Fleetwood Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Trickiest fixture so far this season?

Fleetwood Win
18%
Ipswich Win
45%
Draw
36%

Total votes: 22

Frosty
Forum Owner

Fleetwood Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:57 am

Image Fleetwood Town v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 5th October 2019 – 15:00

Highbury

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

It's Raining Goals !!!!

One of the big talking points after recent games is how we fail to settle the nerves by grabbing a Second or Third goal, lately we have been grinding out 1-0 wins while defending resolutely when the pressure is applied by our opponents and thankfully it has worked but Saturdays visit of Tranmere Rovers was very different as Town finally hit the goal trail again by running out convincing winners come the full time whistle. Of course it wasn't all plain sailing as the first half was anything but convincing and to be fair to Tranmere they had as much if not slightly more of the play as Town failed to assert themselves on the game, the 3-5-2 seemed to be struggling and it wasn't until Paul Lambert switched it that things started to improve. The game will be remembered for Two cracking goals, the first a 25 yard free kick from Luke Garbutt which flew into the top corner to get us into the lead and the Fourth a fantastic solo effort form that man Kane Vincent-Young which is already a candidate for Town's goal of the season, in between opportunist strikes by Kayden Jackson & Jon Nolan made the scoreline far more emphatic that it looked at half time, in fact it could have been much better as Flynn Downes had one chalked off and James Norwood was twice denied by good saves from the visiting keeper.

One stand out thing for me is that the team has goals in it from all over the pitch, Norwood & Jackson have five apiece while Garbutt, Nolan, Vincent-Young and Downes have all chipped in with strikes and this is crucial to easing the burden of expectation that can often fall on your Two main strikers, if we can also get Alan Judge & Gwion Edwards chipping in the future will indeed be looking very rosy indeed. So with almost a Quarter of the season now gone we still find ourselves unbeaten and top of the pile and while it is still early days and complacency must not be allowed to creep in you can't help but feel a level of expectation has already been reached , yes defeat will come some time but we have got ourselves into a position where by it would not hurt us too much, of course the team will do all it can to avoid such a scenario but right now the situation is looking very healthy indeed.

Tricky October

With the game at home to Wycombe Wanderers almost certainly being called off the month of October could we ll be a tricky one with possibly only One home League game against Rotherham to come while we find ourselves on our travels to Fleetwood, Accrington & Southend Utd, of course our away form is superb and we should not fear anyone but idf we can come through this month still in top spot things will really start to look promising, for me Fleetwood could well pose us the biggest test of the season so far, trips to Accrington & Southend less so but we still need to take each opponent seriously, as we found out in the cup a while back Accrington was no gimme and Southend will see this as a bit of a cup final for them, all in all a haul of somewhere around Seven or Eight points will do very nicely, anything else will be a bonus.

Cod Army Here We Come

This weekend's trip to Fleetwood will be the first new ground of the season for me and I have to say I see it as our toughest test so far, currently sitting in Third place the Cod Army are looking to be one of the challengers for promotion to the Championship, their form at Highbury Stadium is pretty good and like ourselves they are currently unbeaten on their own patch having notched up Four wins and One draw, they also managed to defeat Liverpool U21's in the cup so we know we are in for a tough afternoon, in Ched Evans & Paddy Madden they have to very capable Strikers who are scoring goals, Madden already has Six to his name and Josh Morris has chipped in with Four, like ourselves Fleetwood have hit the net Twenty times but they do concede so if we can create the chances we are capable of causing the problems.

I did have this down as potentially our first defeat of the season, why I don't know as we should fear nobody but the law of averages and all that dictates we will lose eventually and away from home against a team currently Third and unbeaten at home suggests this is tough, as much as I believe we are the best team in the division I would snap your hands off for a draw to keep the unbeaten run going, for me that would be a great result, but of course a win would be the icing on the cake a real sign of intent, it could go either way and is really hard to call, all I do know is the Blue Army will again be there in numbers to do their best to cheer the boys home and bring home the points, who knows it could be another fab away day. Oh I do like to be beside the seaside.........

The Opposition – Fleetwood Town

The current club was officially established in 1997 but, in two previous incarnations, the club's history dates back to 1908. The original club, Fleetwood F.C., were champions of the Lancashire Combination in 1923–24, and registered a hat-trick of Lancashire Combination Cup wins in 1932, 1933 and 1934. The side's goalkeeper in the first of those victories was Frank Swift, then only eighteen years old. After almost sixty years as a Lancashire Combination club, they were made founder members of the Northern Premier League in 1968. The club finished in 10th place in its first season. As the NPL was one of several leagues immediately below Division Four of the Football League, this was effectively the fifth tier of English football, and the club would not surpass this success until 2010–11. Despite winning the Northern Premier League Cup in 1971, the club languished in the lower half of the table, finishing bottom for two successive seasons (1974–75 and 1975–76) and folded in 1976 because of financial difficulties. Its great players include the late Percy Ronson, after whom one stand is named.

