Ipswich Town vs Sunderland AFC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Backup with our first home win of the Campaign?

Ipswich Town Win
68%
Sunderland Win
11%
Draw
21%

Total votes: 19

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Sunderland AFC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:46 am

Image Ipswich Town v SunderlandImage

Saturday 10th August 2019 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

We're Off !!!!

So what's all the fuss about? This excursion into League One is going to be a doddle, all the pre-season concerns and worries are completely unfounded, of course I jest but Town got off to exactly the kind of start we needed to give players, fans and management some much needed confidence for what is a real marathon slog to come. Defeat on the opening day would have had the alarm bells ringing from the off and that only piles more pressure on to the players. I think it is fair to say that neither side were at their best at the Pirelli Stadium on Saturday but I also think it is fair to say that the better team on the day won the points and considering we had at least what many would call first team regulars out it was quite an acceptable showing.

As has already been said there was some very good individual performances with Flynn Downes & Danny Rowe the pick of the bunch, I felt Downes was the best player on the pitch and looked like the talent I thought he was way back in July 2018 when he ran the game at Gillingham in a Pre-season friendly, in fact Paul Lambert has come out since and praised Downes up too which backs up how good he was. Danny Rowe is really like a new signing, having hardly seen him at all last season he has performed well in Pre-Season to earn his chance and he grabbed it with both hands against Burton, his energy and willingness to run at the defence was something we have lacked and he was unlucky with Two good efforts which drew saves from O'Hara in the Burton goal. James Norwood and Luke Garbutt also put in decent shifts and caused Burton problems, Garbutt surprised me and I feel we may have a better loanee on our hands than some have given him credit for but of course it is very early days but the signs are good.

Another encouraging thing for me was the clean sheet, yes we had a couple of fortuitous moments but we stood firm and much of that has to go down to the good performance of young Luke Woolfenden who along with new boy James Wilson formed a pretty solid central defensive duo, the last gasp clearance off the line by Woolfy was crucial but he had looked up to the task all game and again could well be a big player for us this campaign.

I felt prior to kick off that a point at Burton would not be a disaster so get all Three is a bonus, ok they were not great by any means but it will definitely be a place where points and wins are hard to come by so it is good to get that out of the way and a victory to boot. A special word of praise for the Blue Army who once again did the club proud, just on 1,800 Tractor Boys and girls sang throughout and as the players have said it made it feel like a home game and gave them a real boost, we really do have a massive part to play so well done to each and every one of them.

Lambert's Comments

Paul Lambert has cranked up the tension behind the scenes with his swipes at owner Marcus Evans in the last few days, he is certainly not afraid to say what he thinks and really has pushed Evans into a corner with his "Let the fans know what is going on stance" where new signings are concerned. While I love Lambert and hope we have him for a long long time to come I cannot help but think this is just a little bit crafty on his part and some of what he has said quite ambiguous.

On the one hand he says Evans is the most important person at the club and is needed more than anyone else, he goes on to say they have a great relationship etc and that he pumps in lots of money, he states there are no problems between the Two of them which kind of paints a picture of harmony, but then on the other hand he says he is angry that nothing appears to have happened with regard to signing the players he has earmarked as targets and that things are dealt with way too slowly, Lambert also made reference to "this is how this club is run" which infers it's not good in certain areas so for me the manager seems to be contradicting himself at times and in a way covering himself from any criticism, I just felt some of the comments didn't make total sense.

I also didn't get too much comfort from the press conference he gave last Thursday, his body language wasn't good and he came across down in the dumps, while that may be a true reflection I couldn't help but think that on the eve of the first game of the season he could maybe have hidden a bit better as it is bound to filter down to the players and fans which it did, then to say "he didn't care if he was sacked" really did surprise and disappoint me, it may be a comment that can be taken out of context but I still felt it was potentially counter productive, thankfully it didn't affect the outcome and we move on, it would be nice to see at least One or two of these targets arrive before Thursday's transfer deadline passes but don't hold your breath.

First Up At Portman Road

Well on paper at least they don't come much tougher than our opening home game as the League One Pre-Season favourites Sunderland come to town, it's been said if we can get a result here we can beat anyone at home but I am not so sure what all the fuss is about if I am honest. Sunderland opened up their campaign with a disappointing home draw against Oxford in a game that saw the Mackems on the back foot from the off, they lined up with only One outfield player from last seasons play off defeat so it is a much changed line up that Jack Ross has assembled, way too many draws last season cost them and they have started in the same vein again.

