Ipswich Town vs Doncaster Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will the International break helped or hindered?

Town Win
64%
Rovers Win
7%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 14

derick_ipsw

Re: Ipswich Town vs Doncaster Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:28 pm

If we were poor then let's take the point and move on. Another clean sheet still undefeated gone 2nd with a game in hand. Not all doom and gloom. 😊

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:33 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:28 pm
If we were poor then let's take the point and move on. Another clean sheet still undefeated gone 2nd with a game in hand. Not all doom and gloom. 😊
100% correct.

But still a shyte result at Portman Road.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:45 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:33 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:28 pm
100% correct.

But still a shyte result at Portman Road.
I’m going with Derick ... take the point. Best side we’ve played so far. We’re not firing on all cylinders ... but picking up points. It’s a marathon not a sprint.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:01 pm

100% correct means I'm going with Derick also, and thrilled you're joining us!!

Still a shyte result at Portman Road.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:54 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:01 pm

Was it a sh*te result at Portman Road?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:57 pm

It's not often I leave Portman Road happy with a point but that was exactly the case today after seeing Town outplayed for the entire first half and the last Twenty minutes of the second period too, taking into account Doncaster should have won the game it is definitely a case of a point gained against a very competent and able side who I would suggest will be top Six come next May for sure, we just never got into our stride at all, we looked lethargic and a yard slower than them, they outpassed us and won virtually every free or second ball that was available so to get away with a point and a clean sheet is a bonus, plus we keep the unbeaten start to the season going so that has to be a plus to take from today.

It was Donny that started the better and took the game to Town right from the off, thankfully most of their work was in the middle of the field but the early warning signs were there as their passing game looked very good and fast, at times we were chasing shadows in our quest to win the ball. It wasn't until mid way through the half that Holy in the Town goal had to earn his keep as he kept out a shot from the edge of the box and the defence somehow managed to clear the danger but it was the first real sight of goal for either side.

Our wide players were not having any joy getting forward and the service to the Two strikers was non existent, for me Flynn Downes was having hisa least effective game of the season, yes he did some good things but all too often his usual dependable passing was wayward and a couple of times it played us into danger. Doncaster appeared to be targeting Kenlock at LB who it has to be said was having a torrid afternoon once again but he was not being helped by a lack of cover from the lazy looking Judge which is probably why Edwards was switched to that side and it seemed to improve for a time. The old guard of Chambers and Skuse had been Two of the better players while Vincent-Young was looking lively in the RB slot and made a couple of good runs, Woolfenden too hadn't really put a foot wrong alongside the skipper.

Town did have a couple of half chances as the half wore on with Judge & Downes both trying speculative shots which never really threatened the goal and flew wide or over the bar but at least it was finally getting close to their goal. With the half almost over the visitors came so close to taking a well deserved lead but Holy in the Town goal made another good save but from the loose ball how they did not score I don't know but a player appear to slip at the crucial time with the open goal at his mercy, it was a real let off for Town. Going in level was actually a decent outcome as we had just not been at the races at all with too many players off colour, Judge & Edwards offered little, Downes had struggled at times although did do some good stuff too while Norwood & Jackson had little supply to feed off, Kenlock at LB was woeful and clearly a weak link which Doncaster had realised as time and again they attacked with purpose down that side.

The second half started much better for Town who almost immediately had their best chance of the game, Edwards finally putting a good delivery into the box where Jackson got above the defender to get his head to the ball but unfortunately it flew wide of the far post. Not long after Jackson had another effort which was poor but the game was looking far more open and end to end already. Midway through the half Norwood had his first real sight of goal with a one on one chance but the keeper came out on top as the Town striker took the ball a little bit too wide making the shooting opportunity harder than it needed to be but at least Town were on top for spells now.

