Peterborough United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

2nd away win of the season?

Peterborough Win
13%
Ipswich Win
60%
Draw
27%

Total votes: 15

Frosty
Forum Owner

Peterborough United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:07 pm

Image Peterborough United vs Ipswich Town Image

Saturday 17th August 2019 – 15:00

London Road Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Still No Cup Joy

Town's latest cup exploits turned out to be yet another bitterly disappointing affair with the game pretty much over as a contest inside Twenty minutes as the home side went Two up without breaking sweat. Again some of the defending left a lot to be desired, the marking for the first was non existent and for me young Josh Emmanuel looked all at sea as the cross came into an area which for me he should have been covering, then minutes later he was caught out and adjudged to have fouled the Luton player inside the box to give Luton a penalty from which they converted.

To be fair to Josh nobody came out of this one with any credit and more senior players really didn't do themselves justice, a Midfield comprising of Huws, Dozzell, Judge and Edwards should at least be good enough to compete but it just didn't happen, I still think Lambert saw this as an opportunity to blood some returning players and youngsters and as such wasn't worried about progressing at all. It wasn't all doom and gloom though as young Dobra did himself no harm with a encouraging debut which was capped off with a goal, he certainly looked like he could well play a part in the coming months.

Back To The Bread & Butter

This Saturday sees Town return to the important stuff with a trip to Peterborough United, we will be hoping to build on the promising start to the League campaign having picked up Four points from Two very tricky games, of course it should be Two wins but enough has been said on the subject of Chambo's howler which robbed us of a deserved win and Two precious points.

The posh have spent big by League One standards but so far have failed to get their League campaign up and running as yet, Two defeats were followed up with defeat in the cup on Tuesday so they are clearly finding it hard to get the new look side to gel, Town's line up will be much changed from Tuesday and it could be a very good time to be visiting London Road, with over 4000 Tractor Boys and girls making the trip it will feel like a home game for the players and the atmosphere will be electric, hopefully the players will respond in a positive manner and bring home another Three valuable points.

Why So Much Doom And Gloom

I am finding hard to understand why there appears to be a fair degree of doom and gloom among a section of our fans, given that we've started life in League One in a positive way it has come as a bit of a surprise to me, a massive crowd against Sunderland, unbeaten in Two games, playing decent football, plenty of players still to return, surely the situation is positive for a change?

I think the lack of transfer activity is a big factor in some fans thinking and this was probably compounded by the poor display at Luton but I can't help but think this is focusing on the negatives for the sake of it, not that it's good but we never win damn cup games and we still have time for additions, in fact only today it looks like good old Marcus is parting with half a Million for the Colchester Fullback, hopefully there will be one or Two more to follow.

For now lets get behind the team and focus on Peterborough, 4000 all pulling in the same direction can make a massive difference, the home side will be desperate to break their duck for the season but I think Town could well come out on top, I certainty don't see us coming home empty handed. Narrow away win for me. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Peterborough United

Peterborough United formed in 1934 at Peterborough's Angel Hotel to provide a replacement for Peterborough & Fletton United, who had folded two years previously. The Posh played in the old Midland League. They won this league on six occasions, including five seasons in a row from 1956 to 1960. The Posh were elected to The Football League for the beginning of the 1960–61 season, winning Division Four.

Following the Fourth Division Championship success in 1960–61, The Posh spent seven seasons in the 3rd Division. They reached the quarter-finals of the 1964–65 FA Cup, beating Arsenal and Swansea Town along the way before going out to Chelsea. They were relegated back to the 4th Division for financial irregularities in the summer of 1968. The club took six seasons to return to Division 3, winning the 4th Division championship.

In 1977–78 the club threatened to go one better until they narrowly missed out on promotion to Division 2 when they drew the last game of the season at champions Wrexham (0–0) when a win was needed to go up. The game was notable for the fact that over 2,000 Preston North End fans travelled to Wrexham to watch the game and cheer on the home side – Preston were the club who went up because Peterborough did not win. The Wrexham defeat cast a long shadow over the club and it fell into a long decline. Relegation followed in 1979 and Posh subsequently spent 12 years back in the 4th division. The 1980s was a long story of mismanagement and false dawns, punctuated by the odd cup run.

