Gillingham FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Keep the party going this weekend?

Gillingham Win
33%
Ipswich Win
50%
Draw
17%

Total votes: 12

Frosty
Forum Owner

Gillingham FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:18 pm

Image Gillingham FC vs Ipswich Town Image

Saturday 21st September 2019 – 15:00

Preistfield Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

The Tractor Keeps Rolling On......

Anyone starting to believe yet ? Eight games in and still unbeaten, Second in the table with a game in hand, Four clean sheets on the bounce and still a few gears to move through where performances are concerned, yes at the moment things are looking good for Town. Tuesday's trip to MK Dons was the proverbial game of Two halves, totally dominant in the first Forty Five where we could have been out of sight by half time but had only a Jon Nolan counter to show for our efforts, quite how Jackson & Vincent-Young didn't both score is anyone's guess but having seen the chances again on the highlights they have to go down in the guilt edge category but aside from that some of the Football we played was really good and the Dons hardly broke into our half at times never mind our Box.

I still don't understand why we switched our formation to counter theirs, it makes no sense to me as we were completely on top during the early stages and they weren't hurting us at all but following our switch they gradually began to ease themselves into the game and as we all saw the second half saw us defending for much of it, I think sometimes it is easy to forget that defending is part and parcel of the game and to do it will should be recognised too and for me we did defend well, Holy made Three decent saves, Chambers & Wilson stood firm throughout and Vincent-Young continues to impress both defensively and going forward, Garbutt for me is wasted at LB and he won nothing in the air at the back post which was a concern. I was impressed with Nolan & Downes and Nolan could really be a big player for us once he's in full swing.

Clearly the big negative from Tuesday night was seeing James Norwood limping off with what turned out to be a Groin strain during the First half, at the time of writing we have no news as to the severity of it but the way Lambert spoke after the game it was suggested Norwood will be keen to play on through the pain barrier which indicates it's a niggling injury rather than anything to serious, fingers crossed and time will tell.

I don't think it should go unmentioned just how fantastic our support was once again, 3,360 Tractor Boys and Girls all playing their part to make it a victorious evening and even when we were somewhat holding on in the second half I didn't hear anything negative at all, in fact there was good appreciation of the way we were standing firm with what they were throwing at us, tension was in the air for sure but no nastiness as in the recent past so each and every one of those fans should take a bow, that for me is what true support is all about and we are reaping the rewards at the moment, long may it continue.

Gillingham Next Up

So can we make it Nine unbeaten ? Can we get back to the top of the table ? What's the chances of Five clean sheets on the bounce ? All we revealed as we head to Kent to take on Gillingham. The Gills find themselves in Mid Table with Ten points from their opening Eight games, they do score goals and their Fourteen league goal to date have been shared around the squad, so far their stand out result was a home win against Wycombe Wanderers who have started the season in decent form so they cannot be underestimated, their line up doesn't have anyone familiar to me again so it's hard to know where the threat may come from but leading the scoring charts for them so far is Alex Jakubiak with Four goals so he will need o be kept quiet but with our defence being so mean right now I am confident we can do just that.

No game can be taken for granted but I do fancy us in this one and I think we can keep the good start going, Three more very welcome points ahead of a home game with Tranmere Rovers would be a super position to be in and with Coventry not playing this weekend even a draw would see us back on top of the table. So it's another win for me with Town bagging their Fourth away win of the season and with over 2000 fans cheering them on thanks to another sell out it could yet be another fab away day to celebrate Saturday evening. COYB'S!

The Opposition – Gillingham

The local success of a junior football side, Chatham Excelsior F.C., encouraged a group of businessmen to meet with a view to creating a football club which could compete in larger competitions. New Brompton F.C. was formed at the meeting, held on 18 May 1893.

The founders also purchased the plot of land which later became Priestfield Stadium. The new club played its first match on 2 September 1893, losing 1–5 to Woolwich Arsenal's reserve side in front of a crowd of 2,000. New Brompton were among the founder members of the Southern League upon its creation in 1894, and were placed in Division Two. They were named Champions in the first season (1894–95) going on to defeat Swindon Town in a test match to win promotion.

