How are the youngsters doing?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

How are the youngsters doing?

Post by number 9 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:14 pm

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... for-august

Nice to see two ITFC players make the best 11. Special praise for Luke Woolfenden...he's stepping up just like we asked. Also, lots of positive comments for Dobra on Tuesday night. Downes has been a pillar of strength in the midfield, so far. I'm hoping more of the youngsters will begin to make an impression.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: How are the youngsters doing?

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:20 pm

And yet our academy is naff and over hyped.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:35 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:20 pm
Have to admit I've been one of those critics of our academy. I'll be pleased to be proven wrong...which seems to be the case with the direction we are finally heading.
Last edited by number 9 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:44 pm

I’m a bit surprised that Downes is not included in that 11.
Imo he was our best player in August.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:45 pm

Its not an opinion Shed, he was without question the best player in August

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:36 pm

A good academy is worth nothing if you can't make use of those players, or demand fair prices for them. That is where we have often failed over the last 10+ years, whether that is the clubs fault, or whether these days they're powerless against the demands of these young primadonnas I don't know, but the first fact remains true.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:42 pm

Flynn Downes, 2023, £25M move to the Gooners. Book it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:20 pm
Well I think until now it has been over-hyped. How many ‘next-big-things’ have come and disappeared? Downes has been great this season. Woolfy looks strong and can only get better. Feels like a new signing as he was unproven really with us before this season.
League 1 could be the best environment to blood and progress the youngsters, but it’s not easy at the moment to break into the team, especially in midfield. I’d love to see Dobra given a chance on the bench next game.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:37 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:42 pm
Flynn Downes, 2023, £25M move to the Gooners. Book it.
I’d take that. 4 years to get us back in the premier?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:15 am

In years past the team could pride itself on a promising junior set-up / academy but times change. Some say the key to a good side is a balance of youth and experience but we've in the main gone with the former in recent years. It's not just the caliber - or potential - of any kids we may have, they need to be mentored and nurtured the right way in order to fulfil expectation. I don't get to see all the in's and out's at the club in terms of training and routine like some others but the season thus far is testament we're attracting and producing something that works. Not just for now but for future purpose. Once again it's too premature to make proper judgment but the signs thus far seem promising.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:59 am

Absolutely spot on SJ , "they need to be mentored and nurtured in the right way" !!! We have had some great kids come through in recent times and I don't believe that's been happening, it's strange now we have Paul Lambert that it suddenly seems to be happening again.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:13 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:59 am
Absolutely spot on SJ , "they need to be mentored and nurtured in the right way" !!! We have had some great kids come through in recent times and I don't believe that's been happening, it's strange now we have Paul Lambert that it suddenly seems to be happening again.
Was thinking the same thing last night whilst looking at this thread.

How can we say we have not produced any good young players that have broken into the 1st team over the last 10 years when in fact management very rarely chose to play any over the loanees and journeymen they had brought in.

If you never give them the chance you will never know, leaving the view from the outside that the acadamy is failing when in fact the talent is just being stiffled.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:16 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:59 am
Lambert bluntly put down the achievements of the 23’s in winning the league. He went on record to say it means nothing, and they have to force their way into the first team. I like that. A bit of tough love alongside a bit of encouragement. Without establishing themselves in the first team, it’s just potential which can come to nothing.

TBH.... this season he’s put his faith into three youngsters in Downes, Woolfenden and Kenlock. The other youngsters have been peripheral ie the odd cameo from El Mizouni or Dozzell making one lovely pass. Downes and Woolfenden have come good this far, but Kenlock is seen by many as the weak link. I hope Kenlock comes good as I’ve backed him in the past, but at least Lambert has given him the opportunity of a decent run in the team. It’s up to these lads to grab the chance when it comes along.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:04 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:16 am
It’s up to these lads to grab the chance when it comes along.
That’s it summarised nicely.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:29 am

Downes, Woolfenden & Kenlock are definitely the main Three but I think Lambert rates El Mizouni too so don't be surprised to see him getting game game time as the season progresses, there is little doubt that Lankester would have established himself in the first team and had the big boys not poached Ben Knight & Flores for peanuts they too would have been successes of the academy.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:52 am

To be honest because of relegation and even less money to work with Lambert has not really had any choice other than to use our youngsters. Downes broke through last season, for me, Woolfenden has been the biggest success thus far this season.