Chances were still coming at either end and following another effort from Doncaster Vincent-young made a great surging run through the Doncaster midfield, riding Two tackles before unleashing a shot which just sailed over the corner of the post and bar with the keeper beaten. With time running down Town had another real lucky escape as a shot from outside the box beat Holy all ends up before crashing off the post and away to safety. The final chance of the game fell to Norwood in the dying moments and what a chance it was, a long hopeful ball was played over the top and it fell right in the path of Norwood who took a touch before bringing it forward and smashed his effort goalwards but the keeper got his hands to it to pull off a great save, it really was a chance to steal the points and had he hit it low it would surely have won us the game which would have been quite an injustice to Doncaster.

Holy.....(7) Made Two or Three good saves to keep us in it and by and large was solid in everything he did.

Vincent-Young....(7) I really like this guy, so confident on the ball and at times was the pick of our attacking options, never troubled defensively.

Woolfenden...(6) Started really well and looked assured, had a couple of dodgy moments in the second which so nearly proved costly when trying to do too much.

Chambers...(7) Solid from the skipper and made a couple of really good timely blocks and interceptions, stood firm throughout.

Kenlock....(4) I am getting concerned about Myles as he is most definitely the weak link and looks to have gone backwards, needs competition for his place.

Downes....(6) Not his best game but can't be too critical on one average performance, still did some good work but passing was iffy today.

Skuse....(8) MOTM for me all day long, looked assured and in command with everything he did, won loads of ball in the middle and seemed to cover every blade of grass.

Judge....(5) Not sold on Judge at all, a bit of a liability at times for me, poor delivery, almost every one is over hit, I question his value to the team.

Edwards....(6) Started slowly but improved, gave Kenlock better support when switched, one super cross for Jackson to get a header in. We need more though.

Jackson....(5) Very little service and aw little of the ball, did have a couple of half chances but not really his day today.

Norwood...(5) Those who say he is poor at One on One's had a point today as he came up second best in Two of them when he should have hit the target, can never question his desire or work ethic.

All in all it was a bit of a day to forget for Town, that said we didn't lose against a very good Doncaster side who for me are the best team we have played this season and I can see why they are also unbeaten. We also climb back up into the top Two and keep the unbeaten start to the season going, for me it is a point gained as we would have lost that game all day long the last few seasons. I think the break last week did us no favours but it could have been worse. So we move on to MK Dons Tuesday night who shouldn't be as good as our opponents today but we need to up our game to the levels of previous matches if we want to be victorious, I am sure we will improve on today by quite a bit.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:09 pm

They played 451 this gave them the extra player in midfield. This really helped them overload the flanks in both attack and defence. Lambert says systems dont win games but their system nullified our possession. Going forward they always had two out wide and played really expansive football.

There was improvement second half, Nolan came on for Downes and looked to play further forward. Georgiou came on for Edwards he looked threatening but didn’t get much space to play in. Norwood had two good chances second half the first he made himself by beating defender one on one but the keeper came out well to deny him. The second was easier Norwood went high near post and the keeper saved it.

We definitely did not deserve to win but all in all I think a draw was a fair result.
Last edited by Ando on Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:14 pm

Hey lads don’t be too despondent. 10 years ago to the day with Paul Lambert in charge Norwich City lost 2-1 at Milton Keynes and after the days results sat 14th in the table with just 8 points. September was also a bad month for them winning just 6 points from five games. At the end of the season they were League One Champions with 95 points.

I’m watching them tonight v Manchester City and at the time of writing they are leading 3-1 and playing some great football and have every chance of being the first newly promoted side to win v a Pep Guardiola side.

If we can replicate their progress most of us could still see Town playing in the Premier League in our life time.

The commentator has just said that that this time last season NC were sitting 17th in the Championship having drawn 1-1 in their previous game v Ipswich at Portman Road.

