Ipswich Town vs Rotherham Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bounce back?

Ipswich Win
60%
Rotherham Win
40%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 10

number 9

Re: Ipswich Town vs Rotherham Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:01 pm

Why are we so sh*t? We’re top of the league, but it appears we’re not really making any progress. We have several close wins where we haven’t deserved 3 points. Lambert needs to sort this out in a hurry before the blip blows!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:02 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:34 pm
Turd. Think I’ll watch the apprentice at 9

The Apprentice has just won in this house, I can’t take anymore tonight ☹️

...tho I’m sure I’ll be following online.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:09 pm

Apparently we have the strongest squad in the division!!

I believe the real reason is we've been overachieving and haven't re-found our rhythm, and Rotherham are not as bad as their league position suggested.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:18 pm

Unbelieveable!!

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:20 pm

It's almost as if we don't have a clue what to do with the ball.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:24 pm

Peterborough move into pole position. Jeez what’s happening?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:26 pm

Ricco wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:09 pm
Apparently we have the strongest squad in the division!!

I believe the real reason is we've been overachieving and haven't re-found our rhythm, and Rotherham are not as bad as their league position suggested.

As I mentioned earlier Rotherham are far more successful on the road than they are at home.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:30 pm

I'm sorry but it's that f**king bad I have switched ifollow off. The last 2 performances worryingly have reminded me of last season utter crap.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:30 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:24 pm

Simple Johnny, we’ve given pole away.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:37 pm

It looks like Rotherham are going to hold on for their 5th clean sheet of the season.

Only 3 shots, 2 on target all night really isn’t good enough, as best I recall these numbers were 2 and 2 very early on suggesting we had a difficult night ?

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:38 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:30 pm
JohnnyB wrote:

Yup. Southend away suddenly season defining

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:45 pm

Well that was f**king horse sh*t, you can call that a reality check!!!!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:55 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:38 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:30 pm
JohnnyB wrote:

Yup. Southend away suddenly season defining
[
/quote]

Slight over reaction i feel. :shock:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:10 pm

More the worry we can’t score at Accrington Stanley and tonight Peterborough put four past the same team.

We must be doing something horribly wrong.

Hopefully PL can put his finger on it sometime soon or we’re likely to have a confidence crisis that could quickly take hold,

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:15 pm

Just home - that was dire. We were out muscled, out run and got what we deserved - nothing. The first goal seemed to be a bit of a fluke as I think Holy was unsighted and the second was after a Scuse error. Having said that, we offered nothing in terms of threat at all. We lost every header and every second ball all night. My daughter even asked (correctly), why are we trying long throws and hoof ball every time when they win every header? We had no width and no midfield yet only changed to 4 4 2 late on.

What was strange was that, despite 20k people there, the atmosphere pre game and throughout was really really subdued. It was one of those games where everyone - yes, everyone played poorly. We often get a few off colour but this was the whole team. Very, very disappointing. As Mike says, a reality check - big style. I hated the boo boys at half time and full time (something I would never do) - that is not supporting a team at all but we were, truly awful.

Roll on Southend and lets get the show back on the road...

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:18 pm

Didn't ever think 40% of the vote would be correct. Certainly not at Portman Road. Really hoping that "accurate reflection" isn't real.

Bounce back riding the blimp on saturday v Sarf'End. Sure of it. Just you be sure of it also, Paul.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:19 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:14 am
some of the nonsense already being written by the ingenious amateur scribes among us is truly hilarious, "Lambert doesn't know what he is doing" "I've never rated Lambert" "we'll be lucky to finish Mid table" just a few of the pearls of wisdom i've seen so far and while I have said Lambert got it wrong on this occasion for me those kind of comments and the goons that writhe them are idiotic,

Bluemike can you just confirm that none of the above has been said on this forum? (Taken from your thoughts)

None of the above has been said yet, but .......I wonder how long for ?

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:26 pm

Best squad in the league, eh? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Best f***ing squad my arse !!!

Some of us have been voicing concerns over under par performances in which we have had narrow wins/draws. But for the others there have been no issues at all, no problems whatsoever because we have been winning.

Such a healthy position at the top after the Fleetwood game and all have been squandered so quickly.

We can lose the games but the manner in which this has happened tonight really pissed me off. Such a promising start when Huws' shot from the close range was parried by their keeper and that was first and last real chance for us. What on earth Chambers have done for their goal? Perfect assist. Soon after that Ladapo missed a sitter for them too.

