Ipswich Town vs Tranmere Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A new record beckons?

Ipswich Win
87%
Tranmere Win
7%
Draw
7%

Total votes: 15

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tranmere Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:56 am

tangfastic wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:14 am
To avoid handbags - this is from the match-report from the MK Dons game.

Town started with a wing-back system last night, but quickly switched to a diamond-based 4-4-2.

"We planned to play with a back three, but I said to Cole (Skuse) that if he saw them playing with one up top then he should step into midield - and that's what happened," explained Lambert.

Which confirms that diamonds are not forever .... when you have the option of putting Skuse into a back three.
Handbags ? Surely we are just discussing things? But yes we switched and changed all over the place in that game as you point out.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:25 pm

vagally remember going down to a Town v Tranmere match back in the late 80s with dad some uncles, and cousins, one night in the FA or League Cup match ?, lost 0-2 ? was staying in a place called St Mary's, Long Melford visiting family , a coach used to run from there to Portman Road, Good Days,

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:23 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:39 pm
My team....
...........................Holy.......................

.........woolfy......chambo........wilson

KVY.....Downes.....Skuse.....Nolan......Edwards

........................Norwood.........Jackson...............
I think Garbutt will start ahead of Edwards and I have a sneaky feeling judge could start ahead off Jackson only because if we have a game like the Wimbledon first half Judge would be more likely to unlock the defence as where Jackson is better on the counter.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:39 pm

I don't mind Garbutt as a wing back so would be happy with that, I thought he was p*ss poor as an out and out LB though. As for dropping Jackson, big mistake in my opinion, both for the attacking threat and his mind set.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:05 pm

Town win 3 nil

Caption: Oh sorry we're kicking that way are we.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:34 pm

Caption 1: James Norwood reads tractor boys and reacts to Rossi trying to talk sense.

Caption 2: Have you seen this man.... this photo was taken shortly before Ipswich’s club captain reported an unwanted rectal penetration whilst stretching.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:56 am
tangfastic wrote:

Town started with a wing-back system last night, but quickly switched to a diamond-based 4-4-2.

"We planned to play with a back three, but I said to Cole (Skuse) that if he saw them playing with one up top then he should step into midield - and that's what happened," explained Lambert.

Having been to the MK game I never ever want to see is play that formation again. Second half was awful.

Which confirms that diamonds are not forever .... when you have the option of putting Skuse into a back three.
Handbags ? Surely we are just discussing things? But yes we switched and changed all over the place in that game as you point out.
Having been to the MK game I never ever want to see is play that formation again. Second half was awful.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:56 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:56 am
tangfastic wrote:

The handbags comment wasn’t serious :) , but I think the 3 man defence with wing backs suits our players. Maybe mostly because we don’t have an out and out LB. Kenlock hasn’t seized his opportunity this season and looks out of the picture. It means we can accommodate a wing back in Edwards or Garbutt. I like the fact that Skuse can be part of the back three because then we can change things mid-game if he comes into midfield. And then we can squeeze another midfielder from Nolan/Huws/Judge into the team with still two up top. But Chambers/Woolf/Wilson have been really strong the last few games so should we break them up?
I think I’ve read weve used 28 players this season, but I think most people would agree on 8 or 9 of the strongest starting line up.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:30 am

What I like about our current situation is the fact that in recent years our managers have been accused of never having a plan B, well that is certainly not the case under PL, in fact we have a plan C and D at times and we also as you say have the personnel to change things mid game should the need arise. Like you I am liking the 3-5-2 atm as it gives us far better attacking options, Two strikers on the pitch for a start plus wing backs that can get into the box (especially KVY) not to mention either Nolan or whoever else may be playing in Midfield. As for the Three CB's they have all played well and deserve to be in the team right now.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:41 am

I see LB as our weakest position at present. If we could get an upgrade on Kenlock in January it would be the complete squad for L1.

Another positive with the rotation is that players do not feel as if they are being dropped, apart from maybe Kenlock and Rowe. This is good man management which is key to keeping players happy and involved.