Looking at their line up against Oxford gives me little clue as to how good they could potentially be, I don't really recognise many of them at all, Willis, Hume, Gooch, Dobson, Embleton ??? Forgive me but who are they ? Should we be overly worried ? Why don't we let them worry about us ? Let's crank up the noise and make it a cracking atmosphere to spur the lads on, I am thinking over 20,000 for this one and what better way to get our home campaign up and running by beating the favourites and one of our main rivals for promotion so soon in the season, we can do it, I believe we will do it, Two wins to start the new campaign, how good does that sound ? Town win for me. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Sunderland

Founded 17 October 1879 as 'Sunderland and District Teachers A.F.C.' by schoolmaster James Allan, Sunderland joined The Football League for the 1890–91 season. They replaced Stoke, who had failed to be re-elected, becoming the first new club to join the league since its inauguration in 1888.

During the late 19th century, they were declared the "Team of All Talents" by William McGregor. Sunderland won the league championship in the 1891–92 season, one season after joining The Football League. Sunderland successfully defended the title the following season. In the process, they became the first team to score 100 goals in a season, a feat not matched until 1919–20.

Sunderland came close to winning a third successive league championship in the 1893–94 season, finishing second behind Aston Villa. However, they regained the title in the 1894–95 season.

Sunderland came close to winning another league title in the 1897–98 season, when they finished as runners-up. That season was their last at Newcastle Road, as they moved to Roker Park the following season. After coming second in 1900–01, the club won their fourth league title in the 1901–02 season.

The club won the league again in 1913, but lost their first FA Cup final to Aston Villa, in a very tough loss. This was the closest the club has come to winning the league title and the FA Cup in the same season.

Two seasons later the First World War brought the league to a halt. After the league's resumption, Sunderland came close to winning another championship in the 1922–23 season, when they were runners-up to Liverpool. They also came close the following season, finishing third, four points from the top of the league. The club escaped relegation from the First Division by one point in the 1927–28 season.

The club's sixth league championship came in the 1935–36 season, and they won the FA Cup the following season, after a victory against Preston North End at Wembley Stadium.

The remainder of the decade saw mid-table finishes, until the league and FA Cup were suspended for the duration of the Second World War.

For Sunderland, the immediate post-war years were characterised by significant spending. This, along with record-breaking transfer fees, led to a contemporary nickname, the "Bank of England club". The club finished third in the First Division in 1950, their highest finish since the 1936 championship.

The late 1950s saw a sharp downturn in Sunderland's fortunes, and in 1958 they were relegated from the highest division for the first time in their 68-year league history.

Sunderland's absence from the top flight lasted six years. After the close call in the previous season, the club was promoted to Division One in 1964 after finishing in second place. At the end of the decade, they were again relegated to the Second Division.

Sunderland won their last major trophy in 1973, in a 1–0 victory over Leeds United in the FA Cup Final. Since 1973 only two other clubs, Southampton in 1976, and West Ham United in 1980, have equalled Sunderland's achievement of lifting the FA Cup while playing outside the top tier of English football.

By winning the 1973 FA Cup Final, Sunderland qualified for the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup, the club's only appearance in European competition to date.

After spending six seasons in the Second Division, Sunderland were promoted to Division One in the 1975–76 season, however, they were relegated the following season back into Division Two.

Sunderland appeared in their first League Cup final in 1985, but lost to Norwich City.

In 1987, Sunderland saw one of the lowest points in their history, when they were relegated to the Third Division of the English league for the first time, but were promoted straight away the following season.

In 1990, they were promoted back to the top flight in unusual circumstances. Sunderland lost to Swindon Town in the play-off final, but Swindon's promotion was revoked after the club was found guilty of financial irregularities and Sunderland were promoted instead. They stayed up for one year before being relegated on the final day of the following season.

Sunderland's next outing in a major final came in 1992 when, as a Second Division club, they returned to the FA Cup final. There was to be no repeat of the heroics of 1973, as Sunderland lost to Liverpool.

After promotion from Division One in the 1995–96 season,[56] Sunderland began their first season in the Premier League, but finished third from the bottom and were relegated back to the First Division.

In 1997, Sunderland left Roker Park, their home for 99 years. The club moved to the Stadium of Light, a 42,000-seat arena that, at the time, was the largest stadium built in England after the Second World War.

