Racist Chanting by Town fans v Luton

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

vaalae

Racist Chanting by Town fans v Luton

Post by vaalae » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:14 am

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2019-08 ... own-match/

Did anyone hear this against Luton, not like Town fans? Didn’t get called out in the coverage?

Ricco

Re: Racist Chanting by Town fans v Luton

Post by Ricco » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:28 am

Vulgar, I hope by a few they mean 2 or 3 young and ignorant idiots. If anyone sees or hears anything like that, do everything you can to get them banned. How this problem is getting worse rather than better is beyond me, actually maybe it's not thinking about it, divisive politics and crap media probably play a very large part.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:46 am

Yes heard it, they were a few yards from me, but while not great im not sure singing the National anthem is racist, I would suggest there was about a handful of Neanderthals at the most who were the main culprits.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:14 am

Certainly an element we could do without but i’m guessing this could be another example of media exaggeration. Town fans have had a excellent reputation for good behaviour for decades, it would be a shame if the current generation destroy this.

I’m sure if the allegation is proven and the relevant idiots are identified, (which is easy to do these days with so many cameras in even the shitiest of grounds), they will be banned for life which would be a good result for the club and the best way to stamp it out swiftly.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:50 pm

Not quite understanding this. Are Luton Town raising a racism issue due to hearing the National Anthem being sung?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:42 pm

The implication is that town fans were singing it to mock the fact a large proportion of the population of Luton are foreigners, having heard it it really is something and nothing tbh.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:46 pm

Not saying it's not true or lies have put forward but find it difficult to believe in all truth. We're Ipswich Town Football Club, a name established over time as a friendly club, you know, welcoming and hospitable - any allegations such as these seem very uncharacteristic of our fans behavior.

Then again all teams have their element of idiots and wrong-doers and maybe there is some substance to it. Took in the Bedfordshire County Police website and could find no mention of it along with a handful of obscure opposition fan forums, although Luton Today on-line news publication did run a small article.

It says "allegedly" which means there is no definitive evidence. And why restrict it to Luton if the target was to discriminate ethic minorities ? I mean we've traveled to Birmingham, Leicester et cetera in recent time and as yet heard no mention of the issue here. Best guess a small isolated incident bumped up to greater focus and exaggeration by media and (a) so called domino effect. This club isn't associated with racist issues, been with it long enough and say again it appears highly uncharacteristic.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:05 pm

It was definitely sung SJ but it was more in a p*ss take way in my opinion than a racist intention

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:15 pm

saint jude wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:46 pm
I mean we've traveled to Birmingham, Leicester et cetera in recent time and as yet heard no mention of the issue here.
Nigel Farage (and Boris Johnson to a lesser extent for that matter too), along with all these years of Brexit sh*t, is giving a voice to the racist knuckle-draggers, much in the same way in your part of the world that Trump is almost validating and inciting racist attitudes and letting the scum crawl out their little hatred filled turd caves. I hope I'm wrong and others disagree about some or all of this, but there's been a nasty uptick of racism that's not going away any time soon.

The other thing about why things might rear their heads now, is that against Birmingham and Leicester you get drowned out, but in smaller crowds on quiet nights, then it's far easier to hear a few webbed fingered wrong'uns express their views.

Having a quick look on the Luton Forum, the National Anthem was also accompanied by the following, and I have no reason not to believe them...

"Born in the UK, you`ll never sing that"
"Boris Johnson he's coming for you"
"Brexit means Brexit"

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:33 pm

I must admit that was sung Ricco, totally forgot that but yes it was sung, sadly again a handful of morons

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:11 pm

I think one of the rules of this forum is that political issues should not be discussed.

By all means discuss racism at football matches, but bringing Brexit into you may be inadvisable & open up a different can of worms altogether.

Perhaps Frosty or one of the Moderators can clarify matters.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:25 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:11 pm
I think one of the rules of this forum is that political issues should not be discussed.
Genuinely? :lol: I had no idea!

Happy to amend my post if necessary, I think we've all have had enough of an opportunity to discuss our points of view on Brexit and similar things over the last few years anyway, wouldn't thought many would have the appetite to continue it on here! Apologies for taking it there.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:25 pm

Must admit Billy I agree with the politics thing, it does my head in tbh, that said the singing thing here is probably a valid point of discussion

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:25 pm
Must admit Billy I agree with the politics thing, it does my head in tbh, that said the singing thing here is probably a valid point of discussion
I quite agree about the singing. Disgusting & needs nipping in the bud.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:57 pm

Were there any poor b*stard “non” racists singing along thinking it was just a “national anthem” moment? :lol:

“Aw great, GOD SAVE OUR.....”
“SSSHHHH DAVE!”
“Why? They’re singing the anthem. No idea why, but I like it...... GRACIOUS.....”
“DAVE!!! THEY’RE being racist bastards towards the people of Luton. You’ll be on CCTV and you’ll get lifted at Peterborough! Shut it. You’re driving remember!”
:lol:

Not making light of racism, honest. It’s just that there’s a Key & Peele type comedy sketch in there somewhere.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:40 pm

Same mindless idiots that sing the song about Fashanu. Shouldn’t just ban the ignorant bastards, should hang them.

On the racist front.... more than likely outcome: CCTV, lifelong bans for culprits and a fine for the club. Rightly so.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:51 am

If they have taken affence to the national Anthem being sung surely that makes them racists? :|

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:46 am

Absolutely !!!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:01 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:51 am
If they have taken affence to the national Anthem being sung surely that makes them racists? :|

If the words weren’t changed I agree entirely Derek, but I suspect this wasn’t the case.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:09 am

The words weren't changed, it was the other song that maybe could be construed as racist.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:13 am

If it's true that some were singing
there was clearly racist intent.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:20 am

Yes that is the one.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:06 am

Andym wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:13 am
If it's true that some were singing
there was clearly racist intent.

No place for this in football. It makes me laugh how dim some of these fuckwits are, nobody would choose to live in Luton these days, they were most probably born there.

As for Boris Johnson, he couldn’t be more multi cultural and diverse if he tried.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:41 pm

Had a policeman approach us in the pub at Peterborough on Saturday, he'd seen me at Luton on the Tuesday, made it pretty clear this ain't going anywhere.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:41 pm
Had a policeman approach us in the pub at Peterborough on Saturday, he'd seen me at Luton on the Tuesday, made it pretty clear this ain't going anywhere.

You must have looked a right dodgy geezer 🤨

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:04 pm

Lol he reckoned I had walked past him five or six times, came and sat with us in the pub Saturday for a while, really nice bloke actually.