Peterborough United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

2nd away win of the season?

Peterborough Win
13%
Ipswich Win
60%
Draw
27%

Total votes: 15

Ando

Re: Peterborough United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ando » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:28 pm

I was jumping round like a loony and celebrated the goal hard, why wouldn’t people. Ups and downs are part of the game. The rollercoaster ride has only just begun.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:30 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:18 pm
You really do need to give credit to chambo for that. He deserves a goal and saving us the point this week. It shows real character from him. Good lad.
A draw isn’t ideal, but I will take it after being down and missing the pen. Onwards and updWards
Yes I'm sick of him being the scapegoat, it's a team effort, no player should be slagged off every time we don't get the result they want ;)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:38 pm

Well said Ando and Nic, I too jumped around like we won the cup, it's for moments like that I go, I love my club through thick and thin, let the bloody doomongers moan and grizzle at every possible thing, I bet some were actually disappointed when Chambo scored.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:38 pm
Well said Ando and Nic, I too jumped around like we won the cup, it's for moments like that I go, I love my club through thick and thin, let the bloody doomongers moan and grizzle at every possible thing, I bet some were actually disappointed when Chambo scored.
Here here mate. It’s what footballs all about

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:44 pm

Bluemike wrote:
As good as the goals felt, and the atmosphere in the crowd for 25 minutes... you have to admit it wasn’t ‘entertaining’ football by either side. I’m not sure I’ve ever felt so tired during a football game.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:46 pm

Have to agree with every word of Mach's report. I guess I was stood near him or there was more than one flashpoint between Town fans.

The club seems to have realised that Emmanuel will never make the grade. How much longer will we persevere with Kenlock? Probably our worst player today.
I keep saying that I don't trust our defence. Woolfenden had a decent game apart from getting too close, allowing their striker to con the ref for the free kick that led yo the equaliser. But they looked dangerous in the air against us all game. And why did Holy keep banging long balls on to the head of their giant central defender all the second half?

Unfortunately many fans have expected promotion. Not a chance. Many - myself included - expected some decent football. Today we were outplayed. Skuse and Downes were the only two capable of a decent pass. Absolutely shocking.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:50 pm

Bluemike wrote:
I bet some were actually disappointed when Chambo scored.
I really REALLY sincerely hope not. :shock:

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:

Yes it must been a great feeling to get an equaliser in the last minute, anyone who feels disappoint by a chambo goal should go & support another team.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:09 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:43 pm
Back home and it's been a long day.

Dear dear ! Football is a funny old game. We felt robbed against Sunderland last week whereas today it's our opponents in Peterborough who are robbed as we never deserved a point.

This game has been a reality check for all those who claim our squad is good enough for the top 6. Only first 15 minutes were quite impressive from us. The second half in particular was very irritating however the lack of quality was very telling.
No wonder Lambert claims that he needs more players as we aren't strong enough in some areas.

All over them in the first 15 minutes. Quite a good spell rewarded by the Norwood's goal and that was followed by deflected Edwards' shot which was impressively tipped over the bar by Pym.

We allowed Peterborough to come back into the game instead of continuing our good spell. Very poor marking from Maddison's free-kick delivery led to their equaliser. An easy header.

Second half. Dear me ! To put it nicely it was unacceptable. Lack of quality and lack of ideas. Every time Peterborough was in our box would see a danger. The defence was bad and disorganised. Holy's incredible save from close-range in 50 min delayed inevitable and Eisa's goal followed soon.

Quick chance to come back into the game but Norwood's lame penalty was easily saved by Pym.

After that Peterborough were content to sit back and withstand our poor deliveries and pointless long balls. Given how some rave about the quality of our team I'd have expected our midfield and strikers to get into Peterborough's box as easily as they did into ours after the break. Ipswich Town looking poor and clueless in the 3rd tier, that's the new, sad reality nowadays.

Alan Judge came on to replace Edwards. What on earth is going on with him? Is he sulking over not having had a chance to speak to Queens Park? We were in trouble, we needed some spark and injection and you would have expected that from player of his ilk. However what we got from him was mostly pointless deliveries into the box easily dealt with by Peterborough's defence. He could have done much better had he looked for his teammates. Very, very disappointing.