Even Stevie Wonder would have seen that the diamond formation wasn't working at all in the first half so changes ought to have been made after the first 30 minutes to give us a new system, to give us a width. What was Lambert waiting for? Nothing wasn't working out for us. Vincent-Young and Garbutt were unable to offer anything as full-backs as there was no help in front of them. But we kept resorting to the direct football which was very easy to deal with for the Rotherham defence. No service from midfield at all towards strikers, Skuse opting for easy option just to keep passing backwards and sideways. No threat at all from us whereas there was a danger every time when Rotherham were surging forward. By the end of first half Smith's header went over the bar. A few chances for them, nothing from us, from the 'best squad in the league'.

Second half in which Rotherham should have scored more than they did. Their second goal and what did Skuse do? Dear me :roll: Soon after Holy saves us from conceding another one.

58 minute's moment summed us up today as Garbutt sent a pointless long ball towards no-one.

Georgiou's introduction made us a bit more lively for the following 10-15 minutes but without a real threat. Rotherham would comfortably close us down while making quick counter attacks. Ogbene wasted an opportunity for them following a decent cross and 5 minutes later they hit the post.

0-2 has FLATTERED us tonight !!! It ought to have been 0-4 at least.

Any positives today? We haven't seen Dozzell and Judge on the pitch and that's the solitary one.

All these past lacklustre performances in which everything was rosy for some are hitting us back now. We have no pattern of play, no style, Lambert keeps rotating the team in a stunning way, changing the squad like socks. Have we been found out? Are the wheels are coming off?

People will be saying we need to respond against Southend but with this squad EVERY RESULT is possible. Even the defeat against Southend who have conceded 40 goals in 14 games isn't unlikely. We had to respond tonight and we have failed to do so. Very, very bad performance and there are no excuses at all. Rotherham were by far more threatening than us and the manner in which we have lost makes me really worried and concerned.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:34 pm

I think I’ve read enough, I need my bed 😴

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:04 am

So what the hell happened here then. Only got the score late, been too busy with other stuff elsewhere. Never expected to get beat by them again, it's Rotherham for fucks sake, not Hungary of the 1950's. Accrington who beat us last game, were smashed 4 - 0 this night also ? Really don't know what else to add to this.

Saying anything negative or berating Lambert goes beyond the pale / is futile / somewhat prohibited (delete as appropriate) but very disappointed to learn of what occurred out there tonight. Down to second place isn't the end of the world and we still got a game in hand over other challengers but really, we should be beating opposition such as this particularly with a home advantage.

Get tired of hearing we got the best players / manager / set-up et cetera er cetera in the league when the last two games evidently dictate we haven't. Just pissed off with things really, tonight seemed a given for three points but instead learn of another lame performance and missed opportunity. I don't want to be labeled something depressive or take pleasure from castigating the team in times of need, it's not like that. Frustration above all else maybe, many would argue the team should still be unbeaten or in fact taken six points from the last two encounters. Still, everything for play for and in a position right now that many couldn't had envisaged back in August. Just annoyed at the turn in fortune from before but in no way is the club in freefall. Lambert needs to emphasize to the players - and to himself - today wasn't acceptable and perhaps complacency took a hand in tonight and previous fixture.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:04 am

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:26 pm
Best squad in the league, eh? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Best f***ing squad my arse !!!

Some of us have been voicing concerns over under par performances in which we have had narrow wins/draws. But for the others there have been no issues at all, no problems whatsoever because we have been winning.

Such a healthy position at the top after the Fleetwood game and all have been squandered so quickly.

We can lose the games but the manner in which this has happened tonight really pissed me off. Such a promising start when Huws' shot from the close range was parried by their keeper and that was first and last real chance for us. What on earth Chambers have done for their goal? Perfect assist. Soon after that Ladapo missed a sitter for them too.

Even Stevie Wonder would have seen that the diamond formation wasn't working at all in the first half so changes ought to have been made after the first 30 minutes to give us a new system, to give us a width. What was Lambert waiting for? Nothing wasn't working out for us. Vincent-Young and Garbutt were unable to offer anything as full-backs as there was no help in front of them. But we kept resorting to the direct football which was very easy to deal with for the Rotherham defence. No service from midfield at all towards strikers, Skuse opting for easy option just to keep passing backwards and sideways. No threat at all from us whereas there was a danger every time when Rotherham were surging forward. By the end of first half Smith's header went over the bar. A few chances for them, nothing from us, from the 'best squad in the league'.

