New rules Evans as to abide by ...

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

New rules Evans as to abide by ...

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:21 am

Perhaps this might explain things more clearly for those who struggle with the complicated financial constraints đź‘Ť

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/salary-cos ... -1-6200132

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: New rules Evans as to abide by ...

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:24 pm

Let's hope those with a greater intellectual perspective can grasp it.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:39 pm

I've always felt its hard to ask an owner to spend even more than he already is. For this reason I've never been critical of ME's spending. (His appointments are another issue.)

However, if he slipped up by not strengthening the squad when we were at the top a few years back, he.might regret it again this season. Assuming he can keep within the wage budget, with so many signings not being counted in the total and a higher percentage allowed this season, it would be worth pushing closer to the limit as next season will be much harder.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:53 pm

I see what you’re saying andym, but I think a critical difference for Town is we’ve already been into administration unlike many other Clubs who repeatedly flout the rules. So I’m not sure how that little nugget would affect any ruling should Evans dr used ( which I doubt he will), throw caution to the wind, and spend beyond our permissible levels at L1 level.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:11 pm

Oh yes, a few years ago FFP was used an excuse for Evans. It turned out to be one big bollox so people have been creating excuses throughout the years to defend him.

Here we have the newest one. Seems like that even Paul Lambert doesn't have the same great knowledge as some of pro-evans crew. Why does he show his frustrations over the lack of transfer activity? The well informed evans crew should tell him something.

The pro-evans crew doesn't have any clue about the wage situation at Ipswich. They will just desperately stick up for him at every opportunity.
Last edited by Mach_Polish_Blue on Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:43 pm

hallamblue wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:53 pm
I see what you’re saying andym, but I think a critical difference for Town is we’ve already been into administration unlike many other Clubs who repeatedly flout the rules. So I’m not sure how that little nugget would affect any ruling should Evans dr used ( which I doubt he will), throw caution to the wind, and spend beyond our permissible levels at L1 level.
I'm certainly not suggesting we spend beyond the limits. It's be interesting to know how close we are to that limit. But failure to achieve promotion (and for the life of me I can't see us achieving that) will lead to even greater staffing/ wage reductions next season.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:59 pm

This is a moot point, delving down in to complexities helps no one when for obvious starters we have no idea what the wage situation is at the club (or any other club for that matter). There's no point finding little snippets to support points of view, the internet is full of the stuff, it doesn't settle arguments, it's just more fuel for fires, can we move on from squabbling yet?

We're not privy to finances, we're not privy to board plans, we're privy to bugger all frankly. I'm basing my opinion off things that I can see, the decline of the club, Mick McCarthy settling for mediocrity because he says there's no money, other clubs succeeding, other club's spending, their philosophies, players wanting to leave, players not being attracted here and most recently and most obvious in my mind Paul Lambert's comments and body language, they suggest he is being told one thing and another thing is happening, I don't like that, it's making me very uneasy.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:25 pm

I agree to a point but we are also not privy to just what has happened with Evans and said targets, has he spoken to agents? Players in question? Made them offers? Been turned down? Waiting on movement elsewhere? Or simply done bugger all ?

The fact of the matter is none of us know so to suggest Evans has done nothing and is swinging the lead is pure speculation yet again, what isn't speculation is the figures in the report as to what we can and cannot spend in certain areas, going gung ho this season and failing to go up would almost certainly hit us hard and in a serious way next season where the shackles are even tighter. Some would roll the dice and gamble, personally I think they are nuts and irresponsible but that's just me.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:44 pm

Just had a look at the EFL page.

It seems we would have had to send in a Pre-season SCMP submission by 21st JUNE :shock: 2019. Figures would be based on basis that the club would not make it beyond Round 1 of any cup (shouldn't be too difficult based on our previous seasons :lol: ). This would be followed by a Mid season submission by 13th December 2019 which could account (as i read it) for any upturn/ downturn in club finances i.e. a cup run, attendances due to league form.

As Ricco rightly says, none of us knows anything about wages and can therefore only speculate. However i just wonder how close to the wind we are sailing? Is there a risk of a transfer embargo looming, one which would not even allow us to register Freddie Sears new contract (had we waited until he proved his fitness in November)!

