Fleetwood Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Trickiest fixture so far this season?

Fleetwood Win
18%
Ipswich Win
45%
Draw
36%

Total votes: 22

nicscreamer

Re: Fleetwood Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:20 pm

Booom 1-0 Jackson

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:21 pm

Get in Kayden f**kin Jackson!

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:52 pm

And now he misses a penalty.

:shock:

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:55 pm

Wilson off - come on end it ref

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:58 pm

We held on...

Well done lads

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:59 pm

Get in boys :mrgreen:

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:03 pm

Delighted to be wrong in my prediction as Town grind out another win. 4 points clear with a game in hand is a great position however you look at it and today’s result shows we have nothing to fear in this division.

Sounds like an ill-tempered affair though - looking forward to reading the reports

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:08 pm

Well we are not going to be anybodies push over..

Wonder if the Ref like Yellow cards or was it that bad tempered ?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:09 pm

I’d give penalty taking duties to Garbutt from now on.He can hit the ball better than anyone.

Phew.... far better display in the second half, but very nervy at the end. Wilson took one for the team, but Fleetwood were lucky to have eleven players at the end. Ref bottled it.

Another win, though,.... tractors keep on rolling.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:17 pm

Spot on Tang, they are a nasty ill tempered side who created nothing, we should have had 2 or 3 second half and how the hell their guy didn't get a red for grabbing Edwards by the throat god only knows. Deserved Three points, this whole place is nasty, fans trying to incite a fight before and after the game, sh*t ground, dirty physical team and a cnut of a manager !!! Get me home!!!! THE TOWN ARE GOING UP !!!!

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:21 pm

Be Safe Mike

don't get involved with their crap then

Three Points, that's the important thing, other than getting home safely

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:28 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:03 pm
Delighted to be wrong in my prediction as Town grind out another win. 4 points clear with a game in hand is a great position however you look at it and today’s result shows we have nothing to fear in this division.

Sounds like an ill-tempered affair though - looking forward to reading the reports
..... and seven points to third place. Many of the top sides dropped points today. Let’s hope next week they keep on doing it.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:40 pm

Now I believe!! Today was a massive result- against another team on a good run. A team that were always going to be physical a la Barton. After the Gills game players get a rest- may be important in the long run. If ITFC ever put together a performance for the whole match there is no-one in this league can beat them. I have no doubt that we will win this league. Our overall performance consisteny must improve for the return to the Championship.

COYB :D :D

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:45 pm

Great result. Only got the stats yo go on.....Fleetwood didn't manage a shot on target all match.
Starting to believe.... just would like a convincing 90 minute performance.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:17 pm
Spot on Tang, they are a nasty ill tempered side who created nothing, we should have had 2 or 3 second half and how the hell their guy didn't get a red for grabbing Edwards by the throat god only knows. Deserved Three points, this whole place is nasty, fans trying to incite a fight before and after the game, sh*t ground, dirty physical team and a cnut of a manager !!! Get me home!!!! THE TOWN ARE GOING UP !!!!
The ref was unbelievable. Can you explain when we had possession and he stopped play he then somehow managed to the give the ball to them when the game restarted? Been once hopefully won’t ever have to return.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:05 pm

Great result made things difficult for ourselves missing the penalty. Me and the Blue Spook were very pleased to see Bluemike and Mach the pole which is always a pleasure. Thanks again guys for your company. 😊

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:13 pm

Delighted to be wrong with my predicted result, and three points on the road is never to be sniffed at. I had an idea Fleetwood would reflect their manager in playing style, and so it proved. A clean sheet and another win so like most have said, we look like a good odds-on bet to go up again at the first attempt.
This whoever is going to be a tough season and it won't always be pretty but right now it's affective.

Would also like to go on record to say I was wrong about Lambert also, after the debacle in the championship, I thought he wasn't the best person to bring us back to the championship, but it's looking like I was wrong...... Gladly. 😀 ⚽ Bluearmy

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:09 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mike I suspect the ref was intimidated by the thug of a manger Fleetwood have.