It’s easier to say this when the team are winning but I for one have total faith in Lambert and have done since about a couple of weeks of being here. I remember briefly speaking with Mike last week and we both commented on the strange starting lineup. If nothing else the opposite have a tough job in preparing for the game.

I wonder what surprises await us today?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:00 pm

I’d like to see Garbutt play if he’s fit, I think there’s always a potential goal in him the way he gets forward and likes to shoot.

Unfortunately i’m likely to struggle following the game today traveling back from Biarritz.

Will try to pop on here this afternoon to look for an update if I can pick up WiFi in the car.

Another clean sheet would be good, 1-0 or 2-0 to Town for me.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:09 pm

The Woolf has been dropped.

Looks like Skuse in back 3 or diamond geezer. Garbutt at LWB. judge at number 10 behind Nors and Jackson. Nolan and Downes behind Judge.

Rowe back on the bench, but no Will Keane.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:37 pm

Is it confirmed as 3-5-2 or could it be 4-4-2 with the diamond?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:39 pm

No Keane in the squad, no doubt f**king injured again

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:46 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:37 pm
Is it confirmed as 3-5-2 or could it be 4-4-2 with the diamond?
The official team line up picture seems to indicate 3-5-2 and not diamond-Ish. But if Skuse was to step forward ten yards further then it’s diamond-Ish. I suppose it’s for flexibility. I’ll guess we’ll find out when it kicks off.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:55 pm

I’d say at HT we’re second best. Beautiful goal from Garbutt... perfect free kick. And then we gift them a goal.... Chambers gave the ball away and then when eventually the cross came in Holy pushed it in front of their striker.

Disappointed with Downes and Nolan in midfield... Nolan particularly looks of the pace.

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:30 pm

3-1 back in the game.

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:32 pm

4-1 :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:38 pm

Just arrived home to a fabulous surprise, COYB keep it going.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:52 pm

Wow it sounds like it's going well :D

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:01 pm

Good job boys. We keep marching on.

Long may it last!!!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:01 pm

Great result Town really looking forward to going to work Monday and seeing my Tranmere mates.😂

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:06 pm

Really enjoyed the second half. Good to get that second goal.

Never a 90 min performance, but we’ve got individuals who are just better at the right time. KVY’s goal was great .. stepovers and then dropped shoulder into the corner. Maybe a deflection. COYB.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:10 pm

Wooohooo not out of first gear yet either

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:29 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:09 pm
The Woolf has been dropped.

Looks like Skuse in back 3 or diamond geezer. Garbutt at LWB. judge at number 10 behind Nors and Jackson. Nolan and Downes behind Judge.

Rowe back on the bench, but no Will Keane.
What formation was it Tang. Flat 442 or the diamond?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:33 pm

Good question, Derick. It was more of a buffed diamond with sharp edges.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:36 pm

It was a 3-5-2 with Skuse in with Chambo and Wilson.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:39 pm

Great result today - happy days! Next two games are MASSIVE

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:18 pm

I have to say the first half was poor in the extreme with no real quality from either side, chances at a premium and Town struggling to get going as we huffed and puffed our way through a awful first half. Quite a difference after the break as we stepped it up, increased the tempo and took the game to them, we got our passing game going and in the end ran out deserved winners.

I can't really remember a thing of note in the opening Twenty Five - Thirty minutes though such was the mediocrity of it all, Tranmere did get the ball in our net but the whistle had long gone for a hand ball. Town had played too many high aimless balls into their big defenders and Norwood was winning nothing, for me Downes, Wilson and Skuse had been the better of the Town players in the opening half hour but there was nothing to be seen of Nolan or Judge who were supposed to be creating things for Town, our wing backs were finding it hard to get forward too and I think it is fair to say that the visitors had been more than a match for us.

With Ten minutes of the half remaining Town did manage to get the lead and what a beauty of a goal it was and so out of character with the rest of a very poor game. Town were awarded a free kick and Luke Garbutt stepped up to place it sublimely in the top corner of the goal with the keeper beaten all ends up, it was just what we needed to hopefully open the game up which should play into our hands, unfortunately it had the advers effect as within minutes Tranmere restored parity with a very soft goal from a Town point of view. Quite why captain Chambers tried to bring the ball down out of the sky is anyone's guess but it set them up nicely and from the ball across the box they had a simple tap in to level things up, it felt weird conceding as it had been so long but again we were our own worst enemies. There was little else of note as the teams went in all square after what had been a turgid opening half, things could surely only get better, little did we know.....