We got an injury-time equaliser which we never deserved given our abject second half performance. Chambers has redeemed himself and his last week's sin and turned out to be a hero. What is really worth underlining is the fact that it came from El Mizouni's dead ball delivery.

A bit of overreaction from some of our fans as they celebrated a late equalizer in the 3rd Division as if we won a cup or something.
There was a strong argument and almost a fight where I stood during the second half between some angry fan and one from 'get behind the team' brigade.

The positives from today is that the unbeaten league run continues and Chambers saving the day. A couple of decisive interceptions from Skuse, a few nice passes from Downes. The problem for the latter was lack of support particularly from full-backs. Both Kenlock and Donacien barely offered any threat when going forward.

So far my pre-season concerns and worries are turning out to be right, sadly. The defence may become our undoing and this squad badly need a better quality. Lambert knows that hence his latest comments.
We should expect beating Wimbledon and Bolton kids but in my opinion it will paper over the cracks as we need a quality. Judge complete disappointment so far, Huws not able to get fit for almost 2 years, ridiclously overrated Dozzell can't get a league game, Jackson's solitary attribute is pace therefore we badly need a striker.

Now the hope is that Vincent-Young turns out to be an instant improvement on Donacien and we don't drop points in the next 'winnable' 2 games. Fantastic support today but in terms of football the day to forget.
Great report Mach not ďone through blue tinted glasses

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:16 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:09 pm
Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:43 pm
Back home and it's been a long day.

Dear dear ! Football is a funny old game. We felt robbed against Sunderland last week whereas today it's our opponents in Peterborough who are robbed as we never deserved a point.

This game has been a reality check for all those who claim our squad is good enough for the top 6. Only first 15 minutes were quite impressive from us. The second half in particular was very irritating however the lack of quality was very telling.
No wonder Lambert claims that he needs more players as we aren't strong enough in some areas.

All over them in the first 15 minutes. Quite a good spell rewarded by the Norwood's goal and that was followed by deflected Edwards' shot which was impressively tipped over the bar by Pym.

We allowed Peterborough to come back into the game instead of continuing our good spell. Very poor marking from Maddison's free-kick delivery led to their equaliser. An easy header.

Second half. Dear me ! To put it nicely it was unacceptable. Lack of quality and lack of ideas. Every time Peterborough was in our box would see a danger. The defence was bad and disorganised. Holy's incredible save from close-range in 50 min delayed inevitable and Eisa's goal followed soon.

Quick chance to come back into the game but Norwood's lame penalty was easily saved by Pym.

After that Peterborough were content to sit back and withstand our poor deliveries and pointless long balls. Given how some rave about the quality of our team I'd have expected our midfield and strikers to get into Peterborough's box as easily as they did into ours after the break. Ipswich Town looking poor and clueless in the 3rd tier, that's the new, sad reality nowadays.

Alan Judge came on to replace Edwards. What on earth is going on with him? Is he sulking over not having had a chance to speak to Queens Park? We were in trouble, we needed some spark and injection and you would have expected that from player of his ilk. However what we got from him was mostly pointless deliveries into the box easily dealt with by Peterborough's defence. He could have done much better had he looked for his teammates. Very, very disappointing.

We got an injury-time equaliser which we never deserved given our abject second half performance. Chambers has redeemed himself and his last week's sin and turned out to be a hero. What is really worth underlining is the fact that it came from El Mizouni's dead ball delivery.

A bit of overreaction from some of our fans as they celebrated a late equalizer in the 3rd Division as if we won a cup or something.
There was a strong argument and almost a fight where I stood during the second half between some angry fan and one from 'get behind the team' brigade.

The positives from today is that the unbeaten league run continues and Chambers saving the day. A couple of decisive interceptions from Skuse, a few nice passes from Downes. The problem for the latter was lack of support particularly from full-backs. Both Kenlock and Donacien barely offered any threat when going forward.

