Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

How’s the season gonna start??

Burton win
18%
Town win
54%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 28

Tangfastic

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:29 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:57 am
So without the knowledge of anymore new signings what does everyone think the starting line up will be ?
I am going for this.....

..............................Holy........................
Donacien, Woolfenden, Wilson, Kenlock
.............................Skuse.....................
..........Judge........Huws..............Rowe
..........................Jackson.....................
.....................Norwood.......................

I did toy with Skuse at CB in place of Wilson with Downes in the holding role which could well happen and possibly Dozzell in for Huws.
I think you could be spot on with the back five. Holy seems to have got the nod over Bart.

I haven’t seen either Guthrie or Wilson play - but it seems likely we’ll sign one of them. Wilson, by reports, seems the most solid.

I’m not sure they’ll risk Huws to start and play 90 mins. And Judge may be lacking match fitness. I think they may be on the bench.

I think Downes and Skuse will start. Dozzell maybe also in midfield. Rowe playing behind Jackson and Norwood in the number 10 role. It could well be Norwood’s on his own up front, but I do wonder if we’ll go with two up front as we’re short of fit wide players.

It was interesting as a side note that Skuse played RB when Donacien went off. Emmanuel on the bench, but ignored. Doesn’t look like Emanuel is highly regarded by Lambert.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:46 am

Yes that is why I wonder if Dozzell will start ahead of Huws with the latter coming on early second half. I have a feeling we may have to risk starting Judge though.

As for Emmanuel, im not sure he is good enough either if I'm being honest, for me Donacien is way ahead of him and looks solid to me, plus can switch to CB too should the need arise so versatile also, I think he's a definite starter

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:07 am

I see us sneaking a tight nervy 1-0 win.

Caption - Norwood shows his delight at signing terms with. Ipswich. He now becomes towns highest paid player on £2.50 per week, as much haribo as he can eat and a new wig every month. With incentives, he hopes to make it a permanent transplant after 6 months.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:16 am

Caption 1: James Norwood Balances a piece of wood on his head. :shock:

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:17 am

Dear Mummy,

I’m settling in well - everyone is really nice.
The Head Boy is called Chambo and is looking after me. He runs a sort of Bed and Breakfast thing called an annexe - but still plays football on the side. His best friend is called Cole. He has lots of grey hair, but also still plays football.
There’s another new boy here called Tomas, who’s a giant, like from that book you read me about the boy with the beanstalk.
We wear really cool shirts with Magical Vegas on the front. I asked Mr Lambert if we were going to Las Vegas, but he said we had some seaside trips on the weekend planned at Southend, Blackpool and a place called Fleetwood. I’ll take my bucket and spade. Next weekend we’re going to Burton where they make Marmite - yum.
I haven’t seen much of that nice Mr Evans. He’s very busy in his other job as a billionaire. I’m not sure what he does but someone told me does something called asset-stripping. Not sure what that is but it sounds like what Aunty Linda did in those pubs.
Yesterday we had a day trip to Cambridge. A naughty boy called Flynn got in a fight. It doesn’t surprise me as he looks like Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter films. Mr Lambert was cross.
I must go now. I’ll keep in touch. Love James.

😂😂 first 5 points coming your way if it was my choice, Tang (which it isn't 😬)

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:24 am

Can't wait for Saturday now. Am travelling so cannot attend I am sad to say. Am even excited about the possible ship out of Bart and bringing in a big striker - I have said for years that that is what we need to get out of the Championship (and now League 1) but we have never gone down that path. Just think over the years how many opposition big unit strikers have been our downfall - would be nice for it to work to our advantage for once! Hope all you Tractor Boys and Girls have fun and travel safe. 2-0 to Town and we are on the way back... COYB's!!!!

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:15 am

Caption - just gonna practise with a pen before i use a knife

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:55 am

Caption - Yesss Mate says Norwood after his Promotion winning Goal.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:10 pm

Caption Bloody hell man I'm more popular than the Beatles in Ipswich

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:42 pm

Watership Down wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:10 pm
Caption Bloody hell man I'm more popular than the Beatles in Ipswich

Check out that number plate, WD!

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:41 am

Burton.....the place of one of the biggest mccarthy's meltdowns couple of years ago :lol:

Travelling to this on Saturday and I'm dreading the game because of our defence. If Burton forwards are on fire it could be a difficult afternoon for us. All depends on how our central defence copes with them.

I'd be particularly content if Judge scores a goal. He's been labelled as rat/snake by some, number of our fans have been knocking him for 'wanting to talk to QPR' so him scoring would be a perfect answer to them.

Will be surprised if we keep a clean sheet given our problems in defence but we'll see.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:48 am

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:41 am
Burton.....the place of one of the biggest mccarthy's meltdowns couple of years ago :lol:

Travelling to this on Saturday and I'm dreading the game because of our defence. If Burton forwards are on fire it could be a difficult afternoon for us. All depends on how our central defence copes with them.

