A blip or a more accurate reflection?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Andym

A blip or a more accurate reflection?

Post by Andym » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:00 pm

Sunday's result was obviously a disappointment. I don't think the international break or being on Sky is anything other than an excuse.

Part of me thinks May be this was a temporary blip. We were without 4 key players after all, and those who came it did little to boost their chances of being regulars.

The other side of the argument is that we are constantly being told by the media that we have the strongest squad in the division. So shouldn't those 4 have been up to it?

I suspect many of us were dismayed at the starting line-up, playing with one up front. Jackson simply can't perform in that role. Even more frustrating is that we persevered with a line striker throughout.

Edwards as wing back was also a poor choice. He didn't play well but he isn't a defender. Team selection was difficult but I think the manager got it wrong which didn't help.

But the most important point is this. We have played badly in many first halves this season. We have been fortunate that other teams haven't taken their chances before yesterday and have scraped home in the sevond hslf. We actually started the second half a bit brighter again yesterday, largely down to the introduction of Dobra and Rowe, both of whom showed some urgency. But why Keane wasn't brought on to give a second striker I'll never know. But it was too late by then, as it could have been in previous games if the opposition had put chances away.

The greater urgency produced nothing as we lacked a goal threat, and Dobra's dismissal ended any hope of a comeback.

I keep reading that we have another gear to go up and we will tear someone apart. I'm really not convinced yet.

Tangfastic

Re: A blip or a more accurate reflection?

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:21 am

I see where you’re coming from. We haven’t been dominating games or playing consistently good football. Maybe we didn’t need to play well to win games thus far.

If it is a more accurate reflection then we’ll know over a period of a few games or maybe even over the entire season. I’d say a blip or a slump would be over 3 or 4 or 5 games where we don’t perform or get results.

I think (or I’d like to think ) we just were missing key players and Lambert didn’t pick the right team. And 1 loss in 12 isn’t bad in anyone’s standards.

A decent winning performance against Rotherham would put us back on track.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:12 am

I sometimes see a blimp in my reflection.

Mike says, “aye right, sometimes?!”

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:10 pm

It's inevitable that after the first loss there are going to be negative points expressed and questions asked, but I think that's fair, it's the first time anyone has been able to be to voice any hint of a concern or criticism without being pointed towards the league table and shot down with a sharp "WHAT MORE DO YOU BLOODY WANT?!".

It has been an amazing start and will have given the team great confidence going forward, performance wise we've been solid without really deserving to be run away league leaders.

I think it worth taking this opportunity to say lets not carried away, it's going to be a long hard season and there are plenty of things still to work out. I think the start was imperative and has helped make some teams give us more respect than we deserve and some games have gone our way when they could have gone either way.

Just my opinion, really don't want people to start arguing if we don't continue the same league dominance through the season, because I think there is a good chance we won't and we need to keep getting behind the team and seeing them through dips.

See it as a blip, get back on the horse tomorrow night and it will soon be in the past, we've given ourselves a great base to work from.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:34 pm

I agree. A win tomorrow would be good. I remember when we played them at home last season. We won but they threw everything at us in the second half.

Thanks to those who posted above. I expected some abuse but its good to see that we all want the best but are aware that it won't be plain sailing. Let's hope some of the injured are fit to return.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:04 pm

I think Sunday’s result is more of a reality check for those fans who feel its all going to be a walk in the park (getting promotion this season), because it’s going to be anything but that, I feel it’s going to be nip and tuck all the way until the end if the season for me. Wednesday s game is going to be bloody tough and I doubt the players missing Sunday will be fit to play yet.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:38 pm

Well apart from us and Wycombe everyone else has had 3 or 4 reality checks cus thats how many times the fancied sides around us have lost already so I'm still more than confident promotion will be achieved, I'm not getting carried away by one poor result, even if we lose tomorrow I will still be 100% confident because our squad is the best in the division. It was nothing more than "one of those days" we were poor and we got it wrong, add to that key decisions went against us.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:38 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:34 pm
I expected some abuse.....
No, you need to pay extra for the abuse package, Andy. Frosty is currently putting together a new abuse package that'll include chains, whips and hot wax on the nipples. He's heard its great and is looking for customers. Shall I put your name down? Top quality abuse, guaranteed.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:44 pm

At least we have Wilson back.

