Luton Town vs Ipswich Town (EFLC) Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we participate beyond the First Round?

Luton Win
58%
Ipswich Win
42%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 12

derick_ipsw

Re: Luton Town vs Ipswich Town (EFLC) Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:45 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:35 pm
nicscreamer wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:08 am
How did Chambo play last night? If Wilson was sh*te, then Chambo HAS to start Saturday.

What I do hope for, is some goals from Norwood and Jackson. I feel once they hit the net, they will start getting more and more. The longer they don't score the harder it will get
Chambers was ok, nothing more nothing less, aside from Dobra you can't rave about anyone, Rowe was ok, the rest average at best.
Didn't Norris play well? Certainly from the highlights he was not at fault for any of the goals.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:48 pm

Hard to judge on last night but didn't do it for me tbh but it's one game

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:29 pm

I’m disappointed that we don’t take these early season opportunities to get competitive match practice and get players used to playing together and building team spirit and cohesion. It’s these sort of performances that rock player confidence and motivation when they realise how crap they are, whereas some individuals dropped into a better line up may well have performed better.

What this result really highlights is how shallow our squad is and how difficult it will be to cope with any/many more injury set backs.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:06 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:29 pm

What this result really highlights is how shallow our squad is and how difficult it will be to cope with any/many more injury set backs.
That's very true but I suspect an inevitable result of dropping down a level. The need to keep the wage bill down to meet the allowed financial requirements means a smaller squad and even then to have a significant part of the squad on low wages, i.e. inexperienced. It doesn't help that we have started the season with a significant number of injuries hanging over from last season.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:21 pm

I’m sure you’re absolutely right Andy, maybe we need a little more luck with our injuries this season than we have in the past, although our starting position hasn’t been brilliant.

Maybe our players fitness levels and strength is something that the coaches need to monitor closely to reduce the chances of training injuries.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:47 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:07 pm
:D This the result I wanted, get out of this tin pot cup and concentrate on the league, and going by this performance PL certainly needs another 3 players in to strengthen our squad, looks like and I hope Wilson will be back in the defence against Peterborough, as Chambers played tonight, lets get back to normal now and thrash the posh COYB
It may have been a result you wanted BS but I bet you also wanted some encouraging news given our squad last night. Yes it was reserves v reserves but we had Judge, Huws, 'captain marvel' Chambers and the 'prodigy' in Dozzell. Hardly any positives about them from this game so this is arguably the most disappointing aspect.

Had it been a Luton first team it would have been a massacre. But it was 'only' their reserves that outplayed ours. Full of new signings, kind of random Luton team and they still battered us.

How far we've fallen that our ambition nowadays is to be on the par with Luton! With Luton :evil: :evil: :evil:

Lambert has said 3 weeks ago that he needs another 3 players but sod all has been done to help him out. Hardly surprising though.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:25 pm

Judging by your :evil: :evil: :evil: , you’ve made me think of the QPR fan shouting about Port Vale, MPB.

Replace Port Vale with Luton! 👍

https://youtu.be/tTFOncppkJg

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:40 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:25 pm
Judging by your :evil: :evil: :evil: , you’ve made me think of the QPR fan shouting about Port Vale, MPB.

Replace Port Vale with Luton! 👍

https://youtu.be/tTFOncppkJg
That was a one-off game. I'm talking about the league pyramid and how far we've fallen.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:47 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:47 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:07 pm
:D This the result I wanted, get out of this tin pot cup and concentrate on the league, and going by this performance PL certainly needs another 3 players in to strengthen our squad, looks like and I hope Wilson will be back in the defence against Peterborough, as Chambers played tonight, lets get back to normal now and thrash the posh COYB
It may have been a result you wanted BS but I bet you also wanted some encouraging news given our squad last night. Yes it was reserves v reserves but we had Judge, Huws, 'captain marvel' Chambers and the 'prodigy' in Dozzell. Hardly any positives about them from this game so this is arguably the most disappointing aspect.

Had it been a Luton first team it would have been a massacre. But it was 'only' their reserves that outplayed ours. Full of new signings, kind of random Luton team and they still battered us.

How far we've fallen that our ambition nowadays is to be on the par with Luton! With Luton :evil: :evil: :evil:

Lambert has said 3 weeks ago that he needs another 3 players but sod all has been done to help him out. Hardly surprising though.
Huws and judge who have had a lot of time out or no pre season getting game time is a positive (whilst there individual performances may not have been)....Wilson getting more minutes is a positive for those who want Chambo out (I wouldn’t object to him being booted out for Saturday).

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:32 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:47 pm

Huws and judge who have had a lot of time out or no pre season getting game time is a positive (whilst there individual performances may not have been)....Wilson getting more minutes is a positive for those who want Chambo out (I wouldn’t object to him being booted out for Saturday).
Let's be honest Tom it is highly unlikely that Chambers would be booted out. It's just really irritating that he still has an automatic place in the team and doesn't need to fight for his place.

There is always a mistake in him for my liking. I'll be anxious at Peterborough on Saturday every time he has the ball.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:10 am

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:32 pm
AylesburyBlue wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:47 pm

Let's be honest Tom it is highly unlikely that Chambers would be booted out. It's just really irritating that he still has an automatic place in the team and doesn't need to fight for his place.

There is always a mistake in him for my liking. I'll be anxious at Peterborough on Saturday every time he has the ball.
I think Paul Lambert knows exactly what he’s doing, and if/when Chambo becomes a liability I’m pretty sure he’ll no longer be an automatic pick. One costly error alone won’t necessarily see him dropped especially when his leadership qualities are taken into account, however if costly errors become a regular occurrence I have no doubt Lambert will be strong enough to drop him.