Cambridge Utd V Town - Pre season Friendly

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Cambridge Utd V Town - Pre season Friendly

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:49 pm

James Norwood and Kayden Jackson will both start for Ipswich Town in this afternoon’s last pre-season friendly at Cambridge United (KO 1pm).

Alan Judge, subject of two failed bids from Championship club QPR, is on the bench for the first time this pre-season while Andre Dozzell, who has himself been linked with a move to Norwich City, also starts – although it is not yet clear whether it will be a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 formation for Town.

Tomas Holy gets the nod over Bartosz Bialkowski in goal – though manager Paul Lambert was keen to stress pre-match this wouldn’t necessarily indicate his starting line-up for Burton Albion next week – while the defence includes Luke Woolfenden partnering trialist Jon Guthrie in the centre and Bailey Clements at left-back. Fellow trialist, James Wilson, also starts on the bench.

Missing from the squad are Myles Kenlock, Jordan Roberts and Corrie Ndaba in addition to the players currently sidelined or on the way back from injury.

Cambridge’s XI includes ex-Blues winger Reggie Lambe and former Norwich stalwart Wes Hoolahan.

Cambridge: Mitov, Knoyle, Taylor, Ward, Jones, Maris, Curruthers, Hoolahan, Lambe, Trialist, Ibehre.

Town: Holy, Donacien, Clements, Woolfenden, Guthrie, Downes, Skuse, Jackson, Norwood, Rowe, Dozzell. Subs: Bialkowski, Emmanuel, Chambers, Wilson, Garbutt, El Mizouni, Dobra, Judge, Huws.

arana peligrosa

Re: Cambridge Utd V Town - Pre season Friendly

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:08 pm

Seems a capable squad on paper, a short trip westwards with climate conditions more favorable than the last few days, it should be a good event.

That said it's about underway at time of writing but can't obtain a score right now. TWTD or the Cambridge official team page doesn't show score updates so guess we'll have to allow further time to view the full picture. The trip to Germany were disappointing but back on home soil I think the team should adapt better. It's only a friendly but these type of games invariably provide an indication of what to expect in the months ahead.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:23 pm

Still 0-0 with 25 mins to go, sounds like Town have had the better of it with Norwood a handful, he just had a goal ruled out for handball

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:46 pm

Downes has been sent off for head butting.

Will that carry over to League 1 as a ban seeing as that it’s a friendly?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:51 pm

Full time 0-0 I am not sure but I think that Red card is carried into the season proper

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:51 pm

0-0 final score. Oh dear .

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:53 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:51 pm
Full time 0-0 I am not sure but I think that Red card is carried into the season proper
Probably a 3 match ban as it’s violent conduct. We’ll see.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:57 pm

Bloody stupid

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:57 pm
Bloody stupid
Exactly. At Colchester I was discussing with somebody about how many games he would miss this season through suspension. Hasn’t taken long for it to start.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:10 pm

I’m not sure if this will carry over to a League game. I’ve seen a couple of match reports (TWTD / EADT )and no mention of a suspension.

Could do with Downes being available next week. Could he be our new ‘enforcer’ midfielder ? Just need to fine-tune it.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:17 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:10 pm
I’m not sure if this will carry over to a League game. I’ve seen a couple of match reports (TWTD / EADT )and no mention of a suspension.

Could do with Downes being available next week. Could he be our new ‘enforcer’ midfielder ? Just need to fine-tune it.
Not sure but thought it was a ban for violent conduct even if it was committed in a friendly. Hopefully I’m wrong.
I know we want our players to show aggression but it does need to be controlled and this is one part of Downes game that I have always had doubts about. Whatever the outcome I’m sure Lambert will be having a word in his ear.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:24 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:17 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:10 pm

Not sure but thought it was a ban for violent conduct even if it was committed in a friendly. Hopefully I’m wrong.
I know we want our players to show aggression but it does need to be controlled and this is one part of Downes game that I have always had doubts about. Whatever the outcome I’m sure Lambert will be having a word in his ear.
Fine him a couple of weeks wages. That’ll please Marcus.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:31 pm

Re Flynn Downes....... definitely just a quiet word from Lambert. He could be one of the youngsters that will make a position in midfield his own. He definitely has a quality about him for someone so young. (20)

The headbutt is probably just left over anger at helping Luton to the championship and having to play L1. And let’s face it, with a name like Flynn, he’s probably taken sh*t his whole life. Keep on taking no sh*t, Flynn. Be a bit more discreet about it though!! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:10 pm

Just read a report and it seems the Cambridge keeper played a blinder today. This could be a familiar story for ITFC this season.

Teams like Wycombe maybe getting a draw at Portman Road. Then humped at home v Rochdale the week after. Players raising their game to play ITFC.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:20 pm

Get in there, Chambo. Doing the skipper’s role and looking after the youngsters .... and also targeting the ginger (sorry, Marko).

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:24 pm

It appeared to materialise from a strong tackle from Ibehre on Downes, with the latter reacting before a melee in the middle of the pitch.
Ugly scenes at the end of the match with Flynn Downes sent off for Town and Jabo Ibehre dismissed for the hosts.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:36 pm

Caption Chambos lips there. Clearly the “ginge” word being used.
“Back off, Ginge!”

And a “melee” in a “friendly”. What’s it all about!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:38 pm

From what I’ve read...unless the FA investigate there won’t be a ban. Sounds like no-one was injured during the melee, so hopefully the referee won’t make a big thing about it.

Downes was apparently our best player till then. It could be a useful lesson for Downes in the long run, but sounds like he was on the wrong end of a bad tackle to start it of.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:42 am

Downes, for all his footballing attributes, may now just have become Town Achilles heel in the midfield. Opponents will quite likely “ target” him now to try and get him carded. FD down has a long history it seems of being booked / sent off ( pre professional career), for acts just like yesterday’s. He did similar in the scum game at CR if remember rightly. Shame really because that now makes him essentially Town weakness in midfield.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:34 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:42 am
Downes, for all his footballing attributes, may now just have become Town Achilles heel in the midfield. Opponents will quite likely “ target” him now to try and get him carded. FD down has a long history it seems of being booked / sent off ( pre professional career), for acts just like yesterday’s. He did similar in the scum game at CR if remember rightly. Shame really because that now makes him essentially Town weakness in midfield.
Fair points, but maybe a flip side to that is we need a bit of nastiness in midfield. I think another weakness in our midfield has been lack of steel and being bullied, so I’m all for Downes to be aggressive - just cut out the stupid headbutts and other silliness.

I think that’s one ofour main weakness’ and I don’t think we can outclass a lot of teams unless we match them physically. It’s up to Lambert to keep him fired up, but to have more control. Apparently, Downes was our best player yesterday until the flare-up.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:02 pm

That’s a true and fair point tang. I’d put Nolan amongst the midfielders with fire is his belly too but is not so red mist inclined.

You’re right , if Lambo can keep Downes in check a little then we will have an ideal CM. League One isn’t for the feint hearted is it.