Bolton Wanderers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Expect 3 points for this away fixture?

Bolton Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
92%
Draw
8%

Total votes: 13

BLUEBLOOD

Re: Bolton Wanderers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:28 pm

5-0 Norwood again

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:33 pm

We want 6

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:34 pm

“We are top of the league, we are top of the league”

👋👋👋👋👋

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:36 pm

Well this is a nice change from last season, or on the fact the last 10 seasons 😂

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:36 pm

It's unbelievable to an extent, I thought we would win but nothing like this. I'm seeing six or seven before end of game, the last that occurred here I don't know. I realize and accept the opposition are poor but hoping this isn't a one off and more of the same comes our way in the months ahead.

In first position as it stands but subject to change dependant on time remaining at other scores.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:36 pm

Feel sorry for Bolton but we have to keep going

If Ipswich just scraped this 1 nil there would of been hell on this forum and maybe justifiably so, but now at least we are doing what should of hey that table looks good :lol:

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:52 pm

FT 5-0 top of league unless blackpool score

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:55 pm

Just playing out formalities now whatever happens in the moments remaining is academic. This is without doubt one of the best feeling scores as a fan of this club I can recall since f*ck knows when. I know scorelines can read misleading but seems we've played with real intent and purpose and put together something of a stellar event for those that traveled.

Has to be first position after this the goal difference alone would go a long way to assist it. A fine day and no dispute, not getting carried away by any means but this will go some away to adjust the deficiencies of before. Full time, it's a 5 - 0 win, well done to all involved but as before it's one game at a time without planning too far ahead.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:02 pm

Sitting in car on Hawkhill Avenue outside ER Stadium after witnessing a 90+4 minute St Johnstone equaliser and an absolutely brutal display of shyte football by Hibernian, ........., (Heckingbottom better f**king watch himself because he'll get hounded out if that shyte keeps up)......, but FIVE NIL IPSWICH TOWN and TOTL!! Very well done indeed.

1. Go drop car off
2. Go get pished.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:07 pm

I too am off for a swift pint or nine.

A great victory. Should have done better in the first half but you can't complain at 5. Even I can't. 😁

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:11 pm

Just back from the game.

Good victory against a team trying their best, but seriously out of their depth.

It was handball for the penalty and the ref obviously fealt oblidged to give it. He seemed to appreciate Boltons predicament and seemed to be officiating with this in mind however Norwood wasn't missing this penalty - straight down the middle nearly taking the net off!!

We could have been in the lead more convincingly but for the Bolton keeper who pulled off a couple of fine saves (something he did during the second half as well), but you could see the Bolton youngsters heads go down after the second and it became really apparent that it was men against boys for the remainder of the game where we looked like we could have scored every time we went forward.

Credit to our guys for keeping on scoring, but more credit to the Bolton team for keeping on going, especially the keeper who kept the score down with 4 or 5 top draw saves.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:12 pm

Really hard to judge anyone in a mismatch like that, but Vincent-Young looked good... especially in the first half. He’s got some trickery going forward and looked to have a lot of pace. Probably the best fixture for a debut.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:32 pm

Thanks for the report Todd, sounds pretty much as the radio etc saw it. We did the business that many said we "had to do or else" so no room for moaning today, yes ee missed a few but the keeper needs credit for some good saves. 5-0 is a decent result and we're top of the league and unbeaten in Five. Sounds like Vincent-Young is a very astute addition but we need to see him against better opposition, so pleased for Jackson, on course for 20+

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:47 pm

Where can i watch highlights

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:21 pm

First and foremost I have to thank Derick for the nice companion at Bolton today and what a pleasure it was.

It was a mismatch especially the second half as the Bolton kids ran out of the steam. Therefore it's a bit hard to draw any conclusions in regard to us.

The most annoying and frustrating thing today was Norwood's wastefulness. Perhaps he felt a bit cocky and complacent but he can't afford to waste as many chances as he's had today. Even Edwards' goal was just a follow-up from Norwood's one v one with Remi Matthews. Our fifth goal has perhaps made up a little bit for his faults but he needs to be better. I've been far more impressed with Jackson's effectiveness today.  

Bolton kids were not bad in defence in the first half but completely harmless in attack. Some of them looked like kids and once they conceded a second goal early in the 2nd half they lost their drive and determination. They completely gave in and afterwards it was a mismatch.