The club was re-established in 1977 as Fleetwood Town F.C., with many of the original personnel. Initially placed in Division One of the Cheshire League, it was moved in 1982 to the North West Counties League Division Two in its inaugural year, and promoted to Division One in 1984. The team reached the final of the FA Vase in 1985, losing 3–1 to Halesowen Town in front of a 16,000 crowd at Wembley. The club was placed in Division One (second tier) of the Northern Premier League when the league established a second tier in 1987, becoming the inaugural Division One Champions in 1988. In 1990–91 the club finished fourth in the NPL Premier Division, at the time effectively the sixth tier. However, by 1996, this second club had also folded.

Re-formed in 1997 as Fleetwood Wanderers, the club was placed back in Division One of the North West Counties Football League (now the tenth tier of the English League system) and a sponsorship deal saw the club's name immediately changed to Fleetwood Freeport F.C.. The club was promoted to the Premier Division of the North West Counties League in 1999 and renamed Fleetwood Town F.C. in 2002. Tony Greenwood was appointed manager in 2003; soon afterward, Andy Pilley took over as chairman. Successive promotions, as North West Counties League champions in 2005 and Northern Premier League First Division runners-up in 2006, saw the club reach the Northern Premier League Premier Division.

Fleetwood Town won the Northern Premier League Challenge Cup in the 2006–07 season, beating Matlock Town 1–0, and finished the season in eighth place with 67 points.

In the 2007–08 season Fleetwood won the Northern Premier League, gaining promotion to the Conference North. Along the way they set a new attendance record for the division, and were easily the best-supported team in the Premier Division.

Fleetwood started the 2008–09 Conference North season poorly; with the club at the bottom of the league, manager Tony Greenwood, along with his assistant, Nigel Greenwood and coach Andy Whittaker, were sacked. Greenwood was replaced by Micky Mellon. His position at Fleetwood was made full-time in January 2009, a first for the club.

The demise of Farsley Celtic partway through the 2009–10 was detrimental to Fleetwood's campaign, as Farsley's entire 2009–10 playing record was expunged. Fleetwood were chasing promotion along with near neighbours Southport, and the ruling cost Fleetwood three points relative to Southport. Fleetwood appealed against the decision but the appeal was rejected the day before the last match of the season, leaving Southport one point ahead. Both teams won on the final day, giving Southport the championship. Fleetwood instead had to contest the play-offs, and after beating Droylsden on penalties in the semi-final Fleetwood won promotion to the Football Conference by beating Alfreton Town 2–1 in the final.

For the 2010–11 season the club made all of its players full-time professionals, though this resulted in a few players leaving the club, including club captain Jamie Milligan. The club spent most of the season in or near the play-off positions, eventually qualifying by finishing in fifth place. In the play-off semi-finals, against Wimbledon, a new attendance record of 4,112 was set in the home leg, but Fleetwood lost both games with an 8–1 aggregate scoreline.

Fleetwood's 2011–12 season was very successful, Fleetwood went on a 29-game unbeaten run, and were declared champions with two games remaining, giving them promotion to the Football League for the first time. At the end of the season Vardy moved to Leicester City for a fee of £1m, which subsequently rose to £1.7m—a record transfer fee for a non-league club.

Fleetwood had a good start to the 2012–13 season, and had risen to third in the league after 10 games. However, they only won two of the next 10 games, slipping to sixth position; chairman Andy Pilley and manager Micky Mellon fell out, after Mellon allegedly applied for the Burnley and Blackpool managerial vacancies. On 1 December 2012, following a 3–2 defeat against Aldershot in the FA Cup, Mellon was sacked as manager of the League Two side. Graham Alexander was appointed manager on 6 December 2012. Fleetwood were unbeaten for the next five games, and after a steady run of results had risen back to fourth place after 11 games. However, Fleetwood only won two of the remaining 15 games, and consequently slipped down the table to finish 13th in League Two; this resulted in a large rebuilding of the squad.

The 2013–14 season was another successful one. Having been in and around the automatic promotion places all season and getting to the League Trophy area final, the club narrowly missed out on automatic promotion, finishing in fourth place. After beating York City in the play-off semi-final, Fleetwood beat Burton Albion 1–0 from an Antoni Sarcevic free-kick in the play-off final at Wembley on 26 May to win promotion to League One for the first time.