The half had barely started and we found ourselves back in front again, another Garbutt freekick was spilled by the keeper and Jackson was quickest to it to force the ball home to give us the perfect start to the second half. Not long after Town thought they had a third as Flynn Downes pounced on another goalkeeping error only this time the linesman's flag came to Tranmere's rescue but Town were definitely looking more on it and already the tempo was much better, the passing crisper and chances were now coming.

Midway through the second half we did get the elusive and killer Third, Jackson broke through and saw his shot saved by the keeper but the ball looped up into the air nicely for Jon Nolan to head home. By now it was really all Town as Tranmere began to fade and the Fourth was not long coming and oh my what a goal it was, that man Kane Vincent-Young picked the ball up just inside the Tranmere half before a surging run forward which included step overs etc before cutting in across the edge of the box before smashing an unstoppable shot across the keeper and into the far corner of the net, wild celebrations ensued from Town players and fans alike and what a goal it was, if we see a better one at Portman Road this season we are in for a treat.

Tranmere by now had little to offer and Town came close to a Fifth as Norwood raced through but failed to convert another one on one as his attempt at chipping the keeper was blocked and cleared for a corner. Moments later Norwood saw his header tipped away by the bust Tranmere keeper who had had a bit of a dodgy afternoon but was now earning his corn. Tomasz Holy was called upon to make another save towards the end but it was pretty routine stuff and not long after the whistle went to confirm another Town win and cement our place at the top of the table.

Again it was a bit of a tale of Two halves, poor before the break with only Garbutt's bit of quality worth remembering and much improved in the second half where we stepped it up and took the game to them, creating and taking chances !! Throughout the game I thought Wilson, Garbutt, Downes & Skuse played well while after the break KVY, Nolan and Jackson in particular all came to the party to make it far better. At the end of the day we are still top and looking good, the unbeaten run goes on but we just fell short of keeping a Sixth clean sheet which would have been nice. Pleasing for me is that the whole team now looks to have goals in it which eases the burden on the strikers. The bandwagon rolls on to Fleetwood next week. COYB'S

Holy (6).....Not loads of saves to make but again did very little wrong with his kicking and handling, could maybe have done better for their goal ?

Wilson (7).....Impressed with him in the first half especially when Town were finding it hard to get going, got his head to lots of balls and positionally very good.

Chambers (6).....At fault for their goal when trying to do too much, aside from that looked ok in the back Three.

Skuse (7).....Strode through the game with calmness and composure as you would expect from him, looks at home in a back Three too.

KVY (7).....By his standards a quiet first half but an explosive second half capped off with a cracking solo goal, his surging runs are already making him a cult hero and he sure knows how to finish, has it all in his locker.

Garbutt.....(7)A cracking Free Kick lit up a drab opening half and his effort also teed up the second, defended solidly enough too.

Nolan.....(6)Didn't see much of him before the break, improved a lot in the second half, got his goal and made himself more of a presence.

Judge....(6) A bit better from Judge but still seems to be a little way off the player we know he can be, definitely worked his socks off today though.

Downes....(8) was MOTM for me, won numerous tackles especially in the first half when some went awol, tracking back and winning key ball when they were breaking, tried to get us on the front foot and generally kept getting stuck in, unlucky with the disallowed goal.

Norwood.....(5) Not his day today, said he would not celebrate which was just as well as he had little celebrate with his own efforts. Better days to come.

Jackson.....(7) Very impressive after the break, Johnny on the spot for his goal, his willingness to run lost causes caused them problems, put in one cracking cross from which judge failed to control it when in a great position, the best of the strikers today.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:32 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:33 pm
Good question, Derick. It was more of a buffed diamond with sharp edges.
Diamond going forward flat 4 defending. Beautiful.