Well Barton, you gobshyte , what was the score? Beaten by the “poorest team in Towns history”, eh! Up yours you SOAB ....here’s ITFC looking down on you.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:25 pm

patthegimp wrote:
    Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:40 pm
    Now I believe!! Today was a massive result- against another team on a good run. A team that were always going to be physical a la Barton. After the Gills game players get a rest- may be important in the long run. If ITFC ever put together a performance for the whole match there is no-one in this league can beat them. I have no doubt that we will win this league. Our overall performance consisteny must improve for the return to the Championship.

COYB :D :D
    Three points to the football team/ club 👍

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:47 pm

hallamblue wrote:
    Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:09 pm
    Bluemike wrote:
    Mike I suspect the ref was intimidated by the thug of a manger Fleetwood have.

Well Barton, you gobshyte , what was the score? Beaten by the “poorest team in Towns history”, eh! Up yours you SOAB ....here’s ITFC looking down on you.
    So elegantly put Liz and 100% correct, Only 64 points more points,

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:55 am

Only got score after game time, gunner freak with a wealth of information although does keep eye on this teams fortunes. It's been a good day results wise. West Ham and Norwich both saw losses, the latter with considerable effect and with a Town win, you would have chewed the proverbial hand off if offered before start of play.

We remain in #1 position with a game in hand and other scores in the top reaches of the league were favorable. Can the team go unbeaten the course of the whole season ? Doubtful but this is a very good platform with which to start from. Seems to be interrupted again by another damn international break coming up but you can't dispute the start made and the promise ahead. Need to make it back to the second level at first attempt, we got a good opportunity but once again in no way getting complacent. Realize the time and task ahead and remain focused, it's all anyone could ask.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:25 am

Andym wrote:
    Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:14 pm
    How many yellows is Norwood on now?
    I think he has had 3 yellows so far. Maybe 4. From what I gather, if you get to 5 cards before the 19th league fixture then it’s a one match ban. I think it’s competition specific - so EFL trophy, FA Cup or Carabou Cup shouldn’t count as accumulated fixtures. Not sure if the cancelled games count ie the cut-off point is a date where 19 fixtures are scheduled to be played irrespective of whether they’re played or not.
    Norwood picked up a stupid yellow, whereas the other players took one for the team. Nolan’s was the most cynical ... just scythed a player down on half way when they were about to break late on in the game. Fair enough... fight fire with fire and get the job done.

TBH - I’m glad we’ve cancelled the Wycombe game now as Downes has been called up and Norwood has to have a minor surgery.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:50 am

Apparently Norwood has a nerve issue in his groin and the surgery was scheduled for this international break a few weeks back.

Bluemike
    Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Earlier in the week somebody on this forum made the point that we hadn't beaten anyone in the top half of the table or something, well we have now, Fleetwood Town may only be "little old Fleetwood" but they are flying high, playing well, unbeaten at home for months and generally regarded as one of our main rivals for a top Six berth so to come away from there with Three deserved points while keeping our unbeaten run going and another clean sheet into the bargain has to be regarded as a good days work.

The game really panned out like many others have this season, Town under performing for Forty Five minutes before getting their act together to boss the second half and go on to get the win the performance merited. Town again began the game with the 3-5-2 formation with Woolfenden joining Chambo & Wilson in the back Three and again there was no place in the starting Eleven for Alan Judge. the first half was to prove to be anything but enjoyable for Town's 1100 hardy fans as we failed to get into our stride at all, Paul Lambert felt after the game we were excellent throughout, I disagree, I felt the home side edged the first half with a better passing game and looked to attack more than we did, they were hungrier in the tackle and seemed to be winning a lot of fifty fifty balls, they also liked to play a fair few high searching balls into our box which we dealt with pretty well.

For some reason Town too kept playing high hopeful balls down the throats of Two massive CB's who had little trouble in dealing them, I don't think I have ever seen a bigger monster than Souttar who despite being totally unable to play football is just impossible to beat in the air so the tactic was pointless. Fleetwood had fashioned a couple of half chances but failed to find the target, that was to continue for the entire Ninety minutes while Town had to wait until midway through the half to not only create their first chance but it was pretty much the first pass we had executed as Woolfenden played a delightful cross field ball into the path of Luke Garbutt who had got forward well, his control was superb as he brought it under control before hitting a lovely effort just wide of the far post, it was the first bit of quality in a rather disappointing and niggly affair.