Playing at the club's highest level, the 2014–15 season was very successful. After three games the team was top of the league for two games, and apart from a couple of games remained in the top half of the league all season, eventually finishing in a very creditable 10th place. Also in 2014, the club purchased a 57-bedroom hotel in Blackpool for the youth team; the following year, the club started to move into its new training ground in Thornton.

2015–16 was a difficult season. In July 2015, chairman Andy Pilley announced that the club's strategic direction would move more towards a self-sustaining model utilizing the development and sell-on of home-grown talent, rather than buying in players to attempt to climb the league pyramid further. The playing budget was trimmed heavily.

After a poor start to the season with only two wins in 10 league matches, Graham Alexander was sacked on 30 September 2015, with the club one point above the relegation zone. On 6 October 2015 Steven Pressley was appointed manager. After a season flirting with the relegation zone, Pressley guided the club to safety, five points above the relegation zone, with 10 wins in 35 league matches and an appearance in the league trophy northern area final. On 20 April 2016, Sir Alex Ferguson officially opened the club's £8m Poolfoot farm training ground complex with 18 pitches including a floodlit 4G artificial pitch, gym, cafe, bar, offices, etc.

Just before the start of the 2016–17 season, on 26 July 2016, Steven Pressley resigned from his position as manager. Uwe Rösler was appointed manager on 30 July 2016 who guided the club to its highest ever finish in 4th place but was narrowly beaten 1–0 by Bradford City in the play off semi-final.

However in the 2017–18 season Uwe Rosler was sacked on 17 February 2018 after seven straight defeats in all competitions with the club just outside the relegation zone by goal difference. On 22 February 2018 John Sheridan was appointed manager on a short term contract until the end of the season who successfully guided the club away from relegation and finished mid table in 14th place.

At the beginning of 2018–19 season Joey Barton was appointed manager on 2 June 2018 who guided the club to a 11th place with victories over local rivals Blackpool and giants Sunderland.

The Manager – Joey Barton

Form Guide

Fleetwood Town Last 5 Matches – Currently in 3rd place with 20 points

31 Aug Lincoln 2 - 0 Fleetwood

7 Sep Fleetwood 2 - 1 Oxford Utd

14 Sep Southend Utd 3 - 3 Fleetwood

21 Sep Fleetwood 2 - 1 Rochdale

28 Sep Shrewsbury 0 - 3 Fleetwood

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 1st place with 24 points

31 Aug Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Shrewsbury

14 Sep Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Doncaster

17 Sep Milton Keynes 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

21 Sep Gillingham 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

28 Sep Ipswich Town 4 - 1 Tranmere

Marko’s Caption Contest – THE DON CUP

TRANMERE SCORES

Blue Wilf (Caption 2) 5pts
Blue Wilf (Caption 1) 4pts
Bluemike (Caption 1) 3pts
AylesburyBlue (Caption 2), Bluemike (Caption 2) & Quasar 2pts

LEAGUE TABLE

Bluemike 30
AylesburyBlue 29
Blue Wilf 22
DerickIpsw 21
Number 9 18
Tangfastic 16
Ando 15
Shed on Tour 14
Kerry Blue 11
Johnny B 11
Frosty 10
Quasar 10
Blueblood 9
Barmy Billy 7
Todd66 6
Watership Down 5
Nicscreamer 4
Charnwood 3
IpswichTownNO1 2
AshfordBlue 1
Lucy 1
MasseyFerguson 1

Fleetwood caption picture

Match Referee – Carl Boyeson

FLEETWOOD TOWN 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

derick_ipsw

Re: Fleetwood Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:21 am

Caption 1. This was the first time they had tried the Karma Sutra instead of 4-4-2.

Caption 2: No penalty, VAR said this was a fair tackle.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:45 am

If we can turn in a 2 half performance then 1-2 Town. Safe travels all you TB's and girls going there. I am very jealous so have fun!

Caption 1 - Joey Bartons new training regime includes tackles he describes as 'just like i used to do on the streets of liverpool'
Caption 2 - fleetwood deny new midfielders MMA past

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:53 pm

Caption Comp 1 : Fleetwood players told to re-enact Joey Batons favourite film scene from Deliverance." Let me hear you Squeal boy"
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=de ... &FORM=VIRE

Caption Comp 2: I will show you the Brexit Backstop mate.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:59 am

Caption: Just heard I have got a part in the new Head and Shoulders advert so thought I better get some practice in.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:23 am

Jim's Bar at the ground lets away fans in for those who like a pint or 10. :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:04 am

Ten pints?

Got a cousin who slept on my shoulder throughout the Hibs v Ross County league Cup final few years ago. Every time the crowd rose slightly or shouted at the ref, Steven would raise his head off my shoulder;
“Aye, Nightmare, ref. Fkn useless”..... then fall asleep again. He didn’t see any of the game.
Thankfully in the end I suppose.