PL is a popular man amongst the majority of Town fans, and will want to retain that status. He is probably pretty clued up on issues, but why should he have to act as ME's mouthpiece? He is trying to cleverly (and rightly) force Marcus' hand. PL knows that any goodwill towards him and the team could very rapidly disappear following a early poor run of form. Any protests made against ME will be at PR will take us straight back to the darker days again. We end up losing a popular manager, team performances and morale suffer more and yes, we sink even further. But guess what, Marcus Evans will STILL remain in charge, because a buyer will be even harder to find.
So i ask this; Do we all agree to disagree? Do we concentrate solely on supporting the team we all love and see where a "together fan base" on match days can take this club. NEVER underestimate the power of positivity.
Just as a footnote, and something i am sure Hallam mentioned in another post, most of us (yes even the 'pro' Evans camp) do not really like a lot of what has happened under the stewardship of ME, and would probably jump at the tbought of a credible buyer taking over. However we would rather not think of the potential alternatives of ME pulling the plug!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:02 pm

Ricco wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:59 pm
This is a moot point, delving down in to complexities helps no one when for obvious starters we have no idea what the wage situation is at the club (or any other club for that matter). There's no point finding little snippets to support points of view, the internet is full of the stuff, it doesn't settle arguments, it's just more fuel for fires, can we move on from squabbling yet?

We're not privy to finances, we're not privy to board plans, we're privy to bugger all frankly. I'm basing my opinion off things that I can see, the decline of the club, Mick McCarthy settling for mediocrity because he says there's no money, other clubs succeeding, other club's spending, their philosophies, players wanting to leave, players not being attracted here and most recently and most obvious in my mind Paul Lambert's comments and body language, they suggest he is being told one thing and another thing is happening, I don't like that, it's making me very uneasy.
Rico I wasnt “trawling the internet” to try and “support” an argument.

It’s actually printed in today’s EADT and Evening Star, and is factual précis of the restraints Town will now face and not rumours or supposition. If it supports Evans approach, then maybe he’s (unfortunately) being responsible with the Club, not that I or many others actually like the fact that we aren’t bringing any players in. Maybe that’s why Lambert is cheesed off.
We are ALL cheesed off with our situation, and that’s why he says “ it is what it is”. There really is no conspiracy I think .

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:06 pm

AzzurroMark wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:44 pm
Just had a look at the EFL page.

It seems we would have had to send in a Pre-season SCMP submission by 21st JUNE :shock: 2019. Figures would be based on basis that the club would not make it beyond Round 1 of any cup (shouldn't be too difficult based on our previous seasons :lol: ). This would be followed by a Mid season submission by 13th December 2019 which could account (as i read it) for any upturn/ downturn in club finances i.e. a cup run, attendances due to league form.

As Ricco rightly says, none of us knows anything about wages and can therefore only speculate. However i just wonder how close to the wind we are sailing? Is there a risk of a transfer embargo looming, one which would not even allow us to register Freddie Sears new contract (had we waited until he proved his fitness in November)!

PL is a popular man amongst the majority of Town fans, and will want to retain that status. He is probably pretty clued up on issues, but why should he have to act as ME's mouthpiece? He is trying to cleverly (and rightly) force Marcus' hand. PL knows that any goodwill towards him and the team could very rapidly disappear following a early poor run of form. Any protests made against ME will be at PR will take us straight back to the darker days again. We end up losing a popular manager, team performances and morale suffer more and yes, we sink even further. But guess what, Marcus Evans will STILL remain in charge, because a buyer will be even harder to find.
So i ask this; Do we all agree to disagree? Do we concentrate solely on supporting the team we all love and see where a "together fan base" on match days can take this club. NEVER underestimate the power of positivity.
Just as a footnote, and something i am sure Hallam mentioned in another post, most of us (yes even the 'pro' Evans camp) do not really like a lot of what has happened under the stewardship of ME, and would probably jump at the tbought of a credible buyer taking over. However we would rather not think of the potential alternatives of ME pulling the plug!

You think you have summarised things very well, AM. We need to remain fully behind everyone at the Club. Divided , we fall as they say.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:18 pm

Bluemike wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:25 pm
I agree to a point but we are also not privy to just what has happened with Evans and said targets, has he spoken to agents? Players in question? Made them offers? Been turned down? Waiting on movement elsewhere? Or simply done bugger all ?
Quite and I'm not particularly critical of Evans at the moment, we are a relegated club and therefore shouldn't be spending millions to try and get back up, we should be cutting back on what we have.

