Luton Town vs Ipswich Town (EFLC) Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we participate beyond the First Round?

Luton Win
58%
Ipswich Win
42%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 12

Frosty
Forum Owner

Luton Town vs Ipswich Town (EFLC) Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:52 am

Image Luton Town V Ipswich Town Image

Tuesday 12th August 2019 – 19:45

Kenilworth Road

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

Captain Calamity

Town's skipper Luke Chambers is a player that always divides opinion within the ranks of Tractor Boys fans, some see him as pivotal to the team for his experience on the pitch and his great leadership off it, while others see him as no more than a has been and a liability, one thing we can all agree on is that the error against Sunderland on Saturday was a howler right out of the top drawer and cannot be allowed to continue. There was a train of thought following the 1-0 win at Burton that the team should not be changed just to accomodate the captain and while I always knew in my head he would come back in I think it is fair to say those who felt we should stick with the same line up probably have a very good point now. Of course Chambo won't need telling he cost us Two points, he is never one to shy away from the truth and will no doubt have appologised to all his teammates after the game but with the emergence of Luke Woolfenden, the solid start by James Wilson and the impending return of Toto Nsiala are Chambo's days as a shoe in to start numbered ? Not to mention the fact we may just sign another new defender too to further give competition for places, he needs to up his game....

The game itself was pretty decent considering the windy conditions and the first half in particular saw Town dominate their opponents for much of the half, failure to take their chances ultimately proved costly but the general quality of our play was encouraging, if Sunderland are "the best" in the division I think we are in for a good season because for me we were better, despite them improving after the break they never looked capable of hurting us until the error and we still have about Seven or Eight first team regulars out injured, I think our squad is a lot stronger than most realise, but again we need them all fit.

In Flynn Downes we have a player who has started the season in superb form, Two games in a row I feel he has been the best player on the pitch, he goes about his business in a cool and assured way (part from the odd headbutt) and you can see the improvement in his game from last season, Cole Skuse made a comment a few days ago that Flynn will not be here long because he is destined for bigger things and while we as Town fans may not want to hear that I think it is spot on, we need to enjoy him while we can and he needs to continue in the same vein as the opening Two games.

Will We Ever Win A Cup Tie Again?

Tuesday sees us in cup action for the first time this season as we make another trip to Luton Town's quaint ground, (if that's the word) Kenilworth Road, didn't think we would be going their as underdogs any time soon but that is the way it is following their promotion to the Championship and our demise to league One. It could just be it suits us better and we have no pressure on us, much will depend on how serious Paul Lambert wants to take the Carabao Cup, personally from my point of view I think we should be going there to win and maintain the momentum we have drummed up so far this season. Clearly some fringe players will play and I can see the likes of Norris, Wilson, El Mizouni, Roberts, Dozzell and possibly Huws all getting a start, it would be nice to maybe see Gwion Edwards back in the squad too as he nears a return as we need some of the walking wounded back as soon as possible.

As for Luton Town they have started life in the Championship with a heartbreaking defeat away at Cardiff City which is hardly a disaster but the winning goal arriving in the 96th minute will have been tough to take. They really did do well last season to take the League One title when not many fancied them but the step up will be hard and it could be a brief excursion for them, that said they did look really good on the opening day at home to Middlesbrough where I thought going forward they were very good but defensively lacked a bit.

Looking at their team against Cardiff the names Cranie, Moncur, McManaman and Potts are all familiar while Town fans will need no introduction to James Bree & Ryan Tunnicliffe but again much depends on how seriously they take it, it could be they view this as a hindrance and rest a fair few players, should that be the case it could well be more even than the bookies have it. I am going to stick my neck out and say Town will pull off a bit of a giant killing to progress to the Second Round of the cup.

The Opposition Luton Town

Luton Town Football Club was formed on 11 April 1885, the product of a merger of the two leading local teams, Luton Town Wanderers and Excelsior. Initially based at Excelsior's Dallow Lane ground, the club began making payments to certain individual players in 1890. The following year, Luton became the first club in southern England to be fully professional.

