Luke Garbutt out for a month

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Mach_Polish_Blue

Luke Garbutt out for a month

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:19 pm

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

One of the best positives from the first 2 league games and this is a big blow. Having been dominated by Luton reserves tonight (expected better from the likes of Judge, Huws or Dozzell given how some have been raving about the latter for the last 2 years) and to top that up this Garbutt news :evil:

AylesburyBlue

Re: Luke Garbutt out for a month

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:33 am

Dozzell does one good pass every 3 games and gets raved about. Bloody hopeless. He’s still a boy, should take his career seriously and get in the f**king gym.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:34 am

Yeah horrible, let's hope it is literally a month and not something that rumbles on or reoccurs like the rest of the injuries in last few years.

Didn't really see the game, but Judge and Huws are meant to be high level championship quality, being part of a team turned over by Luton is a bit worrying. Dozzell I've always thought is 95% hype, not seen enough of him really, but doesn't look great.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:46 am

I’m stunned that there’s so much interest in Dozzell. He’s never ran a game and he just looks good in brief classy cameos. With his reputation that he’s somehow got, he should be a regular in a League 1 team. Just a benchwarmer for me until he strengthens and starts putting consistent form together. El Mizouni and Dobra are likely to overtake him. Downes has already done that.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:32 pm

I've always been of the opinion Dozzell could be the real deal but he's running out of chances with me too now, doesn't ever take a game by the scruff of the neck.

Huws played his first full game last night so wouldn't read too much into that , Judge on the other hand has been bigged up since he arrived and for me flatters to deceive every game, I am not overly impressed with him so far.

I think we need to realise we are a League One side and Luton are a championship side so whether we like it or not their reserve side should dominate our reserve side, just the way it is now, hardly a shock.

Garbutt has been a bright spot of the season so another bit of cruel luck, nobody's fault or any conspiracy theory etc, just rank bad luck

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:32 pm
I've always been of the opinion Dozzell could be the real deal but he's running out of chances with me too now, doesn't ever take a game by the scruff of the neck.

Huws played his first full game last night so wouldn't read too much into that , Judge on the other hand has been bigged up since he arrived and for me flatters to deceive every game, I am not overly impressed with him so far.

I think we need to realise we are a League One side and Luton are a championship side so whether we like it or not their reserve side should dominate our reserve side, just the way it is now, hardly a shock.

Garbutt has been a bright spot of the season so another bit of cruel luck, nobody's fault or any conspiracy theory etc, just rank bad luck
You've hit the nail on the head, Mike. Like it or not, we are a league 1 side and I think a lot of people either don't or won't accept that..

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:52 pm

I’ve never rated Andre Dozzell and any club considering paying more than £1m for him would be seriously risking their money.

On the other hand Luke Garbutt for the same money would be a risk worth taking based on what we’ve seen in the first two games, early days I know but what I saw with my own eyes at Burton was enough to know that he is the real deal especially at this level and probably the one above (Championship). He reminded me a little of Johnny Wark how he pushes forward, getting himself into goal scoring situations and willing to shoot at every opportunity.

We will definitely miss Garbutt during his absence and he won’t be easy to replace, Huws is probably our best chance if he can stay fit, but for me he doesn’t appear to have the same drive as Garbutt based on what I’ve seen which I accept isn’t as much as some of you other guys.

What his absence will do is put pressure on others to start scoring, I just hope they step up and make a start on Saturday at Peterborough.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:41 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:47 pm

You've hit the nail on the head, Mike. Like it or not, we are a league 1 side and I think a lot of people either don't or won't accept that..
Like it or not, it doesn't mean we have to accept that. Why should we?

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:51 pm

barmy billy wrote:
I think that goes out the window a bit when it comes to cups, for years we've been beaten by League 1 and 2 clubs in these games! Besides, they're 3rd or 4th favourite for the drop and we're 3rd or 4th favourite for promotion, it's hardly Prem vs Sunday league. I'm getting sick of this "we're a league 1 club" crap already, I know we are, I'm not going to fall off my chair with surprise at that statement, doesn't mean I can't be concerned at a result or performance.

For me it's more that that is the strongest side we have put out for a cup for years, at least 6 or 7 of the players would have made the first team last year in our "Championship side" and Luton played 0 of their first team "Championship players" in this. We were comprehensively beaten.