What Lambert has delivered on is restricting loanees. Although Garbutt is on loan I think both parties view this season as a step towards a permanent deal if we get promoted.

The drop to L1 will only help their development and allow them to make a break through. What I can see happening is our good youngsters going for much larger transfer fees and it will be that money that gets us competing for promotion from the championship not the players themselves unfortunately.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:19 pm

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... eet-record

Not one of our original youngsters, but what an impressive start KVY is having. A great example of astute recruiting...kudos to those who made this happen. I can see him as a spokesperson for lubricants: "I play football for Ipswich Town, and my first choice for lubricant is KVY gel." :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:37 pm

He's been a revelation and I'm stunned he hasn't been snapped up before this by someone, very talented footballer. As you say well done to those that made this happen, 500k looks a bargain.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:44 pm

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... n-strength

Nice to hear Lambert's view on Dozzell.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:03 pm

:) I said last season that Woolfenden would be a rock in our defence in this division, he was brilliant at Swindon and really grew up a few stages there, I see him as a potential Captain in a couple or so years, he'll be like De Vos and the Beat rolled into one, give it time and we will or should steam roller this league ready for the hopefully championship return 2020/21 season, I have faith that PL can build a solid squad for the future,

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:15 pm

Indeed you did big up woolfy, I knew he was decent but didn't share your complete faith in him so fair play to you Ash, he is going to be top notch and has hardly put a foot wrong this season.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:17 pm

I'm so happy for Wolfie BM, and that you have faith in my intuition on our players, I just wish PL would listen to my choices of squad players, :lol: :lol: :lol: Mick certainly didnt :roll: and we all know where that landed us up, :cry: :cry:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:53 pm

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... mmer-china

Another who’ll be knocking on the first team’s door. For some reason I’ve got a really good feeling about Master Folami.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:08 pm

When he emerged on the scene at the tail end of McCarthty's reign I thought he looked really good, the injury has clearly seen his progress stall but I too think he can be a big player for us in the future.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:01 pm

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... -town-pair

I suppose this is a reality check, but I hadn't considered losing players in January!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:17 pm

Bound to be interest as they are good players, doubt very much we will be selling those Two, especially to a grubby little club like QPR. It could just be paper talk but players are watched all the time

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:21 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:01 pm

I suppose this is a reality check, but I hadn't considered losing players in January!!!
I can’t see it happening with those two - unless those clubs put up big bucks. It would have to be stupid money and I can’t see QPR and Fulham putting that money on the table.

Whether you like it or not - we will sell our best players at some stage. It’s time we started to develop players and sell on to the big boys. We’ve seen Webster, Mings, Clarke - maybe Marriott as well - go for big fees recently. But we didn’t develop them to that stage - other clubs did and we just get the add-ons.
Best case scenario if we had to sell is hold on to Downes and Woolf - help get us promoted and if they leave - then sell to a PL side for 15 - 20 million. And re-invest by strengthening the squad. Got no problem with selling as long as we buy smartly as well - it’s a way to beat the system and keep us progressing.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:26 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:21 pm
number 9 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:01 pm

help get us promoted and if they leave - then sell to a PL side for 15 - 20 million.
I've got not problem with that scenario, Tang. Key thought there is after we get promoted.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:29 pm

I should think with the importance of promotion and the importance of these players to the team, that even Evans' would be able to see that they're not for sale barring an absolutely ludicrous offer.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:18 pm

Ricco wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:29 pm
I should think with the importance of promotion and the importance of these players to the team, that even Evans' would be able to see that they're not for sale barring an absolutely ludicrous offer.
I wouldn't disagree, except we have all seen players' performance levels drop once offers come in and aren't accepted. I suppose it depends on the price we put on them. I hope PL and/or ME are talking to the lads, giving them an indication of the club's valuation of them and talking them through the problems of moving up a league and not necessarily playing regularly.