Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Keep the run going?

Ipswich Win
81%
Shrewsbury Win
6%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 16

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:20 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:16 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:56 pm
The stats suggest we took our chances well with 3 goals from 5 shots on target. Nice to see three different goal scorers too, always good for player confidence.
yeah great result, and looking at the recent Posh results your draw was a good point at there place, some good attendances as well.
should be a good season and quick return.
Let’s hope so 🤞🤞🤞

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:03 pm

As Andy said, so much for a tight game, we all pretty much felt it could be tough to break them down and that an early Town goal would open things up, well not only did we get One early goal but Two inside the opening Ten minutes to all but put the game to bed even at that early stage. What followed was all pretty routine stuff with Town toying with their opponents for long spells, although Shrewsbury did have a couple of decent chances which pulled saves from Holy, probably his first real saves of the season but by the time we got the third they were well beaten, being down to Ten men and Two goals down you just couldn't see anything other than Three points for Town.

Two minutes in and our front Two linked up nicely to give us the lead as Norwood's through ball was despatched with aplomb by Kayden Jackson who shot across goal and into the far side of the net, looked quite a finish from the other end and gave him his Fourth goal of the campaign. Not long after it was Two as Norwood again converted from the penalty following some excellent work by Vincent-Young (that was to become a regular theme of the game), his incisive run drawing the foul from which we were to all but put the game to bed.

Town continued to look the more likely to score with both Judge and Rowe chancing their arm from distance, then Norwood should really have done better as he found himself in on goal but shot wide. Holy in the Town goal hadn't yet been tested, for Town KVY had started very well and looked a real player, getting forward with some strong runs, his composure on the ball was pleasing to see and he was using the ball well, in the middle Downes and Skuse had started brightly again with Jackson & Norwood keeping the visiting defence on their Toes, at the back Woolfy & Chambo were looking assured with the little they had to do.

Shrewsbury had their best chance of the game on the half hour as they fashioned a chance following a freekick, the ball coming back off the outside of the post and away to safety, it was a wake up call for Town but was really the first sight of Town's goal. If there was any doubt that Town had the game won already that was put to bed as Shrewsbury had a player sent off for a second yellow card, it really was an uphill battle now and there had been little to suggest Eleven men would have got back into it let alone Ten. Tomas Holy had to be alert to make a decent save with the half all but up and got down well to palm the shot away at full stretch. The half ended with Town very much in pole position to see the game out.

The restart saw Town on the front foot without causing Shrewsbury any great dramas, in fact the visitors had a header which wasn't far off the target which again was a warning to Town not to slack off. Holy was again called into action, this time saving from Morison who had fashioned a chance. Having failed to stamp our authority against the ten men we finally put the game completely to bed and what a good move and finish it was, a surging run from the excellent Vincent-Young saw his pass find Jackson who brought it forward before sending in a pinpoint cross on to the head of the onrushing Downes who's brave header found it's way into the net, game over, it really was a good move and finish.

The final minutes peetered out with little in the way of goalmouth action but the result was never really in doubt from the moment Town went Two goals up at such an early stage, to be fair to Shrewsbury they didn't cave in but never looked like they were going to mount any kind of comeback. So it's another good Three points for Town in what was a solid performance which got the job done, I feel we had extra gears to go through should we have needed to, I was particularly impressed with kane Vincent-Young who I thought was excellent from start to finish, both in defence & attack he looked assured, confident and not lacking in ability, he won the penalty and had a hand in the excellent Third goal. What pleased me was that we now have some partnerships forming all over the pitch, Chambo & Woolfy, Skuse & Downes, Norwood & Jackson and now today Vincent-Young & Rowe, each partnership looked good at times in different ways and augers well for the slog ahead. It was also good to see Jon Nolan make an appearance and he looked pretty sharp considering the length of time he's been out.

Holy.....(7) Two or Three good saves, clean handling and shouts his defence !!!

KVY.....(9) I thought he was excellent, great ball control, strong forward runs, a hand in Two goals, didn't put a foot wrong.

Chambers...(7) Solid and error free, probably just won the battle with Morison.

Woolfenden...(7) Looks so assured and belongs in the team, if we keep him he'll be a future Town captain.

