Peterborough United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

2nd away win of the season?

Peterborough Win
13%
Ipswich Win
60%
Draw
27%

Total votes: 15

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Peterborough United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:36 pm

🤦‍♂️

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:40 pm

Lambert knows there is a problem with Chambers but there is a loyalty issue going on. I genuinely don’t think Lambert is as “no nonsense” as some people think. He might make the stern eye contact thing with the press, but I think he’s got a slight issue addressing the more elderly players. Hence Chambers making incessant mistakes both this and last season and STILL being picked.

Go back to the original Burton Albion drawing board, Paul.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:51 pm

Get in there, Chambo. Never doubted you.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:52 pm

CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBCHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO CHAMBO

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:53 pm

I know it is easy to say, but I had a feeling from before the start of the game that Chambo would score.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:54 pm

That makes up for 1 of the 2 pts he cost us last week. :lol:
Last edited by derick_ipsw on Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:54 pm

TODD66 wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:53 pm
I know it is easy to say, but I had a feeling from before the start of the game that Chambo would score.
That’s the stuff for the “today’s bet” thread, Todd.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:56 pm

I’ll settle for 2-2. Great header from Chambo. Redemption for last week.

Shouldn’t have mentioned him in their second goal ... but I knew he’d get some sort of blame. More unfortunate than a mistake. Go easy on him.

Entertaining game.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:57 pm

TODD66 wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:53 pm
Me too... I put him down as first scorer in the prediction league. I’ll settle for second goal.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:59 pm

Luton aside (no one gives a) ...., undefeated and 5pts from 9. Paul may have hoped for better if asked pre season but it’s a steady start.

For the mathematicians..,,.... is this play off form?! :lol:

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:02 pm

marko69 wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:59 pm
Luton aside (no one gives a) ...., undefeated and 5pts from 9. Paul may have hoped for better if asked pre season but it’s a steady start.

For the mathematicians..,,.... is this play off form?! :lol:
Don't they say average 2 points a game and you will not be far off?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:07 pm

So....... one point off play off form?? FK!! Lambo out! :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:08 pm

Great trip back home though. Scoring late to win or draw is always a great trip back home.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:09 pm

As an aside from Chambo's cracking header to make you all look stupid what a dead ball in from El Mizouni for the goal, time after time we see Judge f*ck it up and the lad was only on the pitch a few minutes and put it right on the money.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:09 pm

BREAKING NEWS:
Luke Chambers is in Deeko’s fantasy team next week.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:17 pm

Well done Philly Bon Bon & Ando on the 2-2 correct score prediction.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:18 pm

You really do need to give credit to chambo for that. He deserves a goal and saving us the point this week. It shows real character from him. Good lad.
A draw isn’t ideal, but I will take it after being down and missing the pen. Onwards and updWards

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:33 pm

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:17 pm
Well done Philly Bon Bon & Ando on the 2-2 correct score prediction.
Thank you Marko mate, I'm delighted for Norwood off the mark, but gutted we never took all three points. I have no delusional thoughts about going up as champions, but posh had no points on the board. Good fighting spirits showed by the lads.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:54 pm

Well we certainly got away with one today.
Very poor 2nd half and tbh certainly a point gained rather than 2 points dropped.
I thought Skuse was our motm but if we are to have any thoughts about challenging for a top 6 place then performances are going to need to improve.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:20 pm

Shed on tour wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:54 pm
Well we certainly got away with one today.
Very poor 2nd half and tbh certainly a point gained rather than 2 points dropped.
I thought Skuse was our motm but if we are to have any thoughts about challenging for a top 6 place then performances are going to need to improve.
I agree completely. Skuse was man of the match, Downes also was excellent. Peterborough had the beating of us in the air at both ends of the pitch, but we still played long high balls all game. Peterborough passed it in the ground and on that performance may well challenge for promotion.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:31 pm

Skuse, Downes and Jackson our best Three players, for me Downes was MOTM third league game running. I thought Kenlock was woeful and Donacien poor, when both your fullbacks are that bad you're always gonna struggle. As Lambert said first 20 mins we were in control but after that second best and yet I agree with PL that had the penalty have gone in we probably go on and win it, that said deffo a point gained as we weren't at the races but we are still unbeaten after what many said was a tough start. We have Three games coming up that I think we will win, the league table could look very different after them.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:43 pm

On a lighter note WELL done everybody who was there!
What a noise for both goals and awesome support throughout đź‘Ťđź‘Ś

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:59 pm

Exactly Jacko, the support by and large is superb.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:05 pm

Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:40 pm
Is it confirmed another calamity clanger from your favourite player?
Donacien missed his header

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:09 pm

Back from the game and I feel depressed. We don’t play good football and we have the most fickle fans in the country. On the bright side they says successful teams pick up points when playing badly.... COYB

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:59 pm

I’m really not impressed. We get outplayed by a winless League One team that conceded three goals to fuckin Fleetwood! We barely scrape a draw with a goal in injury time, and our prolific goal scorer can’t even score a fuckin penalty! We still have a keystone cops of a defense, and our attacking play still relies on the long ball? WTF?! Can any fuckin manager get this club playing good football again?!!

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:00 pm

Bluemike wrote: ↑
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:31 pm
Skuse, Downes and Jackson our best Three players, for me Downes was MOTM third league game running. I thought Kenlock was woeful and Donacien poor, when both your fullbacks are that bad you're always gonna struggle. As Lambert said first 20 mins we were in control but after that second best and yet I agree with PL that had the penalty have gone in we probably go on and win it, that said deffo a point gained as we weren't at the races but we are still unbeaten after what many said was a tough start. We have Three games coming up that I think we will win, the league table could look very different after them.
Agree Skuse and Downs were the pick of the bunch not so sure about Jackson, was he any better than Norwood? I think both huffed and puffed but they are not getting great service at the moment.

