5-0

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

nicscreamer

5-0

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:11 pm

I am speechless.... more goals in one game than in the whole of last season 😂😂😂😂😂

Kerry Blue

Re: 5-0

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:43 pm

Norwood looks the part just hope he stays fit also pleased Jackson got a couple, this should give them some confidence.👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:51 pm

A very good performance for a pre season friendly, some good individual performances, clearly Norwood looks a player and will score goals, his second was very good. Nydam was very good at LB, hard working and tenacious, Danny Rowe had good game, his pass for one of Jackson's goals was sublime. Downes looked solid while Donacien did little wrong. We looked much better when we had Two up front after the break, Jackson's movement was good and took his goals well.

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:06 pm

Jackson will benefit with having Norwood up top, last season too much was asked of him. It will also take a little pressure off Chambers. Norwood presence is just as important as the goals he scores.

It was hardly what you would call a first team, but I suppose it may be the same for Colchester and it was a friendly and results don’t matter unless you win :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:08 pm

Good confidence booster, as we get closer to the start of the season we should get a better idea of Lamberts first choice starting line up.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:41 pm

Great to see the goals flow again, I know its only a friendly but this won't hurt the lads confidence. 😀 ⚽ Bluearmy

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:10 pm

I thought we were poor in the first half. Although I can't remember Colchester having a shot all game apart from the one Chambers blocked early on, their passing and movement off the ball was better then ours for the first 45 minutes. Second half was much better. I still don't understand why we don't mark players in wide positions but there we are.

Norwood looked very good. Not just his goals bug his all round game. Strong and a bit nasty, so much movement off the ball and if he drops back to get the ball he releases it quickly and gets back up front. Great to see a striker getting goals inside the 6 yards box. Keeper took s couple of crosses well but otherwise had nothing to do.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:58 am

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... highlights

Some well taken goals, things you miss in real time but I thought Dozzell did really well for the second goal, started the move and put in the killer ball for the tap in.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:09 am

I really enjoyed last nights game . What a refreshing thing to see Town play the game with vigour, on the deck, and a clear “ togetherness@ as a team.

First half, we did “ ok”, there were a few hefty challenges going in from Chambo, Downes and Norwood. But I thought our young midfield at times looked a little lightweight. We saw flashes of what Dozzell can do, but overall ( for me), he still doesn’t impose himself enough throughout a game.

Players that caught my eye especially, were, Rowe. What a feisty little player he is, and he has an excellent cross on him too. Nydam is another feisty little player and I thought did really well at Left Back, with Kenlock playing beside him at CB ( which he did not a bad job tbh). With young Nydam, he doesn’t yet have that confidence to get forward from the left back position. But I’m sure that will come in time.

Town really went up several gears after the break with Jackson ( who is a very dangerous striker when played in a strike partnership), playing alongside the awesome ( FREE!!!!) Norwood. What an absolute steal and likely signing if the season he’s going to be. With Roberts and Rowe on the flanks providing the crosses into the box , and the constant movement by the strikers , Col U just couldn’t live with us in that second half. We tore them a new rear end frankly, with poor old Gerken being subbed mid way through the half. There was little he could do about the goals in all fairness . But it brings me to our GK.

Holy is a sheer man mountain. He has such s physical presence in that goal and when he stands with his arms out from his sides I’d swear he could touch both goals posts from the centre of the goal. He’s absolutely massive . He took what crosses that came his way cleanly and efficiently. His handling of the ball is very assured ( you can see that he’s played basketball in the past as he’s unphased by challenges for high balls). His kicking is huge and accurate and he is very confident on the Hall with both feet. Yet another excellent signing on a free. On what I’ve seen I think Bart is going to have his work cut out to regain that #1 jersey - we shall see, but competition is good.

I feel very encouraged by last nights performance . Yes it’s “ only a friendly “, but when was the last time Town actually won a ore season game , yet alone so convincingly ??

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:21 am

Only a friendly it might be but had we lost 5-0 it would sure as hell have mattered to most, as you say it was a refreshing change and the second half was very good, like you Nydam, Rowe, Holy, Norwood and Jackson all stood out but Chambers and Downes had good games too, the latter goes unnoticed, much like Skuse but he did a lot of good work. It was also good to see Huws putting it about a bit too without any ill effects (that we know of). It just goes to show money being thrown at it means nothing, Norwood on a free will be a massive piece of business as will Holy, how nice to finally have a keeper who can do the basics well, hopefully the lad from Bury will be the next freebie, some will moan he isn't costing 2 Million but keep bringing them in Lambert.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:53 am

The difference with Norwood and Holy from normal freebies is that they were actually still wanted by their previous clubs. So why would anyone be concerned about paying money, in fact money has probably been spent on signing on fees. Basically we have signed a multi million pound striker for peanuts

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:57 am

On last night's performance I would agree 100% about Norwood, a great game all round.

I will reserve judgement on Holy. He did nothing wrong at all but the few crosses he took were mostly unchallenged and he didn't have a shot to save. He may be a great signing but I can't tell on what I saw last night.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:01 am

That’s probably a fair comment Andy ref Holy. He didn’t have a lot to do. But his presence in that goal definitely struck me. I expectBart will get his chance to impress in the next game . It’s of competition isn't it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:19 am

Very encouraging.