All this gives me hope and belief that the good days will return, all we need is to believe this can happen.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:17 pm

You thought we deserved a point Ando? I thought we stole it but I'll take it lol

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:22 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:54 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:01 pm

Was it a sh*te result at Portman Road?
Yes. What a shyte result at Portman Road.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:23 pm

It’s a long long season with plenty of ups and downs ahead I’m certainly not despondent.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:40 pm

Any news on when Garbutt will be fit to play. I think we’re missing him backing up the front men with a little goal power from the midfield.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:51 pm

No reason for anyone to be despondant, I'm certainly not, unbeaten and second in the table, plenty to be pleased about.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:23 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:40 pm
Any news on when Garbutt will be fit to play. I think we’re missing him backing up the front men with a little goal power from the midfield.
Think he’s not far away I think he will replace Kenlock as either a wingback or at left back probably in the next couple of games. PL was on the radio saying Kenlock needs a break.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:25 pm

We hadn't played particularly good in some of the past matches and the results were kind of papers over the cracks. Things aren't as rosy as to how we actually play as some of our fans have been thinking but we got away with some results. Peterborough away and Wimbledon home for instance.

4-4-2 at home with TWO DEFENSIVE midfielders. Are we coming back to the mccarthys crap?

Anyway not losing and a clean sheet has to be deemed relief given the circumstances. I can't say I'm happy but the only way to redeem it is to beat MK Dons on Tuesday.

During the week in which Lambert has said that the systems don't win you games just players do means that the players simply haven't delivered.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:45 pm

I think the two defensive midfielders is an issue with 442 over a period of time. however I think that’s been forced on PL with injuries and has deemed to work because of results. I think moving forward we will see Skuse and Downs share a spot unless the formation changes.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:30 pm

same old, same old.........

Our passing is diasbolical - actually we can't pass the ball for toffee.

Very fortunate to get a point having been completely outplayed by the mighty Doncaster.

Whilst 40 miles up the road, our closest rivals beat the best team in the country.

Good luck to them, but where did it all go wrong for us.

Marcus Evans is far higher in the personal wealth league than Delia Smith. Says it all really.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:36 am

Mixed bag about today. On one hand the unbeaten run continues but given the caliber of opponents thus far is that really saying much. Second in the league with believe a game to make up over other challengers is promising.

Not the first time we've been held at home over a team we're expected to overcome and with it, a lackluster and tepid performance. 19,000 crowd seems a fine figure, of course take into account our league placing and hitherto unbeaten start as mentioned. Damn international week broke up any momentum you can argue.

The next three fixtures appear winnable although a definite improvement is required from today for points to occur. Bolton again, you see the result, and you got to feel empathy for the situation. Kind of lends perspective, at least (we can) take any positives from today and improve for next time.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:23 am

rossi wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:30 pm
same old, same old.........

Our passing is diasbolical - actually we can't pass the ball for toffee.

Very fortunate to get a point having been completely outplayed by the mighty Doncaster.

Whilst 40 miles up the road, our closest rivals beat the best team in the country.

Good luck to them, but where did it all go wrong for us.

Marcus Evans is far higher in the personal wealth league than Delia Smith. Says it all really.
But large number of our 'special' fans keep ... thanking Evans.

Where did it all go wrong for us? Last few years and Evans' policy led us to where we are now and that gap between Norwich are ourselves is really embarrassing, however some still say ... thank you Marcus.

4-4-2 with two defensive midfielders AT HOME IN LEAGUE ONE !!! :evil:

The top of the table is so tight therefore win on Tuesday is imperative.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:13 am

Ando wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:45 pm
I think the two defensive midfielders is an issue with 442 over a period of time. however I think that’s been forced on PL with injuries and has deemed to work because of results. I think moving forward we will see Skuse and Downs share a spot unless the formation changes.
Definately the 4-4-2 is an issue. The central partnership of Downes and Skuse isn’t creative enough and the wide players in Judge and Edwards are not doing enough. I thought also that Skuse was - if not the best player - was one of the best. Downes was nowhere near as effective yesterday. One point is.... whenever Skuse is the best player it usually means we don’t play well.
I think we need an extra midfielder in there to stop us getting overrun and to link better with the strikers. I’m getting pissed of Judge who wanders of his wing too much and doesn’t support Kenlock, who’s the obvious weak link and teams are exposing the left side too much.
With the players we’ve got.... wing backs could be the way forward. KVY on the right and either Garbutt/Georgiou on the left with Woolf/ Chambers/ Nsiala in defence. And someone like Nolan/Judge in front of Skownes. Two up top.

