Ipswich Town vs Gillingham FC EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

2nd Win in this competition?

Ipswich Win
86%
Gillingham Win
14%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 7

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Gillingham FC EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:27 pm

Image Ipswich Town vs Gillingham FC Image

Tuesday 8th October 2109 – 19:45

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

In Command.......

Isn't it a wonderful feeling to be going into a Two week break knowing that whatever happens next weekend Town will come out of it top of the pile and still Four points clear of the chasing pack ? But that is exactly the situation we find ourselves in following our excellent result at Fleetwood on Saturday, I think we laid down a marker for the rest of the League to take notice of and it is going to take a very good team to beat us at this moment in time, with Wycombe also not in action next weekend we are guaranteed a nice little gap between us and the rest and I think with injuries to James Norwood & Kane Vincent-Young along with call ups for Flynn Downes & Alan Judge it was a masterstroke by Paul Lambert to call the game with Wycombe off and give everyone another well earned rest, it has worked out extremely well for us on this occasion.

What would be nice would be if we can actually turn in a good performance following a International break as it never seems to happen and while Accrington are finding things tough at this moment in time we cannot afford to be complacent and sloppy at their place Sunday week, as we found out to our cost last season in the cup and lets not forget the very small matter of the dreaded Sky cameras being in attendance, we all know how rubbish we tend to be when they show up so we need to be right at it when the game comes around.

I would like to thank Joey Barton for opening his big mouth and giving the boys some added incentive to go and get the win, quite what he thought it was going to achieve is anyone's business and clearly it backfired, it comes hot on the heels of big mouth (and body) Steve Evans' bizarre outburst a couple of weeks back when we won at Gillingham, I suppose these teams are going to try anything to unsettle us and as we all know we are pretty much everyone's cup final this season so I don't expect this will be the last time someone tries these forlorn tactics.

Cup Action Next.....

Tuesday evening sees us play our Second group game in the EFL Trophy with Gillingham the visitors (and gobshite Evans again), following our win against Spurs U21s in our opening game a win here would see us progress to the second round of the competition where I believe it is still regionalised with Group winners playing Group runners up, from what I gather it is regional until the Quarter final stage but going on our past cup history we won't have to worry too much about that !!!

No doubt Paul Lambert will shuffle the pack big time and you can expect to see the likes of Kenlock, Norris, Dobra, Georgiou, Huws etc etc all getting some game time as others take a rest, I feel it is the right approach as these players need to be kept match fit and part of it all should the time come they are needed, it would be good to see Toto Nsiala getting a run out too as he closes in on a return to action.

Gillingham are quite fresh in the mind having played them recently so we will know they are no pushovers and with a weakened Town team this could well go either way but I will stick with Town to edge it and actually make the second Round of a cup competition for the first time in like One Hundred years !!!!! I am really looking forward to seeing young Dobra in action again, he stole the show last time and hopefully he can shine again. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Gillingham

The local success of a junior football side, Chatham Excelsior F.C., encouraged a group of businessmen to meet with a view to creating a football club which could compete in larger competitions. New Brompton F.C. was formed at the meeting, held on 18 May 1893.

The founders also purchased the plot of land which later became Priestfield Stadium. The new club played its first match on 2 September 1893, losing 1–5 to Woolwich Arsenal's reserve side in front of a crowd of 2,000. New Brompton were among the founder members of the Southern League upon its creation in 1894, and were placed in Division Two. They were named Champions in the first season (1894–95) going on to defeat Swindon Town in a test match to win promotion.

In the seasons that followed, the club struggled in Division One, finishing bottom in the 1907–08 season, avoiding relegation only due to expansion of the league. Whilst the club's league performance was disappointing, the side did manage a famous cup victory over Football League First Division Sunderland and held Manchester City to a draw before losing in the replay. In 1912 the directors passed a resolution to change the club's name to Gillingham F.C., and the team played under this name throughout the 1912–13 season, although the change was not officially ratified by the shareholders until the following year. The team finished bottom of Division One in the 1919–20 season but for a third time avoided relegation, due to the subsequent elevation of all Southern League Division One clubs to form the new Football League Division Three.

In the first season of the newly created Football League Division Three, the 1920–21 season, Gillingham again finished bottom, and in the years to follow there was little improvement on this, the club continually finishing in the lower reaches of the bottom division.

In 1938 the team finished bottom of the Third Division (South) and were required to apply for re-election for the fifth time since joining the league. This bid for re-election failed, with Gillingham returning to the Southern League and Ipswich Town being promoted in their place.

