A warm glow....

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

A warm glow....

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:20 am

Oh my God! 😮, is this really happening? Are Town REALLY 7 points clear ( in the automatic promotion slots), with a game in hand, a quarter of the way through the season. We haven’t even got out of 2nd gear yet, from the games I’ve seen.

How things have changed since the Messiah, Paul Lambert took over less than a year ago. I now look forward to games, and walk to the ground with a spring in my step. Mind you , it’s been so long, so very long, in fact over 15years since Town fans have had anything to shout or get excited about, that even now, I still can’t allow myself to believe we will win when that whistle goes. It’s almost as if I’m a participant in wonderful dream, but if I turn over , the magic will evaporate, and I’ll wake up to find we still have the boring Mr McCarthy here at Portman Road, with the Yorkshireman’s ethos of , “we start wi a point, and il take that all day long”! Playing with 9 men behind the ball at home, rarely venturing over the half way line.

Under Paul Lambert, we now have glimpses of “ sexy” football ( McCarthy). We have wing backs that attack, we have Skuse showing his true Calibre, and 2 strikers terrorising defences. We have Chambers playing in a back three, showing that he is a good player, and leader. And we have a goal keeper that can finally catch and kick the ball! But best all of all, we have a manager that respects the fans, communicates with the fans, and engages with us, the like of which we haven’t seen since Bobby Robson’s days. The players are at one with the fans, and the fans are making THAT atmosphere happen again.

Of yes, it’s such a privilege to be a Town fan. We have our Club back in spades and Portman Road ROCKS again.

We are Ipswich.........are the “Town going UP”? If not, it’s going to be a helluva couple of teams that’s going stop us!

Edit:

“ You can see the togetherness at the end. It's a brilliant thing to see and something that's probably not been here for many years. The biggest achievement for me is reconnecting the football club.

"The club is in transition really. It's having to rebuild and reconnect with people. There's so much work to get done here it's incredible.

"It's not just what you see on the pitch, it's everywhere. But it's getting there. As I said before, once it does it will take off." [ Lambert]

Ando

Re: A warm glow....

Post by Ando » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:05 am

Agree with all what you have said Liz and long may it continue, that’s coming from me who’s generally the cautious type. As you say years of same old Ipswich engrained in us all is difficult to shift Completely.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:06 pm

Fab to read Liz. I’ve only been to one game this season, the opener at Burton and to be honest you could see it present there, especially the way the players reacted after the result, and the way Paul Lambert showed his appreciation to the players and the travelling fans.

Most important now is to keep it going, by all accounts we’ve ridden our luck and for a change luck has been very much on our side. It’s pretty certain it won’t stay this way all season and at some stage it’s likely we’ll have a difficult spell, but as long as everyone stays together, (Manager, players & fans) we should be able to see it through.

Yesterday’s result was an excellent one, hopefully we’ll have a similar outcome when we meet Wycombe next month but as we all know the banana skins often come in the most unlikely places and not always against the top teams. One thing for sure we really need to get out of this League at the first attempt if we can as it isn’t a League any team would want to be stuck in if it can be avoided.

Onwards and Upwards, enjoy it whilst we can.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:31 am

Hear hear, very nicely put. McCarthy was getting the team to just about survive on the pitch, but was killing the club in nearly every other way.

I will say however that Lambert really needs to get his clutch leg working soon, it's starting to get to me the amount of times I've read 'we haven’t even got out of 2nd gear yet'! Starting to think this mythical 3rd gear doesn't exist, but that's just fine by me if we keep on winning.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:52 am

That’s a relief Liz, when I first saw the title I thought your house was maybe on fire or something! 😉

Agree with your sentiments btw.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:14 pm

Hallam, you come on here talking sense, who the hell do you think you are !! :lol: :wink:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:28 pm

Not sure what level of warm glow you allude to. Sitting around a campfire in the tundras of Alaska or something. In any event while there's certain reason for optimism regards the start made many can't overlook or forgive the events of before. One or two scores aside since August you can argue the start has been steady if unspectacular.

