Ipswich Town vs AFC Wimbledon Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

First Win under lights this season?

Ipswich Win
93%
Wimbledon Win
No votes
Draw
7%

Total votes: 14

ashfordblue

Re: Ipswich Town vs AFC Wimbledon Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:41 pm

get in there Jackson

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:42 pm

My neighbours will hate me :lol: I have been shouting and screaming. We love stoppage time goals :D

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:43 pm

Mick Mills hitting the nail on the head.

Keep it simple and win!!

4-4-2 please from now on.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:43 pm

Piece of p*ss.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:43 pm

Madness.....
Good teams get results playing poorly....

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:44 pm

Maybe this our season for getting late goals we had enough against us over the last few seasons.

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:45 pm

We should never of left it so late to win. But i will snatch 3 points gladly.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:48 pm

2 strikers 2 goals. We win when Wilson and Woolfenden play together. :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:48 pm

Well done lads! Keep it going while we're growing. Right now we're growers not showers. :lol:

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:49 pm

Brilliant comeback 👍 😀 ⚽ 👌 bluearmy

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:49 pm

And 3 points Saturday against a weak Bolton side will be even better.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:49 pm

lucy wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:45 pm
We should never of left it so late to win. But i will snatch 3 points gladly.
Well if we had played 4-4-2 for 90 minutes and not just 35, maybeit would have been a walk in the park. Showed against sundrrland how effective that is for us, why o why does PL change a winning formula??

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:50 pm

5th in the table 2 pts off top spot undefeated after 4 games the dream still goes on.
LAMBERT OUT... :D

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:53 pm

Well that was very very important I feel, phew!!!

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:55 pm

Loving this never say die attitude. 😀 ⚽ Bluearmy

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:58 pm

Isn't winning great :mrgreen:

Don't care now how it happens as long as we get that buzz for the next few days.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:58 pm

Georgiou looks a good prospect from Spurs. Donacien should not play again he is sh*te. And finally Judge delivers a decent corner. 4 4 2 PL from now on please.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:59 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:24 pm
Town 2 Dons 0 - goals from Norwood and Jackson
Not bad apart from the diversion for the first 80 mins...

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:01 pm

18,778 great attendance for a Tuesday night. :D
Last edited by derick_ipsw on Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:08 pm

How long did it take us last Season to get 8 points? :lol:

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:17 pm

lucy wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:08 pm
How long did it take us last Season to get 8 points? :lol:
On the 6th of December 2018 we had 6 points

Ah no hang on 6 home points, 11 in total

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:23 pm

By October we had 9 points

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:32 pm

Jesus what a mixture of emotions, absolutely dreadful for an hour, for me Lambert got it completely wrong at start with line up and formation etc, just wasn't working with this one up front cobblers, I think tonight I finally crossed over to the side that thinks Dozzell is sh*te, one good through ball was the sum total if his contribution.

The changes made a massive difference, switching to 4-4-2 for one thing plus the arrival of Georgiou made a massive difference with the running at defenders and creating havoc in their box, finally a good delivery from Judge set up the first for Norwood. Jackson too made a big difference and I will argue all day long that there is a decent player in there, he's better than he's given credit for.

We still need to sort the fullbacks out but woolfy and wilson were pretty solid and Chambo wasnt unduly missed tonight. It's a massive three points given how the first hour went but as AylesburyBlue says its the sign of a good team that wins when playing poorly and there is so much more to come. Still unbeaten and league table looking good.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:39 pm

Derick spot on 4 4 2, why complicate any system? we are in league 1 not the Champions league. Full backs are poor,

As i said after the Peterborough game and AylesburyBlue said tonight. It is picking up points when not playing well that signifies a good team

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:00 pm

Just home from a family night out, last time I looked we were 0-1 down and now a win 2-1.

