Ipswich Town vs Tranmere Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A new record beckons?

Ipswich Win
87%
Tranmere Win
7%
Draw
7%

Total votes: 15

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tranmere Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:37 pm

Except we didnt play a diamond lol

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:14 pm

The first half was not great but we have to earn the right to play and I think we did that today. Yes Tranmere were neat and tidy but did not really create too much. The first goal was probably against the run of play. We got caught on the counter for the equaliser following a long punt forward.

We will see a lot of first half’s like today throughout the season. Teams will come and have a go, but as the game wears on the space opens up for us to play. The system changed last 10 mins of first half to a flat back four but can’t recall if that was prior to the goals or after.

What did change second half was Holy had more urgency with his distribution to the full backs that was pretty no existent first half, this led to his assist for the 4th goal.

If our next home game is called off it will mean 4 of our next 5 are away from home. So a tough period ahead to try and stay top.

But all in all I really enjoyed the game today and we move on to the next.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:41 pm

Still Looking good, only another 67 pts to go. 8)

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:50 pm

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:01 pm

What a fab gesture

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:46 pm

Had to read game report to get measure of what occurred out there today / if score was in any way misleading. Knew it was level at the interval, they scored just before it with an error from the goalkeeper but was kept away thereafter to maintain other pursuits. Surprised to learn we added another three without reply. Have been skeptical of Lambert over time but you can't fault the progress being made since August, even if it is the third league, something many would have wanted not to be involved with.

20,000 represents a good crowd, can imagine the scenes as the game went into the final third with an impenetrable advantage. Already at this stage there is good footing for a promotion place by end of season but once again taking nothing as given. This course still has a considerable distance to run.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:00 am

Caption 2 we never had toilet paper at Tranmere so I just used this , go on have a sniff the smell never really goes.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:21 am

CAPTION 2.... "Just call me Michael Berryman once more"

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:28 am

Ando wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:14 pm
The first half was not great but we have to earn the right to play and I think we did that today. Yes Tranmere were neat and tidy but did not really create too much. The first goal was probably against the run of play. We got caught on the counter for the equaliser following a long punt forward.

We will see a lot of first half’s like today throughout the season. Teams will come and have a go, but as the game wears on the space opens up for us to play. The system changed last 10 mins of first half to a flat back four but can’t recall if that was prior to the goals or after.

What did change second half was Holy had more urgency with his distribution to the full backs that was pretty no existent first half, this led to his assist for the 4th goal.

If our next home game is called off it will mean 4 of our next 5 are away from home. So a tough period ahead to try and stay top.

But all in all I really enjoyed the game today and we move on to the next.
Nice to see you on twitter mate

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:44 am

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1002486392?-1060:818 After Skuse stepped into midfield after 60 mins we scored 2 more goals. As confirmed if you listen to the commentary on this clip.💎

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:14 pm

Yep the 4-4-2 was more effective than the 3-5-2 yesterday

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:17 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:44 am
http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1002486392?-1060:818 After Skuse stepped into midfield after 60 mins we scored 2 more goals. As confirmed if you listen to the commentary on this clip.💎
It was first half for definite, not sure what the commentator was watching👀

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:38 pm

Im not sure what most people were watching, if indeed they were actually watching lol.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:07 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:38 pm
Im not sure what most people were watching, if indeed they were actually watching lol.
19,785 were yesterday?💎

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:41 pm

You know what Derick, some of them spend the whole bloody game walking about or chatting with their heads turned around LOL, so infuriating, by the way it's completely sold out Saturday now which is fab.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:50 pm

Jackson’s five goals have come from just 12 shots, seven on target, while Norwood’s quintet have come via 26 efforts, 18 on target.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:17 pm

After about 25 minutes of the first half,Skuse who had started as the centre of three centre backs( 3-5-2) had a word with Lambert during a break for an injury, and moved to his normal position sitting in front of the centre backs and we reverted to 4-4-2 and were immediately much more effective.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:30 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:50 pm
Jackson’s five goals have come from just 12 shots, seven on target, while Norwood’s quintet have come via 26 efforts, 18 on target.

I saw this stat and was going to post it but it could be interpreted in so many ways so I did not bother😂. For me they are both more effective when played together hence why PL has moved away (for now) from 4 3 3 or 4 5 1 For which he should be given credit for. It was the Colchester game where the partnership took off.

Unlike MM who constantly played players out of position.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:52 pm

RRanger wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:17 pm
After about 25 minutes of the first half,Skuse who had started as the centre of three centre backs( 3-5-2) had a word with Lambert during a break for an injury, and moved to his normal position sitting in front of the centre backs and we reverted to 4-4-2 and were immediately much more effective.
Not sure I agree. I thought we were ineffective for the whole of the first half. I don't imagine I'm the only one who felt at half time that we had been second best, and at that stage unlikely to win.

The biggest positive for me was the goals, all 4 over them but for different reasons.
The first was a superb strike but I think we might have been fortunate as the opponent was quite adamant the ball came off his chest or shoulder and if he was right then we shouldn't have had the free kick.
The second was certainly fortunate in that the free kick was poor but the keeper made an almighty balls up. But it was great to see us have someone following in to put away the loose ball.
Similarly with the third. Finally a well constructed goal created by a neat ball over the top (from Skuse I think), and although the shot was saved we again had someone following in to head it home.
The fourth goal was quick thinking by the keeper and a neat run and finish. So 2 well crafted goals.