So far my pre-season concerns and worries are turning out to be right, sadly. The defence may become our undoing and this squad badly need a better quality. Lambert knows that hence his latest comments.
We should expect beating Wimbledon and Bolton kids but in my opinion it will paper over the cracks as we need a quality. Judge complete disappointment so far, Huws not able to get fit for almost 2 years, ridiclously overrated Dozzell can't get a league game, Jackson's solitary attribute is pace therefore we badly need a striker.

Now the hope is that Vincent-Young turns out to be an instant improvement on Donacien and we don't drop points in the next 'winnable' 2 games. Fantastic support today but in terms of football the day to forget.
I get where Mach is coming from in a lot of his points. However a draw was a fair result. 2 prettt poor teams where chances came through errors (usually Donacien and Kenlock with us - woeful) and not good play.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:47 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:27 pm
It’s a funny old game, and this is why I love football.,,,and more specifically Ipswich.
Not because supporting Ipswich is easy. It certainly isn’t. Not because we win. Because we don’t. Not because we win cups, because we don’t and probably won’t for years to come. Not because we are the best team in England, because we aren’t. So why?
It’s not important really. I chose Ipswich and that’s all that is important. I feel the joy of a win, the pain of a last minute loss, the angst of a 1-1 draw when we could have won, but also the wonder of a last minute equaliser when we could have lost.
What I am trying to say is, it’s so easy to be down beat about today, last season, the last 17 years, but it makes no difference if I get angry, upset, frustrated... I will still love this club and support this team. And I will take every second of joy I can out of it.
Tonight I watched my 6year old step son find the most amazing joy in watching fake wrestling at Butlins Bognor. He loved it, and he KNEW. It was fake, but he took joy in it. So people, if you want to enjoy your life, if you want to take inspiration from something, take it from my 6 year old step son who refuses to see the crap that the wrestling really is..... support Ipswich , take joy in the last minute equaliser, accept the draws, but love supporting the team no matter what... it’s part of life’s rich tapestry... and for gods sake please, please please, let’s stop knocking the team and support them. It’s fun, really, the highs and the lows xxxx
One of the most refreshing viewpoints/posts i have read on this forum. Thank you Nic, reading that put a smile of realisation on my face of what (imo) it is to be a true supporter. It's a bit like marriage; it's about accepting the good with the bad, the faults et al and still loving that person no matter what.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:57 pm

Thanks for the match report Mach,,negative but realistic.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:04 am

Got a draw with not a moment to spare. Regardless of individual preference towards players and management it were a saving point and something to take away. All to easy to point to the opposition not winning a game thus far and we played lackluster at times but remain unbeaten and still far too early in the season to be making proper judgments.

TWTD post-game reaction should be a engrossing read but address that when time permits itself.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:05 am

All opinions welcome...positive or negative. Support the team as you like. We all want the same thing...to win. I think...🤔

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:23 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:50 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Yeah for sure Marko, we had Three such tools in front of us who spent virtually the whole game throwing out insults to the Town players while singing renditions of "Marcus Evans, get out of our club " and "we're f**king sh*t, we're f**king sh*t" amongst others, and they could barely muster a celebration when Chambo scored so yes I know for a fact some would have not been overly pleased with the equaliser, I have seen it with my own eyes in the past from people much much closer than these numbskulls.

We all know we didn't play well yesterday but jesus christ we didn't lose either, we are still unbeaten and have had what most conceded to be a tough start to the season, we are still trying to strengthen and have a whole team injured but this gets forgotten, its not as if we were totally rubbish, they just had the better of it for an hour or so but lets not forget what they have spent compared to us and still they couldn't beat us.