Gillingham quickly established themselves as one of the stronger sides in the league, winning a local double of the Kent League and Kent Senior Cup in the 1945–46 season. In the 1946–47 season the team won both the Southern League Cup and the Southern League championship, during which they recorded a club record 12–1 victory over Gloucester City. The Gills also won the league title in 1948–49.
In 1950, plans were announced to expand the Football League Division Three (South) from 22 to 24 teams and, taking into account their local success in the interim, Gillingham were re-elected to the Football League with a landslide vote.

The team spent eight seasons in Division Three (South) before the restructuring of the league system for the 1958–59 season saw them placed in the newly created Fourth Division. They remained in this division until 1964, when manager Freddie Cox led them to promotion, winning the first championship in the club's history. The team finished the season level on 60 points with Carlisle United, but with a fractionally better goal average (1.967 against 1.948), which was the tightest league title finish in Football League history.

After relegation back to the Fourth Division in 1970–71, the Gills were soon promoted back to the Third Division in the 1973–74 season. After this the club seemed to find its level in Division Three, regularly mounting a challenge for promotion which ultimately fell short each time, never more so than in 1986–87 when they reached the play-offs only to lose in the final to Swindon Town. During this period the club produced future stars Steve Bruce and Tony Cascarino, who was famously bought from non-league Crockenhill in exchange for a set of tracksuits.

In 1987, the Gills hit the headlines when, on consecutive Saturdays, they beat Southend United 8–1 and Chesterfield 10–0, the latter a club record for a Football League match. Just a few months later, however, manager Keith Peacock was controversially sacked, and within 18 months the club had fallen into Division Four. The ensuing spell in the lower division brought little success, and in the 1992–93 Division Three campaign the Gills narrowly avoided relegation to the Football Conference.

Beset with financial problems, the club went into administration in January 1995, and by the end of the 1994–95 season faced the threat of being expelled from the Football League and closed down. In June 1995, however, a London-based businessman, Paul Scally, stepped in and bought the club. He brought in new manager Tony Pulis, who led Gillingham to promotion in his first season, finishing second in the old Division Three (now Football League Two).

In 1999 the Gills made the play-offs but lost in the Division Two play-off final to Manchester City. The Gills were 2–0 up with less than two minutes left only to see City score twice, the equaliser in injury time, and go on to win 3–1 in a penalty shoot-out. Soon after the play-off loss, Pulis was sacked for gross misconduct, and Peter Taylor appointed manager. In the 1999–00 season Gillingham qualified for the play-offs again, where they faced Wigan Athletic in the final at Wembley Stadium. The game finished 1–1 after 90 minutes, but, thanks to goals in extra time from substitutes Steve Butler and Andy Thomson, the Gills won 3–2 and were promoted to Division One for the first time.

Taylor then left to manage Leicester City, and Andy Hessenthaler was appointed as player-manager. He led the club to their best ever league finish of eleventh in the 2002–03 season, but the following season saw the club narrowly avoid relegation on goal difference. Hessenthaler resigned as manager in November 2004, and new boss Stan Ternent was unable to prevent the Gills' relegation to League One.

At the end of the 2007–08 season the club was relegated again, this time to League Two, but an immediate return to the third level was secured via the play-offs after beating Shrewsbury Town.

In the 2009–10 season, however, the Gills slipped into the bottom four on the last day, and were relegated back to League Two, having failed to win a single away game in the league all season. This resulted in manager Mark Stimson having his contract terminated, and Andy Hessenthaler was appointed as manager of the club for the second time. At the start of the 2012–13 season Hessenthaler was replaced by Martin Allen, who led the club to promotion as League Two champions in his first season in charge. However, shortly after winning League Two, Martin Allen was sacked in what many saw as a "surprise sacking" after a poor start to the season.

Peter Taylor returned for a second spell in charge, but following his sacking in December 2014 he was replaced by Justin Edinburgh which saw the Gils finish in 12th place.

The 2015–16 was his first full season in charge, Edinburgh led the Gills to a second-place position at Christmas, after a 3–0 victory against Millwall. Gillingham had also managed to defeat League favourites Sheffield United, with a 4–0 victory on the first day of the season. However, after a run of bad injuries to crucial players, Gillingham slipped to a ninth-place finish in League One, after losing on the last day of the season, against Millwall.

Edinburgh was sacked on 3 January 2017, along with his entire coaching team, with the club placed 17th in League One.

Last season Gillingham finished in 13th place.

On 21 May 2019, Steve Evans was announced as the new manager of Gillingham and began his role on 1 June 2019.