In the seasons that followed, the club struggled in Division One, finishing bottom in the 1907–08 season, avoiding relegation only due to expansion of the league. Whilst the club's league performance was disappointing, the side did manage a famous cup victory over Football League First Division Sunderland and held Manchester City to a draw before losing in the replay. In 1912 the directors passed a resolution to change the club's name to Gillingham F.C., and the team played under this name throughout the 1912–13 season, although the change was not officially ratified by the shareholders until the following year. The team finished bottom of Division One in the 1919–20 season but for a third time avoided relegation, due to the subsequent elevation of all Southern League Division One clubs to form the new Football League Division Three.

In the first season of the newly created Football League Division Three, the 1920–21 season, Gillingham again finished bottom, and in the years to follow there was little improvement on this, the club continually finishing in the lower reaches of the bottom division.

In 1938 the team finished bottom of the Third Division (South) and were required to apply for re-election for the fifth time since joining the league. This bid for re-election failed, with Gillingham returning to the Southern League and Ipswich Town being promoted in their place.

Gillingham quickly established themselves as one of the stronger sides in the league, winning a local double of the Kent League and Kent Senior Cup in the 1945–46 season. In the 1946–47 season the team won both the Southern League Cup and the Southern League championship, during which they recorded a club record 12–1 victory over Gloucester City. The Gills also won the league title in 1948–49.
In 1950, plans were announced to expand the Football League Division Three (South) from 22 to 24 teams and, taking into account their local success in the interim, Gillingham were re-elected to the Football League with a landslide vote.

The team spent eight seasons in Division Three (South) before the restructuring of the league system for the 1958–59 season saw them placed in the newly created Fourth Division. They remained in this division until 1964, when manager Freddie Cox led them to promotion, winning the first championship in the club's history. The team finished the season level on 60 points with Carlisle United, but with a fractionally better goal average (1.967 against 1.948), which was the tightest league title finish in Football League history.

After relegation back to the Fourth Division in 1970–71, the Gills were soon promoted back to the Third Division in the 1973–74 season. After this the club seemed to find its level in Division Three, regularly mounting a challenge for promotion which ultimately fell short each time, never more so than in 1986–87 when they reached the play-offs only to lose in the final to Swindon Town. During this period the club produced future stars Steve Bruce and Tony Cascarino, who was famously bought from non-league Crockenhill in exchange for a set of tracksuits.

In 1987, the Gills hit the headlines when, on consecutive Saturdays, they beat Southend United 8–1 and Chesterfield 10–0, the latter a club record for a Football League match. Just a few months later, however, manager Keith Peacock was controversially sacked, and within 18 months the club had fallen into Division Four. The ensuing spell in the lower division brought little success, and in the 1992–93 Division Three campaign the Gills narrowly avoided relegation to the Football Conference.

Beset with financial problems, the club went into administration in January 1995, and by the end of the 1994–95 season faced the threat of being expelled from the Football League and closed down. In June 1995, however, a London-based businessman, Paul Scally, stepped in and bought the club. He brought in new manager Tony Pulis, who led Gillingham to promotion in his first season, finishing second in the old Division Three (now Football League Two).

In 1999 the Gills made the play-offs but lost in the Division Two play-off final to Manchester City. The Gills were 2–0 up with less than two minutes left only to see City score twice, the equaliser in injury time, and go on to win 3–1 in a penalty shoot-out. Soon after the play-off loss, Pulis was sacked for gross misconduct, and Peter Taylor appointed manager. In the 1999–00 season Gillingham qualified for the play-offs again, where they faced Wigan Athletic in the final at Wembley Stadium. The game finished 1–1 after 90 minutes, but, thanks to goals in extra time from substitutes Steve Butler and Andy Thomson, the Gills won 3–2 and were promoted to Division One for the first time.

Taylor then left to manage Leicester City, and Andy Hessenthaler was appointed as player-manager. He led the club to their best ever league finish of eleventh in the 2002–03 season, but the following season saw the club narrowly avoid relegation on goal difference. Hessenthaler resigned as manager in November 2004, and new boss Stan Ternent was unable to prevent the Gills' relegation to League One.

At the end of the 2007–08 season the club was relegated again, this time to League Two, but an immediate return to the third level was secured via the play-offs after beating Shrewsbury Town.

In the 2009–10 season, however, the Gills slipped into the bottom four on the last day, and were relegated back to League Two, having failed to win a single away game in the league all season. This resulted in manager Mark Stimson having his contract terminated, and Andy Hessenthaler was appointed as manager of the club for the second time. At the start of the 2012–13 season Hessenthaler was replaced by Martin Allen, who led the club to promotion as League Two champions in his first season in charge. However, shortly after winning League Two, Martin Allen was sacked in what many saw as a "surprise sacking" after a poor start to the season.