Its all well and good our so called fans saying they are happy to see the kids given a chance and will accept the ups and downs but the minute a down arrives that is forgotten and all the doom and gloom returns with people getting all pissy about an away draw, as Ando says we can't perform well every game, we are a work in progress after all and it needs to be remembered what Lambert said and that is we will have bad days along the way with youngsters being blooded, no matter what happens though every time we don't play well or lose a game our over reactionary fans will creep out of the woodwork.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:40 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:23 am
marko69 wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Yeah for sure Marko, we had Three such tools in front of us who spent virtually the whole game throwing out insults to the Town players while singing renditions of "Marcus Evans, get out of our club " and "we're f**king sh*t, we're f**king sh*t" amongst others, and they could barely muster a celebration when Chambo scored so yes I know for a fact some would have not been overly pleased with the equaliser, I have seen it with my own eyes in the past from people much much closer than these numbskulls.

We all know we didn't play well yesterday but jesus christ we didn't lose either, we are still unbeaten and have had what most conceded to be a tough start to the season, we are still trying to strengthen and have a whole team injured but this gets forgotten, its not as if we were totally rubbish, they just had the better of it for an hour or so but lets not forget what they have spent compared to us and still they couldn't beat us.

Its all well and good our so called fans saying they are happy to see the kids given a chance and will accept the ups and downs but the minute a down arrives that is forgotten and all the doom and gloom returns with people getting all pissy about an away draw, as Ando says we can't perform well every game, we are a work in progress after all and it needs to be remembered what Lambert said and that is we will have bad days along the way with youngsters being blooded, no matter what happens though every time we don't play well or lose a game our over reactionary fans will creep out of the woodwork.

And that Mike is spot on.

This time last week we were frustrated because we should of beaten Sunderland. Yes Chambers made a mistake, so did our strikers and midfielders fluffing good chances and the ref not giving a penalty.

Yesterday we drew and maybe lucky to do so but we could of won it also. They say a sign of a good team is when not losing when playing badly. Well we didn't lose yesterday. Three games in, first we beat Burton away and played quite well, second game we drew with Sunderland and should of beaten them for we played very well. Third we drew with Peterborough and we played for large parts poorly. Both Sunderland and Burton won this weekend so its not all gloom and doom

Far as supporters sad because Chambers scored Marko, sorry but you can bet your bottom dollar some are

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:41 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:09 pm

Cheers Derick, I will never ever have blue tinted glasses, I keep posting what I see/feel/think and if some deem me negative it's their opinion.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:42 am

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:16 pm

I get where Mach is coming from in a lot of his points. However a draw was a fair result. 2 prettt poor teams where chances came through errors (usually Donacien and Kenlock with us - woeful) and not good play.
Draw a fair result? Are you sure Tom? Apart from that missed penalty and last minute header we did nothing in terms of threatening their goalkeeper and defence. Plenty of hoofing towards Norwood and Jackson plus poor deliveries from the wings. Peterborough on the other hand caused plenty of havoc in our box between the start of the second half and when they scored. Afterwards they sat back and were very comfortable.

We have got a bonus point and Peterborough are feeling how we felt last week. But we got it and it's a massive relief given the circumstances.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:48 am

Second half performance was really disappointing, but don’t feel that upset after the game. It was acknowledged our first three games were a tough start before we even kicked the season off.

You’ve got to feel something good after a last-minute equaliser. It beats drab 0-0’s and 0-1’s that we’ve been used to. I fully expect to see Peterborough at the top end of the table at the end of the season... so result-wise not so bad.

I’ve got no problem with the long ball as long as we mix it up. We’re better when we play it on the floor. Disappointing that we can’t put a second-half performance in after starting so well.

Some winnable games still in August so a real chance to bag some points.

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:39 am

number 9 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:59 pm
I’m really not impressed. We get outplayed by a winless League One team that conceded three goals to fuckin Fleetwood! We barely scrape a draw with a goal in injury time, and our prolific goal scorer can’t even score a fuckin penalty! We still have a keystone cops of a defense, and our attacking play still relies on the long ball? WTF?! Can any fuckin manager get this club playing good football again?!!
Take away all the blue tinted speculations and you are absolutely spot on with my estimation of it all mate..

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:19 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:40 am
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:23 am
marko69 wrote:

And that Mike is spot on.

This time last week we were frustrated because we should of beaten Sunderland. Yes Chambers made a mistake, so did our strikers and midfielders fluffing good chances and the ref not giving a penalty.

