Gillingham FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Keep the party going this weekend?

Gillingham Win
33%
Ipswich Win
50%
Draw
17%

Total votes: 12

arana peligrosa

Re: Gillingham FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 pm

Was going to provide the starting XI but seems we already have the announced teams and bench. Don't know, looks like a set-up that can handle things although would have expected a number of the available subs to have started from the off. In an ideal world should have been there today but it wasn't to be. Even a point today will take the team to the summit of the league as believe Coventry not involved but expect a tough contest out there. Not taking anything for granted at this stage of the season, there is still very much to do in the time ahead.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:33 pm

1-0 town Kvy header

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:53 pm

Well we’re the better side, but Gillingham are crap. Gillingham had a spell from 25-30 mins where they really should have scored, but they look poor and we should really go for that second goal to kill the game. KVY is a steal at 500 K. Just seems to be more quicker and trickier than anyone else on the field.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:04 pm

A 6th clean sheet would be very welcome. COYB’s

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:53 pm

COYB another clean sheet TOP OF LEAGUE 1-0

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:55 pm

Full time, important 3pts, could've been easier, but certainly can't complain!

However can complain about Man City only sticking 8 past Watford, that stupid record still stands...

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:56 pm

Get in there.

But once again a bit clinging on. But every 3 points a prisoner..... so COYB.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:12 pm

Well done lads,top of the league :D

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:22 pm

Another clean sheet 3pts and Top of the league :)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:23 pm

GET IN BOYS !!!! As Jonny said we eeked it out but we defended so so well with a lot of high balls coming in, Chambo, wilson and Woolfy were excellent while Vincent-Young was MOTM again, Huws came on and added some composure and quality when needed. Holy so solid with most of what he had to do, don't recall a serious save. Still not keen on Judge and Edwards at times. Our goal was a cracking passage of play and move, there must have been over 20 passes in the build up and what a cross by Jackson and run by Vincent-Young. Top of the league and 5 clean sheets in a row. Life is good.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:26 pm

5 clean sheets, Mick... you’d be spunking big time and spoiling those clean sheets.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:28 pm

5 clean sheets on the bounce and top of the league WOW
What a find we have in KVY :D

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:13 pm

Looking good, only another 70 pts to go. happy days.my last trip to the Gills we got there 35 mins late and thrown out before half time, mistaken identity involving a JCB and a miss-informed security.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:39 pm

Strange atmosphere today, wonder if no roof was the cause. Definitely missed Norwood presence up front at times today. Their centre back never really looked in too much bother today especially when Judge was competing for headers. Judge was unlucky when he hit the post after a great run from KVY.

Lambert is not afraid to change it around and he did the same today and we won. Our bench was ridiculously strong today. Still feel we have a couple of gears to go threw and could play with a little more urgency especially at restarts after fouls goal kicks etc.

Nice to see Holy get a good reception from the home fans today.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:50 pm

Paul Lambert has labelled Gillingham manager Steve Evans a “disgrace” for post-match “lies” claiming the Blues boss had said “something very concerning” to him during the game and had also insulted one of his players.

“He said something rather concerning, during the game,” Evans, 56, is reported to have said by the Kent Messenger.

“I spoke very politely to the fourth official and the referee noted it at half-time. He tried to put his arm around me and asked that I wouldn’t say anything further to the referee.

"He doesn’t need to come and talk to me [after the final whistle]. After what he said during the game in the first half. It was really alarming.

"Lots gets said between benches. Every week, there will have been tussles (between benches) at Lincoln and Oxford, tussles at Doncaster and Peterborough, there are differences of opinion, that is all it is and then it goes away. Not not what happened today. But we will let the referee and people that need to know deal with that. They are aware."

Evans wouldn’t elaborate on precisely what was said: “He said something that would concern someone in the street, never mind a professional football manager trying to win a game. I will leave it at that and leave the referee to do what he has to do.”

The much-travelled boss, who along with his assistant Paul Raynor maintained a lively dialogue with the fourth official and the Town bench from the first minute of the game and refused to shake hands with Lambert at the final whistle, also claimed the Blues manager had made a comment to one of his players, Jack Tucker, who was making his first league start.

“You don’t do that in this game do you?” Evans continued. “You don’t need to shout at a young man making his debut, ‘you’re rubbish son’ when he kicks one ball out of the park.”

In response an angry Lambert, who in his post-match comments had sought to make light of the touchline exchanges, told the club site: “I have seen Steve Evans’s comments and they are disgraceful and a load of lies. The abuse that was coming from their bench was vile.