It's only a handful of games in, nothing has been set in stone and there's still so much to achieve before anyone can claim the right that we're anywhere near a finished article. Caught an article on TWTD at the weekend where it was suggested would the team have done so well if still in the Championship. Reaction was mixed. Best you can ascertain right now is we're perhaps playing above ourselves (in a league) where many expected to struggle or make nowhere near the impact the team has shown thus far. Last season was horseshit. First the Hurst debacle and Lambert had ample time to make amends but the win to games ration even then was far from acceptable. I don't possess the adulation for Lambert as some others, maybe that's what it is or where the differences lie. Been with it all long enough to realize what's happened since August is no quick fix solution. Simple math we remain consistent and in or around the auto promotion places and maintain it till the business end of the season.

As someone else put it it's essential the club makes it back to second level at first attempt. Far too premature to be making judgments and still ample time for things to change. A long overdue run in the FA Cup would be beneficial if only for morale but then again many would have dismissed it out of hand as trivial and unnecessary before we're even entered into a draw. Won't get this time back but got every right to argue the point and pass opinion as before been with it long enough.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:08 pm

We know, we all know. Last season was sh*te, Season before not much better

We know, we all know ever since the days of Joe Royle left i would suggest Ipswich been in the mire apart from one season thanks to one forward who scored 27 goals i believe and we finished 6th in the Championship

point being its refreshing, the football in the main is so much better for now its not about not losing, its actually about winning. yes League one and yes sh*te grounds and teams not much better but Ipswich has to start somewhere right?

We cannot turn the clocks back, we cannot change what happened but all can do is hope the worse is behind us. I'm actually looking forward to going 45 miles every other Saturday to Ipswich play. Honestly been few years since could say that. Long long way to go and not just for this season but even if we go up. That cannot be seen as the finished article for we have to push on and on.

Paul Lambert knows this but for now i loved reading Hallam's post.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:10 pm

Steve and Jo wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:08 pm

We know, we all know ever since the days of Joe Royle left i would suggest Ipswich been in the mire apart from one season thanks to one forward who scored 27 goals i believe and we finished 6th in the Championship

point being its refreshing, the football in the main is so much better for now its not about not losing, its actually about winning. yes League one and yes sh*te grounds and teams not much better but Ipswich has to start somewhere right?

We cannot turn the clocks back, we cannot change what happened but all can do is hope the worse is behind us. I'm actually looking forward to going 45 miles every other Saturday to watch Ipswich play. Honestly been few years since could say that. Long long way to go and not just for this season but even if we go up. That cannot be seen as the finished article for we have to push on and on.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:25 pm

Steve and Jo wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:08 pm

We cannot turn the clocks back, we cannot change what happened but all can do is hope the worse is behind us. I'm actually looking forward to going 45 miles every other Saturday to Ipswich play. Honestly been few years since could say that. Long long way to go and not just for this season but even if we go up. That cannot be seen as the finished article for we have to push on and on.

Hear hear

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:11 pm

A warm glow indeed.
No reason we cannot do a Norwich under PL and get back to back promotions. Just need to see Norwood taking his chances and we will be laughing.
We have so much talent here at present and by far the best squad in the league.
And we still have Mike's favourite Freddie to come back :D

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:58 pm

Marvinbay1973 wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:11 pm
A warm glow indeed.
No reason we cannot do a Norwich under PL and get back to back promotions. Just need to see Norwood taking his chances and we will be laughing.
... and with a new manager at Millwall, maybe Bart’s loan will be cut short. Bart back in goal and Freddie banging in the one-on-one’s - no one can stop us.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:20 pm

The start has been "Steady if unspectacular" LMFAO, WTF do people want ???

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:21 pm

tangfastic wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:58 pm
Marvinbay1973 wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:11 pm
A warm glow indeed.
... and with a new manager at Millwall, maybe Bart’s loan will be cut short. Bart back in goal and Freddie banging in the one-on-one’s - no one can stop us.
Bart can f*ck off, we have a proper keeper now who keeps clean sheets.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:53 pm

Yep - no desire to see Bart back here. He was an over rated liability and we are well rid of him! I wish him well but away from Portman Road.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:25 am

Frosty wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:52 am
That’s a relief Liz, when I first saw the title I thought your house was maybe on fire or something! 😉

I thought it was sex!...phew.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:31 am

Blue Wilf wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:53 pm
Yep - no desire to see Bart back here. He was an over rated liability and we are well rid of him! I wish him well but away from Portman Road.
Can't believe I'm reading this. Player of the year for how many years?

