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Bolton struggling to start the season?

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:07 pm

Bury are to be deducted 12 points by the English Football League after the club's creditors approved a rescue plan to clear some of the Shakers' debts.

Shakers owner Steve Dale put forward a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) proposal in June which would see the club's football creditors paid in full.

Unsecured creditors, including HMRC, will be paid 25% of the money owed.

A CVA qualifies as an "insolvency event" under EFL rules but the League One club have seven days to appeal.

In a statement issued on Thursday, Dale said the CVA would mean the club's "future is secured".

He said: "We have worked tirelessly to achieve the result today whilst taking a lot of flak.

"Some might say our methods were questionable but we can all pass comment with hindsight, my job was to save Bury FC and that's done. We have other hurdles but the main one is complete."

Meanwhile, CVA nominee Steven Wiseglass said the agreement "hopefully secures a brighter future" for the Shakers.

"The agreement means the club avoids going into administration or liquidation, and it provides a degree of financial certainty in that its historic debts will be dealt with," Wiseglass added.

The deduction means Bury join local rivals Bolton Wanderers in starting the season on -12 points after the Trotters went into administration in May.

Bury are due to reappear in the High Court later in July after a winding-up petition brought by HM Revenue & Customs over an unpaid tax bill was adjourned for a third time.

The Shakers are looking for new ownership after Dale put the club up for sale in April.
Looks like Bury and Bolton are down already.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:24 pm

I doubt these two Clubs will be the last professional Clubs to go this way . Just have to hope Town isn’t one of them !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:09 pm

We would be if we conducted our business as some fans seem to want.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:22 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:09 pm
We would be if we conducted our business as some fans seem to want.
And if our owner didn’t put his own cash into the club to keep us a float year on year.... but what a selfish b*stard he is for not burning more money

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:06 pm

Of course ! How predictable ! Some people using other clubs' problems to defend their Marcus. Safe excuse for long years. A few years ago FFP was an excuse for Saint Marcus for example. FFP no longer mentioned, no longer used a defence of him so this one about other clubs is pretty 'safe'.

Even if we find ourselves in League Two or National League in the next few years this kind of excuse will be the same: 'we could be Bolton, we could be Bury, we could be this or that'.

We deservedly got relegated for the way their Marcus has been running the club however a sympathy and love to this vain, despicable tyrant keeps increasing :roll: :roll: :roll:

Anyone remember his five points plan? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: How is this plan going?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:08 am

Founder member of the football league although haven't achieved anything of recognition since the 1950's. Lofthouse would be spinning like a top if he could see the mess they're in. Who's their owner, Ken Anderson or something. Believe he tried to sell up and pass the whole deal to someone else, but it's hardly an attractive investment to any potential buyer/s.

Sad to see the way they've declined but teams before have been on the verge of freefall and found a way back. Like to believe an eventual solution can be found and at least achieve some sense of stability. It won't be in the EPL, but regaining second league status would be a big move in the right direction. Getting rid of Anderson would seem imperative but I don't get to see all that goes on inside that particular club set-up.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:13 am

Mach it has nothing to do with defending Marcus, I don't think anyone has ever said they particularly like him but it is more about acknowledging the facts that his money keeps us afloat, add to that he can only invest so much , that is reality as is the fact we are having to deal with another 9 million shortfall following relegation.

I've said it many times but a section of Town fans are equally to blame for our relegation because they were hell bent on hounding out MM a long long time before he actually left, we would without question still be a middle of the road Championship club if he were still here, boring it may have been but we would not be in League One, the fans knew best and wanted change, a lot even said they would take relegation over MM staying any day if the week. I think it is fair to say Mach that you were one of the most vociferous with the wanting him gone stance from quite an early stage so part of the responsibility rests with the fans that wanted him gone. It got to a point where pretty much everyone wanted him gone due to the divide that was created over those months but I have zero doubt if he was still here we would not be going to Burton in Two weeks time, instead it would be Derby or Blackburn or another Championship club.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:36 am

Mike yes it's a lot to do with defending Evans. You and others very quickly forget about the mess he's created. So 9 millions shortfall another good excuse for him? Doesn't Rotherham have 9 millions shortfall either? Somehow though it hasn't stopped them to break the their own transfer record to get a new striker in Ladapo for 500k. You may tell me we got a new one in Norwood but we got rid of Harrison for a fee.

His money keeps us afloat..... dear me ! He is not covering a debt or anything like 6m per annum because his annual fire sale is considerably reducing that amount. The windfalls from Clarke and Mings transfers this summer have even been an unexpected bonus for him.

He keeps limiting his losses by selling any valuable assets and reducing costs at every opportunity. Tell me this is the way to progress and the future doesn't look bad for us. Tell me you're convinced that this is the way !

There is nothing to suggest we would have been a Championship club under mccarthy. For example we had finished only 4 points above the relegation zone two years ago. We would have been relegated for Bialkowski whose saves were the main reason. Him having won POTS under mccarthy is no coincidence.

Wonder how is Evans' five points plan going. Anyone got answers?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:45 pm

Mach it is nothing to do with defending Evans, of course his money keeps us afloat, its stupid to suggest otherwise, who else writes a cheque for around 300k EVERY Monday morning? Why don't you have a go or anyone else that wants him gone ? How is the 9 million shortfall an excuse? Its another fact that some refuse to accept and it doesn't follow that Rotherham will have the same figure, I don't believe it works like that.

Why is spending 500k on a player more impressive than getting the country's top scorer for nothing? Its an obsession with spending as if it makes us better. We spent 1.7 million on Jackson , that went well although I think he'll come good. Spending money means nothing. Of course we sell players, 99% of clubs do, they have to, when he refused to sell Mcgoldrick a while back for silly money he was slated again, last season when teams were after Bart we didn't sell then either so it's not a firesale at all, more about balancing the books which every business has to do, especially ones 96 Million in debt which thankfully Evans has takena hit on but still he doesn't fund the club?

Do you honestly think we will see a penny of the money from the mings and clarke deals for a while? Of course we won't, it will be in instalments.

I believe there is little doubt we would be in the Championship if MM was still here, you've highlighted the only season where we were close to the bottom, the other seasons are the norm, statistically its another fact that we'd be top half. We know the Five point plan hasnt worked out but gloating about it solves nothing, fans wanted him to come out and speak of a way forward, he did that, and while some things fall at his door there are some that don't, a few managers spring to mind. Marcus said only last year he would listen to serious offers to buy the club, he turned Two away who have since gone tits up at other clubs, there but for the grace of god !!! I personally don't believe him to be the Green eyed monster that you do, I would just like to hear a sensible and constructive argument to him going than just "f*ck off out of our club " they are the words of fools because without him we die.