Kenlock.....(6) was made to work hard in the first half and had a couple of iffy moments but improved after the break.

Judge.....(6) Still striving to find his best form, crossing again could have been better. Did defend better at times.

Downes....(8) I just love this boy atm, having good game after good game, won so much loose ball, nothing fancy but so effective, excellent header for goal and good to see him getting into the box.

Skuse...(7) No nonsense as always, never stands out but puts in the usual shift.

Rowe....(6) Linked well with KVY at times and always looking to be direct, didn't see loads of the ball today.

Jackson.....(7) Super finish to give us the lead, linking up better every game with Norwood, a tireless and willing runner. For those who say he isn't any good, they need to learn their Football.

Norwood....(7) Such a nuisance and a handful, wins his fair share of headers against bigger men and has a superb touch, doesn't always come off but his brain is very sharp. Links well with Jackson.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:43 pm

A bit of a 2 hour hiatus on here until Mike posted his report.... and we won 3-0. :D

I’m really happy we’re winning. I thought Shrewsbury were a decent team and for periods were the better team. But at critical times we had the extra class and got the breaks. I agree with Mike that we have extra gears to go through, but it could be later in the season we start seeing them. It’s a great start, but I still don’t think we’re playing that well for long periods. Maybe too many long balls and Holy needs to calm down on his kicking. It doesn’t worry me at all... I just think we can get a lot better and we’re also winning whilst not in top gear. Isn’t that the mark of a good side?

Flynn Downes MOTM for me. Just getting better and what a great team goal for the third. How the f*ck Andre Dozzell can get picked ahead of Downes for the England under 20’s is beyond me?

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:11 pm

Highlights if anyone needs to watch.
https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... shrewsbury

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:25 pm

All in all, a cracking day. We won 3-0, my middle daughter got engaged and I had £10 on a 3-0 win at 16/1 😀 as for the game, we were excellent first half and backed off second half. If we were in the championship, our defensive weaknesses would cost us badly as we allow too many chances, although in the main, K V-Y, Woolfie and Chambo were OK. 3-0 was a good win and we were never in real danger. sam Ricketts was watching a different game. If this is league 1, i love it! 19k, great atmosphere, big wins, clean sheet, 2 strikers scoring, keeper i was not sure of doing worldies, new signings like norwood and K V-Y (who looked class), jackson looking dangerous and scuse/downes running the midfield - i love football again! Also loved the di di di di - sexy football chant! If MM never comes to PR again it will be too soon! Happy day, happy evening, happy Wilf 👍 just disappointed that Rochdale is off (although am off to greece for holidays next week anyway) so the momentum will stall... enjoy your week fellow Tb's and Girls!

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:30 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:11 pm
Highlights if anyone needs to watch.
https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... shrewsbury
Shame they didn’t show all the build up to the third goal. We looked to play a little more on the counter 2nd half and finally got the 3rd.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:23 am

That 3rd goal was a super move, 4 players involved. I Just think when we get fully into our stride we will be way too strong for everyone in this division, then to have Nolan, Nsiala, Bishop, Lankester, sears, Huws and Garbutt all to come into contention is ridiculous, dont get how people think we will be mid table at best.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:40 am

Just seen the EFL highlights again. Looks like the foul for the penalty started outside the box...... but who gives a sh*t!

What a difference an attacking fullback makes, I could watch the 3 rd goal all day. How Hurst took Donacien instead of KVY is a mystery but probably explains much more.

Kenlock was better for longer periods than against Wimbledon , it will be interesting to see what PL does at left back when Garbutt is fit. I am sure there will be some rotation.

There has been plenty of talk about whether or not we should have called off the Rochdale game, some say the momentum is with us and we have cover for those missing. For me I think it’s right to cancel because we only have two fit strikers therefore no cover.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:48 am

Yes pen was fortunate but makes up for Three or Four already this season we should have got but didn't, Jackson against Sunderland at the death a classic example.

I think Garbutt is a cert for LB once fit as so many midfield options now.

As for Rochdale, glad its off as would have missed it, will hopefully do the midweek visit now.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:15 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:48 am
Yes pen was fortunate but makes up for Three or Four already this season we should have got but didn't, Jackson against Sunderland at the death a classic example.