The reaction will be intriguing to see and would be good to go two up front with recognised forwards

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:47 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:38 pm
Andym wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:34 pm
I expected some abuse.....
No, you need to pay extra for the abuse package, Andy. Frosty is currently putting together a new abuse package that'll include chains, whips and hot wax on the nipples. He's heard its great and is looking for customers. Shall I put your name down? Top quality abuse, guaranteed.
Andy’s got a hot date with the pope next year if we manage to get promoted - he’ll get abused properly there.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:48 pm

Hahahahahahaha!!! Well remembered. :lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:57 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:38 pm
Well apart from us and Wycombe everyone else has had 3 or 4 reality checks cus thats how many times the fancied sides around us have lost already so I'm still more than confident promotion will be achieved, I'm not getting carried away by one poor result, even if we lose tomorrow I will still be 100% confident because our squad is the best in the division. It was nothing more than "one of those days" we were poor and we got it wrong, add to that key decisions went against us.
I’m still confident whatever happens the next couple of games, but I do wonder how good our squad is. It’s strong on paper - but there’s a few players already mentioned underperforming. On the surface, Lambert supports his players, but I hope he has had a few strong words with some of them in private. Judge, to be one. The core of the side has been doing well and has credit in the bank, but there’s a few just not doing enough when called upon.
How often do we hear the same things being said about Judge and Dozzell when they play?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:37 pm

I agree and as i said post game on this occasion Lambert got it completely wrong in my opinion, formation, personnel, tactics the lot but you take 4 key players out of any team in this division and they would struggle, that's a fact.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:12 pm

I’m not sure what Lambert meant by his comment that Huws and Keane can’t play 2 games back to back.
Does this mean that are both definitely starting tomorrow night? Neither had played for 12 days before the Accrington game and if he had no intention of using them why were they on the bench? It seems to me he may have been looking ahead to tomorrow’s game which imo if that was the case it is a mistake as you should concentrate on winning the game you are about to play first.
Reminds me a bit like when Mick used to play a weaken team in the cups in order to field a strong side for the next league game and then it used to go tits up. Hopefully that won’t be the case tomorrow night.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:43 pm

We will go up based on what I’ve seen so far this season. Not because we are good, because of how bad the standard in league 1 is. Maybe I’m negative as Good teams win playing bad (I’ve said that lots) however we only show what we are capable of in glimpses. Maybe it’s mkre a case of average teams beat sh*te.

That said... KVY, Wilson, Downes and Norwood were massive losses, what other team would win with 4 key players missing?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:24 pm

A few other reality checks kicking around tonight, not least top of the Championship WBA losing 0-2 at half time at home to bottom club Barnsley, and in our league Bristol Rovers trailing 0-2 playing at home to bottom side Bolton.

I guess we’re not alone when it comes to surprise results, these things just happen and our wonderful game is all the better for it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:40 pm

Exactly !!! One defeat is not a reality check, lose again tomorrow and maybe it could be classed as one.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:41 pm

Top of the league, Two games in hand, I'll take that !!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:50 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:24 pm
A few other reality checks kicking around tonight, not least top of the Championship WBA losing 0-2 at half time at home to bottom club Barnsley, and in our league Bristol Rovers trailing 0-2 playing at home to bottom side Bolton.

I guess we’re not alone when it comes to surprise results, these things just happen and our wonderful game is all the better for it.
Swansea burst my coupon tonight. 3-0 home loss to Brentford? Not saying Brentford are Shyte or anything but expected Swansea to win this at home. 3-0 is unbelievable.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:58 pm

Reality check

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:03 pm

Bonkers !!! Where have i heard that before? Sorry thought it was funny
Last edited by Steve and Jo on Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:19 pm

Just shows really.. Bolton won tonight also. They have really improved

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:35 pm

Yes, great result for Bolton wasn’t it.