The club was a founder member of the Southern Football League in the 1894–95 season. It then left to help form the United League before joining the Football League (then based mostly in northern and central England) for 1897–98, concurrently moving to a new ground at Dunstable Road. Poor attendance, high wages and the high travel and accommodation costs that resulted from Luton's distance from the northern heartlands of the Football League crippled the club financially, and made it too expensive to compete in that league. A return to the Southern League was therefore arranged for the 1900–01 season.

Eight years after arriving at Dunstable Road, Luton moved again, settling at their current ground, Kenilworth Road, in 1905.

After the First World War broke out, Luton took part in The London Combination during 1915–16, and afterwards filled each season with friendly matches.

The Luton side first played in the white and black colours which it has retained for much of its history during the 1920–21 season, when the club rejoined the Football League.

Luton stayed in the Third Division South until 1936–37, when the team finished top and won promotion to the Second Division, at that time the second tier of English football. During the promotion season, striker Joe Payne scored 55 goals in 39 games; during the previous season he had scored 10 in one match against Bristol Rovers, which remains a Football League record today.

During the early 1950s, one of Luton's greatest sides emerged under manager Dally Duncan. This team reached the top flight for the first time in 1955–56, after finishing the season in second place behind Birmingham City on goal average. A few years of success followed, including an FA Cup Final appearance against Nottingham Forest in 1958–59, at the end of the season. However, the club was relegated the following season and, by 1964–65, was playing in the fourth tier.

In yo-yo club fashion, Luton were to return and won the Fourth Division championship in 1967–68 ,two years later another promotion, while comedian Eric Morecambe became a director of the club.

Luton Town won promotion back to the First Division in 1973–74, but were relegated the following season by a solitary point. By 1982–83 the team was back in the top flight. The team which Pleat assembled at Kenilworth Road was notable at the time for the number of black players it included; during an era when many English squads were almost entirely white, Luton often fielded a mostly black team.

On the last day of the 1982–83 season, the club's first back in the top tier, it narrowly escaped relegation. The club achieved its highest ever league position, seventh, under John Moore in 1986–87, and, managed by Ray Harford, won the Football League Cup a year later with a win over Arsenal. The club reached the League Cup Final once more in 1988–89, but lost to Nottingham Forest.

The club was relegated from the top division at the end of the 1991–92 season, and sank to the third tier four years later. Luton stayed in the third-tier Second Division until relegation at the end of the 2000–01 season. Under the management of Joe Kinnear, who had arrived halfway through the previous season, the team won promotion from the fourth tier at the first attempt.

"Controversial" owner John Gurney unsettled the club in 2003, terminating Kinnear's contract on his arrival in May; Gurney replaced Kinnear with Mike Newell before leaving Luton as the club entered administration. Newell's team finished as champions of the rebranded third-tier Football League One in 2004–05.

The team was then relegated twice in a row, starting in 2006–07, and spent the latter part of the 2007–08 season in administration, thus incurring a ten-point deduction from that season's total. The club then had a total of 30 points docked from its 2008–09 record by the Football Association and the Football League for financial irregularities dating back several years. These deductions proved to be too large an obstacle to overcome, but Luton came from behind in the final of the Football League Trophy to win the competition for the first time.

Relegation meant that 2009–10 saw Luton playing in the Conference Premier, a competition which the club had never before participated in. The club unsuccessfully contested the promotion play-offs three times in four seasons during their time as a non-League club, employing five different managers.

In the 2013–14 season, under the management of John Still, Luton won the Conference Premier title with three games to spare, and thereby secured a return to the Football League from 2014–15.

After reaching the League Two play-offs in 2016–17, when they were beaten 6–5 on aggregate by Blackpool in the semi-final.

Luton were promoted back to League One the following season as runners-up.

Luton achieved a second successive promotion in 2018–19, after they won the League One title, marking the club's return to the Championship after a 12-year absence.

