Bolton Wanderers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Expect 3 points for this away fixture?

Bolton Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
92%
Draw
8%

Total votes: 13

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Bolton Wanderers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:21 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:45 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:33 pm
I'm just pleased the team must have created at least 16 chances for Norwood in that game alone, we are awesome
We were playing against kids? :shock:
Yes but still gotta get the job done, I went to Palace Two seasons ago where we played an entire team of kids except for Gerken and a pretty strong palace side struggled to beat us, still got to do the job.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:25 pm

Doesn't look good for them. The club could cease to exist in the near future but always skeptical about these issues. Bottom line is they got a number of problems and require a takeover bid to address the wrongs and in some way stabilize them from a potential unthinkable demise.

We're talking a founder member here, people won't recognize their past accomplishments from years back but some would find it somewhat surreal to see the club name vanish into possible extinction. As before no matter how severe the problem/s may appear you have to feel a solution will arise and the team may - or will - be able to continue albeit at the (league) level they are.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49470865

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:00 pm

The whole scenario should make people thankful that Ipswich remained in the Championship for so long and DIDNT go to that EPL. What was it, 15-16 years? When relegated in 03 under Burley, did Sheepshanks try and rob the Bank of England to get ITFC back to the “promised” land?

Think Bolton themselves started their own “demise” ball rolling back in the late noughties when people like Jay Jay Ekocha and Gudjohnsen were playing for them and on 35K a week. They tried too hard to maintain their very brief overachieving status without rich enough owners to sustain it. It snowballed over the years and this is where they’ve ended up.

I watched that video and thought this lassie could potentially blame every organisation on the planet except Bolton and the previous owners. Did the EFL tell Bolton that their annual wage bill in 2009/10 had to be close to £100M? I’m thinking no.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:25 pm

Observation: I've noticed while many of us support an unbiased forum as far as negative and/or positive opinions...a few others tend to reside exclusively in either camp. I don't know about anyone else, but for me the constant criticism of other's opinions is pretty boring. I fully support everyone posting their honest opinions, negative or positive. But can we all accept other's opinions without proclaiming those divergent opinions either 'Blue-tinted' or 'unbelievably negative'?

Just post your opinion and leave it that.

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:00 pm

Not much of a forum without a little debate as long as it doesn’t get personal imo.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:19 pm

yes debate is fine...it's the name calling that has become tedious
Last edited by number 9 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:51 pm

There is a Monty Python sketch in there somewhere whereby forum members get together to debate whether debating is fine.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:34 pm

If Bolton are kicked out the League and all there results are cancelled Town will drop to 9th. :(
Last edited by derick_ipsw on Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:45 pm

Really?? :shock:

Get that Scottish bstd out of office!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:18 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:34 pm
If Bolton are kicked out the League and all there results are cancelled Town will drop to 9th. :(
So how does that influence the rest of the season? It’s August.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:26 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:00 pm
The whole scenario should make people thankful that Ipswich remained in the Championship for so long and DIDNT go to that EPL. What was it, 15-16 years? When relegated in 03 under Burley, did Sheepshanks try and rob the Bank of England to get ITFC back to the “promised” land?

Think Bolton themselves started their own “demise” ball rolling back in the late noughties when people like Jay Jay Ekocha and Gudjohnsen were playing for them and on 35K a week. They tried too hard to maintain their very brief overachieving status without rich enough owners to sustain it. It snowballed over the years and this is where they’ve ended up.

I watched that video and thought this lassie could potentially blame every organisation on the planet except Bolton and the previous owners. Did the EFL tell Bolton that their annual wage bill in 2009/10 had to be close to £100M? I’m thinking no.
You’re right Marko but there’s a bit of there by the grace of God go I too.

What fan doesn’t want their club in the top division signing world-class players, mixing it with the big boys?

Sure when it all comes crashing down the likes of Bolton (Leeds, Sunderland and many others spring to mind) deserve a comeuppance but to go out of business entirely? To literally cease to exist? Gotta feel for the fans

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:02 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:18 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
It just means we have played 4 not 5 like teams above us .
The other teams will miss a game when we play over the season.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:05 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:26 pm
marko69 wrote:

You’re right Marko but there’s a bit of there by the grace of God go I too.