My gripe is two things, firstly it seems like Lambert has outlined something he sees as important and Evans hasn't delivered on it. Maybe he didn't promise Lambert that he could, fair enough, maybe he tried hard and just couldn't get a deal through, fair enough, but Lambert has acted like he's not seeing eye to eye with Evans on the issue and I know who I trust, because, and this brings me on to my second point...

One frost doesn't make a winter, but the amount of frosty transfer windows we've had makes me agree with Donald Trump over global warming. That's why I'm not giving benefit of the doubt, because its not the first time we've been in this situation. If Evans comes out and says there's no money, we will continue to sell our best players and young talent so that we make smaller financial losses, then that's one thing, but if he's promising one thing and doing another, then there's a real problem there that can only continue to harm the club.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:21 pm

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:02 pm

It’s actually printed in today’s EADT and Evening Star, and is factual précis of the restraints Town will now face and not rumours or supposition. If it supports Evans approach, then maybe he’s (unfortunately) being responsible with the Club, not that I or many others actually like the fact that we aren’t bringing any players in. Maybe that’s why Lambert is cheesed off.
We are ALL cheesed off with our situation, and that’s why he says “ it is what it is”. There really is no conspiracy I think .
Absolutely, maybe he's even being reckless with his spending, but even Mick 'I'm comfortable just plodding along taking my pay check' McCarthy seemed to butt heads with those above him at every window.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:23 pm

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:21 am
Perhaps this might explain things more clearly for those who struggle with the complicated financial constraints đź‘Ť

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/salary-cos ... -1-6200132
Liz.
But when have FACTS ever been a good reason to believe in people when conspiracies always seem better if one shouts them loud enough.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:44 pm

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:21 pm

Absolutely, maybe he's even being reckless with his spending, but even Mick 'I'm comfortable just plodding along taking my pay check' McCarthy seemed to butt heads with those above him at every window.
It’s interesting though isnt it that Lambert is calling Evans out to be inclusive and transparent with the fans. I think conspiracy theories always start when there is poor communication. It’s up to Evans to come clean, even if we don’t like the truth.

I like Lambert. He’s passionate about the Club, and us fans ( we haven’t had that feeling of respect and appreciation from anyone at ITFC for years), and Evans would be a fool to let this man walk away from the Club, if it was within his power to stop that happening.

....Wolfie, sadly this is so true. And we see it in so many walks of life don’t we.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:46 pm

“Me and Marcus get on really well, I said to you yesterday, we get on really well,” Lambert said when asked about their post-match chat.

“He’ll say his bit, I say my bit and somewhere we’ll hopefully meet in the middle.

“He’s as frustrated as everybody else that we can’t get players or money’s too high or we can’t get anybody in. He’s frustrated, he’s the owner of the club, it’s his club but, as I said yesterday, the support at the football club is phenomenal, that’s an incredible plus, it’s a brilliant club, it really is, a really brilliant club, the supporters make the club.”

Did they discuss the transfer situation when they spoke on Friday? “It is what it is, you asked me that yesterday. He’s frustrated, I’m frustrated, I don’t like it, maybe he doesn’t like it, it is what it is, we can’t go and buy anybody, simple as, we just can’t do it.

“He’s one owner who has put a helluva lot of money into it and if he’s not got the money to do it, fine, totally fine, but tell the fans what’s going on, which I’m pretty sure he will do.
These comments from Lambert don't seem to suggest there is much of an issue between the pair of them, he seems to insinuate they are both feeling the same way. Lambert says "we can't buy anyone" not "we Won't buy anyone", Two completely different scenarios.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:24 pm

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:44 pm
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:21 pm

It’s interesting though isnt it that Lambert is calling Evans out to be inclusive and transparent with the fans. I think conspiracy theories always start when there is poor communication. It’s up to Evans to come clean, even if we don’t like the truth.

I like Lambert. He’s passionate about the Club, and us fans ( we haven’t had that feeling of respect and appreciation from anyone at ITFC for years), and Evans would be a fool to let this man walk away from the Club, if it was within his power to stop that happening.

....Wolfie, sadly this is so true. And we see it in so many walks of life don’t we.
I don't think your get a better manager than Paul Lambert. especially to get out of this league quick, very similar to Kenny Jacket when we were there.