The Manager – Steve Evans

Match Referee – Tom Nield

IPSWICH TOWN 1 GILLINGHAM 0

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Gillingham FC EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:52 am

Frosty....... mate....... you need to get that avatar feckin changed dude! That “gobshite” Evans is looking like YOU up there ^^^^ :shock:

Looking forward to this one. Hearing how the alternative squad play will be interesting. What a position to be in if they can spank them 3-0 (or more) at PR ———> top with room to spare, games in hand, 2nd round of a cup ....... lambert is human and he’ll be getting flashbacks of the days when “things were just clicking”. Hope that’s not jinxing it, but can’t live life fearing things are going to go wrong.
ITFC 3 Frostys Gills 0

Ref caption;
Player: Aw no way ref, ya baldy bstd.
Ref: (struggling for a good comeback) In two years maybe.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:50 am

Except for about 800 million quid, we do often get mistaken for brothers mate. 😀

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:12 pm

Does this game serve as Wilson's 1 game ban and make him available Accrington?

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:17 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:12 pm
Yes Derick it does. According to the commentary on iFollow it does

That's rather handy if true

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:18 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:17 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:

Great, at least this fixture is good for something. :D

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:22 pm

Very true

Actually had thought of going myself to this game.. Sure to be entertainment in the dug outs

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:34 pm

Don't understand the need for this game or indeed tournament. If the club were to win it outright how many would feasibly be enthralled or excited. Way I see it if we can overcome Tottenham in this thing then Gillingham should be straight forward enough. Had a win over them in the actual league just recent and victory should be replicated this time also. Not sure how many will attend the game in question or what team Lambert will select or formation used. Bottom line it's a home win and further "progress" undertaken. Be interesting I guess to see what materializes thereafter.

Ipswich 3 Gillingham 1

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:15 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:

I’m not sure if it does. Brenner Wooley mentioned that on iFollow / wireless, as you say, that Wilson’s one match ban would be used up by the EFL game, but I think they may have changed the rules ie the ban only applies to the competition where you receive the ban. Or it could only apply to PL clubs.

I think we can handle Wilson being banned for the Accrington game if that is the case as we’ve got cover in defence.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:30 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:15 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:

I’m not sure if it does. Brenner Wooley mentioned that on iFollow / wireless, as you say, that Wilson’s one match ban would be used up by the EFL game, but I think they may have changed the rules ie the ban only applies to the competition where you receive the ban. Or it could only apply to PL clubs.

I think we can handle Wilson being banned for the Accrington game if that is the case as we’ve got cover in defence.
Heard the same thing about the rule change but have been unable to find any confirmation of this.
As you say we should be able to cover his suspension for the Accrington game if necessary.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:46 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:30 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Steve and Jo wrote:

Heard the same thing about the rule change but have been unable to find any confirmation of this.
As you say we should be able to cover his suspension for the Accrington game if necessary.
I believe and i could be totally wrong but the rule changing was for combination of yellow cards. Like reaching 5 yellow cards to have the suspension. Again i could be wrong but since this was two yellows to be sent off i believe the rule changes don't apply

Either way you are right i think barring anymore absentees we will be strong enough to cover

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:55 pm

I was led to believe on the way home Saturday that his ban will not be served tomorrow but will be against Accrington so who knows.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:10 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:46 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:30 pm
tangfastic wrote:

I believe and i could be totally wrong but the rule changing was for combination of yellow cards. Like reaching 5 yellow cards to have the suspension. Again i could be wrong but since this was two yellows to be sent off i believe the rule changes don't apply

Either way you are right i think barring anymore absentees we will be strong enough to cover
I’ve since read also that the rule-changes were for yellow cards only, not reds. So you could well be right.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:21 pm

In Nsiala’s absence skipper Luke Chambers, Luke Woolfenden and James Wilson have made impressive starts to the season but with the former Lincoln and Sheffield United man set to miss Town’s next League One game at Accrington a week on Sunday due to his red card at Fleetwood, the former Shrewsbury man could make his first league appearance of the campaign.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:53 pm

Town boss Paul Lambert says he’ll make the expected wholesale changes for Tuesday’s Leasing.com Trophy tie against Gillingham at Portman Road (KO 7.45pm).

A victory after 90 minutes or in the penalty shoot-out which would immediately follow - there’s no extra-time in the Leasing.com Trophy - would guarantee the Blues a place in the knockout phase of the competition, having won their opening fixture against Tottenham’s U21s 2-1 last month.

“We’ll make wholesale changes, lads that need games, lads that are coming back from injury, younger lads as well coming in. There’ll be wholesale changes,” Lambert confirmed, speaking after Saturday’s 1-0 win at Fleetwood.

Among those set to start are Will Keane, Toto Nsiala and Will Norris: “If Will Keane’s OK, we’ll see how he is, there’s a good chance he’ll play if he’s fine.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/images/news/8517_g.jpg

“The big lad [Nsiala] has been doing really well. He’ll come back into it. Will Norris will play in goal.”