In January 1991, Chris Turner, who had played in the 1974 Fourth division championship team took over as manager and the team embarked on a run of 13 unbeaten games that propelled them into the top four. Six players were signed on transfer deadline day, which at the time was a record for the number of players signed by one club on a single day. On the final day of the season, Posh travelled to Chesterfield needing a win to seal promotion. Despite going two goals down in the first ten minutes, the team rallied and drew level with goals from David Robinson and George Berry. However, Posh's closest rivals, Blackpool lost at Walsall and promotion was achieved.

The following season arguably remains the most successful in the club's history. After an inconsistent start the team hit form during the Autumn when they knocked Wimbledon and Newcastle United out of the League Cup. The reward was a home tie with a Liverpool. Garry Kimble scored the only goal after 19 minutes prompting wild celebrations and a place in the quarter-finals. In the league, the team went from strength to strength and surged up the table. Middlesbrough ended the League Cup run after a replay and there was further disappointment when the team missed out on a trip to Wembley in the Football League Trophy when they lost to Stoke City over two legs in the area final.

Progress continued in the league and a play-off place was clinched on the last day of the season despite a 1–0 defeat to champions Brentford. The following week, Huddersfield Town came to London Road for the first leg of the Semi-final. Captain Mick Halsall's last minute equaliser levelled the score at 2–2. Three days later, the supporters travelled north more in hope than expectation but they were rewarded when the team came from a goal down to win 2–1 with Worrell Sterling and Steve Cooper scoring the goals. On 24 May 1992, Peterborough United played at Wembley for the first time, against Stockport County in the Third Division playoff final. With Posh winning 2–1 and gaining promotion to the new First division. They played in Football League Division One between 1992 and 1994 and finished 10th, their highest ever league finish, in 1992–93 season.

During the 2005–06 season the club had three managers: Team owner Barry Fry returned to management following former England international Mark Wright's sacking in January 2006. Wright's assistant Steve Bleasdale was then appointed acting manager, but resigned in April. Keith Alexander joined as manager from Lincoln City for 2006–07 but was sacked in January 2007 after a run of poor form and was replaced by Darren Ferguson. He led the club to back-to-back promotions from League Two to the Championship in his two full seasons in charge. By November 2009 Posh were bottom of the Championship and Ferguson left the club, to be replaced by Mark Cooper. In February 2010, after only 13 games in charge, Cooper also left the club and Jim Gannon was appointed in his place. Following confirmation of relegation from the Championship after a 2–2 draw at Barnsley, Gannon was replaced by Gary Johnson.

Gary Johnson left the club on 10 January 2011 due to policy disagreement. Two days after Johnson's departure, Darren Ferguson returned to the club on a four and a half-year contract. Peterborough finally finished 4th in 2010-11 Football League One with one of the worst defensive records in the third tier, conceding over 70 goals, but scoring 106; the most for anybody in the Football League that season. Peterborough beat Milton Keynes Dons in the playoff semi-finals. They defeated Huddersfield Town in the Final with a 3–0 victory, and gained promotion back to the Championship.

Darren Ferguson led the team to safety in its first season back in the Championship, leading to a finish in 18th. However, the Posh were relegated back the following season, after losing to Crystal Palace 3–2 on 4 May 2013, the final match of the season.

Darren Ferguson ended his time as Peterborough United manager on 21 February 2015, following a 3–0 defeat at Milton Keynes Dons.

Over the proceeding League 1 seasons Peterborough finished 9th in the 2014/15 season, 13th in the 2015/16 season, 11th in the 2016/17 season, 9th in the 2017/18 season and 7th last season.

Ferguson was re-appointed as manager on 26 January 2019 for the third time with a deal agreed until the end of season after the dismissal of Steve Evans, with Gavin Strachan as his assistant.

