Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Howโ€™s the season gonna start??

Burton win
18%
Town win
54%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 28

ipswichtownNo1

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:01 pm

Wireless says donicien having ok game

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:00 pm

Great result. No need for Chambers next week. Clean sheet.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:01 pm

derick_ipsw wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:00 pm
Wilson went off injured.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:12 pm

Good start and players to come back ๐Ÿ˜€ COYB

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:15 pm

Sounded like a nervy last few minutes, but a win is very well received. Glad thatโ€™s done and we can move onwards and upwards.
Players still to come back in, but hope Wilson is not too badly injured.
See you all next Saturday
COYB

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:32 pm

tangfastic wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:01 pm
Wilson went off injured.
Bastards. :x

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:53 pm

Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:01 pm
Wilson went off injured.
Only cramp ๐Ÿ‘

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:57 pm

Nice to get that under the belt.

Burton are probably a top ten side and not long out of the Championship - so not a bad scalp away from home.

Still quite a few players out injured as well. Rowe really impressed me. Norwoods worked his arse off and provides a constant outlet. Iโ€™m hoping Downes is going to be a big player this season .... thought he had a really good game.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:23 pm

Good start to the season :D , yes we got a win,didn't get many of those last season.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:23 pm

Solid performance. Not anything special just solid. Certainly better than them and I expected Burton to offer far bigger threat than they did.

Rowe's drive and desire to go forward was for me an arguably most pleasing aspect of the game. It was particularly impressive in the first half. MOTM for me.

Woolfenden seemed very assured and saved us a win with his last-gasp clearance.

Downes like a professor at times in the middle.

Holy decent first half but his farcical mistake towards the end of the game nearly cost us points.

Unexpected 3 points for me as this defence was frightening me before the game but what a lift for Lambert as I feel really sorry for him. Must be really awful for him to work for evans. He certainly wants to build something for the future but given lack of tools from evans he may have to turn to the loan market.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:30 pm

Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:57 pm
Nice to get that under the belt.

Burton are probably a top ten side and not long out of the Championship - so not a bad scalp away from home.

Still quite a few players out injured as well. Rowe really impressed me. Norwoods worked his arse off and provides a constant outlet. Iโ€™m hoping Downes is going to be a big player this season .... thought he had a really good game.
yes agree, that was a tough game to start the new campaign and very important to win, onwards and upwards and a safe trip home for the traveling fans COYB

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:16 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:23 pm
Solid performance. Not anything special just solid. Certainly better than them and I expected Burton to offer far bigger threat than they did.

Rowe's drive and desire to go forward was for me an arguably most pleasing aspect of the game. It was particularly impressive in the first half. MOTM for me.

Woolfenden seemed very assured and saved us a win with his last-gasp clearance.

Downes like a professor at times in the middle.

Holy decent first half but his farcical mistake towards the end of the game nearly cost us points.

Unexpected 3 points for me as this defence was frightening me before the game but what a lift for Lambert as I feel really sorry for him. Must be really awful for him to work for evans. He certainly wants to build something for the future but given lack of tools from evans he may have to turn to the loan market.
Mach, :astroll: this club has simalarities to the Brexit saga, wrong person in charge at the top end ?????

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:09 pm

Thatโ€™s actually complete bullshit. Itโ€™s absolutely nothing like Brexit in the slightest. No one will ever sort the Brexit issue. Certainly not Boris bungling Johnson and itโ€™ll all be f**ked after October 31st....... if it happens.

Another owner COULD โ€œpossiblyโ€ make things better for ITFC.

But today is for celebrating the three points I wouldโ€™ve thought. Predicted the win but wasnโ€™t 100% sure of it. Any win away from home is going to be precious so well done PL & the lads.
Hopefully a safe, and joyous trip home for the travelling supporters.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:16 pm

Bluemike wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:14 am
Off to Norwich then.... Huws in instead
Nope . Lambert said he clashed knees in the Cambridge game, so left at home for this game. Scum wont pay what weโ€™re asking for him.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:26 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:01 pm
Text message from my sons buddy...... โ€œHey Mark. Who is Wireless that IpswichtownNo1 speaks about?โ€

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ ITNO1...... you old bstd with yer Wireless!