Lambert was set to assess his squd and pick his team at training early in the week with Armando Dobra and Idris El Mizouni also among those likely to be in the XI: “We’ll see, on Sunday and Monday I’ll decide. The team will be fine.”

The Blues boss could switch his side back to 4-4-2 given the players he is probably looking to get a game against the Gills.

That would see Norris in goal, Janoi Donacien and Myles Kenlock the full-backs and Nsiala and James Wilson, whose one-match ban for his red card at the weekend only counts in League One, forcing him out of the game at Accrington a week on Sunday, at the centre of the defence.

In midfield, Emyr Huws is likely to be partnered by El Mizouni in the centre with Dobra and Danny Rowe - or Gwion Edwards - in the wide roles.

Up front, Will Keane will probably be joined by Jordan Roberts, the scorer of both Town goals in the 2-1 win against the Tottenham's youngsters.

Striker Tyreece Simpson and central defender Corrie Ndaba, who would be making his debut, are likely to play a part at some stage. 
 As in the previous Leasing.com Trophy game, Harry Wright may well be the sub keeper, while Bailey Clements is also likely to be among the subs having made his senior debut in the Carabao Cup tie at Luton in August
Should still be a pretty strong team capable of winning the game.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:54 pm

Haha this could get tasty on the touchline if the gobshite starts spouting his bile again.

Paul Lambert says he has no plans to shake hands with Gillingham manager Steve Evans either before or after Tuesday’s Leasing.com Trophy tie at Portman Road in the wake of the visitors’ boss’s comments at the recent League One match between the teams at the Priestfield Stadium, which the Blues won 1-0.

Evans, who had spent virtually the entire 90 minutes sniping at the fourth official and Town’s staff, claimed Lambert had “said something rather concerning during the game”, which the Blues manager later described as “complete rubbish and lies”.

Asked how he felt about Tuesday’s reunion after Saturday's game at Fleetwood, Lambert said: “I’ll give it the respect and credence it deserves. That’s it, I’ve nothing to say about him.”

He confirmed he would blank fellow Glaswegian Evans: “If that’s the way he wants to work, then no problem, but don’t expect me to shake your hand before it and don’t expect me to shake your hand after it. Nobody’s ever done that to me.”

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:34 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:54 pm
Haha this could get tasty on the touchline if the gobshite starts spouting his bile again.

Paul Lambert says he has no plans to shake hands with Gillingham manager Steve Evans either before or after Tuesday’s Leasing.com Trophy tie at Portman Road in the wake of the visitors’ boss’s comments at the recent League One match between the teams at the Priestfield Stadium, which the Blues won 1-0.

Evans, who had spent virtually the entire 90 minutes sniping at the fourth official and Town’s staff, claimed Lambert had “said something rather concerning during the game”, which the Blues manager later described as “complete rubbish and lies”.

Asked how he felt about Tuesday’s reunion after Saturday's game at Fleetwood, Lambert said: “I’ll give it the respect and credence it deserves. That’s it, I’ve nothing to say about him.”

He confirmed he would blank fellow Glaswegian Evans: “If that’s the way he wants to work, then no problem, but don’t expect me to shake your hand before it and don’t expect me to shake your hand after it. Nobody’s ever done that to me.”
Every chance it could be more interesting than the game. Glad I’m going now. :lol:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:26 am

Is this match being shown on the ifollow? Actually it might be on BoxNation. :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:11 pm

Not that I want this to happen , but wouldn’t surprise me if it went to penalties .

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:18 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:11 pm
Not that I want this to happen , but wouldn’t surprise me if it went to penalties .
If it does then perhaps we can bring Jackson on and let him take all 5 so he can practice hitting the target!😂

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:18 pm

Wow, that’s a lot of changes to the line up. Nice. 👍
Niasla starting as you were wanting to see, Mike.

Enjoy the game y’all.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:54 pm

1-0 town Huws COYB
Last edited by BLUEBLOOD on Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:06 pm

2-0 Roberts COYB

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:33 pm

HT 2-0

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:35 pm

As easy as it gets, Huws different class to this lot and so he should be.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:06 pm

3-0 OG given to rowe though
Last edited by BLUEBLOOD on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:06 pm

Important that he shows it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:23 pm

No idea what team Evans is playing tonight, (don’t care) but great to see Ipswich B team skelpin’ them. 👌🤘👏👏👏👏

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:32 pm

4-0 keane

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:37 pm

Superb! 👏👏👏 Keeping the winning going. This really is a pretty exciting time the attending fans are entering. 🤘🤘🤘