I'd be particularly content if Judge scores a goal. He's been labelled as rat/snake by some, number of our fans have been knocking him for 'wanting to talk to QPR' so him scoring would be a perfect answer to them.

Will be surprised if we keep a clean sheet given our problems in defence but we'll see.
Can’t believe you’re dreading the game, Mach. I can’t wait for it to start. None of us know exactly what to expect in League 1 and how prepared we are, but I’m looking forward to the uncertainty of it all and a fresh start. Our defence looks the weakest link, but maybe we’ll threaten in the opposition box more.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:05 am

Indeed we need to go full Joe Roylesque to get something out of this methinks.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:43 pm

I see we’re 15/2 3rd favourites to win the league after Sunderland 7/2 and Portsmouth 9/2. If we’re going to live up to the billing we’ll need to come up with at least a draw in this opening fixture. Whatever the outcome after the final whistle we’ll have a far better inkling as to what to expect and how we’re likely to cope in this unknown territory, for me a good start is essential.

My prediction 1-1

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:45 pm

My prediction too Andy.

Took a bet on 365 yesterday, Town promoted, Fulham promoted, Budgies heading South for the Summer.

$20.00 returns $150.00 odd from memory

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:46 pm

I'm seeing a draw too tbh and with our injury list id take that.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:07 am

Team:

Holy

Donacien
Wilson
Woolfenden
Kenlock

Skuse
Downes
Dozzell

Judge
Rowe
Norwood

Never in doubt

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:11 am

Apparently Dozzell has not travelled with the squad....

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:14 am

Off to Norwich then.... Huws in instead

vaalae

Post by vaalae » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:28 am

I couldn’t help myself, I had to predict an away win! Then read your preview Frosty and even more concerned.

These guys mean business-a share of the points will do. Sorry man look here, but has the team been named?

vaalae

Post by vaalae » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:35 am

Tang you have set the bar impossibly high for the rest of the season - “goal” of the season in the first game, awesome stuff
tangfastic wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:05 am
Caption 2:

James writes his first postcard back to his mum.

Dear Mummy,

I’m settling in well - everyone is really nice.
The Head Boy is called Chambo and is looking after me. He runs a sort of Bed and Breakfast thing called an annexe - but still plays football on the side. His best friend is called Cole. He has lots of grey hair, but also still plays football.
There’s another new boy here called Tomas, who’s a giant, like from that book you read me about the boy with the beanstalk.
We wear really cool shirts with Magical Vegas on the front. I asked Mr Lambert if we were going to Las Vegas, but he said we had some seaside trips on the weekend planned at Southend, Blackpool and a place called Fleetwood. I’ll take my bucket and spade. Next weekend we’re going to Burton where they make Marmite - yum.
I haven’t seen much of that nice Mr Evans. He’s very busy in his other job as a billionaire. I’m not sure what he does but someone told me does something called asset-stripping. Not sure what that is but it sounds like what Aunty Linda did in those pubs.
Yesterday we had a day trip to Cambridge. A naughty boy called Flynn got in a fight. It doesn’t surprise me as he looks like Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter films. Mr Lambert was cross.
I must go now. I’ll keep in touch. Love James.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:37 am

vaalae wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:28 am
I couldn’t help myself, I had to predict an away win! Then read your preview Frosty and even more concerned.

These guys mean business-a share of the points will do. Sorry man look here, but has the team been named?
Hey buddy, good to see you on!

Having a little one, I expect you on a bit more at stupid times! 😉

Take care, we should catch up for a beer huh?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:22 pm

Dozzell has not travelled with the squad after Scum interest in signing him. I don't mind him going to for the right money but not to the scum.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:31 pm

My hope for the day.

Don't lose!

I would live with that as a starter.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:14 am
Off to Norwich then.... Huws in instead

Not sure about that lot up the road, but I have seen a few convo's on a few websites saying it could be Tottenham he's off to with a season long loan back to us.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:09 pm

Skuse and Downes both starting. Shades of McCarthy playing 2 defensive midfielders to shield a weak defence. I still think we need to be more attack minded.
Hopefully 2 up front. That should help.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:20 pm

0-1 Garbutt 👍👏👏👏👏

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:20 pm

Get in!!! COYB's

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:55 pm

I’d give that goal to Rowe.... Garbutt hit it and it deflected off Rowe’s shin.

We’re just about good for the 1-0 at HT, but we let Burton back in the last 10-15 mins. Getting a bit tasty, but we’ve avoided a yellow card.

Rowe’s my player of the half. Looks a threat and likes a run and a shot. Norwood’s doing OK, but hasn’t had a chance yet. Donacien the weakest link for me.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:00 pm

So far so good, we've looked the more likely side while they've not really troubled Holy. Rowe has been the pick of the bunch and had a good effort well saved, Norwood has looked busy while the Two CB's have been solid, Downes putting it about and doing ok. For me kenlock and Donacien have done ok but need to clear their lines quicker at times. Was interesting how the build up for Rowes effort started with a quick release from Holy which set Norwood away, something we've lacked for years.