Sunderland returned to the Premier League as First Division champions in 1999 with a then-record 105 points. At the end of the season Sunderland finished seventh, with Kevin Phillips winning the European Golden Shoe in his first top-flight season, scoring 30 goals.

Another seventh-place finish in the 2000–01 season was followed by two less successful seasons, and they were relegated to the second-tier with a then-record low 19 points in 2003.

Former Ireland manager Mick McCarthy took over at the club, and, in 2005, he took Sunderland up as champions for the third time in less than ten years. However, the club's stay in the top flight was short-live as Sunderland were once again relegated, this time with a new record-low total of 15 points.

Following Sunderland's relegation from the Premier League, the club was taken over by the Irish Drumaville Consortium, headed by ex-player Niall Quinn, who appointed former Manchester United captain Roy Keane as the new manager.

Under Keane, the club rose steadily up the table with an unbeaten run of 17 games to win promotion to the Premier League, and were named winners of the Championship.

At the start of the 2009/10 campaign, Irish-American businessman Ellis Short completed a full takeover of the club, and Steve Bruce was announced as the next manager on 3 June.

Sunderland started the 2010–11 season strongly and they eventually finished 10th — which was still their highest top-flight finish for 10 years.

Bruce was sacked in November 2011, and replaced by Martin O'Neill. In February 2012, Quinn left the club with immediate effect. O'Neill was sacked in March 2013 and Italian Paolo Di Canio was announced as his replacement the following day. The appointment prompted the immediate resignation of club Vice Chairman David Miliband due to Di Canio's "past political statements". Sunderland went on to survive relegation with one game to go.

Di Canio was sacked after a poor start to the 2013–14 season, and reports of a complete breakdown in relations with his players. Gus Poyet was announced as his replacement, and led Sunderland to the 2014 Football League Cup Final, where they were defeated by Manchester City.

In March 2015 Poyet was sacked, and veteran Dutchman d*ck Advocaat was appointed as the club's new head coach, saving the club from relegation. Eight games into the 2015–16 season he resigned from the position. Sam Allardyce was appointed the next manager in October 2015. Sunderland remained in the relegation zone for much of the remainder of the 2015–16 season, but Allardyce was able to save the club from being relegated with improved form in the second half of the season.

In July 2016, Allardyce left the club to be announced as manager for the English national team following the dismissal of Roy Hodgson. Former Everton and Manchester United manager David Moyes was appointed as his replacement on a 4-year contract. Under Moyes, Sunderland made the worst ever start to a Premier League season, taking just 2 points from their opening 10 matches. The club was relegated to the second tier for the first time in ten years at the end of the 2016–17 season, finishing bottom of the table with 24 points. On 22 May 2017, Moyes resigned as manager of the club. On 15 June 2017, goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, product of the Sunderland's academy, having joined the club aged eight, was transferred to Everton for a fee of £25 million, rising to a possible £30 million, a record for a British goalkeeper.

Following relegation, Simon Grayson was announced as the new manager of the club. Under Grayson, the club made a very poor start to the 2017–18 EFL Championship season (which was documented in the Netflix series Sunderland 'Til I Die), taking only 2 wins in 14 games. was sacked, and Wales head coach Chris Coleman replaced him in November 2017.

In April 2018, after a second consecutive relegation, this time to League One, the club was sold to a group led by Stewart Donald, chairman of Eastleigh F.C. and Coleman was released from his contract.

St Mirren manager Jack Ross was appointed as manager in May 2018 to take charge of what is only the club's second ever season in the third flight of the English football league system. In their first season in League One the team finished 5th and reached the playoff final, but lost to Charlton Athletic at Wembley.

The Manager – Jack Ross

Form Guide

Ipswich Last Match – Currently in 8th place with 3 points

Burton Albion 0-1 Ipswich

Sunderland Last Match – Currently in 13th place with 1 point

Sunderland 1-1 Oxford United

Marko’s Caption Contest – THE DON CUP

Excellent first week of Don Cup captions, a few laugh out loud moments amongst that lot. :lol: Keep that standard going please.

Caption picture:

Here’s Jack looking delighted.

Match referee – TBC

IPSWICH TOWN 2 SUNDERLAND 1

nicscreamer

Re: Ipswich Town vs Sunderland AFC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:10 am

I see a win. 2-0. Our defence will hold firm again.