I think Garbutt is a cert for LB once fit as so many midfield options now.

As for Rochdale, glad its off as would have missed it, will hopefully do the midweek visit now.
Maybe it’s worth giving Georgiou a run at LB against Spurs in the cup. Bailey Clements isn’t ready to compete against Kenlock for LB yet. Georgiou or Garbutt could well be options to take over from Kenlock, although Oxford fans really didn’t rate Garbutt at LB last season. Wouldn’t mind Georgiou given a chance there as he’s played there before.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:44 am

Yes he could well be a good option, but that's the key, we have so many options now, with Garbutts eye for goal he would kinda be wasted at LB.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:20 pm

I said it would be a close game, probably won by the odd goal. (3-0)
I said we didn't move the ball quickly enough (first and third goals )
I said we didn't run at defences (penalty)
I said Skuse and Downes never get into the penalty area (3rd goal)

As usual I was wrong on all counts.

A great performance. Some way to go as yet to convince me we are promotion candidates but generally very good and enjoyable to watch.

I would add:
1. We allowed Shrewsbury a number of chances, more then I would have liked.
2. Still not convinced by Holy's judgement. A couple of decent saves but not (as someone stated) world -beaters. More like saves you'd hope he would make.
3. Vincent-Young seems capable of terrorising defenders. A great first touch, and lots of tricks going forward. I hope when the time comes he proves to be a decent defender too. He wasn't tested too much defensively yesterday.

We looked good going forward and it was so good to see Downes busting a gut to get in the box for the third goal. Shrewsbury were no mugs but I thought quite a niggly team. MM should have watched us yesterday to see why we wanted an end to his style of football. It was much more entertaining.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:44 am
Yes he could well be a good option, but that's the key, we have so many options now, with Garbutts eye for goal he would kinda be wasted at LB.
Be nice to have a goal scoring LB 😉

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:47 pm

What sort of side are they playing on Tuesday...? considering going if team is a strong one.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:38 pm

I reckon we will see the likes of Huws, Dozzell, Emmanuel, Nolan, Roberts, Georgiou (if he's allowed to play), Wilson, Donacien etc etc.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:50 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:20 pm

A great performance. Some way to go as yet to convince me we are promotion candidates but generally very good and enjoyable to watch.

I would add:
2. Still not convinced by Holy's judgement. A couple of decent saves but not (as someone stated) world -beaters. More like saves you'd hope he would make.
3. Vincent-Young seems capable of terrorising defenders. A great first touch, and lots of tricks going forward. I hope when the time comes he proves to be a decent defender too. He wasn't tested too much defensively yesterday.

We looked good going forward and it was so good to see Downes busting a gut to get in the box for the third goal. Shrewsbury were no mugs but I thought quite a niggly team. MM should have watched us yesterday to see why we wanted an end to his style of football. It was much more entertaining.
Bloody hell, Andy, there’s almost an admission that we could possibly get promoted. A couple of weeks ago you seemed worried we could get relegated. :) Glad you enjoyed the game. I agree we gave too many chances to Shrewsbury and I just felt there was a lack of intensity from us after the sending off. I was actually disappointed the bloke was sent off as I felt we could defeat Shrewsbury convincingly eleven against eleven. I can happily deal with 3-0 wins though. Downes goal was a joy.

I really wish the Rochdale game wasn’t cancelled... but it makes sense, I suppose. Garbutt and Nsiala should be fit by then and maybe Keane. Just getting stronger as a squad and the losing mentality has been replaced by expectations of wins.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:00 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:50 pm
Andym wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:20 pm

I would add:

Bloody hell, Andy, there’s almost an admission that we could possibly get promoted. A couple of weeks ago you seemed worried we could get relegated. :) Glad you enjoyed the game. I agree we gave too many chances to Shrewsbury and I just felt there was a lack of intensity from us after the sending off. I was actually disappointed the bloke was sent off as I felt we could defeat Shrewsbury convincingly eleven against eleven. I can happily deal with 3-0 wins though. Downes goal was a joy.