The Manager – Graeme Jones

Luton Last 2 Matches

2 Aug Luton Town 3 - 3 Middlesbrough

10 Aug Cardiff City 2 - 1 Luton Town

Ipswich Last 2 Matches

03 Aug Burton Albion 0 – 1 Ipswich Town

10 Aug Ipswich Town 1 – 1 Sunderland AFC

Match Referee – Brett Huxtable

LUTON TOWN 1 IPSWICH TOWN 0

nicscreamer

Re: Luton Town vs Ipswich Town (EFLC) Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by nicscreamer » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:36 am

A nasty ground in a nasty town. I was there for a game in the early 80s when butcher broke his nose very badly. We were attacked outside the ground, and as a young lad it scared the sh*te out of me. Take care , you travelling fans!

I’m going for a 1-1 draw and us to lose on penalties.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:44 am

If Wilson starts in this then we all know captain sh*te will start next Saturday :x

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:07 am

Think you need therapy Derick. 😂😂

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:20 am

nicscreamer wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:36 am
A nasty ground in a nasty town.
That's my home town you're insulting! 😂😂😂
I spent so many mostly happy hours at Kenilworth Road but left over 45 years ago.
I was tempted to go as the ground will soon hopefully be replaced - something that has been talked about for 50 years - but decided against it as the prospect of travelling to see two reserve teams put me off. I think the result very much friends on who fields the stronger team on the day..

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:40 am

Anybody else off here going ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:47 am

Always start by saying great preview, (and yes, great preview)...... but I was then going to say after reading the words in orange, “you gotta applaud Luton on their battling history to get back to where they are” ....... then I read Nics post. Battling might be the wrong word to use! :lol: Late 70s / early 80s football for the youngsters was indeed scary sh*t at times. Up here in Scotland too. :shock:

A cup upset for the championship side could be on the cards and I suppose that’ll depend on how serious Lambert takes the game. A lot of tier 3 & 4 teams usually do make it past this round.
Got to assume no one will really care too much if Ipswich go out. All eyes on the way more important Posh game no doubt.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:55 am

Andym wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:20 am
nicscreamer wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:36 am
A nasty ground in a nasty town.
That's my home town you're insulting! 😂😂😂
I spent so many mostly happy hours at Kenilworth Road but left over 45 years ago.
I was tempted to go as the ground will soon hopefully be replaced - something that has been talked about for 50 years - but decided against it as the prospect of travelling to see two reserve teams put me off. I think the result very much friends on who fields the stronger team on the day..
I apologise whole heartedly... but maintain my original position 😂😂😂

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:11 pm

Ando wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:07 am
For what? Being absolutely correct on Chambers abilities and the fact he has started this season in the same way he played last season. :roll:

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:20 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:11 pm
Ando wrote:
For what? Being absolutely correct on Chambers abilities and the fact he has started this season in the same way he played last season. :roll:
Just fear for your sanity and blood pressure 👍

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:32 pm

Ando wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:20 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:11 pm
Ando wrote:
Just fear for your sanity and blood pressure 👍
It's PL sanity that is the issue. Why play the pr*ck in the first place? :shock:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:22 pm

Four votes and all in favor of an opposition win, why not surprised. They're right too. Every year about now this damn competition comes about and you realize ahead of time the team won't achieve a thing in it. Granted it's a trivialized piece of crap trophy but all the same have always wanted to see it included to our already existing achievements. Be a long day in January before that comes to pass.

Don't even know who the holders are, last seasons finalists or even those in the immediate years before it. Perhaps tells you something about the apathy or insignificance of this particular endeavor. Would like to progress and reach the later rounds but you know how it's going to be.

Luton 2 Ipswich 0

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:20 am

Just as a thought...… who would start Chambers in this game??? I think I would. Give him the ole -- "Ok boss, show me what you can do after Saturdays f*ck up "

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:37 am

Yes he will play I reckon, alongside Wilson.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:50 am

Is Wilson ok after Burton? Wasn't sure how his injury was... Assuming it was minor.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:26 am

He just had cramp

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:02 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:37 am
I do hope he starts, he won't play Saturday if he does, PL wont have him playing 3 in a week at 34.