Caption - jack ross thinks about sucking on a fisherman’s friend, until he sees the fisherman and his mate turn up.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:16 pm

Caption Comp 1 : Jack ross swallows his Recorders mouth piece while showing off in front of press.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:34 pm

Caption: Jack Ross is still in a state of shock at the news conference after watching one of Grant Leadbitter’s corners.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:38 pm

Can't wait - we will do it. 2-0 Town COYB's!!

Caption 1: Jack Ross denies that he needs a sherry or two to combat press conference nerves...

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:38 pm

Caption 1. Madame Tussauds presents its biggest and best dummy yet.

Caption 2. Jack Ross ponders life after St.Mirren and can't believe that Sunderland is actually an even bigger shithole than Paisley.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:48 pm

Caption 1:
Reporter: Using only facial expression can you describe the state of Scottish football
Ross: *pulls face*

Caption 2:
Ross reflects on 20 years of marriage.....

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:28 pm

Caption. Jack in deep thoughts after his Sunderland side's loss on Saturday, if only Ipswich had offered me the managers job.😖⚽

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:01 pm

When you look at Sunderland’s team I find it hard to believe they are favourites for the league. They must have an awsome cohesiveness and play style as the players are bang average.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:09 pm

Ok, Town win please, 2-0.

Caption

Reporter - is it true that you have been attending the Paul Lambert "How to look happy in a Press conference " masterclass?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:10 pm

Caption 2: I can put up with our fans chanting you’re getting sacked in the morning but when they start to sing,even Paul Hurst is better than you, then it is time to consider my position as manager.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:16 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:01 pm
When you look at Sunderland’s team I find it hard to believe they are favourites for the league. They must have an awsome cohesiveness and play style as the players are bang average.
Pretty much what I was alluding to in the preview notes, like you I must be missing something

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:13 pm

Caption 1 JR takes blow job from cleaner after she was told to polish all the little knobs around the building.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:57 pm

Been busy all day,..... just managed to read preview. Top stuff! 👌👍

And if the captions are going to keep to this standard, it’s going to be a brilliant season. Genuine laugh out louds at every entry so far this week. :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:00 pm

And hey...... second week in a row without a referee confirmed? Whits that aw aboot?! There is no better feeling in the world than taking the pi$$ out of a referee!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:17 pm

Caption 3...... Who shot JR??"

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:22 pm

Caption:

"The reason I am wearing 'blue' today is that our new Marketing Manager from Cardiff said it made a big difference to their side after switching over from 'red'."

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:37 pm

Voted for a home team win, the opposition seem nothing special as their recent relegation would demonstrate. Feel a level of sympathy for any one team that provides Norwich City with their only recognizable trophy "accomplishment" but even then, that really isn't saying much.

Ipswich 1 Sunderland 0

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:27 am

Caption:

Interviewer: “ Jack, before you signed for Sunderland you were pursued by Ipswich. What attracted you to the role here?”

Jack Ross: “ Marcus Evans”

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:24 pm

Caption 1:
After being asked how he prepares for a heavy weight like Ipswich Town, Jack Ross does his impersonation of Rocky.

Caption 2:
Jack's famous 'pout' gets him on the front page of Sexy League One Managers Quarterly.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:19 pm

Caption 1: right, which one of you f**kers has got my chin?

Caption 2: Jack Ross considers how he will cone across in ‘Sunderland ‘till I die’ part two

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:42 am

Caption: Put your lips together and blow. Jack Ross shows how he plays the "Blue vein Piccolo".

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:09 am

Caption 2: 'i wonder what would happen if i pulled on that wire going over my desk...'

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:22 am

Marko when are burton caption scores going up :p

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:02 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:17 pm
Caption 3...... Who shot JR??"
Looks like he’s used both hands to shoot himself

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:27 am

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:22 am
Marko when are burton caption scores going up :p
After the first four weeks of captions, AB. Makes for a much better first league table 👍

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:03 am

Great idea

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:06 am

Is it, isn't it?

Bear Grylls steps in for ill JR at press conference..

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:13 pm

Holy

Donacien Woolfy Chambo Kenlock

Downes Skuse

Judge Garbutt

Rowe

Norwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:20 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:06 am
Is it, isn't it?

Bear Grylls steps in for ill JR at press conference..
Haha!! 😂 He does look like Bear Grylls.