The only other real chance of note in the opening half fell to Norwood who was unable to keep his header down when in a good position and the ball cleared the bar but it was a relief to go into the break with the score all square as we just hadn't performed, our passing was poor, movement not great and the general performance below what was required for us to win this game, Downes, Skuse & Nolan had done ok in the centre but more was needed, the Wing backs weren't able to get forward much apart from Garbutt's effort and the service to Jackson and Norwood had been scarce, I just felt as I sad at HT yesterday that they were there for the taking if we could only step it up a notch or Two.

The second half was going to turn out to be completely different to the first as Town looked to take the game to the home side right from the restart, Norwood was played through by Jackson but the number Ten was to fluff his lines as yet again he failed in a one on one to hit the target almost immediately after the restart, it should have been put away but his confidence isn't at it's best right now. Jackson was next to have sight of goal as he burst through but decided unselfishly to try to play in Jon Nolan who was bursting into the box when trying his luck may have been a better option but the chance went begging. It was third time lucky for Town as our bright start to the second half finally paid dividends, Luke Garbutt striking a long range free kick down low which the keeper could only spill back into play and there was Kayden Jackson on hand to fire home his Sixth of the season in front of the jubilant Town fans behind the goal to give Town a lead that their second half play had deserved.

The game had become more and more ugly the longer it went on with fouls, Yellows, Ref howlers inciting the players often spoiling the flow of the game which had improved greatly after the break. Quite how Town were not awarded a penalty I don't know as in real time Jon Nolan looked to be brought crashing down in the area but the p*ss poor ref was having none of it, his performance throughout had been nothing short of disgraceful, even decisions he gave our way were all too often wrong but he was without doubt giving them far more than us. Fleetwood had been anonymous as an attacking force but did have a half chance which they should have down better with but again they sent it wide of Holy's goal who had still not had a save to make. What followed was a bizzare "non decision" by the ref again, yes Edwards inflicted a crude foul on one of their players who then decided to grab him around the throat before attempting to wrestle him to the ground, the ref deciding a yellow card was sufficient when it should have been red all day long.

Shortly after Jackson who had been superb with his runs and movement since the restart was sent crashing down for what looked as blatant a penalty as you will see but incredibly the ref gave nothing and awarded a goal kick, it was a penalty all day long !!! We almost paid dearly as moments later Ched Evans missed their best chance of the entire match as he just failed to reach the ball at the far post following a good header across the box with Holy stranded, it was a real let off and a warning for the Town defence. With time ebbing away Town looked comfortable and indeed should have settled any nerves as we were finally given a penalty which for me was less of a shout that the Two that weren't given, Jackson insisting on having the ball ahead of Garbutt but incredibly he put it wide of the post. There was still time for Wilson to see red as he took one for the team with Fleetwood looking to get into the box and it was left to Tomasz Holy to pluck a couple of lofty balls out of the air to keep the home side at bay, this he did all afternoon with aplomb.

So it's win number Five on the road and we now have a Four Point gap at the top and a seven point gap from Third place, whatever happens next weekend we will still be Four points clear with a game in hand and that is a dream position to be in, a Quarter of the season gone and still unbeaten, Eight Wins & Three draws and only Five goals conceded and all this without playing anything like our best so far, add to that no Lankester, Bishop, Nsiala, Sears or Nydam and Huws only being used sparingly, we really are in a good place, it was 100% the right decision to call off the Wycombe game, we come back fresh when everyone else will have played again.

Holy (7)......Not a save of note to make but his handling is superb most of the time and he seems to fill the back line with confidence, becoming a bit of a cult hero with the fans.

Wilson (7).....Defended so well at set pieces which many won't have seen, stood up the physical brute that is Harry Souttar, had to take the Red.

Chambers (7)....A couple of superb blocks in the first half when they were on top but looking so much more assured this season albeit at a lower level.