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:18 pm

no chance am i going to that shithole :

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/l ... e-16378464

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Only experience of Luton. We were in a Premier Inn next to the airport. The two stepsons wanted to head to Thorpe Park but I wasn’t drivinb in the traffic so we got the train. When back in Luton around 10pm and walking back up the hill to the premier inn, a car drove past packed with about 6 teenagers, all hanging out the window shouting “AAAAAARHH, AAAAARGH!!!”
Youngest stepson, “haha, they were cool!”
Me, “yep. Let’s walk faster!” 😳

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:30 pm

Quasar wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:18 pm

I see there nearly all heavy populated migrant areas, old saying you reap what you sow, we can thank our previous labour government under Blair and Brown for over 2 million of this influx, and of course the bloody EU's freedom of movement, of which we lost control of checking them in the correct manor

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:54 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:30 pm
Quasar wrote:

I see there nearly all heavy populated migrant areas, old saying you reap what you sow, we can thank our previous labour government under Blair and Brown for over 2 million of this influx, and of course the bloody EU's freedom of movement, of which we lost control of checking them in the correct manor
I left Luton over 45 years ago. In our street (where there was never any trouble) we were by then the only English family. There were Irish, Scots, Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese.... Elsewhere there was a big West Indian community. Not sure about now but none of these were from the EU. I think the Brexit brigade who want to control immigration ignore the fact that the majority of immigrants are from outside the EU and could have been controlled.....except we need those doctors, nurses, ....

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:34 pm

I can think of 1000s of English people I'd like to get f**king shot of too tbh.

As for Luton, went to the game last season (or was it season before) and while it was indeed "spot the Englishman" I felt no hostility or unsafe at all, that said I will take a jkt this time in case the shirt needs covering up for the walk back to the car should we somehow win lol.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:16 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:02 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:37 am
I do hope he starts, he won't play Saturday if he does, PL wont have him playing 3 in a week at 34.
He will, just to spite you, if he gets wind of how upset you would be about it Derick :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:18 pm

Andym wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:54 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:30 pm
Quasar wrote:

I left Luton over 45 years ago. In our street (where there was never any trouble) we were by then the only English family. There were Irish, Scots, Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese.... Elsewhere there was a big West Indian community. Not sure about now but none of these were from the EU. I think the Brexit brigade who want to control immigration ignore the fact that the majority of immigrants are from outside the EU and could have been controlled.....except we need those doctors, nurses, ....
“They come dan ‘ere, take all the fkn jobs, ......!”

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:18 pm

f*ck, if this gets into a Brexit debate im leaving this forum!!!! I get my fill of Brexit bollocks from Twitter … lets leave it be on here please.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:25 pm

You can’t leave when “After a fashion” are about to hit the main stage! Is Nick (screamer) Heyward in the House????!

LETS GO....... hoping you all have a .. 👏👏👏👍👍👍🤘🤘🤘

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBEg8sVwDGQ

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:33 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:25 pm
You can’t leave when “After a fashion” are about to hit the main stage! Is Nick (screamer) Heyward in the House????!

LETS GO....... hoping you all have a .. 👏👏👏👍👍👍🤘🤘🤘

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBEg8sVwDGQ
Ha ha ha you diamond Marko.... Im not leaving just yet.... only threatening to, without a deal, if people start talking about Brexshit

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:55 pm

I'll be with you Nic

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:27 pm

I've got my ticket and am looking forward to the game. I hope PL plays a team to win. I'd like to see El Mizouni start. HE looked terrific in the 10 minutes he was on the pitch in the Burton match. I suspect Mike is right and he'll play Chambers - I think he'll leave Downes and Woolfendon out , rested for Saturday. Possible start for Dozzell? Huws and Judge to get more game time (as subs).

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:12 am

We won there in 2017 in the league cup, Mcgoldrick scored twice. Will we do it again, i doubt it and to be honest we need to concentrate on getting out of this league.