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:13 pm

marko69 wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:09 pm
Thatโ€™s actually complete bullshit. Itโ€™s absolutely nothing like Brexit in the slightest. No one will ever sort the Brexit issue. Certainly not Boris bungling Johnson and itโ€™ll all be f**ked after October 31st....... if it happens.

Another owner COULD โ€œpossiblyโ€ make things better for ITFC.

But today is for celebrating the three points I wouldโ€™ve thought. Predicted the win but wasnโ€™t 100% sure of it. Any win away from home is going to be precious so well done PL & the lads.
Hopefully a safe, and joyous trip home for the travelling supporters.
If the Town fans except where they are this season, its going to be something to look back on as a great experience. visiting grounds with history not just another soulless stadium, fans who have been down so long everything looks up to them, just enjoy the ride but try not to stay to long.

We did many a trip down there in my time as a Wolf.

PS Marco. I still call it a wireless LOL

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:14 am

marko69 wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:26 pm
ipswichtownNo1 wrote: โ†‘
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:01 pm
Text message from my sons buddy...... โ€œHey Mark. Who is Wireless that IpswichtownNo1 speaks about?โ€

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ ITNO1...... you old bstd with yer Wireless!
๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ showing my age. Im 46 but my dear old nana used to call the radio the wireless, something ive kept going. My eldest son who is 5 calls it a wireless too๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:20 am

Not worth saying anything you may later regret, the block function is adequate, but caught the score late and bottom line got a victory on the first weekend of a new season. New season in a lower division you can hasten to add but can't alter the circumstances of before.

Seems we made a near half the crowd at the opposition stadium which is a bonus to take from today. A considerable number traveled, no doubt expected for a first game event. They had greater possession if statistics are accurate while we saw an increased number of goal opportunities.

One of our external staff saw a dismissal for kicking a storage container top on to the field of play if correct. Bit harsh you can argue but it's all about the result. It's all anyone associated with the team could have asked for.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:28 am

Well all things considered that was an acceptable start to life in League One, we are clearly going into the unknown and none of us really know what to expect, add to that a list of injuries as long as your arm already and you can see why optimism prior to kick off was hardly in abundance. That said I felt Town did ok and by the final whistle were worthy winners despite having a few hairy moments towards the end when we should really have saw it through without too many problems after they were reduced to Ten men.

Town kicked off with Four of the line up making their debuts and much of the focus was naturally on James Norwood as he is regarded as the big hope for goals this time around, with Luke Woolfenden partnering James Wilson at the heart of the defence I must confess to being a bit sceptical of our chances, Two of our best players, Judge & Huws were on the bench, OMG the size of Holy in the Town goal stood out, he is a giant !!!!

It was Town who started the brighter of the Two teams with Norwood & Rowe straight into the thick of the action with the latter catching the eye immediately. At the back Woolfenden had got his head to a couple of early balls to settle the nerves and Holy was alert to a through ball as he raced off his line to collect the ball. Charnwood had just said to me how the early goal he wanted had not arrived when Town took the lead in the Eleventh minute, it was Rowe again with a purposeful run down the Right who fed it to Norwood his lay off played it to Downes who in turn set up debutant Luke Garbutt who's goalbound shot took a deflection off a defender before nestling into the net leaving the keeper helpless, the Town fans erupted at the other end with flares going off as the players all celebrated the start we craved. It was decent move by Town and Danny Rowe played a pivotal part in it.

Tomas Holy was called into action Two or Three times, plucking high balls out of the air with ease and saving One with his feet when called upon which was offside anyhow but he did what was required, Flynn Downes was showing up well in the centre of Midfield and getting on top of the Burton Midfield, Skuse was in his usual deep role and covering the back Four who had by and large been solid although at times I felt the Two Town fullbacks were slow to clear their lines at times and Once or twice got caught out. Up front Norwood was all over the place as his strike partner Jackson was finding it a little tough to get into the game.

I've often said in recent times how we never create attacking moves from our keeper, Bart was not good at setting us off on the attack but that is exactly what Holy did mid way through the half as Town came so close to doubling their lead. Having plucked another one out of the air the big keeper immediately released Norwood down the left wing with a peach of a throw, the Town striker strode forward before playing a precise pass to Rowe who did the rest, running forward and cutting inside before unleashing a strike which was heading for the net only to see O'Hara in the Burton goal stretch out an arm to palm it around the post, a simple but oh so effective Town move.