The Manager – Darren Ferguson

Form Guide

Peterborough United Last 2 Matches – currently in 21st place with 0 points

3 Aug Peterborough 1 - 3 Fleetwood

10 Aug Oxford Utd 1 - 0 Peterborough

Ipswich Last 2 Matches – currently in 6th place with 4 points

3 Aug Burton Albion 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

10 Aug Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Sunderland

Marko’s Caption Competition -THE DON CUP

Another superb week of captions with the Jack Ross photo. Third week upon us and have a go at Sir Eck’s lad, Daz Ferguson.

Match Referee – Martin Coy

PETERBOROUGH UNITED 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1

Mach_Polish_Blue

Re: Peterborough United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:09 pm

It will be my 4th visit to Peterborough, the place where I've had one of the biggest footballing horrors of my life. Yes, this is 'that' game which stands out. Almost exactly 8 years ago a harrowing 1-7 defeat, Paul Taylor has probably had a game of his life for them. 4 goals conceded within 12 first half minutes. An awfulness of the Jewell era. One of many humiliating defeats we had to suffer under him. Apart from Hurst the worst ever Ipswich manager. That 1-7 defeat followed 2-5 loss to Southampton, 12 goals conceded in 2 games :roll: Long journey back home after the game, totally embarrassed.

I have no clue what to expect on Saturday. The main reason of that is astonishingly bad start of the season from Peterborough. Quite surprising given the squad they possess. Wonder what formation we're going to play following Garbutt's injury.

4000 Town fans, this is going to be really nice.

1-1 is my prediction but it could go either way to be honest.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:23 am

Another nice preview. Reminded me of a "Hatch" preview from back in the day for some reason.

No way can Paul Lambert allow this team to be defeated by a Darren Ferguson team. Can't happen. The 4000 travelling support can certainly do their bit to make sure that doesn't happen. Fancy a 0-3 away win @ London Road. COYB's.

Caption:
1st Daz pic: Ref, can I shine your head with this scarf so I can check my hair?
Ref: (picture)
Don cup Daz: Cheers ref. I look flipping great.
Ref: (picture, a more reluctant thumb up this time)

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:17 am

Caption: Darren Ferguson thumbs a lift to the game while trying to look "POSH".

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:22 am

Caption1...." Hey just seen the team sheet Paul, thanks for picking Chambo, we really need the help"

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:02 am

1-1. We don't look like a team full of goals, hopefully we can get one from somewhere.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:16 am

Caption: Darren gives a big thumbs up to the ref as Fergie time is still alive and kicking.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:51 am

This is the week Norwood starts scoring.... 3-0 to the town

Caption - Darren confirms that there was no toilet paper in the loos, and shows the offending thumb that still carries the stains

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:52 am

Caption 2: Barry I heard you had spoken to Marcus last week. How the hell have you managed to convince him to buy a player off us that is even worse than Paul Taylor? That deserves a big thumbs up!

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:03 am

Caption 1: Ferguson shows off his clever technique for counting to 10..... one....

Caption 2: Ferguson explains the rule of the thumb In the bedroom.... if she clenches take it out

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:06 am

Caption:

"Darren Ferguson gives a big thumbs up as he sets a new league record by being sacked as manager by the same club for a third time."

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:44 am

Caption 1: The match is delayed after Darren asks dad to get the splinter out of his thumb.

Caption 2: Darren reacts to opposing fan’s chants, “Your dad’s a wanker, wanker, wanker!!” Clap, clap, clap.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:48 am

Caption 2 - Darren shows Paul lambert the thumb he uses to push it in when meeting his mum

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:13 am

Caption 1:
It was never a good idea for a dishevelled Darren Ferguson to manage a football team straight after a night on the p*ss.

Peterborough Team Doctor: “Darren, are you still drunk?

Ferguson: “Doc, I am...hic... as sober as a ... a .. an Alan Judge... I mean judge... hic”

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:42 pm

Note to forum...... do not read Nicscreamers “caption 1” while eating lunch! Dear God! 🤢😳

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:43 pm

And :lol: x 10 to one of the captions......, candidate for caption of the year. :lol: 👍

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:23 pm

Good preview again Mike and crew thank you. I hope for a win .but the posh will as said be desperate to break their duck this season and finally get going.