What fan doesn’t want their club in the top division signing world-class players, mixing it with the big boys?

Sure when it all comes crashing down the likes of Bolton (Leeds, Sunderland and many others spring to mind) deserve a comeuppance but to go out of business entirely? To literally cease to exist? Gotta feel for the fans
Definitely see what you're saying, Johnny and I totally agree that every fan wants to see their club sign world class players and mixing it with the big boys, ......., (Muhren for ITFC, playing the likes of Barca......., Hibernian in the 60s defeating Barcelona 6-0 at Easter Road) ......;, but in nowadays "soccer" financial climate, (as far back as the late noughties) it was never going to last for a club like Bolton. Yes, some fans basked in it, but certainly some fans would've been saying, "Jay Jay Ookocha? Can we afford him?" ........., or, "This could go tits up if we don't keep on being competitive." No idea how large but a portion of Bolton fans would've been worried.

Look at The Sevco Rangers. It's only a matter of time before that club goes the same way as the liquidated and now defunct, Rangers. Stevie G will be on absolute mega bucks. And people on here talk about fickle......, you can't get any more fickle than the now defunct Rangers and no doubt new The Sevco Rangers fans. They'll empty Ibrox if things go slightly wrong. Then what'll happen? Of course they want to stop Celtic winning that 8th / 9th / 10th SPL title but when it goes pear shaped (which it will) ..... The fans going to whinge and blame everyone else?

I do feel sorry for the entire community that their club is going to the wall, .....; (they'll be saved) ......, but it's a business that's just not been run well at all. Be like me going out tomorrow, replacing a couple tap washers then going and buying a brand new Ford Transit Custom Sport Edition. I mean common sense tells you I'd need to install at least one radiator as well! :D

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:14 am

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:18 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Wycombe lose 3 pts won 2-0
Coventry lose 1 pt drew 0-0
Tranmere lose 3 pts won 5-0
Ipswich lose 3 pts won 5-0.

Eventually we will all play the same amount of games its just a shame.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:49 am

I’m sure there will be something pulled out the bag today? Surely they are worth saving.........

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:17 am

I think they will be saved too although it is very touch and go for sure.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:03 pm

marko69 wrote:

I really do have my fingers crossed all goes well today, not so confident on Bury's outcome.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:02 am

R.I.P...Bury fc sad news for all in football
Bolton given extra 14 Days to sort it out.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:19 am

Bury just 15 miles from Manchester surely those two clubs could have helped, I feel for the fans, as to Bolton let's hope they will be saved.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:21 am

The EFL clearly want Bolton to survive and for me didn't really give a toss about Bury, why else would they refuse Bury the chance to play games too!!! All it did was deprive them of more crucial income which would have bought more time, makes no sense. I have no doubt now that Bolton will be rescued.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:30 am

Weird as hell looking at the table and Bury are now simply not there.

And as Kerry says, when clubs 15 miles away are coining it in. Not right.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:02 am

I think the issue with Bury is that the owner wanted to get money for them and wasn't prepared for the club to be rescued. Dale didn't have the funds to keep them going after he bought them for £1 and was only ever after selling on and making a few quid. If the "other" clubs had rescued them, it would only have allowed other owners to do the same trick. Its very sad, but its not footballs fault as such, more Burys owners fault.
I know we all moan about lack on investment in players, but keeping a tight ship really is the only way to go at this level of football.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:06 am

JohnnyB wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:30 am
Weird as hell looking at the table and Bury are now simply not there.

And as Kerry says, when clubs 15 miles away are coining it in. Not right.
I’m not sure other clubs are to blame and have to take responsibility. Would we save Norwich City if they were on the brink?

I agree there’s far too much of a disparity between the PL and the lower divisions. But what if a portion of that PL money was distributed to lower league clubs. Would owners act more responsibly and use that properly? They’d probably blow it or squirrel it away into their bank accounts.

From what I’ve read, Bury spent big (in relative terms) so they could get out of League 2. In doing so, they gambled and lost with the club. I’m not sure what they expected to achieve in getting to League 1. It’s not as if it’s a pot of gold waiting there.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:20 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:06 am
Would we save Norwich City if they were on the brink?
Ipswich Town itself help? Probably not. But individuals in a mass appeal? I'd hope so. At least try.