Downes was next to have a sight of goal with a header from a freekick but had strayed offside so it wouldn't have counted anyway but it was Town asking most of the questions with Burton offering little as an attacking force. Town's next real chance was all too familiar as Rowe was again sent away down the right and again he did the rest before getting a shot away only to see O' Hara again up to the task as he got down to push it away. The first half was coming to a close with Burton, for the first time looking to cause the Town defence some problems, Holy got down low to keep a shot out before rushing off his line and getting caught in no mans land as the ball was played over him and into the box, thankfully Town's defence cleared the danger but it was the first sign of rashness from the big Czech. The final half chance of an entertaining first half fell to Town but Norwood's effort was blocked and it came to nothing.

For the most part Town had looked comfortable until the final few minutes but saves were few and far between for Town's number One, at the other end Danny Rowe had been the stand out performer while Norwood and Garbutt were both causing the Burton defence problems, Garbutt certainly isn't afraid to have shot as Three times he let fly from distance, thankfully one of them found the target to give Town the lead. Donacien at RB improved the longer the half went on while Wilson & Woolfenden looked pretty assured, Downes was having a very good game in the centre Midfield.

The second half started with Burton on the front foot and looking to get back into the game, Holy flapped at a cross and it fell to Akins who turned and shot wildly over the bar when he should really have levelled it up, it was a scare for Town. Town had just not come out for the second half and Burton were pushing forward at will without creating too much but that was to change at last as Norwood missed a golden opportunity to put us Two up, a Town break saw Garbutt pick up the ball and bring it forward before slipping it through to Norwood who had made a clever run, unfortunately the striker screwed his effort well wide with the goal gaping although he was losing his balance as he shot. With a Quarter of the game to go Alan Judge came on the replace the quiet Jackson as Town looked to add some spark to their second half performance, Garbutt was at it again letting fly with yet another effort which was off target.

With the winning line starting to come into sight Holy had to be sharp to tip a looping effort over his bar and not long after Town were given a boost as Burton were reduced to ten men as Quinn was shown Red for a second yellow card following yet another foul on James Norwood who it has to be said had taken some stick. Emyr Huws was next to come on as James Wilson had run himself into the ground as he limped off. By now Town were looking quite comfortable with Huws, Garbutt and Judge playing some nice possession passing in the Burton half, one judge free kick was saved by O'Hara, Incredibly with little danger Town almost contrived to gift them a goal, Holy inexplicably dithering too long on the ball before kicking it straight against the onrushing attacker, the ball flew goalwards as we all held our breath, it looked to be going in but thankfully curled just wide of the post, it was a real scare and last season that goes in !!!

From somewhere the ref finds Six minutes of added on time much to the despair of the Town following, could we possibly let this one slip, well we nearly did as with seconds to go a corner is headed goalwards and was for all the world going in before Woolfenden somehow gets his head to it just in front of the goal line to send it just over the bar, a great bit of defending by the youngster and ultimately it won us the points. There was till time for Town to almost grab a second but Huws was greedy when getting a shot away with Judge standing yards away and in front of an open goal, a simple pass and he was in. Thankfully that was it and Town had stood firm to open the season with what I would say was a deserved win. There was some good performances by the boys in Blue with Rowe, Norwood, Downes, Garbutt & Woolfenden all catching the eye at times but nobody really had a bad day as such.

Holy (6).......Really solid first half, a couple of scary moments later in the game but by and large ok, good distribution and command of his box, kicking sound.

Donacien (6)....Can be pleased with his performance, improved the longer it went on, definitely better defensively than going forward.

Wilson (6)...looked pretty solid and did nothing wrong, will improve with more game time.

Woolfenden (7)...Was impressed with Woolfy, won some early balls and his positioning and reading of game was good, great clearance at the death.

Kenlock (6)...Much like Donacien can be content, gets forward better than JD but again needs to clear his lines quicker sometimes. Defended ok.

Skuse (6)...A typical no nonsense Skuse performance, won a lot of ball and protected the defence, one glorious cross field pass set Rowe up for shot.