Second half in which Rotherham should have scored more than they did. Their second goal and what did Skuse do? Dear me :roll: Soon after Holy saves us from conceding another one.

58 minute's moment summed us up today as Garbutt sent a pointless long ball towards no-one.

Georgiou's introduction made us a bit more lively for the following 10-15 minutes but without a real threat. Rotherham would comfortably close us down while making quick counter attacks. Ogbene wasted an opportunity for them following a decent cross and 5 minutes later they hit the post.

0-2 has FLATTERED us tonight !!! It ought to have been 0-4 at least.

Any positives today? We haven't seen Dozzell and Judge on the pitch and that's the solitary one.

All these past lacklustre performances in which everything was rosy for some are hitting us back now. We have no pattern of play, no style, Lambert keeps rotating the team in a stunning way, changing the squad like socks. Have we been found out? Are the wheels are coming off?

People will be saying we need to respond against Southend but with this squad EVERY RESULT is possible. Even the defeat against Southend who have conceded 40 goals in 14 games isn't unlikely. We had to respond tonight and we have failed to do so. Very, very bad performance and there are no excuses at all. Rotherham were by far more threatening than us and the manner in which we have lost makes me really worried and concerned.
Spot on Mach they were clueless. KVY and Garbutt were so ineffective in this match, they are better in a 3-5-2. I think PL needs to stop chopping and changing and get a settled system and way of playing. Hopefully we will have what we all consider our best 11 out at Southend with the return of Norwood and Downes for 90 mins and Wolfy returning to a back 3. But PL will probably play Judge and Dozzell. :shock:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:25 am

saint jude wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:04 am
So what the hell happened here then. Only got the score late, been too busy with other stuff elsewhere. Never expected to get beat by them again, it's Rotherham for fucks sake, not Hungary of the 1950's. Accrington who beat us last game, were smashed 4 - 0 this night also ? Really don't know what else to add to this.

Saying anything negative or berating Lambert goes beyond the pale / is futile / somewhat prohibited (delete as appropriate) but very disappointed to learn of what occurred out there tonight. Down to second place isn't the end of the world and we still got a game in hand over other challengers but really, we should be beating opposition such as this particularly with a home advantage.

Get tired of hearing we got the best players / manager / set-up et cetera er cetera in the league when the last two games evidently dictate we haven't. Just pissed off with things really, tonight seemed a given for three points but instead learn of another lame performance and missed opportunity. I don't want to be labeled something depressive or take pleasure from castigating the team in times of need, it's not like that. Frustration above all else maybe, many would argue the team should still be unbeaten or in fact taken six points from the last two encounters. Still, everything for play for and in a position right now that many couldn't had envisaged back in August. Just annoyed at the turn in fortune from before but in no way is the club in freefall. Lambert needs to emphasize to the players - and to himself - today wasn't acceptable and perhaps complacency took a hand in tonight and previous fixture.

First lesson, Saint, three points in this league should never be taken as a given, especially against a team who have a better away record than at home. Rotherham have taken eight points at the New York Stadium and 13 points on their travels, only rarely has any team scored more than one goal against them. Certainly last night was “no given” to collect three points and if anyone thought that they were definitely wrong.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:37 am

Even though Rotherham are a far better team than Accrington, I found that far more depressing to watch. It didn’t just seem like a bad day at the office. Really poor defending for the first goal - just letting the opposition get the ball around our box and then Skuse gifting them a goal for the second. That second goal was a killer. Fair play to Rotherham- better organised and wanting the ball more than us.

We’re now up against the worst team in the league and I think our team will be a bit nervy. Lambert needs to give some tough love and get a performance out of that team.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:56 am

saint jude wrote:
Really don't know what else to add to this.

And then ...........

saint jude wrote:

:lol: Must set aside some time when you have got something to add, Saint.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:39 am

saint jude wrote:

Saint, not for the first time you’ve made reference to posts or comments being deleted by Mods. I’m not aware of myself or any other Mod deleting any of your comments, maybe you would explain the point you’re trying to make and perhaps let me have examples. I will then investigate.
As far as I’m aware very few posts get deleted or modified and even then only when they are deemed to be either aggressive, overly antagonistic, personally attacking an individual or racist.
I await your examples.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:06 am

I think we’re on the verge of having a confidence crisis and it needs tackling as a matter of urgency before it takes hold.