Let's be sure to compare apples with apples. Holy has done everything that has been asked of him but I think we can agree that Leage 1 is a big step down from Championship. I suppose if Bart has a good season at Millwall then we will be able to cash in on him to raise funds for next year assuming we continue this good form until May (or maybe April will do :D ).

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:51 am

Dubai Blue wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:31 am
Blue Wilf wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:53 pm
Can't believe I'm reading this. Player of the year for how many years?

Let's be sure to compare apples with apples. Holy has done everything that has been asked of him but I think we can agree that Leage 1 is a big step down from Championship. I suppose if Bart has a good season at Millwall then we will be able to cash in on him to raise funds for next year assuming we continue this good form until May (or maybe April will do :D ).
:) Bloody hell, I only mentioned Bart as a gentle wind up to Mike as I know he doesn’t rate both Bart and Freddie. :D

Best case scenario - Bart does well and we can offload him for a bit of cash as DB says.. and good luck to him. Been a good servant and player for the club, apart from last year. If he didn’t justify POTY three times in a row... it doesn’t automatically make him a bad player. That’sjust squabbling between fans and we need to keep the glow warm.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:12 pm

Sorry Dubai but Bart is nothing more than an average keeper at best who has made his name by being a very good shot stopper, every other part of his game is flawed and comes second best to Holy every time, it matters not what division we are in, Holy can catch, kick, punch, command his area, talk to his defence, rush off his line etc etc, all the things Bart was pretty much inept at !!

If we are using winning POTS as a yardstick then how come Chambers won in last season despite every man and his dog calling him crap week after week and wanting him dropped ? It means nothing and besides Tom Lawrence and Martyn Waghorn should have won it over Bart every day of the week, it was the usual fans fav vote !!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:13 pm

Charnwood wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:06 pm
Fab to read Liz. I’ve only been to one game this season, the opener at Burton and to be honest you could see it present there, especially the way the players reacted after the result, and the way Paul Lambert showed his appreciation to the players and the travelling fans.

Most important now is to keep it going, by all accounts we’ve ridden our luck and for a change luck has been very much on our side. It’s pretty certain it won’t stay this way all season and at some stage it’s likely we’ll have a difficult spell, but as long as everyone stays together, (Manager, players & fans) we should be able to see it through.

Yesterday’s result was an excellent one, hopefully we’ll have a similar outcome when we meet Wycombe next month but as we all know the banana skins often come in the most unlikely places and not always against the top teams. One thing for sure we really need to get out of this League at the first attempt if we can as it isn’t a League any team would want to be stuck in if it can be avoided.

Onwards and Upwards, enjoy it whilst we can.
Thanks Charny, it’s been along time dunce us Town fans have enjoyed Match days I think . Just hope we don’t get too complacent and blow it. Let’s just get to job done then celebrate at the end of the season.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:15 pm

number 9 wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:25 am
Frosty wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:52 am

I thought it was sex!...phew.
Lol , they reckon you boys think about sex every 5mins ..... 😂

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:16 pm

Bluemike wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:14 pm
Hallam, you come on here talking sense, who the hell do you think you are !! :lol: :wink:
Lol, Don’t be late tonight 😁👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:16 pm

Hallam the only warm glow you'll be interested in today is when you stagger out of the pub to head to the ground !!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:19 pm

Ha ha you read my mind. And if you drink 3 pints of cider again I’ll be carrying you to the ground!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:11 pm

3 is easy !!!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:54 pm

I thought you had pissed yourself but that doesn't stay warm long. Because I did when I read this.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:19 pm

Who pissed themselves ? :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:56 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ipswich-Town ... Sw6tNdmdrv

This is giving me a warm glow. Anyone want a bidding war?

That is one good condition smart top.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:09 pm

I’d be bidding if it was this top. Had this all those years ago, (without the pioneer on it) .... loved it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:10 pm

Not keen on either of those Marko tbh.