Secretly rooting for them to save themselves from relegation.

Well, that’s ^^^^ not a secret anymore.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:43 am

I'm concerned I've got to admit. Even though we have had a few players missing last Sunday our squad is big enough and that was the opportunity for some to shine but they have failed to do so.

Really hope that Sunday was a blip as Lambert got it utterly wrong. Team selection, substitutions and tactics.

We have looked disjointed at some games. Too often for my liking. Lambert saying some strange things, his post-Gillingham match comments for instance: 'we were excellent' whereas we actually weren't.

In my opinion we still look like a side that is getting by just because we have a few players too good for this league and the league itself is a sheer trash.

As for tonight I'm anxious and dreading the Rotherham game but the positive response is imperative. IFollow for £10 for me.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:48 am

marko69 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:35 pm

Hey marko, I’m coming out of the closet too then. I really want Bolton to survive ( as I expect half the footie fans in the UK do). I think it’s the old underdog thingy isn’t it. We do love em in this Country don’t we 👍

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:03 am

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:43 am

Really hope that Sunday was a blip as Lambert got it utterly wrong. Team selection, substitutions and tactics.

We have looked disjointed at some games. Too often for my liking. Lambert saying some strange things, his post-Gillingham match comments for instance: 'we were excellent' whereas we actually weren't.

I agree I think Lambert did get it wrong Sunday. It’s clear to see Jackson needs a proper strike partner to get the best out of him. So why Keane was not introduced is a mystery to me.

Also agree we have looked disjointed in some games but that’s part and parcel of team sports you can’t be great every week. I would tend to agree with PL’s Gillingham quote because we were solid in defence and kept a good shape so from that perspective we were excellent. Could we have been more fluid in possession, absolutely. Let’s not forget the 25 pass move for the goal.

I just think sometimes we tend to judge the team by how we are on the ball and rightly so as it’s what we pay to watch. But to a coach what we do out of possession is equally important.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:10 am

Ando wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:03 am
Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:

I agree I think Lambert did get it wrong Sunday. It’s clear to see Jackson needs a proper strike partner to get the best out of him. So why Keane was not introduced is a mystery to me.

Also agree we have looked disjointed in some games but that’s part and parcel of team sports you can’t be great every week. I would tend to agree with PL’s Gillingham quote because we were solid in defence and kept a good shape so from that perspective we were excellent. Could we have been more fluid in possession, absolutely. Let’s not forget the 25 pass move for the goal.

I just think sometimes we tend to judge the team by how we are on the ball and rightly so as it’s what we pay to watch. But to a coach what we do out of possession is equally important.
II couldn’t work out why Keane wasn’t introduced either. It’s been said before that he was being saved for tonight - which doesn’t sound good for Norwoods chances. But then again - why was he and Huws on the bench in the first place? If they’re not fit - don’t put them on the bench. I’d rather have Roberts on the bench than a player that Lambert doesn’t trust with his fitness.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:40 am

Ando wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:03 am
Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:

That's an excellent point Ando, all too often those aspects of performances are very much ignored, not to mention the 26 pass move for the goal which was on a different planet to anything Gillingham had to offer.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:13 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:48 am
marko69 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:35 pm

Hey marko, I’m coming out of the closet too then. I really want Bolton to survive ( as I expect half the footie fans in the UK do). I think it’s the old underdog thingy isn’t it. We do love em in this Country don’t we 👍
Thank the sweet mother of Jaysus you quoted my words, Hallam. If you'd posted about me coming out the closet without quoting........, then my other secret would be out too! :D

Imagine I'd used the "winking" emotion there ^^^^ ....., you wouldn't know what to believe eh? :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:17 pm

Unfortunately this is looking more than a blip. 🤔🧐🤭

Just hoping it doesn’t turn into a crisis.