We saw the same thing happen last season when we couldn’t handle the pressure of a relegation dog fight which resulted in teams with worse squads than ours surviving whilst we were relegated, I think much of this was to do with our mental fragility.

What we’re now seeing is a team struggling with the pressure of being at the top, the same mental frailty that caused last years problems. There’s a clear psychology to winning and we don’t seem to have it when it’s most needed.

Whilst I’ve never questioned Luke Chambers performance as a Club Captain I am now, as we seem to be missing leadership on the pitch when it’s most needed, this is only an observation from afar so I’d welcome the thoughts of anyone who has watched our recent performances live.

If I were Paul Lambert I’d be bringing in a top sports psychologist to make sure these players are in the right frame of mind and believe in themselves because at the moment I think this “winning psychology” is missing.

I don’t think we’re in crisis yet, (for God’s sake we’re still 2nd in the table), but there are worrying signs that something is missing.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:51 am

We aren't in crisis Andy, we've played badly and lost Two games on the bounce, for me its nothing more. Lambert got it completely wrong Sunday and to a degree a bit again last night, he needs to get back to the Three CB'S who served us so well with the 5 successive clean sheets, I think everyone has forgotten that. We also need to get Downes into the team at every opportunity, he is now one of our most important players and was definitely missed the last Two game.

Now that some are deciding to mock the "strongest squad " theory that some of us believe to be the case I would like to hear who people think is the strongest squad in this division, for me it is us and the first blip certainly doesn't have me changing my mind at the drop of a hat in true "Ipswich style". So who are the strongest?

Peterborough ? Top but played a game more and lost more than us ?

Fleetwood? Below us and beaten by us, lost more than us.

Wycombe? Only team to lose less than us but below us having played a game more.

Sunderland? Lost more than us, outplayed by us and fighting to get into Top six ?

Oxford ? Playing well but lost more than us and below us?

Coventry? See above

Bristol Rovers ? See above

Who has the best squad based on the facts? I will stick with us as we go top if anything is gained from our game in hand. The strongest squad has nothing to do with current form, everyone is losing games at any given time, it just happens to be our turn atm, thankfully we've still lost less than virtually everyone else.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:13 am

Mike, I’m not sure many are mocking the strongest squad theory - but questioning it. If we’re that strong, players should inter-change when required.

If Norwood is missing - then we have problems replacing his physicality up front.

If KVY is missing - I don’t see an adequate replacement at full back.

If Downes is missing - we miss that bite in midfield.

Also, Garbutt is not really a full-back. Better going forward and I think we don’t have adequate cover at LB. So we’ve got some decent players on paper, but in areas we are a bit light and we have to stick square pegs in round holes.

Look - no time for panic, but I think we weren’t as good as we thought we are. We were getting complacent, I think it’ll be a lot tougher from now on and maybe we’ll need to manage expectations better. But we’re still in promotion territory where we want to be.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:21 am

I didn't say many, I said some. As i said before take 4 key players out of any team and they will struggle, for instance take Toney and Eisa out of Peterboroughs team and they'd have scored hardly a goal, we've had injuries. So my question is, who in your opinion has the strongest squad ?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:34 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:21 am
I didn't say many, I said some. As i said before take 4 key players out of any team and they will struggle, for instance take Toney and Eisa out of Peterboroughs team and they'd have scored hardly a goal, we've had injuries. So my question is, who in your opinion has the strongest squad ?
I don’t know, but strongest squad on paper doesn’t mean strongest squad in reality. Posh might have two goal scorers but they’re creating lots of chances and maybe they have others who can score. If we take out Jackson and Norwood we could well struggle more than them. Could we rely on Keane leading the line on his own?

If we’re looking at our squad or fringe players - has Dozzell, Edwards or Judge performed? Keane and Huws are not truly fit and obviously Lambert doesn’t trust them with any game time. Donacien and Roberts are making up the numbers. Kenlock has gone of the radar. Danny Rowe doesn’t look the same player from the first couple of games.

Maybe we have the strongest team, but unconvinced ATM that fringe players can step in when required - which is what a strong squad is. I’d say keeping key players fit could be most important, which also says something about our squad strength.