Downes (8)...An excellent performance in Midfield, battled for everything and won most of it, set Town on the front foot numerous times and had a hand in the move for the goal, this performance belied his years but there will be stiffer tests to come, a great start to the season. MOTM.

Garbutt (7)....A good debut for the loanee and got the crucial goal, likes to look to shoot and linked up well with Norwood on a few occasions.

Rowe (8).... A super performance from the tricky wide man and unlucky not to score with Two good efforts, was involved in all Town's good attacking play and looks a player, full of energy and quick, good with ball at feet. Where has he been !!!!!!!

Jackson (5)... Not his day and struggled to get a foothold in the game but worked hard and chased lots of balls down, will have better days.

Norwood (7)...His game is not all about goals as yesterday shows but his workrate is first class, put himself about and roughed up their defenders, won lots of headers against much taller men and was so close to an opening day goal.

SUBS :-

Judge (6).....Was a calming influence when he came on and kept the ball well when Burton were looking dangerous, would have scored had Huws squared it.

Huws (6).....A couple of runs and touches shows me he can be a real player at this level, oozes class and composure, we need to keep him fit. Clearly wanted a goal as his selfishness cost us a second.

El Mizouni (6)....Only on Five minutes but Two excellent touches nearly gave him an assist, will definitely be involved this season.

We can definitely be pleased with an opening day win at a place I would suggest will be hard to win at, in fairness Burton weren't great yesterday and will improve but we are capable of much much more and with the likes of Chambers, Nsiala, Lankester, Nolan, Edwards, Bishop, Sears and Dozzell all missing things are looking promising once they are all fit. We needed to hit the ground running and we have done just that, if we can back it up against Sunderland next week it will be just what we all hoped for, no reason why we cant. Football is back.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:07 am

For me just the type of performance that will be required to get us out of this league.
By no means spectacular but a hard working performance to get the result. IMO Downes and Rowe were our 2 best players on the day. Surprised how many headers Norwood won against a taller defender and as already been mentioned there is far more to his game than just scoring goals.
Just one thing though, ffs Holy no more scares like the one you gave us yesterday as I donโ€™t think the old ticker can take it.๐Ÿ˜‚

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:11 am

Great read Mike . Thanks for that ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘

Sunderland up next and with all due respect to Burton and totally different kettle of fish. So the $60m question is, does Lambert stick with young Woolfie or bring in the more experienced Chambers to partner Wilson at the heart of the defence?

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:34 am

hallamblue wrote: โ†‘
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:11 am
Great read Mike . Thanks for that ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘

Sunderland up next and with all due respect to Burton and totally different kettle of fish. So the $60m question is, does Lambert stick with young Woolfie or bring in the more experienced Chambers to partner Wilson at the heart of the defence?
It will be woolfie and chambo

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:35 am

I would go with Woolfie and Chambers.
Think young Luke should have the opportunity to continue to develop and Chambo will definitely be back in the side. Just my opinion of course. :wink:

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:36 am

Or will he keep Wolf and drop Wilson for Chambers?

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:18 pm

Thanks Mike I always enjoy reading your reports โšฝ ๐Ÿ‘.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:34 pm

Dazzz67 wrote: โ†‘
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:36 am
If it was my decision (Good job it isnt!) I'd aim for a left foot/ right footed combination if there is one.....unless all 3 are right footed?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:12 pm

Dazzz67 wrote: โ†‘
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:36 am
Why drop either. It was a clean sheet they both deserve to keep there places. Why should Chambers come back? What's he done to deserve that? It sends out the wrong message to all other players.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:45 pm

Breaking news......

Ipswich sign Harry Maguire. However he is expected to be on the bench vs Sunderland because Wilson and Woolfenden kept a clean sheet against Burton. Starting Maguire would send the wrong message.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:37 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote: โ†‘
Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:45 pm
Breaking news......

Ipswich sign Harry Maguire. However he is expected to be on the bench vs Sunderland because Wilson and Woolfenden kept a clean sheet against Burton. Starting Maguire would send the wrong message.
Have you been drinking on a empty head. :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:42 pm

Kerry Blue wrote: โ†‘
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:18 pm
Thanks Mike I always enjoy reading your reports โšฝ ๐Ÿ‘.
Ditto! ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