I think, though, Lambert prefers the one up top formation and can see him going for that with perhaps Jackson making way eventually.
Hardly a crisis ... early days and the league’s sorting itself out. We’re unbeaten and in second place. Probably 4-4-2 could be effective enough against weaker sides, but I expect a bit of tinkering.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:51 am

I agree with much of that Tang, especially the bit about Judge, he really pisses me off too. However I don't believe that playing both Downes and Skuse is an issue at all, for me they have pretty much been our best Two players this season and we are where we are with tbem in the side, unbeaten, second, scoring goals, clean sheets etc etc.

For me it is the wide players, Judge & Edwards in particular that are causing most of the problems, creating little, dire delivery, no goal threat, little defensive support to the full backs and as you say in judge's case often out of position, he clearly isn't good or happy out wide and wants to be in behind the striker which by his own admission is his preferred position. Kenlock too needs dropping but atm we have little option until Garbutt is fully fit which hopefully won't be long but there is little to be concerned about in the grand scheme of things, an off day against a decent League One side abd we picked up a point, we will have worse days as Lambert keeps reminding us but we will have far more good days too.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:35 am

Even though some will be disappointed at the final result, me included, we do need to look at the bigger picture.

Early days and some of the squad to be back to full fitness and find form, saying that there are one or two who need to be dropped or offloaded.

2nd in league, unbeaten, game in hand, looking good really albeit it is only September, just need to get to full strength and bang a few goals in, PL does know what he is doing so got to be patient.

Keep positive as will only drag you down :-)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:48 am

Three clean sheets in a row in League games has gone unnoticed too, doesn't matter who its against its a big improvement from when Bart was in goal.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:01 am

This is true mike, but Bart was normally a lot busier than Holy has been. Holy seems to have settled down a bit now and his kicking is getting more consistent. He is definitely more assured taking crosses than Bart.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:46 am

What I've noticed about Holy is how he shrieks at the defence too, he's a talker where as Bart was a mute.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:02 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:46 am
What I've noticed about Holy is how he shrieks at the defence too, he's a talker where as Bart was a mute.
You don’t like Bart very much do you? :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:06 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:02 am
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:46 am
You don’t like Bart very much do you? :D
Nope, overrated pile of crap.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:21 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:35 am
Even though some will be disappointed at the final result, me included, we do need to look at the bigger picture.

Early days and some of the squad to be back to full fitness and find form, saying that there are one or two who need to be dropped or offloaded.

2nd in league, unbeaten, game in hand, looking good really albeit it is only September, just need to get to full strength and bang a few goals in, PL does know what he is doing so got to be patient.

Keep positive as will only drag you down :-)
good post Dazzz67

the thing is the Town are now a big fish in a small pond, clubs will play well above themselves especially at Portman Road,
as you say "Keep positive" PL does know what he is doing so got to be patient and get out of this league quick,
every club has there hole picker club but luckily at ITFC only has a membership of 2 LOL .
we have fans now calling for Nuno's head :astroll:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:30 pm

Calling for his head John? Really? It sums it up it really does.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:55 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:30 pm
Calling for his head John? Really? It sums it up it really does.

Makes you wonder aye, luckily enough most have now sussed to just ignore the fools, COYB & WWFC.

this reply by a Wolf hit the nail on the head "
"I've got no clue how I would fix it. That's why I'm just an IS consultant and not a premier league gaffer on **** knows how many grands a week."And if neither are you then your opinion on an internet forum has absolutely no value whatsoever"

We got a good hiding yesterday but its going to happen, looking on the bright side both our clubs could be back competing against each other next season , Donna misses our yearly trip to the home of the Pride of East Anglia. 8)