“I have worked in the Premier League and I’m competitive and gone up against some great managers but I have always shown total respect throughout my career.

“I went to shake hands with Steve Evans at the end of the game and his assistant but they waved me away. That’s up to them but it shows a lack of respect and it’s not how I play the game.

“As for saying I spoke to one of the players the way he has suggested, complete rubbish and lies. I would never talk to a player like that. I went around saying ‘well played’ to their players after the game.

“What’s been said by Steve Evans is a disgrace and what I and my assistant Stuart Taylor had to put up with on the touchline was a disgrace as well. 
” 
It’s not the first time Evans has made derogatory comments about a Blues manager after losing to Town.

In 2016 when boss of Leeds, following a 2-1 Blues win at Portman Road, Evans slammed Mick McCarthy’s Blues for “lumping” the ball up to striker Daryl Murphy, said they had been “as bad in spells as we were” and dismissively added that if Town were “the benchmark [for the play-offs] then we’ll take that benchmark”.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:49 pm

Must have been one of the last to get todays score but bottom line it's a victory and the unbeaten 'run' continues. Tough opposition it were never going to be straight forward although don't know the traveling number as yet. If someone had said the team would be top of the league with a zero loss percentage back in July I wouldn't have believed it.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:09 am

Chopping and changing again. Plenty of squad rotation in the recent games but as long as it doesn't affect negatively our results it's fine then.
We have been quite lucky to have got this fixture on a very warm Saturday afternoon as freezing December/January days must be a terrible experience for an away fan in this place.

Distance wise it's been my 2nd longest trip ever for the Town league game but it's a new ground to tick off my list.

A game of few scoring opportunities. Deserved win but we like to make it hard for ourselves don't we?
First half was like a drab, pre-season picnic. Both sets of players lazy and nothing really worth of note until about 30 minute. One deflected shot of a Gillingham player followed by the another that flew just over the bar.
A moment later another danger in our box as the hosts perhaps sensed opportunities as Town players hadn't offered much up to that point.

However what a good answer from us soon after that as Vincent-Young met the cross from the left wing and headed home. Some reward from the players for our fans for the boring, poor 1st half. Yes we were the better team, better with the ball but the performance wasn't too impressive.

My wish at half time was to see Norwood and Nolan to give us some spark. Got the latter on and we were more lively indeed although we threatened only twice as Judge hit the post following a run and pass from Vincent-Young and Nolan's shot was parried away by Bonham. A couple of minutes before that Chambers saved us from conceding a goal.

Plenty of corners for the hosts mostly well dealt with by our defence and assured Holy. Our inability to kill the game off (once again) was the most irritating aspect of the game for me. Any mistake or lapse in concentration is always possible so why do we make it a bit hard again?

Gillingham players particularly forwards were very visibly lacking quality therefore the luck was with us.

My MOTM is going for Vincent-Young. For his goal, for going forward, for the run and pass to Judge after which the latter hit the post. A full-back playing like this is something we lacked in the last few years.
Chambers heavily slated after his mistake against Sunderland seems to be doing what is expected from the skipper. Saved us today and had a good, commanding performance. Wilson yet another faultless one. Holy seemed calm and assured in the goal.

The negatives are Edwards and Dozzell as both have offered little or nothing. The latter had a solitary foray into their box early in the second half but there was no-one to pick up his pass.

My biggest gripe after today is aforementioned inability to kill the game off, to release a tension. We were playing the opposition who were devoid of quality, the bunch of talentless donkeys but our performance wasn't a top notch. Therefore 3 points and yet another clean sheet are by far the biggest positive of the day, far above everything else.

We are in this horrible, tinpot league for merit, for the way Evans has been running the club for years and the quality of football is awful. Some of our past opponents, most notably Gillingham today and it's sad how far we have fallen to play such terrible teams.

Some of our fans will be saying that everything is perfect for us. Perhaps it's a bit hard to argue with them as it's yet another away win, top of the league, clean sheets aplenty. But if we are a top team let's play like a top team, first half against MK Dons last Tuesday was so tasty to watch for example. Nonetheless 3 points gained so all in all a good day out.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:00 am

One thing that did stand out for me regarding Andre Dozzell was his excellent delivery from corners, on the money every time unlike Judge's who over hits every one when he takes them.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:27 am

I think large parts of games will pass Dozzell by. He is not a combative player therefore will not stand out for periods of the game. What he does give us is an ability to inject a bit of urgency in our passing and that was evidence in the 25 pass move for the goal. His pass around the corner during the interchange with Jackson played a significant part in the goal. Great cross from Jackson also. The challenge for him is to do it more often.