The negatives: 1. In the first half we played so deep that we relied on long balls to isolated strikers.
2. Despite the result and the goal fest, I thought the format didn't work. Throughout the game (even the second half) our midfield was very narrow. Time and again the fullbacks would have the ball and try to move forward but there was never anyone ovrelapping.

A great result, and I certainly didn't expect us to be top at this stage. I keep reading on here and in the EADT that we aren't really getting out of second gear. I think that's a euphemism for we are winning but not really playing that well. Hopefully we can find a higher gear next week when it might be needed.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:14 pm

I agree with you Andy in that the first half was dire in its entirety!! I also think the change in format wasn't the sole reason for our second half improvement, I felt we played at a far greater tempo, didn't stand off them so much, played far less long hopeful balls and generally passed it much better too.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:12 am

Andym wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:52 pm
RRanger wrote:
Not sure I agree. I thought we were ineffective for the whole of the first half. I don't imagine I'm the only one who felt at half time that we had been second best, and at that stage unlikely to win.

The biggest positive for me was the goals, all 4 over them but for different reasons.
The first was a superb strike but I think we might have been fortunate as the opponent was quite adamant the ball came off his chest or shoulder and if he was right then we shouldn't have had the free kick.
The second was certainly fortunate in that the free kick was poor but the keeper made an almighty balls up. But it was great to see us have someone following in to put away the loose ball.
Similarly with the third. Finally a well constructed goal created by a neat ball over the top (from Skuse I think), and although the shot was saved we again had someone following in to head it home.
The fourth goal was quick thinking by the keeper and a neat run and finish. So 2 well crafted goals.

The negatives: 1. In the first half we played so deep that we relied on long balls to isolated strikers.
2. Despite the result and the goal fest, I thought the format didn't work. Throughout the game (even the second half) our midfield was very narrow. Time and again the fullbacks would have the ball and try to move forward but there was never anyone ovrelapping.

A great result, and I certainly didn't expect us to be top at this stage. I keep reading on here and in the EADT that we aren't really getting out of second gear. I think that's a euphemism for we are winning but not really playing that well. Hopefully we can find a higher gear next week when it might be needed.
I don’t think anyone is really kidding themselves that we are playing consistently, fluent, attractive football. In fact, for large parts it’s been frustrating to watch. But it’s been effective so far and you feel we have that bit extra quality to nick a goal. And teams haven’t been hurting us when they’re on top.

A bit of perspective... up to now after 10 games, the highest placed team we have beaten is Shrewsbury (in 12th). So next week we’ve got an opportunity to beat a high-placed side and see if we are that good.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:06 am

You could also argue that the reason we havn't beaten higher placed teams is cos they havn't played us yet and if they had, they would have 3 points less so may be lower in the league! Lies, damn lies and statistics... either way, if we could turn in a performance (for 2 halves - something we have struggled to do for for several seasons), and see off fleetwood away, this league really will be there for the taking for us. Not saying we will then go on and take it but what an opportunity we are giving ourselves with the start we have had. So far, so good.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:54 am

Just hope for perspective when we do finally lose, at least a few more posters will be about 😂😂

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:55 am

I agree with both the above 2 posts. Saturday will be very interesting.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:03 pm

Yup, I think everyone needs to temper their expectations a bit. Those up on a cloud at the moment should be aware that we've had some luck this year and are probably in a better place than we deserve. And when the loss does come, the naysayers should have a look at the table and lay off their keyboards!

Remarkable start to the season and that was crucial, what a squad we have when they stay fit!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:27 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:52 pm
RRanger wrote:

That's because its the fullbacks doing the overlapping!!

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:04 pm

I think sometimes have to understand if playing with wing backs then that's your width. Right now whether playing with fullbacks or wing backs they are both attacking minded. Would be totally amazed and wondering what's going on if any player overlapped our wing backs being honest

If you have wing backs like we played Saturday and also out and out wingers then you'll have players competing for same blades of grass.

It would take exceptional understanding for way our two backs are playing and out and out wingers to work. Its possible of course but its not like we don't have width. Even the front pairing go out wide, i thought Judge also went wide. Like Derick said the backs did the overlapping and for me both were excellent with obviously Kane being man of the match.

Another point like to say. Any team finishing top have lots of luck, just look at Norwich from last year, they had the rub of the green, so did Manchester City and even now Liverpool i would suggest been fortunate but also best in team in their division.Two types of luck, good and bad luck, usually teams at the top get the good and like us from last season, bottom get the bad

Yes its far to early to start thinking of winning the league or even going up but tell you what, yes we are in a division lower than last year but go back to this time last year and most were saying we were relegated already and turned out correct. Isn't it nice to talk about promotion and lets hope are right this season

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:56 pm

Have we had a lot of luck ?

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:09 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:56 pm
Have we had a lot of luck ?

Possibly, but would say we also made the luck.. Like with late goals but that's us keep going so.

Is it lucky or making our own luck Mike?

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:25 pm

The point is on Saturday the backs were often pinned back by defenders and there were large spaces in front of them in wide places. With no wide midfielders we were playing in a compressed space. We had more possession in the first half but hardly broke out over our half because the width wasn't utilised. We just kept passing along the back 4 before lumping it to isolated strikers. Overlapping was the wrong word to use, we just needed someone with the vision to see the space and move into it.