1-1 Im afraid, would love to be wrong again and see Norwood finally get off the mar and goals to boot, but as said Posh its a massive game for them. Hope chambers ups his game ,as i dnt really rate him but there does´nt seem to be many other options out there.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:32 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:43 pm
And :lol: x 10 to one of the captions......, candidate for caption of the year. :lol: 👍
AB caption 2 has Marko written all over it, must be that one 👀

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:53 pm

Never really took to Darren Ferguson after scoring for Wolverhampton to put us out the FA Cup at home back in the mid-90's. Little things like that can make a difference. Voted for an away win, I mean screw it you got to push the boat out.

I don't remember the 7 - 1 loss for some reason. I realize it's a standout score but over time life recollection becomes eroded. Hope to achieve better this time around for sure. Victory is highly important even at this relatively very early stage of a season.

Peterborough 2 Ipswich 3

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:26 pm

Big game so early in the season. If we can get a win with the likes of Edward and Nolan returning (and new signings starting) then we will be in a very strong position.

I think I’m now on the chambers out camp, needs to buck his idea up, however I think he will remain.

Holy
Donacien Woolfy Chambo Kenlock
Dozzell (unfortunately) Downes Skuse Rowe
Jackson Norwood

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:28 pm

Caption :

Alex Ferguson - come on son dont F**k this up
Darren : Cheer Dad.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:35 pm

Same team as AylesburyBlue for me, shame about Garbutt but not much we can do about that.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:22 pm

Caption. Darren giving a thumbs up and getting one back from his best mate referee Martin Coy before tomorrows game.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Well Mach, this could be your fourth and final visit to Peterborough’s London Road Stadium as the club are currently considering a move to a new home.

Like us the city council own the current stadium which is in the process of being sold to the football club and should complete in October.

The League One club will sign an agreement with Peterborough City Council on 17 August prior to Saturday’s match kick off v Town with the sale going through around eight weeks later

They are contemplating whether to develop the ground, which has been their home since 1934, or relocate to a new stadium in the long-term.

Let’s hope they don’t have anything else to celebrate on Saturday.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:34 pm

I think AB might have nailed the team there.

Dozzell’s not a natural wide man, though. I can’t help feel that it could be a bit of a three-way contest during the season between Dozzell, El Mizouni and now Dobra of who’s the next taxi in the rank. Dobra pushed his case the other night. It might give Dozzell a kick up the arse to see other young kids come up strongly behind him.

I would be surprised if Edwards was to start due to fitness, but I wonder if Roberts is an option also at wide left.

The other option is to have Judge in, but I can’t see that due to last week’s performance.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:59 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:32 pm
marko69 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:43 pm
AB caption 2 has Marko written all over it, must be that one 👀
:lol: :lol: :lol: awww no! Am I that obvious!

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Caption comp 1: see my ring finger now look at my thumb What a bummer that is.
Caption comp 2: little jack horner pulled out a plumb guess what i pulled out piles...

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:34 pm

Going to be a win for Town.

Norwood will score (got to be right once in the PL!!??)

Caption - If I squint and hold my thumb in the right spot I can just about block out the glow from the Old Mans snozzel....

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:14 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:34 pm
I think AB might have nailed the team there.

Dozzell’s not a natural wide man, though. I can’t help feel that it could be a bit of a three-way contest during the season between Dozzell, El Mizouni and now Dobra of who’s the next taxi in the rank. Dobra pushed his case the other night. It might give Dozzell a kick up the arse to see other young kids come up strongly behind him.

I would be surprised if Edwards was to start due to fitness, but I wonder if Roberts is an option also at wide left.

The other option is to have Judge in, but I can’t see that due to last week’s performance.
If I could pick the side it would be the one I predicted.
My 11 would be
Holy
Woolfy Chambo Wilson (3 man defence)
Skuse Downes (holding)
Roberts (wide R) Rowe (behind Strikers) Edwards (Wide L)
Jackson Norwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:50 pm

Anyone else using The Peacock pub tomorrow?