No it doesn't really matter, no I don't really care, no I'm not particularly critical of management or players, but I am disappointed, so sue me.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:57 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:41 pm
barmy billy wrote:

Like it or not, it doesn't mean we have to accept that. Why should we?
You should accept it because it is reality. For whatever reason it is where we have ended up and to harp on about this & that & generally bemoaning our luck is I think pointless. You may as well just sit back & enjoy League 1 football. For the time being ITFC has found its level. All the nostalgia about past glories, etc count for nothing I'm afraid.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:04 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:57 pm
You should accept it because it is reality. For whatever reason it is where we have ended up and to harp on about this & that & generally bemoaning our luck is I think pointless. You may as well just sit back & enjoy League 1 football. For the time being ITFC has found its level. All the nostalgia about past glories, etc count for nothing I'm afraid.
I can remember similar things being said when we dropped to the Championship, I'm not sure if it's the point that Mach is making, but if you accept something then you'll just sit there and stagnate, ask Mick McCarthy about that.

If you aim high, then of course there is a chance you will fail, but there is also a chance you will succeed. Accepting mediocrity is guaranteeing yourself mediocrity at best. If you've ever been part of a successful team you'll know how important it is to have a carrot dangling in front of you to get after, remove that carrot and accept things... there is only one way you'll go.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:31 pm

I don't think anyone is accepting that is the level we aspire to now, what is being said is that this is the level we are at now, it is as clear as day that PL had no interest in winning that game last night, if he had all the bench would have started, that is fact, so would Norwood, instead we gave starts to Two academy players and Josh Emmanuel who is in from the cold, Huws playing his first game for the best part of 18 Months and no strikers on the pitch, it says it all, of course I am not happy we lost, I did drag my arse down there after all but I think to delve to much into this defeat is a bit pointless as it was always likely to happen.

Our bread and butter has to be the League and on both occasions this season we have done pretty well and should be on Two wins but for an almighty clanger, should we turn in a poor performance at Peterborough then yes I would be disappointed but this means little, just the same as it meant little to Barnsley, Huddersfield, Middlesbrough, Bolton, Charlton, Birmingham, Doncaster to name but a few, they all lost to lower league teams by the way, we didn't. This cup means nothing to anyone (except maybe Norwich) and results and team selections year on year prove this, we used last night as an opportunity to give some game time and others to step up their fitness, not ideal I grant you but hardly surprising.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:23 pm

Shame this thread has lost its way, 12 posts and only three refer to Luke Garbutt’s injury, the rest about losing to Luton and how crap the team performance was.

Are there only the three of us concerned that Garbutt will be missing for a month, maybe longer ?

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:56 pm

I am concerned about garbutt, but as with everything on this site at the moment, this thread has descended into a spat about how the club is run. It’s getting tiresome now,....

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:34 pm

Exactly

I did make reference to Garbutt on my first post.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:41 pm

Gutted to lose Garbutt, has evidently been our biggest threat and high on confidence. Judge will need to pull his finger out.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:46 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:41 pm
Gutted to lose Garbutt, has evidently been our biggest threat and high on confidence. Judge will need to pull his finger out.
Hey! Come on now, Aylesbury, FFS! Take it to the "Judge needs to pull his finger out" thread! Jaysus man!

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:48 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:46 pm
AylesburyBlue wrote:
Hey! Come on now, Aylesbury, FFS! Take it to the "Judge needs to pull his finger out" thread! Jaysus man!
That should have gone in the AylesburyBlue thread

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:39 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:34 pm
Exactly

I did make reference to Garbutt on my first post.
You sure did Mike, but your thread got high jacked like so many others that just get dragged into how sh*t we are.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:40 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:46 pm
AylesburyBlue wrote:
🤪🤨🤣

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:39 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:39 pm
You sure did Mike, but your thread got high jacked like so many others that just get dragged into how sh*t we are.
To be fair, there's only so much you can say about a 1 month injury, it's not particularly devastating, and it's a bit harsh starting a new thread labelled "Dozzell needs to knuckle down and sort his attitude out"!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:50 pm

It could’ve been so much worse for Garbutt. Could’ve been like my borderline suicidal best man who’s just off the phone.,....
“Garbutt out for a month, looking at bathroom wet-wall panelling with the Mrs.”

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:26 pm

barmy billy wrote:

Just because you accept the current situation it doesn't mean I 'should'. We know who we can thank for taking the club to the current level but as the people have pointed out it isn't a thread for this.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:14 am

Ricco wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:39 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:39 pm
To be fair, there's only so much you can say about a 1 month injury, it's not particularly devastating, and it's a bit harsh starting a new thread labelled "Dozzell needs to knuckle down and sort his attitude out"!
If you started the thread you elude to it would run for weeks !... is it harsh or realistic, that should create a stir.

As for our only goalscorer in our first two League One games probably missing the next five not being devastating, maybe not, but it could prove pretty costly if none of his team mates step up to the plate.