I have no doubt at all that this is going to be in the minority of thinking........., but if it was Heart of Midlothian going out the league, I would 100% make an effort to save them if some kind of appeal was going. From a sporting angle, there is nothing on this planet more important to me than an Edinburgh derby. It'd be a very sad day if Anne Budge turned into a Dale type character.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:05 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:20 am
tangfastic wrote:
Ipswich Town itself help? Probably not. But individuals in a mass appeal? I'd hope so. At least try.

I have no doubt at all that this is going to be in the minority of thinking........., but if it was Heart of Midlothian going out the league, I would 100% make an effort to save them if some kind of appeal was going. From a sporting angle, there is nothing on this planet more important to me than an Edinburgh derby. It'd be a very sad day if Anne Budge turned into a Dale type character.
I heard on the wireless on Friday, Steve Dale was asking anyone to put their hands in their pockets to save the club. There’s the opportunity there to hand over money. Obviously, not enough did. And why should they? Who would they be handing money over to. It wasn’t a sudden, freak act of nature that got them where they are.... years and years of mis-management and ownership by the wrong people.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:12 am

marko69 wrote:
tangfastic wrote:

Agreed. Strangely I wouldn’t want Norwich to disappear, think of all the hating fun lost.

There’s a problem with football where unscrupulous business can exploit fans for profit and drop the clubs when it suits them. Football bodies should be there to prevent that happening - or fans end up losing identity and community focus. RIP Bury

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:38 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:05 am
marko69 wrote:
tangfastic wrote:

I heard on the wireless on Friday, Steve Dale was asking anyone to put their hands in their pockets to save the club. There’s the opportunity there to hand over money. Obviously, not enough did. And why should they? Who would they be handing money over to. It wasn’t a sudden, freak act of nature that got them where they are.... years and years of mis-management and ownership by the wrong people.
In Burys case, I agree with your post. I suppose it's down to the surrounding area and how people feel towards them...... Probably not many gave a sh*t, which, harsh as it sounds, I understand.

Bolton on the other hand........, in my opinion, as stated already; they've overspent. They're in the sh*te. Yes, ITFC were once in the sh*te, but they weren't breaking the bank signing ageing superstars, (Tampon aside of course). Harsh lesson for Bolton and MAYBE, if they went bust, that'd set an example of some sorts for these clubs spending dough they've not got.

And the slogan can be, for any other clubs......., "You've been Bury-ed."

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:59 am

English football is awash with money, mainly provided by TV (Sky and BT Sport). Unfortunately very little of it seeps down to the lower echelons of the EFL, and not that much to the Championship. One can't blame the Premier League clubs individually for their wealth but I do think one can blame the Premier league as an organisation for their virtual financial take over of English football. When we sold (gave away?) that lad to Manchester City last season, they were the equivalent of "drag fishermen" scooping up talent for next to nothing , mainly to stop other Premier League clubs from signing him. We should at least have been allowed to really cash in on his potential (Bryan Klug had been quoted as saying he was potentially the most talented youngster to have come out of the Academy). Who makes the rules that says that Grade 1 academies can poach youngsters from lower graded academies? Why was the Premier League ever allowed by the FA to take over English football and do their own thing? And the Premier League (and English football) need the lower leagues,where most of their English talent comes from and is nurtured.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:21 am
The EFL clearly want Bolton to survive and for me didn't really give a toss about Bury, why else would they refuse Bury the chance to play games too!!! All it did was deprive them of more crucial income which would have bought more time, makes no sense. I have no doubt now that Bolton will be rescued.
it was more to do with their owners excuses and not exactly being honest with them, he paid a pound for the club and his last statement was the club was in the black, I don't think he helped himself or the club. I believe the big clubs around Bury could see there was a dark side in the club or they would have helped. Wolves offered them 3 loan players if they had survived and Wolves pay the wages, other clubs would have done the same,
looking on the bright side clubs like Wimbledon, Aldershot, Newport,returned plus many more are still in the non league pyramid,doing ok.
Last edited by goldandblack on Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:41 pm

Years ago Bolton were 186 Million in debt, I think Bury's plight pales into insignificance