Woolfenden (7)....Came back to put in another assured display, the best of the Three CB's at playing the ball out, cracking cross field pass for Garbutt's first half effort.

Vincent-Young (6)....Looked fine throughout the first 45 so a bit of a mystery as to why he was subbed off, almost repeated his mazy run and shot from a week previous.

Garbutt (7).....Another super free kick led to Jackson firing home the winner, so nearly scored in the first half too, defended well when called upon.

Skuse (7).....Took a fair bit of treatment off the physical Fleetwood Midfield but won more than his fair share, solid as ever.

Nolan (8)..... Excellent second half and is definitely the mam now getting into the box to aid the strikers, a better pass from Jackson would have seen him score and should have won a penalty too.

Downes (7)..... Gritty display with plenty of tackles won the longer the game when on, never hides and looks to get us on the front foot, so dependable.

Norwood (5)..... Not a crisis but needs a goal, scuffed another easy chance wide, the rest will do him good not to mention the minor Op.

Jackson (8)..... Very quiet first half but such a handful second, changed the game with his runs and playing on the shoulder of the defence, relentless running, scored the winner and should have won a penalty, shame about the miss from the spot but for me he changed the game after HT, MOTM.

Prior to this game some were still sceptical about the Town, some felt we had beaten nobody of note, we have now, some still said it is early days, yes it is but it's a Quarter of the season gone and we have a gap at the top forming, we are unbeaten, we have only conceded Five goals, we score from all over the team and we ooze belief and confidence, there is so much more to come too. The doubters need to realise we aren't fluking this, we are where we are on merit. Let's enjoy the break and come back ready for Accrington Stanley... Who are they ??? Exactly !!!!! COYB'S

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:39 pm

Thanks as always Mike for your report & analysis. What would we do without them.

Long may you continue.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:32 pm

Great report, Mike. Keep em coming.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:00 pm

Ando wrote:
    Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:50 am
    Apparently Norwood has a nerve issue in his groin and the surgery was scheduled for this international break a few weeks back.
    Your right there he has got some nerve 8 grand a week and he cant finish a 1 on 1. :lol:

Bluemike
    Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:14 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
    Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:00 pm
    Ando wrote:
    Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:50 am
    Your right there he has got some nerve 8 grand a week and he cant finish a 1 on 1. :lol:
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:15 pm

Few late brief thoughts as I have had a busy weekend. A lot have been said so I don't think I can add much.

The reality really hit hard yesterday. What horrible places we have to visit. Gillingham, Fleetwood etc etc. Yes we are in this league for merit but it is so depressing. Fleetwood what a dreary dump this place is. The place, the football ground, everything. I had said prior to this season that we'd be a midtable team and not a threat for top 6. So seeing where we are I can say that it has so far exceeded my expectations but now I'm extremely desperate to get out of this league. I don't want our club to visit places like this beyond this season. The forthcoming away days at Accrington, Southend and Rochdale will be another part of this depressing spell in our history. I hate this league, hate every minute in it, perhaps it sounds as a self-entitlement but it isn't a league for us however it is clear to see Lambert has made our club much a healthier place.

When you visit a place like Fleetwood you want two things. 3 points and get out of the place after the final whistle as soon as possible. Fleetwood will certainly have been a better opposition than some we had faced beforehand but the pleasing thing is that our defence played impeccably and Holy didn't have much to do. There was a one really scary moment though as 10 minutes from the end of the game Ched Evans was an inch or two from tapping the ball in as he faced an open goal at the far post.
    Fleetwood played a passing game particularly in the first game trying to outstretch our defence and we struggled to retain the ball at times. Second half was a different story as we ought to have scored 2 or 3 goals. Missed penalty by Jackson, a glorious opportunity missed by Norwood at the beginning of the 2nd half. Once again it has proved how awful is the standard of refereeing in this league as the ref was calamitous. We should have had 2 more penalties in the second half and we could have been down to 10 men as Edwards should have probably gone.

Nolan and Chambers our best players in my opinion closely followed by Wilson. We have beaten a difficult, dirty opponent and 3 points is what matters following this match.

Some teams will have played 2 more games before we kick off at Accrington in 2 weeks time but we'll still remain a top.