Peter Taylor returned for a second spell in charge, but following his sacking in December 2014 he was replaced by Justin Edinburgh which saw the Gils finish in 12th place.

The 2015–16 was his first full season in charge, Edinburgh led the Gills to a second-place position at Christmas, after a 3–0 victory against Millwall. Gillingham had also managed to defeat League favourites Sheffield United, with a 4–0 victory on the first day of the season. However, after a run of bad injuries to crucial players, Gillingham slipped to a ninth-place finish in League One, after losing on the last day of the season, against Millwall.

Edinburgh was sacked on 3 January 2017, along with his entire coaching team, with the club placed 17th in League One.

Last season Gillingham finished in 13th place.

On 21 May 2019, Steve Evans was announced as the new manager of Gillingham and began his role on 1 June 2019.

The Manager – Steve Evans

Form Guide

Gillingham Last 5 Matches – currently in 15th place with 10 points

24 Aug Coventry City 1 - 0 Gillingham

31 Aug Gillingham 5 - 0 Bolton

7 Sep Tranmere 2 - 2 Gillingham

14 Sep Gillingham 2 - 0 Wycombe

17 Sep Bristol Rovers 1 - 1 Gillingham

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – currently in 2nd place with 18 points

20 Aug Ipswich Town 2 - 1 Wimbledon

24 Aug Bolton 0 - 5 Ipswich Town

31 Aug Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Shrewsbury

14 Sep Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Doncaster

17 Sep Milton Keynes 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

Marko’s Caption Competition -THE DON CUP

Unfortunately, Marko has family matters to attend to this week, so have a crack at the following picture – cheers Dave.

Match Referee – Christopher Sarginson

GILLINGHAM 1 IPSWICH TOWN 1

Tangfastic

Re: Gillingham FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:27 am

In regards to Norwoods injury.... he was an enforcer at a charity wrestling match last night.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/james-norw ... -1-6277872

He didn’t look like he was protecting a serious groin injury. Can’t be serious at all, judging by his moves.

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:02 am

Think we will win 2-1. Holy returning to former club should inspire him even more to continue his good form. Can’t work out the Norwood injury. Wonder if he will start on the bench.

My lad and I have tickets and will be driving down, where are people planning to meet pre game?

I have been informed parking is a bloody nightmare.

Caption 1 Hey I’m not a fat waste of space, I am just thick boned

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:27 am

Will try to sort out where we are heading pre game Ando and let you know. We went to the pre season game last season and I don't recall having major issues parking, think it was just in a off street from memory.

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:57 am

👍

looks like it will be dry thank goodness. Must be a nightmare when it rains. I understand the club gives out free ponchos when it does.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:19 am

Caption. Look at the size of that fat fuc-er oh that's a mirror.

Sorry to say I think we might slip up 2-1 😞

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:38 am

Kerry Blue wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:19 am
Caption. Look at the size of that fat fuc-er oh that's a mirror.

Sorry to say I think we might slip up 2-1 😞
I’ve been thinking we’ll slip up for the past few games - as we’re due a slip up.

On the other hand - maybe we’re also due a totally convincing, dominant, barn-storming performance and win, too.

I’ll go for a 2-0 win based mostly on blue-tinted specs.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:09 am

Caption: You b*stard. You ate all the pies before I had the chance to.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:17 am

Caption 2: So you Ipswich fans think it’s funny to call me a fat b*stard. You won’t be laughing when I join you in doing the bouncy bouncy and you fly in the air out of that temporary stand.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:28 am

Steve Evans auditioning for the Fat b*stard part in the forthcoming Austin Powers movie.

First things first. Where's your shitter?! I've got a turtle head poking out!”

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:55 am

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:28 am

Caption:
Steve Evans auditioning for the Fat b*stard part in the forthcoming Austin Powers movie.

First things first. Where's your shitter?! I've got a turtle head poking out!”

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:28 pm

Caption 1: Touch my f**king chips one more time.....

Caption 2: Steve Evans gives a committed performance of the YMCA..... ‘oooooh young man....’