Also agree about Kenlock and Donacien they where both really poor today with and without the ball. It was like neither of them wanted the ball they seem to hideaway when the going got tough. We made no attempt to play out from the back today but we did have some good periods of play

El Mizouni did well when he came on and delivered several decent balls in to the box from dead balls, reckon he may get a start on Tuesday.

Really enjoyed the atmosphere for most of the game but there were several fickle fans that turned at the end. For god sake do these people expect us to play well and dominate every game home and away? Some need a bit of a reality check in my opinion. And why
People leave before the end is beyond me.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:43 pm

Back home and it's been a long day.

Dear dear ! Football is a funny old game. We felt robbed against Sunderland last week whereas today it's our opponents in Peterborough who are robbed as we never deserved a point.

This game has been a reality check for all those who claim our squad is good enough for the top 6. Only first 15 minutes were quite impressive from us. The second half in particular was very irritating however the lack of quality was very telling.
No wonder Lambert claims that he needs more players as we aren't strong enough in some areas.

All over them in the first 15 minutes. Quite a good spell rewarded by the Norwood's goal and that was followed by deflected Edwards' shot which was impressively tipped over the bar by Pym.

We allowed Peterborough to come back into the game instead of continuing our good spell. Very poor marking from Maddison's free-kick delivery led to their equaliser. An easy header.

Second half. Dear me ! To put it nicely it was unacceptable. Lack of quality and lack of ideas. Every time Peterborough was in our box would see a danger. The defence was bad and disorganised. Holy's incredible save from close-range in 50 min delayed inevitable and Eisa's goal followed soon.

Quick chance to come back into the game but Norwood's lame penalty was easily saved by Pym.

After that Peterborough were content to sit back and withstand our poor deliveries and pointless long balls. Given how some rave about the quality of our team I'd have expected our midfield and strikers to get into Peterborough's box as easily as they did into ours after the break. Ipswich Town looking poor and clueless in the 3rd tier, that's the new, sad reality nowadays.

Alan Judge came on to replace Edwards. What on earth is going on with him? Is he sulking over not having had a chance to speak to Queens Park? We were in trouble, we needed some spark and injection and you would have expected that from player of his ilk. However what we got from him was mostly pointless deliveries into the box easily dealt with by Peterborough's defence. He could have done much better had he looked for his teammates. Very, very disappointing.

We got an injury-time equaliser which we never deserved given our abject second half performance. Chambers has redeemed himself and his last week's sin and turned out to be a hero. What is really worth underlining is the fact that it came from El Mizouni's dead ball delivery.

A bit of overreaction from some of our fans as they celebrated a late equalizer in the 3rd Division as if we won a cup or something.
There was a strong argument and almost a fight where I stood during the second half between some angry fan and one from 'get behind the team' brigade.

The positives from today is that the unbeaten league run continues and Chambers saving the day. A couple of decisive interceptions from Skuse, a few nice passes from Downes. The problem for the latter was lack of support particularly from full-backs. Both Kenlock and Donacien barely offered any threat when going forward.

So far my pre-season concerns and worries are turning out to be right, sadly. The defence may become our undoing and this squad badly need a better quality. Lambert knows that hence his latest comments.
We should expect beating Wimbledon and Bolton kids but in my opinion it will paper over the cracks as we need a quality. Judge complete disappointment so far, Huws not able to get fit for almost 2 years, ridiclously overrated Dozzell can't get a league game, Jackson's solitary attribute is pace therefore we badly need a striker.

Now the hope is that Vincent-Young turns out to be an instant improvement on Donacien and we don't drop points in the next 'winnable' 2 games. Fantastic support today but in terms of football the day to forget.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:15 pm

Thanks for the report, MPB. Sounds like plenty work still to be done. Regardless of that, still got to expect 9pts from 9 over the next three games, operative word being "expect".

For me, last minute equalisers have produced some serious bounces that were like winning cups. Most memorable was @ Pittodrie many years ago. What felt like 99% - 1% possession in favour of Aberdeen and Hibs scored in the 91st minute for 1-1. I remember feeling like I had lockjaw!! My mouth wouldn't shut! (No change there!) The Hibs goalkeeper, John Burridge (who'd been outstanding) even jumped into the crowd to celebrate.
Then @ Stranraer......., (Stranraer FFS!)......., last minute equaliser for 2-2. Holy shyte, it was like winning the title. Great times. What football is all aboot!

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:27 pm

It’s a funny old game, and this is why I love football.,,,and more specifically Ipswich.
Not because supporting Ipswich is easy. It certainly isn’t. Not because we win. Because we don’t. Not because we win cups, because we don’t and probably won’t for years to come. Not because we are the best team in England, because we aren’t. So why?
It’s not important really. I chose Ipswich and that’s all that is important. I feel the joy of a win, the pain of a last minute loss, the angst of a 1-1 draw when we could have won, but also the wonder of a last minute equaliser when we could have lost.
What I am trying to say is, it’s so easy to be down beat about today, last season, the last 17 years, but it makes no difference if I get angry, upset, frustrated... I will still love this club and support this team. And I will take every second of joy I can out of it.
Tonight I watched my 6year old step son find the most amazing joy in watching fake wrestling at Butlins Bognor. He loved it, and he KNEW. It was fake, but he took joy in it. So people, if you want to enjoy your life, if you want to take inspiration from something, take it from my 6 year old step son who refuses to see the crap that the wrestling really is..... support Ipswich , take joy in the last minute equaliser, accept the draws, but love supporting the team no matter what... it’s part of life’s rich tapestry... and for gods sake please, please please, let’s stop knocking the team and support them. It’s fun, really, the highs and the lows xxxx