It’s made more difficult when the home side leaves the grass long and dry.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:33 am

Agreed, I thought there was a period of play early in the second half where Dozzell actually started to look to impress himself on the game, picking up passes, little give and goe's, One Two's etc and he actually looked OK, granted it was a small period of the game but he looked half decent for that time.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:48 am

Except for KVY being awsome... Nolan changed the game for me. Thank god he is fit again. Proper footballer ego compliments the defensively minded players.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:01 am

Yes he too did well and deffo has a eye for goal with his winner last week and the shot well saved yesterday

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:17 am

I’d like to see Nolan as a fixture in the team. There’s that added goal threat he offers. Not convinced about the squad rotation thing, but could be mostly down to getting certain players to peak fitness. When I saw the team line up I thought it looked a bit too experimental. Another 3 points and I guess it’s justified - but we should have put that game to bed much earlier. I can’t help feel we’re winning games playing at 60% or 70% levels. Should be more to come hopefully.

Dozzell didn’t do enough to convince me.... flashes of class, but goes missing too often. That kid has really got to seize his chance soon or he’ll be overlooked with so many other midfielders available.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:17 am

Thought Jackson ran his butt off for the cause yesterday.
Not only did he supply the cross for the goal but was constantly running the channels. For me Dozzell still doesn’t impose himself enough on games. If all our midfielders are fit I think he will find it hard to get a place in the starting lineup unless he improves.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:18 pm

You are spot on regarding Jackson Shed, his running and work rate does tend to go unnoticed but he never stops and what a cross for the goal, it should be noted too that in the excellent build up to the goal Dozzell was the key and but for him we don't score, that said it needs to happen more often but when he gets it right he is class.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:03 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:17 am
Thought Jackson ran his butt off for the cause yesterday.
Not only did he supply the cross for the goal but was constantly running the channels. For me Dozzell still doesn’t impose himself enough on games. If all our midfielders are fit I think he will find it hard to get a place in the starting lineup unless he improves.
Yep a set-up from Jackson yesterday but he's more dangerous and productive when having Norwood alongside him. The latter having left the pitch at MK has had some effect on Jackson.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:11 pm

Ando wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:27 am
I think large parts of games will pass Dozzell by. He is not a combative player therefore will not stand out for periods of the game. What he does give us is an ability to inject a bit of urgency in our passing and that was evidence in the 25 pass move for the goal. His pass around the corner during the interchange with Jackson played a significant part in the goal. Great cross from Jackson also. The challenge for him is to do it more often.

Agree with a of that ando 👍. The length of the grass was actually the first thing I noticed and commented on to Mike when we got in the ground. Their “ watering “ efforts wet also anther deliberate ploy to give them an advantage.

The verbals in the bench area and at the 4th official was another piece of gamesmanship.
They got what they deserved - no points.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:11 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:17 am
I’d like to see Nolan as a fixture in the team. There’s that added goal threat he offers. Not convinced about the squad rotation thing, but could be mostly down to getting certain players to peak fitness. When I saw the team line up I thought it looked a bit too experimental. Another 3 points and I guess it’s justified - but we should have put that game to bed much earlier. I can’t help feel we’re winning games playing at 60% or 70% levels. Should be more to come hopefully.

Dozzell didn’t do enough to convince me.... flashes of class, but goes missing too often. That kid has really got to seize his chance soon or he’ll be overlooked with so many other midfielders available.
We can only beat what's put in front of us but the quality of this league is really terrible. The gap between Championship and this tinpot Sunday League One is enormous. We aren't playing anything scintillating at all, what we do it's just enough for these awful teams. It's just so painful that we have landed up at this level of football.

Completely agree re Nolan would love him to be our regular starter. As for Dozzell he's been pampered for years by number of our fans because of his surname but he has to improve drastically. If he can't do this at League One level what else can he do with us?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:41 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:11 pm
Ando wrote:

Agree with a of that ando 👍. The length of the grass was actually the first thing I noticed and commented on to Mike when we got in the ground. Their “ watering “ efforts wet also anther deliberate ploy to give them an advantage.

The verbals in the bench area and at the 4th official was another piece of gamesmanship.
They left the grass long so Steve Evans could graze on it for the next few days.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:14 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:41 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:11 pm
Ando wrote:

They left the grass long so Steve Evans could graze on it for the next few days.
Looking at the size of him he needs to graze on the grass more often the big fat lump of lard. He’s a prime for a heart attack the way he behaves