Nice preview and I just have to predict an Ipswich Town win. I know the club are in the 3rd tier and it’s been accepted, but just cannot bring myself to predict a Fleetwood Town win. A draw is even pushing it.

FLEETWOOD???? 🤦‍♂️

Fleetwood 1 Ipswich 3 👍

Barton / Ref caption:

Barton: “I believe I can fly......”
Ref: “Nice R Kelly chanting, Joey you little weirdo.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:52 am

Jim's bar it is then

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:12 pm

Caption

“The Fleetwood Piggy Back racing team was leading until some idiot threw a football onto the field”

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:58 pm

Caption one Hey ref he's all over me like a wet fish.

Caption 2 Ref What a load of Codswallop

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:34 pm

Caption 1: AylesburyBlue manages to track down mindless idiots who have scored BlueMike higher in recent weeks.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:58 pm

Caption 1: “I got the ball first, Ref!!”

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:30 pm

Caption 2: “Zakari body spray for men. It’s irresistible!”

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:36 pm

Our set-up, line-up and prediction is anyone's guess. Too difficult to predict.

From what I have seen so far the quality of this horrible league we have to be in is very low at times. I expect though a little bit better one from Fleetwood as they have a few good, seasoned players in their team.

Even though it's my kinda local game it's an awkward trip as there is no train station at Fleetwood. Therefore a tram from Blackpool will be a solution, the first ever meeting between us at Fleetwood and the minimum target for me is not to squander 4 points gap between us and 3rd place.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:40 am

Where the hell is Fleetwood anyhow. Wouldn't travel to the game as no idea where the destination is. Few years back you couldn't entertain a Town side playing these in a domestic league fixture but reality is you got to get on with it.

Voted for a point apiece. Seems they're doing well for themselves and won't be no pushovers with it. Unbeaten 'streak' to continue, even if the team were to lose believe we'd still remain top irrespective of how others scores fall. I'd like to see some attacking intent on the day and to perform over 90 minutes, not just one period at a time as is often our style.

Fleetwood 2 Ipswich 2

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:27 am

Fleetwood is right behind Mac, Saint

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:31 am

The start of a run of 4 away games out of 5 In the league for October. This will be a tough test, but the lads are confident and have their tails up. Let’s hope for another 1-0 to the tractor boys. Although I think it will be a draw.

Caption 1 “get off, it’s only a spider”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:24 am

CAPTION 1.... " These siamese twins never let their disability hold them back despite playing for opposite teams"

CAPTION 2.... " I've become so obsessed with James Norwood's book of wrestling manoeuvres I often forget myself"

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:47 am

Finding it hard to call this one. We’re due to a bad result and, on paper (league position) , Fleetwood should be a tough one. They haven’t lost at home since February, I think. Flip side to that... they’re due a home defeat. Probably smart money is on a draw. I’ll take a draw, but if we win then it just confirms more and more we’re the real deal in this league. So we really should be up for this game to put some more points between us and our rivals.

Head says a draw (and possibly the first loss), but I’ll go for a scrappy 1-0 win.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:57 am

Delighted the votes in the poll so far are for the Ipswich Town win vs “Who? Fleetwood? From the Evostik league? That Fleetwood?”

Ref caption: Applauds the preview poll.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:01 am

Caption 2.... Here we can see the tackle known as ‘The December 21st’, must get that 5th yellow....

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:00 am

Caption:

f*ck the match .... two footballers fighting to get to a Southend ticket blowing across the pitch.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:50 pm

Sadly I think we’re going to lose this time. Be delighted to proved wrong though! And if we don’t that’s a major statement of intent.

Caption: when the boss said to get in behind their defenders and look to penetrate their box, this isn’t what he had in mind

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:38 am

Been up a bloody hour already !!! Must be mad !!!
COME ON TOWN...... IPSWICH TIL I DIE !!!!!

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:15 am

Let's hope for a victory. Bring dragged to the Midlands today so can't even listen.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:07 am

Caption 2

Serial dry-humper cant retain himself when he’s told to play at the back

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:27 pm

If we get any injuries I hope they are in midfield.....6 midfielders on the bench. 😂

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:58 pm

Terrible half of football, little quality from either side but we werr second best, nothing of real note on target from both sides, Garbutt one good effort just wide of the far post, we need to improve or the unbeaten run could end, that said they are nothing special and would be there for the taking if we step it up. Ref is an absolute joke, virtually every decision gone their way.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:06 pm

It has been sh*t. Garbutt looks the best bet for a goal or assist. Norwood needs to watch himself... on a yellow and looking frustrated.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:14 pm

How many yellows is Norwood on now?