I know we all like entertaining football but to be honest I’m delighted with 3 points and 5th place in the table.

f*ck the entertainment. O’ooooooooops. Sorry Frosty 😊

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:12 am

Just got back from the game, 100 mile round trip,Now having a celebratory drink ;) Not seen us play since the home game against Noj.
Well the first half performance was pants,the 2 up front formation should of been from the start,I used to enjoy 3 up front especially at home.Great to get the win at the death,fantastic noise from the crowd,nearly lost my voice singing and shouting, great night out :D

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:38 am

Andym wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:47 pm
Ando wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:21 pm
Wonder if tonight’s the night PL changes formation? It’s no coincidence that Judge has not performed well in a 4 4 2. Now with we have a dynamic fullback we can play 4 2 3 1. Skuse and Downs are similar and we lose a bit going forward with them both in a 4 4 2.

Also with no third striker options are limited if both Jackson and Norwood start and you need to chase the game. I think that was evident Saturday.
I think they are both playing really well, our 2 stand out players so far. But both seem afraid to step into the opponents' penalty area.

Yeh that’s the headache for PL however Downs Did get further forward 2nd half.

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:45 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:32 pm
Jesus what a mixture of emotions, absolutely dreadful for an hour, for me Lambert got it completely wrong at start with line up and formation etc, just wasn't working with this one up front cobblers, I think tonight I finally crossed over to the side that thinks Dozzell is sh*te, one good through ball was the sum total if his contribution.

The changes made a massive difference, switching to 4-4-2 for one thing plus the arrival of Georgiou made a massive difference with the running at defenders and creating havoc in their box, finally a good delivery from Judge set up the first for Norwood. Jackson too made a big difference and I will argue all day long that there is a decent player in there, he's better than he's given credit for.

We still need to sort the fullbacks out but woolfy and wilson were pretty solid and Chambo wasnt unduly missed tonight. It's a massive three points given how the first hour went but as AylesburyBlue says its the sign of a good team that wins when playing poorly and there is so much more to come. Still unbeaten and league table looking good.
Yes you reminded me about Jackson earlier as we met walking away from the ground. Norwood is bringing the best out jackson.

Chambers to right back

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:55 am

Watched the game on IFollow and what a strange one with a stunning end.

I was seething during the majority of the game. To play like we did in the 3rd tier against the opposition destined for the relegation battle was hard to watch. Was hard for myself to contain a frustration and anger and even the equaliser won't have improved my mood.

However when you get an unexpected late, late winner you forget about the whole game as it's all about 3 points.

I was far from happy with the starting line-up. Some people have been raving about our youngsters for years, 5 of them in the starting 11 and they hardly impressed. In fact the first half was nothing short of terrible from us. And please, please Lambert send Dozzell out on loan to League Two or sell him somewhere.

Although I don't entirely agree with Lambert who is saying that we were relentless in the 2nd half the changes made the difference. Impressed with Georgiou and his style of playing.

Unfortunately both Donacien and Kenlock were poor yet again.

Given my mood and how we'd play for the majority of the game I was completely stunned with that late winner. I couldn't believe that. Wimbledon perhaps deserved a draw but it's all about the final result. From anger to the huge relief and now I'm feeling drained a bit.

We won't be winning many matches if we keep playing like this.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:12 am

Many (and those who were in attendance) will have focused solely on the win and any garbage of 60 minutes and before would have been conveniently overlooked. Other words, victory can be the be all and end all, no need to highlight any deficiencies that were prevalent before target was met.

There's perhaps no right or wrong away to analyze games of this nature but content to view the bigger picture than just zone in on score alone. Victory and the manner it occurred was mighty welcome although the team has been saved on consecutive games by very late strikes. It's not a criticism only addressing it as it is. To get out of this division you'll need to focus and achieve over ninety minutes, not just in the closing stages or bit parts of a game.

Lambert is an as* for deploying a one man strike option, you're playing at home against an inferior opposition, just don't see the logic in it. No surprise in went our way after switching to two attackers but lessons to be learned once again. I'd say progress is steady, but unspectacular. It's kind of what you would have envisaged before the season was even underway. Grind out results, nothing fancy, but a sense of achievement nonetheless.

An impressive crowd was a bonus, good number for the third league although of course the club has the size to accommodate it. Can only imagine the moment Jackson struck when he did, just a moment you can't buy. Troubled team Bolton and a grudge match with Shrewsbury to arrive next, the opportunity is there to build on tonight but the team would seem need to eradicate a significant portion of what was (or wasn't) witnessed today if we're to be truly successful not only in those games but the weeks / months ahead and season as a whole.