Their last league goal remains an own goal from Emmanuel back in April.

Bolton's defence were quite rigid at times in the first half therefore the general impression wasn't the best as to how we'd fare. Given their average age and inexperience we ought to have created much more. We rarely make things easy therefore a second goal was badly needed to release a tension. So the game was over after Edwards scored and the only target for the remainder of the game was to rack up a goal difference. 

Vincent-Young had his debut but it is too early to assess him given todays opposition. One positive aspect is that he tends to enter an oppositon box that we hadn't seen from Donacien in the past matches.

Kenlock though made a few poor passes and he isn't getting better unfortunately.

I had said after that poor Peterborough match that 6 points from the Wimbledon and Bolton matches will be like papers over the cracks. My view was deepened after I saw on IFollow in the first 60 minutes against Wimbledon. However the points target this week has been acquired and it has got to be a biggest positive. 11 points after 5 games and lets move on. 

Today should be actually free of assessment and appraisal given the state of the Bolton team. Assuming Rochdale game is cancelled 6 points from the next two home games are by no means a foregone conclusion.
Last edited by Mach_Polish_Blue on Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:22 pm

Great to see Mach at the match Blue Spook injoyed the goal fest as well. But seriously it could of been 9. Norwood missed 4 1 on 1 which is worry cos he missed one against the Dons in mid week. Jackson seems a better finisher. Anyway 3pts and top of the league :D

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:02 pm

lucy wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:47 pm
Where can i watch highlights
Sky sports league 1 highlights or YouTube.
https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... -5-ipswich
Last edited by BLUEBLOOD on Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:07 pm

Well it might have been easy but Tranmere knocked 5 past them and plenty of others will also if things stay as they are. So we had to do the same for the sake of our goal difference. It feels nice to be top of the league :-)

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:52 pm

I will agree with Mach that Norwood missed chances. But the bloke stil worked his tits off and isn’tjust a one-dimensional goal scorer.. If you’re going to be wasteful ... do it when you win 5-0 and score 2 goals. He should have 4 or 5 thb and this game was a bit lame due to the circumstances. Bolton kids did OK.... so did we. I preferd the ugly last minute win against Wimbledon if I’m honest.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:18 pm

Very happy with that! 5 goals were enough to put us top of the league. Now let’s stay there!

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:34 pm

Fantastic win & what a week..I'm still high on these results plus a great night in Ipswich watching Ed Shearen :D

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:55 pm

From the reports it appears Norwood missed some 1 on 1s yes that could be of concern in tight games. However he played a significant role in all 5 goals so i would not be too concerned as this point.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:17 pm

I believe I read that Norwood missed plenty of chances last season so if he scores 32 this season I won't complain.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:21 pm

It's a possibility that this win could be expunged.

https://www.efl.com/news/2019/august/ef ... anderers2/

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:27 pm

A professional performance but it might be a case of no benefit to us by the sounds of the EFL statement released this evening.
https://www.efl.com/news/2019/august/ef ... anderers2/

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:30 pm

Sorry Mach didn’t notice that you had posted already.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:40 pm

I think that statement is just to speed things up with this new takeover, I don't see any risk to Bolton being kicked out.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:26 pm

I have never seen us at the top of a league table. I can get to liking this!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:40 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:52 pm
I will agree with Mach that Norwood missed chances. But the bloke stil worked his tits off and isn’tjust a one-dimensional goal scorer.. If you’re going to be wasteful ... do it when you win 5-0 and score 2 goals. He should have 4 or 5 thb and this game was a bit lame due to the circumstances. Bolton kids did OK.... so did we. I preferd the ugly last minute win against Wimbledon if I’m honest.
But there will be times when maybe we only get that 1 clear chance and to be honest from what I saw today I hope it falls to Jackson. Seriously, Norwood's finishing was woeful.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:06 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:40 am
tangfastic wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:52 pm
But there will be times when maybe we only get that 1 clear chance and to be honest from what I saw today I hope it falls to Jackson. Seriously, Norwood's finishing was woeful.

I must admit I would have expected Norwood to put away 1 of them 1 on 1’s but his runs and the saves from them lead to 2 goals for others....
I think after the pen moss his confidence is still a little fragile... you could see what the last goal meant to him.
Also worth noting their keeper got MOM...
Norwood top of the goal scoring charts for the league, defo room for improvement by let’s cut him some slack.