Had Garbutt not started the season so well i guess it wouldn’t be an issue, however given how well he has played and how important his contribution has been we now have to hope he comes back from injury in the same form and doesn’t lose confidence whilst not playing.

It’s just another injury we could have really done without.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:27 am

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:26 pm
barmy billy wrote:

Just because you accept the current situation it doesn't mean I 'should'. We know who we can thank for taking the club to the current level but as the people have pointed out it isn't a thread for this.
Mach, we all know your feelings about Evans, but what do you recommend the course of action? Demonstrations, revolt, toxicity, no shows? It’s not like fans haven’t voiced their feelings.... it’s been said time and time again to the point where it loses its impact and becomes monotonous and ... a bit depressing.

I’m happy for now to see how we start in this division. I’m hopeful we’ll compete at the right end of the table and we’ll start to enjoy the football. I just think many just want to get back to enjoying the football side again, even if it’s in League 1.

If things don’t go well, then I’m sure the knives will come out and Evans will be feeling a lot of heat and you will be proven right. Bit early for that though IMO.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:07 am

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:27 am
If things don’t go well, then I’m sure the knives will come out and Evans and you could be proven right
Two things,...... you are very correct that unrest for prolonged periods can be monotonous and depressing and it can get to a point where the amalgamation of the voices just becomes “noise”....... and no one is heard. Etc etc.

Must say though, (and this is NOT flogging a dead horse) this is a discussion thread and MPB has been expressing serious concerns over Mevans for years. Not sure if you were a member of the forum a few years back when MPB was continually saying things like, “When will the fans be happy, when ITFC are in League One?”
The ONLY reason I’m bringing this up is because, essentially, he’s already been proved right, and he’s very pi$$ed off about it. More recently he posted “......., League Two, worse?”
My own buddy in late August 2018 said, “You buy League One, you GO to League One.”..... and I posted that on here last August. He too was also proved right.

Regardless of what any situation is in life and how to sort it etc etc etc bla bla bla......, if you blatantly feel that you see a problem, and it all starts materialising and unfolding , ——-> that’s highly irritating. Yes, there are ways to do things, ie, organise rallies etc, but I suppose, all that anyone can do with a forum is type up how you see things.

Can’t speak for everyone, but I’d rather hear people’s woes regarding the club and maybe try and offer some snippets of uplifting sh*t....., personally prefer Mach’s rants to car parking in Peterborough posts! :D

Cue forum member:

“I can’t afford the train, Marko, and I NEED to take my car, so just STFU cos I need to know where to park. f**king transport racist!”

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:10 am

tangfastic wrote:
Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
barmy billy wrote:

Mach, we all know your feelings about Evans, but what do you recommend the course of action? Demonstrations, revolt, toxicity, no shows? It’s not like fans haven’t voiced their feelings.... it’s been said time and time again to the point where it loses its impact and becomes monotonous and ... a bit depressing.

I’m happy for now to see how we start in this division. I’m hopeful we’ll compete at the right end of the table and we’ll start to enjoy the football. I just think many just want to get back to enjoying the football side again, even if it’s in League 1.

If things don’t go well, then I’m sure the knives will come out and Evans will be feeling a lot of heat and you will be proven right. Bit early for that though IMO.
Tang please re-read what people have pointed at. This thread is about something else.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 am

I just wish we could get away from slagging Evans off for a while and simply enjoy the football whilst it lasts.

24,000 fans at our first home game, 3000 & 4000 travelling fans for our first two away games, glimpses of much more entertaining football and most of our fans are feeling happier again, not ecstatic, simply 😊.

We are where we are and we all know the reasons why, but let’s enjoy the moment and start looking forward not backwards.

..and just a further thought, if Evans pulled the plug and walked away, we’d join Bury and Bolton and that most certainly wouldn’t make fans happy.

I guess that puts Luke Garbutt’s one month absence into context, we’ll get over it and still be here when he returns.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:30 am

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:10 am
tangfastic wrote:
Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:

Tang please re-read what people have pointed at. This thread is about something else.
You've lost me I am afraid.

My original comment was made in response to one Mike had made. It was just my opinion & aimed at no-one in particular.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:43 am

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 am
I just wish we could get away from slagging Evans off for a while and simply enjoy the football whilst it lasts.
The point that Mach is making, is that there was no mention of Evans in this thread until tang and now you.

Not arguing particularly, I agree we should try and stay away from negativity, but jumping on everything that is negative and saying it is an attack on Evans is not right either. We lost a match, who really cares, no one really, is it fair to talk about some of the players or mentality involved? Sure. Even if it's negative? Sure.