Yesterday we drew and maybe lucky to do so but we could of won it also. They say a sign of a good team is when not losing when playing badly. Well we didn't lose yesterday. Three games in, first we beat Burton away and played quite well, second game we drew with Sunderland and should of beaten them for we played very well. Third we drew with Peterborough and we played for large parts poorly. Both Sunderland and Burton won this weekend so its not all gloom and doom

Far as supporters sad because Chambers scored Marko, sorry but you can bet your bottom dollar some are
The bit highlighted is spot on for me and something I have raised numerous times, they get away with murder, Sears being a classic case in point, cost us numerous points over a period of seasons and yet rarely gets stick, same yesterday with Norwood and the penalty and while I am not having a go at anyone the point is defenders (and Chambers in particular) will always get more stick when things go wrong, having seen the highlights again and again from yesterday no way could any blame be attributed for Chambers for the second goal, it was unfortunate his touch was a slight one and it fell invitingly for them to score, sometimes it happens.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:23 am

I said to Bluemike at Burton that I didn’t think Norwood looked like the 20 goal a season man we so desperately needed, if he can’t score a penalty given the new rules for goalkeepers then there’s little chance him proving me wrong.

I’ve not seen any highlights yet as we’re on holiday, was it a bad miss or an excellent save ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:27 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:23 am
I said to Bluemike at Burton that I didn’t think Norwood looked like the 20 goal a season man we so desperately needed, if he can’t score a penalty given the new rules for goalkeepers then there’s little chance him proving me wrong.

I’ve not seen any highlights yet as we’re on holiday, was it a bad miss or an excellent save ?
A really weak effort tbh, take a look.....

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... highlights

I still think he will be good for 15+ goals which given another step up for him won't be bad.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:44 am

Charnwood wrote:

I don’t think judgement can be made based on one penalty. He never took them at Tranmere accept the odd one. Looking at who was on the pitch yesterday I can’t see anyone I would back to score if I’m being honest.

Norwood needs service like any striker, it will be the service that determines how many he scores. I am sure he will score more of the chances he gets than he misses.
Last edited by Ando on Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:48 am

Really was a poor penalty though not sure the new rules are for League 1. i thought only for Premiership with VAR

Talking of which and i have to say again the pen was poor, very poor and deserved to be saved but if it was under VAR would that of been retaken?

Talking of fine lines but did the keeper move firstly? For me i really feel this VAR with penalties really is fine margins

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:52 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:40 am
They’re not supporters. Not in the slightest. As Tangfastic says........
tangfastic wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:48 am
You’ve got to feel something good after a last-minute equaliser.
And that’s why (in my opinion) these people are not supporters of the club. They are individuals who have a whole other agenda.

Last minute equalisers or winners at Easter Road (or away) ??? Not sure I’d even notice anyone not celebrating if I’m honest because we’re all jumping around pretending it’s still the terracing! But got to hope these unhappy with a goal “supporters” are very much in the minority.

Total (insert expletive but not “C’s”. Not on a Sunday anyway)

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:00 am

Ando wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:44 am
Charnwood wrote:

I don’t think judgement can be made based on one penalty. He never took them at Tranmere accept the odd one. Looking at who was on the pitch yesterday I can’t see anyone I would back to score if I’m being honest.

Norwood needs service like any striker, it will be the service that determines how many he scores. I am sure he will score more of the chances he gets than he misses.

I wasn’t judging him on the penalty, that was an aside, I was judging him on what I saw over 90 mins at Burton which to be fair is the only game I’ve seen. For 60 mins he was part of a two man attack with Jackson which didn’t work well, and for 30 mins he was a lone striker and didn’t look too sharp in that role either. I just think decent strikers walk up to a penalty with confidence and smack it in the back of the net whereas that penalty yesterday was pretty soft for a striker and more akin to the 5th man down the line in a penalty shoot out.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:03 am

Totally agree with you Marko, my choice of words regarding supporters was wrong.

Not sure what to call them really