I really wish the Rochdale game wasn’t cancelled... but it makes sense, I suppose. Garbutt and Nsiala should be fit by then and maybe Keane. Just getting stronger as a squad and the losing mentality has been replaced by expectations of wins.
I think we stepped of the gas at 2-0 against 10 men. It didn't matter but if we had conceded it might have got a bit nervy.

I still dont exoect promotion but some of yesterday was good to watch. In fairness so was the Sunderland game. Peterborough looked good and have won every game since, and I suspect there are others who will pass us. I'd love us to get promoted but more performances like yesterday and Sunderland and I'll be happy.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:03 pm

I was worried that Rochdale being off would mean we do not stay top but with Portsmouth and Sunderland also calling off games, we just may still be there with a game in hand. Wouldn't that be nice. Maybe its early season optimism but, like Mike, I too see our squad - if used carefully - as being far superior to most in this division. From what I have seen so far, play offs are a must but automatic should 100% be the goal - and be achieveable. Here's hoping! 🤞

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:34 pm

I hate this terrible league. I really do and every time we come out with 3 points this is more like relief than joy. Therefore two quick goals against Shrewsbury were so ideal to settle my nerves and release a tension. Each game is a kind of torture for me.

I'd said prior to this season that I don't expect us to be a threat and we'd finish in midtable. Seeing how many points we have acquired thus far the start to this season has by far exceeded my expectations. Again though this is like a big relief.

So nice and encouraging to see how Vincent-Young introduces himself and what a monumental upgrade he is on both Donacien and Emmanuel.

If we continue gaining points and every player gets fit then Lambert will have a big task to keep everyone happy.

Rochdale getting postponed isn't an issue for me at all as we should have more players available to play when we face them come November.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:02 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:34 pm
I hate this terrible league. I really do and every time we come out with 3 points this is more like relief than joy. Therefore two quick goals against Shrewsbury were so ideal to settle my nerves and release a tension. Each game is a kind of torture for me.

I'd said prior to this season that I don't expect us to be a threat and we'd finish in midtable. Seeing how many points we have acquired thus far the start to this season has by far exceeded my expectations. Again though this is like a big relief.

So nice and encouraging to see how Vincent-Young introduces himself and what a monumental upgrade he is on both Donacien and Emmanuel.

If we continue gaining points and every player gets fit then Lambert will have a big task to keep everyone happy.

Rochdale getting postponed isn't an issue for me at all as we should have more players available to play when we face them come November.

Agree kVY is deffo a breath of fresh air and was a joy to watch.

I think each game has been a bit of a relief, as Lambert says just tick it off and move on to the next one. it’s like we are all pinching ourselves because of the recent past, we are not used to this

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:29 pm

Fantastic result at the weekend, ITFC.

Although I may need glasses after that penalty award? :lol: He slipped and fell on his arse, (cue airplane quote) surely? Will take those penalty awards all season long.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:48 am

Some altercation in town involving visiting fans and some of our say, younger element fan base. Goading, some acts of belligerence, attempt to gain a reaction etc. At least that's what reports pointed to at the weekend. I got a certain respect for the opposition, overcame us twice in the 1980's during FA Cup participation even when Robson was involved if memory serves but that Hurst appointment caused a scene between clubs, you know, certain frictions.

Think said before Shrewsbury weren't quite as bad as 0 - 3 would suggest. Holy made at least one outstanding save amongst others and if they had got one back it would have played on our nerves. Real test is when we face off against names like Coventry and Sunderland, even old nemesis Lincoln once again. If we couldn't beat the latter over two games when further leagues separated each other then this time around should be a good indication of where the team is headed this season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:35 am

We've already outplayed Sunderland.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:46 am

Watched some Posh v Sunderland game, (or Posh v Pish for short) ...... can’t believe Jack Ross hasn’t been emptied yet. Huge travelling support to witness a very easy game for Posh.

Those Black Cat fans wanted him out last season......, how is he clinging on to this? Strange.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:20 am

A fair few fans wanted him in here, lucky escape

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:20 am
My thoughts too.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:18 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:20 am
Escape? Who the hell did we end up with? :)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:04 pm

Yeah a disaster but Two wrongs and all that