Lots of positives by the sound of it. Wrap Norwood in cotton wool.

It was weird that Kenlock played CB. I would have thought the Woolf and/or Ndaba would have lined up there. Maybe saving them for the next game.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:41 am

Friendly or not, 5-0 is always good. Well done ITFC.
In Norwood, the club have the League One Fernando Torres! 👍👏👏👏

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:44 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:41 am
I hope you don’t mean the part where they move south from Merseyside and it all goes tits up!

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:17 pm

Encouraging for the new season ahead.
Can't believe it is only now 2 weeks away :) :)

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:34 pm

Highlights suggest good football and great finishing long may it continue and I don't give a f*ck who we are playing

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:12 am

Ando wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:44 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:41 am
I hope you don’t mean the part where they move south from Merseyside and it all goes tits up!
😂, no Ando.

AndyM had wrote, quote:
“.... and if he drops back to get the ball he releases it quickly and gets back up front.” End quote.
Made me think of Torres. 👍

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:15 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:01 am
That’s probably a fair comment Andy ref Holy. He didn’t have a lot to do. But his presence in that goal definitely struck me. I expectBart will get his chance to impress in the next game . It’s of competition isn't it.
I think I’d stick with Holy for the next games. Lambert should know all about Bart by now and, let’s be honest, both parties probably want to part company.
Based on Bart’s last game... we’re more likely to sell if he’s not playing. I think Bart needs a new start elsewhere and I’m sure Holy was brought in here to be number 1... and I think it would be better for a GK to know he’s first choice.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:28 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:15 am
I’m sure Holy was brought in here to be number 1... and I think it would be better for a GK to know he’s first choice.
Yes, i don't think it helped either keeper last season to be dropped and reinstated.

I think Holy will be no. 1 simply because most managers prefer to play their own signings.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:17 pm

I think Bart was meant to had been gone until Millwall started pratting about , and Holy has already alluded to the fact that he was coming here to be #1 on the understanding that Barteod be leaving imminently.

Having said the above, Barts form continues to be very poor , and Holy although he wasn’t called upon much v Col Utd, displayed an air of authority amongst the back four, and his presence and ball handling was faultless.

I know it’s only s couple of ore season games in but Bart is going to have to raise his game considerably IMO to keep that #1 shirt . My personal view is he had always been over- hyped , and that’s his basic game is average at best. I still think he will move on, because I don’t think he’s up for the fight at Town now to keep the shirt and had stated he wants to stay in the Championship. It remains to be seen who actually wants him. But I do wish him well if he does move on.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:52 am

Hmmm I think we are a little guilty of short memories in relation to Bart. How many times did he get player of the season? How many times did he win 3 pts or save 1 with excellent shot stopping? I get that he had a bad patch last season but the ability that he showed pretty consistently for a long while didn't just vaporise. It's up to the coaching staff to get that kind of performance out of him and get him mind in 'the right place' if that's the problem.

I would suggest that he's a Championship goalie in League 1 and if we have a few players of this status in our side this year then we have a better chance to go back up. How could he not be no.1?

Ok if he goes in this window then fair enough, and there is still time for that. Then it's not long until the next.

For me he has to be no.1 and it's unfortunate for Holy maybe but he has a personal win-win-win situation. If we don't start well he may get to replace Bart, if we start storming League 1 then he may well be a Champ keeper next season, if Bart gets sold then he goes in a no.1. He just needs to keep training hard and be ready.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:29 am

I think the main issue is we’re desperate to get him of the wage bill and get a few quid. I think that was planned for in our budgeting. We could probably have 2 League 1 players with Bart’s wages. He didn’t just have a bad patch... he had a bad season. I think for a goalie... that’s difficult to come back from. I like Bart and he’s kept us in games in the past, but time for him to leave IMO. He was extremely poor in his last game in Germany.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:10 pm

Nice to see Rowe mentioned once or twice, I was surprised to see him not used last season. League 1 hopefully will be a good level for him and others.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:19 pm

TBH Dubai Bart has been pretty ordinary for a lot longer than last season where quite frankly he was woeful. Two of those player of the season awards were a joke and indicative of fans voting for their favs, Bart was definitley a fans favourite, those awards mean about as much as Chambo winning it this time around.

His shot stopping is very good but it amazes me how people say he wins us games/points because I would suggest his inability to catch, kick, command, distribute and punch have cost us equally as many points as he's won us. His body language last season was garbage too and I for one hope he is not our Number One, it speaks volumes that only Birmingham and Millwall have shown any real interest in him and yet he is still here, speaks volumes for me.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:20 pm

Rowe was very good Friday night and I too hope he is given a chance, as Derick says eksewhere he can play the Judge roll and when you think about it just how much did Judge contribute?

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:16 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:20 pm
Rowe was very good Friday night and I too hope he is given a chance, as Derick says eksewhere he can play the Judge roll and when you think about it just how much did Judge contribute?
Judge plays for himself not the team.

Rowe Nolan Edwards just behind Norwood and Jackson whilst getting 1 mil for judge would do me fine.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:32 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:10 pm
Nice to see Rowe mentioned once or twice, I was surprised to see him not used last season. League 1 hopefully will be a good level for him and others.
Me too! He looks a feisty player. He just needs a bit of belief & confidence.