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:08 pm

Caption 2 having now been screwed by so many clubs Steve Evans decides to launch his own range of adult dolls with the simple instructions ‘pull here to inflate’

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:18 pm

Can't make the game, sh*t happens but just one of those things. Guess if we'd been mid-league or not such a bright start ticket availability may have been easier. Imagine a considerable number will make the trip but right now need to focus on what occurs on field not numbers in the stadium.

This will be tough they're better than some would imagine and expect the opposition to make it a challenge. Was there in '05 towards the end of the season when it finished 0 - 0, believe our play-off spot was already assured at time of event. Have we played them again since then in a competitive game, seriously, unable to recall right now.

Time's short so get to the point and vote for an away victory, maybe 3 - 1 to us. Predictions can go awry but it should be a good event.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:36 pm

2-0 Town (I hope).

Caption 1 - 'leave my pies alone or I will put you on for that last 30 seconds!'

Caption 2 - whats that coming over the hill - fat b*stard, fat b*stard!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:26 pm

Caption 1: "Ye farted, not Ah..yi smelly belter!!!"

Caption 2: "Go on, pull my finger again yi wee bugger!!!"

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:40 am

Caption 1 I'm telling you now
Caption 2 I'm not listening now

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:20 pm

Captoin - Oi You, yes You, gimme your pie

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:21 pm

Caption 1. Two security guards protect Steve Evans Hamper while he points out a potential thief.

Caption 2. Steve Evans is asked if he would like to contribute to the save the whale Campaign but takes it personally and tells somebody to f*ck off!!

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:54 pm

A long, arse trek for me but looking forward to it. My first visit at Gillingham therefore a new ground to tick off.

Lots of changes last Tuesday so it is anyone's guess what first 11 is going to be. My personal wish is to continue with the attacking approach.

Sold out for us, yet another wonderful away following. Just need 3 points to make it a perfect day out.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:45 pm

Apparently the away fans pub tomorrow is the Fleur De Lis

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:39 am

Caption Comp1: Steve Evans says "YES I DID WASH MY HANDS" take a sniff....
Applying Hemorrhoid Cream For External Use
1.Squeeze the tube of hemorrhoid cream and apply a small amount to your finger.
2.Apply the hemorrhoid cream around the outside of your anus with your finger.
3.Use hemorrhoid cream 2 to 3 times during the day, including before bed and first thing in the morning.
4.Wash your hands thoroughly with warm water and soap after each application of hemorrhoid cream.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:05 am

Caption 1 .... "oi!!! No I haven't got the spare footballs down my f**king jkt !!!"

Caption 2...."Hey what do you mean Evans has got Two big tits up front again? I'm playing 4-5-1"

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:30 am

Ipswich win 3-0 , 3 points on my birthday will do grand thanks !!

Caption comp 1
" oi, feck off and stop following me, for the last time , im NOT DUNCAN " CHASE ME " NORVILLE!!!

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:30 am

I think PL is showing he’s got more tactical nous than his contemporaries in this division so I’m going for another eked out 1-0 away win.

Caption: bored steward uses foot-pump to inflate blow-up angry manager

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:35 am

Caption Comp2:" Hats the way to do it, Hats the way to do it". Mr Punch standing behind Steve Evans

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:26 pm

Do not like the look of the Team today. Dozzell, Edwards Judge with Jackson up top on his own. Looks like 3 at the back. Worrying. :|

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:29 pm

Norwood, Garbutt and Nolan back on the bench . Keane, too.

Wilson, Chambo and Woolf in 3 man defence. KVY and Edwards’s as wingbacks. Dozzell and Judge come in. Jackson up front with maybe Judge behind him.

That’s a line up I didn’t expect. Losing a lot of goals with players rested. Not sure if Dozzell got it in him... but big opportunity for him. Jackson’s not a target man so hopefully we’ll pass it on the floor. Line up looks a bit experimental.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:29 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:26 pm
Do not like the look of the Team today. Dozzell, Edwards Judge with Jackson up top on his own. Looks like 3 at the back. Worrying. :|
Agree,think we will struggle with that line up.strong looking bench though.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:43 pm

Magicmark wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:29 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:26 pm
Agree,think we will struggle with that line up.strong looking bench though.
I think we’ll miss Norwoods physicality up front most. We’ll see ... maybe we’re forced to play it on the ground with no Norwood, but Judge and Dozzell come in with no form between them this season. Decent bench, but we’re only allowed 3 subs. Not sure about this... but footballs a funny old game. COYB.